Menu

Bangs and being almost 40

Is there a rule about this? At my hair appt today, I finally gave in and let my stylist give me bangs. I haven't had bangs since...well...for at least 20 years. I did it because when I think "bangs", I think "youthful" or "fun" or "flirty". But these bangs? I think they make me look...old. :(

I have very dark hair and very pale skin. My hair is long (yeah, I know about that rule, but I really can't do short hair. Really.). The problem is that the bangs seem to accentuate the lines around my eyes. And under them. If there is a "bang rule", is this why??

Dh said "I really like your new hair cut. It makes you look younger. I'm not even saying that because it's already cut." :001_huh:

So, what say the hive? Is there a time for bangs and a time to...I don't know, repent for all the things we've done to our skin and wish we could sport bangs?

I have bangs, and I'm almost 50. Sometimes I like to part them a little on one side so that they don't cover my whole forehead. Sometimes I wear them straight down.

I had know idea there was a rule about something like that. Of course, I dress and wear my hair the way I think it looks best on me. If you like the style, I say go for it.

I think the prevailing wisdom is that a light fringe of wispy bangs and hair with some subtle highlights framing the face is the look that is supposed to make aging skin look more youthful and soften the lines on the face and around the eyes. But I think ultimately, you live with yourself and you should do what makes you happy. I am turning 40 this year and my hair is long, straight and black with no bangs. DEFINITELY against "the rules", but ask me if I care. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Ibbygirl

I think sort of the opposite. Foreheads can look oldish; bangs help cover that. I have bangs (I'm 40) and sweep them towards the sides so they aren't straight across.

This. I tried a year or so ago to grow out the bangs, and I couldn't believe how much older I looked. When I cut them I perked up again!

Is there a rule about this? At my hair appt today, I finally gave in and let my stylist give me bangs. I haven't had bangs since...well...for at least 20 years. I did it because when I think "bangs", I think "youthful" or "fun" or "flirty". But these bangs? I think they make me look...old. :(

I have very dark hair and very pale skin. My hair is long (yeah, I know about that rule, but I really can't do short hair. Really.). The problem is that the bangs seem to accentuate the lines around my eyes. And under them. If there is a "bang rule", is this why??

Dh said "I really like your new hair cut. It makes you look younger. I'm not even saying that because it's already cut." :001_huh:

So, what say the hive? Is there a time for bangs and a time to...I don't know, repent for all the things we've done to our skin and wish we could sport bangs?

I dunno, but I am 39 and I have always had bangs. Don't plan to change anytime soon either.

I do side swept bangs. I have long hair. I'm 44.:001_smile:

Actually, it is kind of like yours, just with a little more bang chunked out, and my hair is a lot darker. I wonder if I need highlights to take away from the stark difference between my hair color and my skin color.

And PS - your hair is darn cute!

I don't have bangs right now, but my girlfriends swear by them. They call bangs Botox without the toxins. ;)

Ugh! Maybe it is just my face! Since the bang bit, I'm seriously considering injecting my face with botulism just to pull off the 'do! (Ok. Maybe I'll start with something less...infective sounding...)

Also, since so many of you already sport bangs - do you wear makeup? I do, and always have, but I feel like I need a heavier hand with the liner, shadow and mascara.

See, I'm wondering how much of this is psychological and how much of it is actual...

Actually, it is kind of like yours, just with a little more bang chunked out, and my hair is a lot darker. I wonder if I need highlights to take away from the stark difference between my hair color and my skin color.

And PS - your hair is darn cute!

Thank you, my dear!

I had highlights for many years to blend away gray. My gray overtook me recently, though, so I switched to all over color, which I like less. If money and time were not object, I would have highlights over all over color. :D My hair is longer than it looks in the picture...

Also, since so many of you already sport bangs - do you wear makeup? I do, and always have, but I feel like I need a heavier hand with the liner, shadow and mascara.

See, I'm wondering how much of this is psychological and how much of it is actual...

I do wear make up...always have. My bang status doesn't change my make up application.

I want bangs so badly! Especially when I see them on a person than just wears them well. Every time I try though, I hate them. I'll be 41 in a few weeks & I don't think age is an issue at all. Bangs & long hair are not reserved for the young imho. I refuse to wear mom jeans and cut my hair off just because I'm not 22. I'm sure you look lovely. Especially if they got your husband's approval! That is always a nice! I'm sure you'll get used to them over the next few days :)

Susan

I have bangs and long hair and I'm over 40. I've almost always had bangs because I look much better with bangs. My hair is extremely thick and heavy and not having bangs makes it seem to just lie there, the bangs soften it quite a bit. I also have a prominent widows peak, so pulling all my hair straight back looks odd to me.

I don't wear make-up more than once or twice a year. When I do, its usually more concealer and foundation but less eye-liner and shadow than when I was younger.

Ok, so I'm not over 40 (yet, I'm 34), but I've had bangs from the time I was 5 years old up until this last year. During my last pregnancy I cut my hair really short (I mean REALLY!!) and have let it all grow out over the last year, bangs included. I decided since it is so windy where I live and I have seen so many cute hair styles w/o bangs I'd give it a try (BIG mistake!). I finally got tired of looking so "severe" and school marmy (for lack of better terminology) when I pulled my hair up. So I cut bangs this morning and I LOVE them!!! I didn't realize how "depressed" I had become because I didn't like my hair! Anyway, in my opinion, bangs rock and I will never grow them out again no matter how old I get! As for the make up thing, I never did get into it very much. I might wear a little bit of lipstick & blush occasionally (meaning like 8-10 times a year), but I usually don't wear any at all (no time for it anyway). I have greatly disappointed my grandma not being the "girly girl" she thought I should have become by age 10!:lol: (sorry grandma)

I'm trying to think of a time in the last 46 years when I didn't have bangs. Hm... never. ;)

I have a very round face and a small forehead. For some reason, bangs help create a less round-looking face that is somewhat proportional. So, even though I have to cut them every 3-4 weeks (no, I don't pay a stylist, I just whack them off, snip the ends and thin them to avoid a blunt edge...), and even though I have the straightest hair imaginable, lol, I have bangs. ;)

Lisa

I do! And that would be fab! However...how old is she? Like, 17? :lol:

Anne Baxter is a whopping 33 there.

Here are some old ladies with fringe:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fittipdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jamie-lee-curtis.bmp&imgrefurl=http://fittipdaily.com/hot-celebs-over-40-and-their-workouts-2233/&usg=__ZqIKxPMLbREbrkyg1TmfR3i-1Qc=&h=650&w=460&sz=877&hl=en&start=200&zoom=1&tbnid=dSaUL30eZor7nM:&tbnh=165&tbnw=120&ei=f3K7TbKKIcjj0gG-qZjnBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dactresses%2Bover%2B40%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADSA_enUS417US417%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D795%26tbm%3Disch0%2C3128&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=528&vpy=297&dur=20&hovh=267&hovw=189&tx=82&ty=119&page=6&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:200&biw=1659&bih=795

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://entimg.s-msn.com/i/ap/6202005/ny10806210338.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx%3Fnews%3D304844%26GT1%3D7703&usg=__KBF-eJkmmJO2lz3fsvylIjy-fuM=&h=512&w=409&sz=43&hl=en&start=43&zoom=1&tbnid=GWaMBPcsE5Rw2M:&tbnh=158&tbnw=120&ei=I3K7TdXDKKPq0QGe9pXMBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dactresses%2Bover%2B40%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADSA_enUS417US417%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D795%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=418&page=2&ndsp=41&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:43&tx=77&ty=129

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_h937HNtz6ek/S3pYTs-DleI/AAAAAAAAagE/W_kti-PDlx8/s400/celebrities-over-40-23.jpg&imgrefurl=http://preview.samemission.com/actresses-over-40%26page%3D6&usg=__KKxs15dHhueU1bv2JjHrzgqGr_A=&h=400&w=266&sz=21&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=J8r3KZFw1WyV_M:&tbnh=160&tbnw=120&ei=-XG7Tf3KG8KTtweHts20BQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dactresses%2Bover%2B40%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADSA_enUS417US417%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D795%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=399&vpy=409&dur=127&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=95&ty=260&page=1&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:34,s:0

Edited by LibraryLover

All these rules....toss them out the window ! Do what looks good on you, and makes you feel good, regardless of your age.

My ambition for increasing age is to break every single rule there is about getting older ! I plan to keep my hair shoulder-length and hennaed, and wear sport bras and running shoes, into my 90s. I think I will never be a proper old lady !

Oh perish the thought. If bangs are good enough for Coco Chanel they are good enough pour moi! I have bangs and always will due to my refusal to botox the deep in thought wrinkle between my brows.

I think her hat is quite fetching as well. I might just take up hats this year other than my treasured deerstalker cap crocheted by my darling daughter.

I don't have bangs right now, but my girlfriends swear by them. They call bangs Botox without the toxins. ;)

This is pretty much why I went back to having bangs the last time I got my hair cut! They are side swept.

FWIW, blunt bangs have become the "in" thing for spring 2011.

Krista

I have bangs and long hair and I will be 55 in July. I have tried the "no bangs" look and it just doesn't do anything for me. I had my hair short several years ago and realized that while people told me it looked cute the only women I was around with short hair were the "old ladies" such as my mother's age. Maybe bangs and long hair make you look younger, no one ever guesses my age...having a 15 and 11 year old helps too :)

I just got bangs yesterday and I'm 44!! We could start a support group lol. I'm not sure if they make me look older but I wasn't thrilled with the overall look. But then my ds who is a precious seven said that I was beautiful, " even your hair, even your feet, even your tummy". I'm guessing your bangs look great,too. Enjoy your new look.

Maybe I'll get my hair cut like Amanda Tapping has it in "Sanctuary."

That's basically how my hair looks when my bangs are starting to get a little long. I brush them straight down, then kind of fluff them around with my fingers to loosen them up. My hair is long, brown, wavy and thick but still doesn't manage to look as good as hers does. :tongue_smilie:

It's the perfect style if you don't like fussing with your hair. I haven't even blown dry my hair in years.

The book How Not to Look Old recommends both bangs and lightening your hair color. Dark hair accentuates wrinkles and makes us look gaunt. Light hair brightens up your face. I've lightened mine and it does look better.

I have sideswept bangs, but I'm seriously considering fringe. It's either that or botox. These forehead furrows gotta go!

Well, I'm 46, have longish hair (below the shoulders) because I look better in long hair than short, and can't sport bangs because my forehead is too narrow. I'd have to have really short bangs because I hate having hair in my face and because my hair is too straight and heavy to be able to wear bangs swept to the side without serious amounts of gel and primping. Not gonna do it. So no bangs here.

I'm 48. I have bangs. I grew my bangs out 5 years ago cause the side swept look was in. I cringe when I see pictures from then. I look old and haggard. From now on I will have bangs till the day I die. And I'm growing my hair long again. It's been shoulder length, which I like, but I've decided that I could do longer hair again, with layers.

I have a long face. Without bangs....it's just not pretty.

And I henna'd my hair- it turned a lovely red. I LOVED it. But my dh mentioned that he really liked blond high lights so I'm going back to that.

Honestly, I'm really loving having hair to fuss with. My sil lost ALL of her hair 2 yrs ago. Eyelashes and everything. And a lot of women my age are going thin. So, even though I'm still tweezing a unibrow, I'm really grateful for a full head of hair!!

I cut mine and grow them back out about every year or so...I shouldn't have read this thread just as my bangs are back to chin length...off to look for forehead wrinkles and hide all scissors...:auto:

I agree they make me look younger...but they feel yucky in the summer.

(Tomorrow, I'll have bangs...it's a compulsion...you ladies are a terrible influence on me!:tongue_smilie:)

It's not an age thing, it's a face shape, forehead thing IMO. I think though full heavy bangs makes everyone look older. So if they're a little side swept or lighter or just a little split through the middle, maybe you'll like them more.

I'm 50 and have bangs. Without, I look ancient.

Have guts to post a before and after?:) We could tell you.:)

Have guts to post a before and after?:) We could tell you.:)

I'm thinking about it. And I know you all would tell me. :D

I like them better today than yesterday. But, those lines from my eyes that just the other day didn't seem to extend all the way into my hairline are very, very prominent. I don't know if that would show up in any kind of pic I would be able to post ;). I do think some lightening needs to happen if I'm going to keep them around. Another thing I noticed is that I need to fill my eyebrows in better with them because the color is so near them now, where as before, I could get away with just a few sweeps of the brush - I don't think I realized how sparse they've become!

I'm thinking about it. And I know you all would tell me. :D

I like them better today than yesterday. But, those lines from my eyes that just the other day didn't seem to extend all the way into my hairline are very, very prominent. I don't know if that would show up in any kind of pic I would be able to post ;). I do think some lightening needs to happen if I'm going to keep them around. Another thing I noticed is that I need to fill my eyebrows in better with them because the color is so near them now, where as before, I could get away with just a few sweeps of the brush - I don't think I realized how sparse they've become!

Sometimes it just takes a while to figure out how to wear them.