Menu

"Roxanne" as a girl's name ...

Gut reaction when I hear the name "Roxanne" for a baby girl:  

1. 1. Gut reaction when I hear the name "Roxanne" for a baby girl:

• Cue chorus/ "You don't have to put on the red light ..."
    • Nope. The Police song didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.
    • Even after you mention it, the Police song reference doesn't stick with me.

I thought of the Police song & the movie with Steve Martin.

However, I still like the name a lot, and even the nickname Roxie is adorable. Once the child is here, I imagine the only thing it will remind you of is her and you won't be able to even imagine her as any other name.

Susan

But I think if she went by "Rox", "Roxy" or "Anne" it would be a great name.:D

My SIL's deceased mother's name is Anne, and they're looking for a name that honors her in some way :)

I adore the nickname Roxy! We know the kids won't so much give her a hard time about being named Roxanne, but we're more concerned with adults thinking they're hilarious and breaking out into song - always thinking they're the first ever to do so, kwim?

We have a niece named Vivian who is 11. Scores of people who came of age in the late 80s/early 90s always say, "Hey! Like the hooker in that Julia Roberts movie!" - like, completely unsolicited and out of nowhere! Never, "Oh! Like Vivien Leigh or Vivienne Westwood!" (Though a few people my parents age chuckle and make I Love Lucy references.)

I guess my SIL and I are basing that on our opinion of using Roxanne with a girl today. I actually really like the name, I just wondered if the pop culture connotation was still so strong that this baby-to-be would suffer the same fate as her older cousin, Vivian!

We have a niece named Vivian who is 11. Scores of people who came of age in the late 80s/early 90s always say, "Hey! Like the hooker in that Julia Roberts movie!" - like, completely unsolicited and out of nowhere! Never, "Oh! Like Vivien Leigh or Vivienne Westwood!" (Though a few people my parents age chuckle and make I Love Lucy references.)

!

I had totally forgotten the name of the hooker in "Pretty Woman!" My cousin's name is Vivian Christine, which is a pretty name, but her maiden name started with D, so if she's actually gone by Vivian (she was always called Christine) her initials were VD, which is what STI's were called while we were growing up. I doubt that my aunt realized it when she named her (at least I hope she didn't).

Not to throw a whole 'nother wrench at this name, but the Police song was not the song I immediate thought of.

:leaving:

And here's another one called Roxanne's Revenge (it's a reply to the one you linked.)

I had no idea how popular the name Roxanne was in music!

Although the music cued in MY head immediately, I'd still use the name if it's your db's favorite. I'm pretty sure the young whippersnappers have no idea who the heck Sting is and she'll only hear the song if she googles it. OTOH, how about Rosanne?

(Although she could google Rosanne Rosannadanna? But now I'm really dating myself....)

And here's another one called Roxanne's Revenge (it's a reply to the one you linked.)
I had no idea how popular the name Roxanne was in music!

There were like 3 or 4 of these in the 80s. Roxanne's Revenge was made in retaliation for the original. But then there was "The Real Roxanne" made by someone who thought she was the one they really were talking about. It was silly fun and I loved it.

While that's cute...it reminds me of a dogs name.

We named DD after one of my childhood dogs AND DH's Mom :lol: It has been like people suggested, I quickly moved past the childhood association and don't even think of the dog anymore (did at very first though).

That said, Roxanne was DH's top choice for a girl's name and I said NO WAY - because I do think of the song and the obnoxious way it is said in the song - the song I had sung to me (for my name) was similarly obnoxious and I wouldn't inflict that on a child. We even asked a teenage relation what he thought when he heard the name and he DID reply with that song.

LL