Menu

Serious question for serious thinkers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, I don't have any idea who you're talking about or what kind of person he/she is, so I don't know if any advice given will be accurate or helpful. What I can say, having a mother who suffers from depression, is that you can't expect this to be an 'equal' friendship. That person might not be there for you when you need them, might not put in as much in the relationship, not from lack of desire but from lack of ability.

I think as long as you go into it with the right understanding, absolutely!

Yes, definitely. As a matter of fact I am a little hurt for the people reading this who have depression and neuroses... now they get to wonder whether you are debating whether they would make a good friend. :001_huh:

:auto:(ducking and running because I realize what I wrote was not very kind. I am just sensitive that way.)

Yes.

I have a friend who fits your description. She is also kind, loyal, a loving mother with nice children (our kids are friends), and we have some common interests.

I do make sure that when she is particularly struggling, I meet with her at times when I am feeling balanced myself because some days conversations can be draining. If I am not balanced (too tired, not feeling well, too much on my plate), I can walk away feel exhausted and depressed myself. We have a mutual friend who feels the same way, and we will sometimes touch base during our friend's challenging times. Not to gossip or to discuss *her*, but to say things like, "Our friend is struggling right now and I don't have the energy for a phone conversation right now. Are you able to call?" Or "You might want to steer conversations away from xyz right now." And a few times, "How do you keep from getting completely weighed down by zyx? I need ideas." I don't know if she knows we do this. I doubt it.

FWIW, I am not friends with her (or anyone) solely because she needs a friend. I do believe that friendships are brought into our lives for a reason. There are times when I certainly put a lot of effort into the relationship, but I've been able to create a relationship with my friend that we both (I think! ;) ) value.

Cat

Would you friend someone you knew was mentally ill?

I am not talking about deeply rooted psychoses but someone who exhibited slightly neurotic tendencies and suffered from depression.

Sure, but my idea of "friending" someone is not the same for every friend. I might spend some time getting to know this person before feeling out how much time I want to spend in them, to see whether i feel always drained after being around them and whether I am always the giver (which is ok sometimes but long term wont work), to see if I want to bring them closer into my family or just see them at some group we both have in common. I am not really an "all or nothing" type friend- I keep some friends much closer than others.

Yes, definitely. As a matter of fact I am a little hurt for the people reading this who have depression and neuroses... now they get to wonder whether you are debating whether they would make a good friend. :001_huh:

:auto:(ducking and running because I realize what I wrote was not very kind. I am just sensitive that way.)

Are you talking about what BSmith wrote? It might sound unkind, but it's realistic. People suffering with mental illnesses know this. (I also have family members with mental illness and relationships are NOT easy. I agree with what BSmith wrote: as long as you go into it with your eyes open, friendship is certainly a possibility (paraphrased).)

Yes, with one exception. If I knew someone had Borderline Personality Disorder, I would keep my distance.

I have to agree with this one, too. I don't know that it would be a definite "no," but it would make me think twice (or three or four times) before proceeding. I really don't have the emotional energy for "I Love You / I Hate You" chaos in my friendships.

Would you friend someone you knew was mentally ill? I am not talking about deeply rooted psychoses but someone who exhibited slightly neurotic tendencies and suffered from depression.

It depends. Do you have good "instincts" about these kinds of things? If you do, go with your gut feeling on this (either way).

Before my kids were born, I was a social worker among people who had to fight for their emotional balance and well-being. I never really liked referring to anyone working so hard to be healthy as someone "mentally ill," but I realize that is the label. :tongue_smilie:Although, if I was fighting so hard to live and be victorious, I would really hate that label. :glare:

Anyway, I think so many people in this world begin to fall apart because they feel alone. Not just lonely, but truly, profoundly ALONE. We have a deeply felt need for belonging. How does that need get met? For some people, that sense of belonging is so hard to find.

When I was a social worker, the people I tried to help were "clients," and so there is a line that (most of the time) you just don't cross. But over the years, there have been several times when I was comfortable being a friend to a person who was emotionally struggling.

I would befriend a "sick" person or a "disabled" person -- for example, a person with cancer, a person with AIDS, a person in a wheelchair, a mentally retarded person, a deaf person, and so on. It's part of life to meet people where they're at, to accept that we are not (any of us) perfect or flawless beings.

The important factor (to me, at least) is to not "take on a project." A person is not a project, should never be a project. You are not going to "fix it," and that is the surest way to set up the wrong boundaries.

Reciprocity, give-and-take, is important to build into a friendship, also. This doesn't mean that we work at a friendship with the mindset of "What's in it for me?" but we do need to have healthy RELATIONSHIPS -- just not always with people who are perfectly healthy. KWIM?

Are you perfectly healthy? In every way? We are all made of dust, I think... HTH.

Yes, and I have. She is a very dear friend. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I do want to answer your question - and the truth is there are times when I have to give myself some space from her because she can be very draining. I am glad she feels she can talk to me, but when every conversation is about how terrible her life has been for the last 2 years (she has been through some difficult times with family members being ill and passing, and she has a chronic disease as well) it can be overwhelming for me as her friend.

Also, when I call her it can seem as if she doesn't really want to talk. There are long pauses where I have run out of things to say and she isn't saying much, and I wonder if I am burdening her by keeping her on the phone or if she is too tired/depressed to think of anything else to say but still wants companionship so I should just keep babbling.

I hope the spirit I intended came through despite the limitations of this format, and that I have not caused offense or hurt. :grouphug:

I am not talking about deeply rooted psychoses but someone who exhibited slightly neurotic tendencies and suffered from depression.

No. I know that sounds mean to just outright say no but I've BTDT and it is *exhausting*. I don't have the personality for it. Some do. Some are fabulous, awesome, patient friends and are able to roll with it. If that's you then fabulous. The world needs people like that. I grew up with a mom who struggled with depression and anxiety and it's not easy. I don't *have* to deal with it in my adult life and so I don't. The neuroses I can probably handle but not depression. I did friend someone with depression and the withdrawing did me in. I can't help but take it personal when someone goes into a depressive state and won't speak to me or answer the phone or whatever. I always wonder if it's me and I can't just not know from day to day if someone is talking to me or not. It takes too much out of me.

Yep ~ goodness, if I refused to have any friendships/relationships with people who had "mental illnesses", I'd have to get rid of half of my friends and most of my extended family. ;)

I'd be willing to bet that most people have friends with stuff like this anyway - they just might not know it because not every "mental illness" is something that manifests in a way that everyone can see.

:confused:

(I'm fainting at the question. But pardon me -- I have personal experience with someone very close to me who was diagnosed with BPD and I cannot imagine someone asking *why* after having lived through that. It's beyond hard. It's something I would NEVER *choose* to do.)

That doesn't even move into my "abnormal" category.

If they are looking for someone to carry them, however, I am the wrong friend for them. I have small children and don't get enough sleep to keep up with my own domestic obligations for the most part. I don't have much to share.

Rosie

I think most of my friends qualify as slightly neurotic and depressed.

Serious answer: If it felt like the person was going to be a serious drain on my energy, or if they had visible self-destructive behaviors (self injury, alcoholism), I'd probably keep my distance because I tend to be a bit suggestible in that respect and really don't need it in my life. I have a lot of empathy for them, but it's something I've learned from experience I need to avoid for my own health.

Edited by ocelotmom

Well. Yes.

and no.

I've struggled with mental illness most of my life. I *know* I was a drain at times on my friends, but they were... amazing. Especially one friend in particular. She was the one who found me with an empty bottle of pills, the one who talked to me for HOURS when all I could do was cry and took me to the hospital, the one who wouldn't let me drive when I had self-medicated with whatever I could get quickly and cheaply, the one who kept me grounded when I came up with new *brilliant* schemes that would make everything better (sarcasm there!) All this while she was dealing with her own marriage falling apart and her own (serious) health problems. Drain probably doesn't even begin to describe what I was for her. But still... she stuck in there. Without her, I shudder to think where I would be right now. If I could do that for someone else, I would. Without question. As much of a drain as I was on her back then, our friendship is extremely solid. (And, as a side note, I'm about to be tested to find out if my kidney will be a good transplant for her. :tongue_smilie:She saved my life... I hope that I can save hers)

The key words there though were "if I could." I would certainly befriend a person with mental illness, but the friendship would not be allowed to intrude on my family. My daughter would not be negatively affected by it. If this person needed more than I could give them, I would continue to be their friend, but I would have to have some boundaries.

(All this changes if it is a current friend who develops mental illness. I guess I'd just be more cautious going into a friendship with someone who had established mental illness, but once I care for someone I will go to extreme lengths for them.)

I think most of my friends qualify as slightly neurotic and depressed.

LOL on this. Almost all my friends have a skeleton in their closet or some kind of quirkiness! I had PPD after my first child and consider myself actually on the less neurotic end of the spectrum when not under the influence of hormones and no sleep. :D

I think it's good to have healthy boundaries though. I have ended friendships when it feels like I consistently just give and there's no give and take. I've even really scaled back the relationship I have with my brother and his family because they are so draining and their lives are like train wrecks. I can't get sucked into their emotional drama day in and day out.

I'd chose mental illness over the backstabbing, gossipy, and judgmental women I've been friends with before. ;)

Many of my friends have quirky habits, some have diagnosed illnesses, some are simply lonely, they are the ones that have lifted me up when I need it most.

Well. Yes.

and no.

I've struggled with mental illness most of my life. I *know* I was a drain at times on my friends, but they were... amazing. Especially one friend in particular. She was the one who found me with an empty bottle of pills, the one who talked to me for HOURS when all I could do was cry and took me to the hospital, the one who wouldn't let me drive when I had self-medicated with whatever I could get quickly and cheaply, the one who kept me grounded when I came up with new *brilliant* schemes that would make everything better (sarcasm there!) All this while she was dealing with her own marriage falling apart and her own (serious) health problems. Drain probably doesn't even begin to describe what I was for her. But still... she stuck in there. Without her, I shudder to think where I would be right now. If I could do that for someone else, I would. Without question. As much of a drain as I was on her back then, our friendship is extremely solid. (And, as a side note, I'm about to be tested to find out if my kidney will be a good transplant for her. :tongue_smilie:She saved my life... I hope that I can save hers)

The key words there though were "if I could." I would certainly befriend a person with mental illness, but the friendship would not be allowed to intrude on my family. My daughter would not be negatively affected by it. If this person needed more than I could give them, I would continue to be their friend, but I would have to have some boundaries.

(All this changes if it is a current friend who develops mental illness. I guess I'd just be more cautious going into a friendship with someone who had established mental illness, but once I care for someone I will go to extreme lengths for them.)

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

Yes, but not always, and not to the same degree. I try to keep my distance if I sense there's too much crazy going on. It's really more of a safety thing than anything personal- my neighbors growing up in a nice suburban normal neighborhood were abusive to their children (my good friends) and were drug dealers and the crazy is scary! After they moved away, several of their innocent family members and friends were murdered by a guy looking for drugs. I keep my distance a little now if I get a bad vibe because I don't want to bring my kids into a bad situation. Borderline personality- yeah, not a relationship I want to be in.

But depression and a little nutty? I'm fine with that and it describes half my family. If someone has a mental illness but not, IMO, a danger, I'm usually more generous in how I deal with them. I don't get angry with my mentally ill family for acting bizarre and thoughtless and irrational, because I don't expect rational behavior. We just meet them at their level and love them.

I have been friends with two ladies who were bipolar. Both friendships ended badly. I have boundary issues (as in, it's hard for me to establish them to people who want to walk all over me), part of that coming from growing up with a mother who has Borderline Personality Disorder. That's what makes friends like that such a drain on me.

I would, as I'm healing and getting more able to establish more set boundaries, but I couldn't possibly, in my circumstance, deal with a friend with BPD. It might sound harsh and unloving, but there it is. Depression, bipolar, OCD I could deal with, though, I think, with boundaries in place.

Thank you, Jennifer, for saying that. I think this thread does have the potential to really hurt some people. No offense to the OP at all because I know she didn't mean for it to.

I have been a complete wreck for the last couple of years because of bipolar disorder. I thank God every day for the friends who stuck by me during it all, here and IRL. Some people totally bailed on me. I get that they couldn't handle it. That's okay. I also have some friends that I've made over the last year who knew my story from the beginning and loved me anyway.

Oh, Nakia, I don't post often enough for anyone to 'recognize' or 'know' me. But I've seen you post a lot and 'recognize' you.....I wish I knew you IRL. I would be your friend.

This is why I said I found this question so sad......in what world would someone not want to be friends with Nakia?!?!?

Oh' date=' Nakia, I don't post often enough for anyone to 'recognize' or 'know' me. But I've seen you post a lot and 'recognize' you.....I wish I knew you IRL. I would be your friend.

This is why I said I found this question so sad......in what world would someone not want to be friends with Nakia?!?!?[/quote']

Oh, thank you. That is so kind. I'm sure I was very hard on my closest friends and my husband this time last year when I was completely manic. It was right before my diagnosis. I was in a terrible state, and I'm sure, very draining on my loved ones. Most stayed with me; some walked away. My best friend of 20 years wounded me deeply. I have forgiven her, but our relationship is forever changed. God is actually, right now, bringing her own issues of pride and arrogance to light. It is really helping us both to understand why she could not stay by me when I went downhill. She has always had a real "it could never happen to me" attitude.

But you know, I found out what true friendship was. I became very close with many women here, and for that, I am thankful. And I truly learned of my husband's deep commitment to me and our marriage. Many wonderful women I go to church with got to know me during my lowest time, and they embraced me, and now they rejoice with me as I get better. God uses all for His glory. And I am so much better now. I have learned to be even more transparent. I have always been a "what you see is what you get" kind of person. I am the same person IRL and on this board. :) That's one reason I love it here. People accept me and my nuttiness.

Anyway, this thread is not about me, but I did want to share a bit. Carry on. :)

Oh' date=' Nakia, I don't post often enough for anyone to 'recognize' or 'know' me. But I've seen you post a lot and 'recognize' you.....I wish I knew you IRL. I would be your friend.

This is why I said I found this question so sad......in what world would someone not want to be friends with Nakia?!?!?[/quote']

This isn't about a specific person. Just a general question.

:grouphug:

I guess my answer would be that it is dependant on the person they are, not the things they suffer from. To the extent I could help and it would not take over my life and still enjoy a friendship - yes.

I've been depressed off and on (and anxious) for many years. I'd hate for someone to rule out a friendship with me BECAUSE of that. Actually... if that is a reason they don't want to be friends, then I guess I'd be better off without them. I've been on both sides of the coin.

There is so much more to a person than their illness. If their illness has take over their identity, I can certainly see where it could be a hard friendship to maintain.

I find this question to be very sad. A person is not defined by one thing. I think that by limiting yourself to only people who are not depressed' date=' you're really missing out on some awesome people.[/quote']

If you don't attend to your own self preservation, you cannot be an awesome person. If you have to miss out on an awesome person, better it is someone else than your own self.

I do wonder, though, why it is we (the general 'we') can embrace some individuals but not others.

One answer would be this:

There is so much more to a person than their illness. If their illness has take over their identity, I can certainly see where it could be a hard friendship to maintain.

Education is another reason. You have to know a person well before you know how their illness manifests and there's no polite way for casual acquaintances with no experience in this area to ask. What's a person going to say? "Hey, yeah so I heard via the grape vine that you have bipolar disorder. I don't want to completely wipe you off coz that'd be unfair, but I kinda need to know if you are safe. No offense or anything."

Most women I know feel over extended with the responsibilities they already have. Part of supporting each other is accepting "Sorry, I can't do that," whether it is a person with some kind of illness (depression, a bad back, a gluten allergy or whatever) saying it, or an otherwise able bodied woman refusing to take on another role she hasn't the resources to fulfill. Nobody is awesome if they have been shattered.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

One thing that just crossed my mind is that on the opposite side of not befriending/rejecting someone with a mental illness is taking the person on as a "project". I would much rather someone just walk away from me than decide they will "fix" me. There is a balance, but it is hard to find, both for the person with the mental illness and the people in their life.

ETA: Oops, I see Sahamamama has already addressed this.

(I'm fainting at the question. But pardon me -- I have personal experience with someone very close to me who was diagnosed with BPD and I cannot imagine someone asking *why* after having lived through that. It's beyond hard. It's something I would NEVER *choose* to do.)

BTDT! Never again. I have never in my life felt like I was going to have a nervous break down, but friending someone with BPD put me there.