Menu

"Roxanne" as a girl's name ...

Gut reaction when I hear the name "Roxanne" for a baby girl:  

1. 1. Gut reaction when I hear the name "Roxanne" for a baby girl:

• Cue chorus/ "You don't have to put on the red light ..."
    • Nope. The Police song didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.
    • Even after you mention it, the Police song reference doesn't stick with me.

Sorry, The Police pretty much eliminated it as a name choice for me. Even if you can be past the subject matter of the song, the grating/screeching sound Sting makes when saying the name (I can't bring myself to call it singing) wouldn't be something I'd wish to doom a person to be associated with.

ETA: :lol: And I'd even answered before I saw the poll.

Sorry, The Police pretty much eliminated it as a name choice for me. Even if you can be past the subject matter of the song, the grating/screeching sound Sting makes when saying the name (I can't bring myself to call it singing) wouldn't be something I'd wish to doom a person to be associated with.

The song came into my mind immediatey, before I ever saw the poll choices. :D I think you may have a point.

Geo

:iagree::iagree:

The song came into my mind immediatey, before I ever saw the poll choices. :D I think you may have a point.

:iagree:

My best friend and I used to mock that song by screeching it in the most raunchy way possible (yes, even worse than Sting did it) whenever it came on. We loved it when it came on the radio while we were driving around! :lol:

:001_smile:

Yes, I have had my share of serenades, but not nearly enough to have ever let it bother me(and I am 41). If you were thinking about naming a child Roxanne now, I think it would be a non-issue, because most of her peers would hardly even know who the Police are.

Okay ~ comments and poll pretty much reflect what my SIL and I thought LOL.

I feel a bit :blush: that Cyrano didn't even occur to me; some well-read, classical homeschooler *I* am!! I had also long forgotten about the Steve Martin movie. I don't know which is the worse association!

Apologies for posting this on the wrong subforum, but thanks for chiming in and confirming our suspicions :)

I didn't think of the Police, but I'd also not choose a name with bad connotations for one of the parents, even if the other liked it. I wanted "Josiah" for #3, but dh knew a Josiah in person that really grated on his nerves. So, it was back to the drawing board. We eventually found a name we both liked. :001_smile:

I love the name, and it's unusual but still 'normal' which is hard to find. It reminds me more of Cyrano de Bergerac than the Police, so that's a good thing!

I do like the movie, but Roxanne was a hit when I was in high school, so naturally that always comes to mind even though I've known a couple of Roxannes in my life. I even went to school with a Roxanne for awhile then and she HATED the song.

Wait--was Roxanne the name of the herione in the real one???? Sorry, I thought of the Steve Martin movie, which I liked when it was new.

Just curious about those of you who didn't think of the Police song. Are you all young, as in under 40 or, more likely, under 30:)? Or from somewhere else? I know one poster wasn't allowed to listen to that stuff.

Edited by Karin
typed too fast and saw my typo in a quote

Just curious about those of you who didn't think of the Police song. Are you all young, as in under 40 or, more likely, under 30:)? Or from somewhere else? I know one poster wasn't allowd to listen to that stuff.

Over 40 here, but I thought of Roseanne first :tongue_smilie: guess I read too fast. Then I thought of the Steve Martin movie. Once I read the poll -

I of course understood! I think the child would be free from grief from her peers - but I bet a lot of her friends' parents would comment!!

I want to use the name, even though The Police song is the first thing that comes to mind. DH and I are 30 and under, how could you not know that song?

Unless you've been living under a rock (or some equivalent form of shelter). :tongue_smilie:

I just heard the song again today. I knew a Roxanne in high school & never thought of the song when I talked to her, but when I saw your thread, the song popped immediately to mind.

... This from a mom who named one of her girls "Jade" despite the pseudo-p0rn flick from the '90s? ....

My oldest's middle name is Roxanne...yes, it does make me think of the song, it also makes me think of the Steve Martin movie. We chose it strangely b/c our first child (our four-legged one) is named Roxy :blush:-but also because it's different and a little edgy. (at least that's our op!)

I didn't think of the Police, but I'd also not choose a name with bad connotations for one of the parents, even if the other liked it. I wanted "Josiah" for #3, but dh knew a Josiah in person that really grated on his nerves. So, it was back to the drawing board. We eventually found a name we both liked. :001_smile:

We did this too. I LOVED the name Jared and absolutely wanted to use that name for #1. My DH didn't like it though. Every Jared he'd ever known had been either a few fries short of a happy meal or just a general all around jerk. He couldn't handle the name. So we nixed that one, even though I loved it so. We did finally agree on a name and I love it and think it fits my son better than Jared would have anyway. He's way too much of a natural geek to be a Jared. :lol:

I think of the song too (which is cool IMO), and then a huge nose (reference to Cyrano and Steve Martin). That said, I like the name and wouldn't hesitate to use it. The child becomes the standard in your mind and heart, and you forget about the annoying reference, or any other negative associations with other people. It's a sophisticated name, especially when said in French :)

As for people singing the song, gosh, many people have songs sung to them. As my name is Carolyn, I got people singing "Sweet Caroline" (Neil Diamond) to me many times as a child. In Spanish, there was a clown in Venezuela who used to sing an annoying but catchy tune involving repeating the name Carolina a hundred times. I got that sung to me a lot, A LOT, growing up. I love my name and wouldn't change a thing.

Just curious about those of you who didn't think of the Police song. Are you all young, as in under 40 or, more likely, under 30:)? Or from somewhere else? I know one poster wasn't allowed to listen to that stuff.

I am 50 years old, and I don't recognize the song at all. Maybe if I actually heard it? The only Roxanne I thought of was Cyrano's.

(Oh! Was this an 80s song? I detest 80s music for the most part.)

Edited by ereks mom

I thought of the Police song (well actually I thought first of Daniel Defoe, but that's not much better!), but I don't think that should be dissuasive. We let people talk us out of Ursula (which we loved) for dd15 on the grounds that all the other kids would immediately think about the evil sea witch in Disney's Little Mermaid; but of course it was just their parents who would think of that, and it would have been ancient history for her age peers.

Please vote.

Just curious.

It's a discussion between my brother and his pregnant wife.

I sided with her for the first time in their 12 years of marriage, and he didn't take it all that well :tongue_smilie:

I'm not familiar with the song, but Roxanne does remind me of a character from Ultimate Muscle (American version of a Japanese anime from a Japanese manga--all 3 of my boys have liked this show and the Japanese shows it is based on). My cousin also had a dog named Roxanne.

So, I wouldn't have chosen the name for those reasons.

I'm 44. I think it's just that I'm far enough removed from the song that I just think of my friend.

Maybe I'm showing my age here (mid 20s), but I don't think it's a big deal. And I certainly don't think the baby's peers will either.

I am 50 years old, and I don't recognize the song at all. Maybe if I actually heard it? The only Roxanne I thought of was Cyrano's.

(Oh! Was this an 80s song? I detest 80s music for the most part.)

It was a 70s song. The person who posted this said that it was inspired in 1977, but the person I knew who hated this song was someone I only knew in 1975 (because of where I was living, which was only for 5 months), so I'm wondering how this could be.

I think of my wonderful friend named Roxanne. (I admit I thought of the song when I first met her. I haven't thought of it that way in years, though.)

That makes perfect sense. This is why I like the name Agatha and wanted to name my middle one Agatha; it's because of the person I associate with the name (a friend of my parents, but we're close to them). Dh refused, so she has a different name, one that many people thing of as pretty as opposed to only a few.