Menu

3rd grade LA? What are you using?

I'm curious as to what your 3rd grade LA curriculum looks like.

My son seems to be enjoying this area, but gets bored easily. I'm trying to work with a core but have other things on hand to keep it interesting. Believe it or not, he loves FLL and WWE...probably the one-on-one attention ;) I feel like it is a lot already, but please tell me if I'm missing anything.

FLL3

WWE3

GWG3 (probably could do without, but ds does better with less repitition in FLL and applying it instead)

AAS (don't know where we will be and if it will last...we are starting next week at the beginning)

And things to weave in on rotation:

Writing Strands 3

Music of the Hemispheres

Building Language

Edited by mamachanse

Something like yours:

GWG 3, now starting 4

Grammar Island, taking it slow

Did SWO C and now doing SWS 4

WWE 3 (about 1/3 of the way through), with a bit of WS thrown in

He still reads to me, as we are working on fluidity, and I use the McCall-Crabbs tests every month to see if we are progressing. So far it is working, and my late reader is a couple of months ahead of grade level. Yahoo!

My 3rd grader has just started WWE 3 (we did WS earlier this year) for writing. She's doing R&S for spelling and Wordly Wise for vocabulary. She reads to me every day, and I'm doing my own thing for grammar now because she finished Queen's Language Lessons and Grammar Land already. We don't do a formal poetry study, but I read a poem to her every day. We just finished Flower Fairies, so I have to find a new poetry book for her.

Next year is 3rd grade/Year for us:

Serl's PLL

Voyages in English 3 (exercises)

Wheeler's Elementary Speller

Spellingcity.com

Copywork, narration, and dictation across the disciplines

Killgallon's Sentence Composing

English From the Roots Up vocabulary cards

Ds Reading aloud

Two literature guides by Progeny Press

Edited by sagira

Ours is very similar to yours.

FLL3

WWE

AAS

ETC

World Wise online - we use this instead of the books because DS really doesn't like the WW workbooks

ETC online - this is fun for him and it's a great way to review the work he completed in the workbook

Spelling City - great review for his AAS word lists

Here is ours for 3rd.

Reading (he reads out loud to me) from VP and SL lists, maybe Elson Readers

R&S English

WWE2

Spelling Power

Dynamic Literacy (maybe--this is new) + Worldly Wise for Vocabulary

IEW for writing

A Reason for Handwriting to learn cursive

Literature (my husband reads to kids) from Honey for a Child's Heart selections

My son seems to be enjoying this area, but gets bored easily. I'm trying to work with a core but have other things on hand to keep it interesting. Believe it or not, he loves FLL and WWE...probably the one-on-one attention ;) I feel like it is a lot already, but please tell me if I'm missing anything.

FLL3

WWE3

GWG3 (probably could do without, but ds does better with less repitition in FLL and applying it instead)

AAS (don't know where we will be and if it will last...we are starting next week at the beginning)

Writing Strands 3

Music of the Hemispheres

Building Language

We use:

R&S English 3

Sequential Spelling

WWE3

Writing Strands, Writer's Jungle, Evan Moor's Fabulous Sentences & Paragraphs, and Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Elementary School.

FLL3

WWE3

Writing Strands 3

Music of the Hemispheres

Building Language

We're exactly the same on the basics (FLL, WWE, GWG, AAS), but on the rotation I add in Write Source instead of Writing Strands. We also add ETC (he'll finish 7 & 8 next year) and a vocab program (TBD at this point). I don't know what Music of the Hemispheres is, but I'm off to check...:D 3rd grade is a big year here, I'm excited about it and we're not finished with 2nd yet!

The 3rd grader this coming year will use:

Growing with Grammar 3

Writing with Ease 2/3

Spelling Workout

Primary Language Lessons

Guess I forgot to say: writing per WTM, notebooking across all subjects (of course).

WWE3-inspired writing: We have ceased using the textbook and just incorporate the ideas WWE teaches into our curricular (science and history, mostly) writing.

The Arrow from Bravewriter: This is where our dictation comes from.

Paragraph Writing (Evan-Moor): Dd has worked through this book to learn about and practice, more explicitly, paragraph formation. She has LOVED this book and looks forward to it every day. It's rather easy for her, which I think is good for sustained practice and reinforcement.

Imitation in Writing: Inconsistently used, but dd enjoys it nonetheless. You read a short fable and spend several days working on rewriting it. This includes using a dictionary.

Wheeler's Elementary Speller: free from Google books, 340+ lessons on spelling. Suitable for second grade and up.

FLL3: Dd loves this so much that when I told her she would be finished with 3rd-grade grammar before 3rd grade was over and could take a week off grammar before starting FLL4, she refused.

Tara

For my 3rd grader (who will still be 7 at the start of the year), I am planning:

Grammar: FLL 3

Writing: WWE 1/2 level skills (using selected excerpts from each workbook and/or books we are reading for copywork/dictation/narrations).

I will also cover sentence structure using sentences from books. Introduce paragraphs & short reports with IEW later in the year (after he's 8).

Spelling: SWO C/D

He will learn cursive this year also.

We won't use a formal reading program.

We're not quite third grade, but my DD works about that level in LA. This has all been working great for us. Here's our lineup for fall 2011:

• GWG 4 and FLL3
  • All About Spelling 5
  • Write Source and other writing resources - Writer's Jungle, 6+1 Traits of Writing
  • Getty-Dubay Italics/cursive handwriting (will be starting this month)
  • MCT Island
  • Wordly Wise online and some of the workbook
  • continue with a few Evan Moore LA workbooks

For my 3rd grader next year I have the following planned:

IEW PAL Writing...only using part 2 (using WWE within that section) and part 3

All about Spelling...LOVE this program and it is working really well for my ds

Rod and Staff 3 Grammar...doing most of it orally since he is pencil phobic

Sonlight 3 (used to be 2 Intermediate) Readers

ETC Online

I am finally feeling confident with my choices for him. :001_smile:

Spelling & Phonics - Scaredy Cat Reading System/Explode the Code

Grammar - Rod & Staff

Writing - Writing With Ease (We add in projects from IEW ATFF and she's been doing some freewriting, both with her older brother.)

Reading - She's a voracious reader (compared to some, anyway) who burned through all of the Pathway Readers for gr. 1-3 quite awhile ago. For now she's just free reading Pony Pals chapter books and picture books of various genres, and listening to literary read-alouds at bedtime.

MCT - except the vocab. book. We started it, but stopped. If it came with a workbook we probably would have kept up with it.

WWE

some MBtP lit. units

K12 lit.

one Novel Thinking lit. unit

IEW poetry memorization

We've used parts of Daily Language Review and parts of the LA materials that came with K12. We've done some of Phonetic Zoo B, but decided we already had too much going on and to do it next year since his spelling is fine.

we started this year with WWE 2, R&S 3, and Writing Strands 2. we switched to BJU English 3 a few months into our school year though (and love it!). we will stay with BJU next year as well. i loved WWE, R&S, and Writing Strands though - our switch was based more-so on my daughter's needs...but all of the programs we've tried are good.:)

for spelling, we've used spelling plus & their dictation resource book all year - love it!

Our plan for grade 3 LA:

Sonlight LA 3 (mostly using their creative writing)

CLE LA 300-310 (grammar, spelling, some writing)

Online typing program

Cursive (probably HWOT)

MCP Phonics C

Vintage grammar books from Google Books

Vintage composition books from Google Books

Journaling

For my 3rd grader next year we'll be doing..

AAS3

WWE2

FLL3

She's in 2nd grade right now and we've completed WWE1 and she loved it and did SOOOOOO well with it! She really took alot from FLL1 and we're finishing up with FLL2. And she is building wonderful skills with AAS2, she flew through AAS1 and really loved it as she's a natural speller and craves the "rules" to spell.

Edited by mamaofblessings

We kept it very simple this year with our 3rd grader:

LLATL yellow

Apples and Pears Spelling

Queen's Pictures in Cursive

Elson Reader Book Three

None of this would probably be considered very rigorous, but she's a voracious reader and just seems to have a knack for LA (except spelling....can't spell at all!)

I have done gr 3 two or three times, depending how you count.

I have used SL's old grammar intensive program, then the next yr went with WP gr 3 (liked it quite a lot, much more than SL). Same child

Then the second time through I used Easy Grammar and a few readers. That's all, I think.

This next time I'll use WP's LA 3 again.

Im not interested in using a bunch of stuff really.

I love IEW but probably will not start it with dd til later than gr 3.

We do use AAS for spelling.

Here's DD's LA:

R&S English 2

ETC

Cheerful Cursive

copywork/dictation

reads aloud to me daily

free reading/read alouds with discussion

The only changes I'm making for 4th is to add R&S Spelling (instead of ETC) and have her begin a literature journal. She'll also begin writing her copywork in cursive when she finishes Cheerful Cursive.

Edited by Holly

For ds8 next yr:

-FLL 3 or BJU 3 or GWG 3 (not sure yet, leaning toward FLL)

-copywork/dictation (maybe WWE)

-IEW in co-op, plus writing across curriculum

-Cheerful Cursive (and copywork will switch to cursive after it's learned)

-SWR for spelling (did PR1 this yr and we LOVE it but I just. can't. take. the.

dvds. so it is back to SWR)

-read aloud to me daily

-typing

All this is subject to change ;)

Edited by HappyGrace

3rd grade

FLL 3

WWE 2

AAS 2/3 (finishing up 2)

HWT 3 cursive

MCP phonics C?

There are a few things we need to cover in phonics still, namely suffixes and prefixes. We are also finishing up OPGTR, but she has made such jumps that we are flying through it, as she already knows the rules.

Our (tentative) plans for 3rd are:

R&S English 3

R&S Spelling 3

CLE Reading 3

Composition: Dictation Treasury (MT) and Ida Brautigam's Progressive Composition Lessons (WThF)

Lots of Books ;)

---

And I'm considering having ds begin a Commonplace Book with copywork or written narration from his afternoon independent readings (using mostly AO, with other books substituted or thrown in). I might give it a go, but if it's too much, wait until 4th. I think I'd start him out with just a sentence per day.

Edited by Medieval Mom