Menu

I friend of mine died today.

His name was Joe Mondello.

He was an old timer racing great.

He taught me how to port heads. He taught me how to machine a cylinder head. He taught me how to build a motor. He taught me how to earn a living.

He took me under his wing and showed a "girl" respect and admiration. He defended me when others said I was inferior.

He loved to eat out and we (Dh & I) have had several conversations over a bottle of wine with Joe. I was a guest in his home and he loved to cook for people. He suffered through a 30 minute car ride with a 2yo DD screaming, to eat my own cooking at my house. I look at the chair where he laughingly told me my lemon ice cream was "a little bit puckery" (It was TERRIBLE!!!).

He always asked about the children when we spoke (even though I've been a SAHM for years and we only spoke once or so a year).

I loved him.

I miss the warm feeling that I could reach out and feel when I thought of him.

My life is better because of him.

Lara

When Dh and I were at a Racing Show (12 yrs ago), I briefly stopped at Joe's booth and chatted. Later at the airport, he chased me down to encourage me to go to his school! He told me I could do this (engine stuff). Dh thought I couldn't.

In his class, a guy (meathead) gave me soo much cr*p that I actually slugged him. Later he asked Joe for some help (on the stuff I was working on) and Joe told him to ask me. :D

I respected him, I learned from him, I just didn't know how much I would come to love him.

Lara

Thank you for your kind words.

This is the first real friend I've lost.

I cannot go to the funeral since its in another state. (there will probably be tons of people there anyway)

I just feel lost today.

Lara

I'm so sorry. My best friend died in another state and through a long course of events, I was unable to attend her funeral, too.

Be kind to yourself over the next weeks. The feelings will come in waves so let yourself be sad.

:grouphug: