Menu

What do you think of Magic Tree House books?

My son is completely engrossed in these books right now. They seem good to me. He is learning all about history while reading them and it is really helping him read larger amounts at a time. My problem is that recently we gave one of the books to my friends son (same age) and she threw it out!! She said that she wouldn't let her son read anything by an author who wrote books about different religions.!?! WOW!

So I was just wondering if any one has read any books by her (mary pope osborn) that have been bad? I researched her book "One world, Many Religions" and it didn't look bad. Just the history of how religions started.

I guess I was just wanting other opinions on this.

Well, some people are really picky about things like that. It's been years since I've read the books, but I thought they were a fun read. I didn't see anything outrageous in them.

And I think I would be upset if someone else threw away a book of mine. Even if it's not what you want to read, give it back.

Wow. Sounds like it says more about your friend than the books. I mean, there are a lot less rude and dramatic ways to politely select against a book than THAT!

My DD#1 inhaled them. She's reading over 1,000 pages a week now, mainly reads dense novels and classics (which keeps me busy seeking suitable books), but she still likes MTH -- just read the latest one. They aren't great lit, but they are engaging, harmless, and get kids hooked on reading. So, as far as I am concerned, they serve their purpose. If some people have other priorities and issues, then by all means they can choose other lit for their kids.

I assume you've at least skimmed thru one. Use your own judgement. :)

I read them out loud to Indy and he loves them. I don't have a problem with them. Are they great literature? No, but who cares? Not everything can be. I like that the plots are simple, but weave historical facts in with the fantasy.

Your friend sounds a bit out there. She threw it out? Really? I'd be mad that she threw away a book! If she didn't want it, she could have given it back or donated it to a library or thrift shop. Someone would have read it.

I've only read 2 so far to my DD 7 yrs old, and she loves these and requested that we start to go in order, since I read book #1 & #22 to her so far. So we now have book #2. I agree that these are NOT great literature, but they are really fun. Kind of like learning about science with the Magic School Bus series, she is now learning about History in a fun way.

I would really be upset too if somebody threw out my book! Regardless of weather a person likes a book or not, should they not give it back to owner?

My kids love these books! My dd is 10 now, so she isn't as interested in the story books, but she still inhales the companion resource guides. I've read a few of them to my ds 7 and he really likes them. I'm hoping these will help capture his interest as he creeps ever closer to reading chapter books.

I agree, they are not great literature. But if they get my son reading on his own, and enjoying it, I am all for it!

ETA: I would also be upset if someone threw out a book. Especially if it was a loaner!

Edited by DawnL
adding

Wow. Sounds like it says more about your friend than the books. I mean, there are a lot less rude and dramatic ways to politely select against a book than THAT!

My DD#1 inhaled them. She's reading over 1,000 pages a week now, mainly reads dense novels and classics (which keeps me busy seeking suitable books), but she still likes MTH -- just read the latest one. They aren't great lit, but they are engaging, harmless, and get kids hooked on reading. So, as far as I am concerned, they serve their purpose. If some people have other priorities and issues, then by all means they can choose other lit for their kids.

I assume you've at least skimmed thru one. Use your own judgement. :)

:iagree: DS devoured them, too and they were the turning point in his reading longer books.

They have been a big hit with my kids. A family friend gave us the first 28 or so when my oldest was 6. They were some of the first "real" books she ever read and she devoured them. She is still a strong reader and usually has several books going at once.

My ds is extremely picky about books. He prefers non-fiction, but MTH is the only fiction he'll read. He's read about 20 of the books since last year, and he's now discovered the resource guides and is devouring those.

His twin has reading issues, so he hasn't read any of them yet, but his reading has been improving quite a bit lately and he's looking forward to finally being able to read the MTH series.

Needless to say, we're big MTH fans here. :)

:iagree: DS devoured them, too and they were the turning point in his reading longer books.

These books got my then 6 year old to really reading too. She still devours these books and they have helped make history "come alive" so to speak. As for the magic and religions... My family and I are conservative born-again Christians but I've never had a problem with magic. We read a lot of fairy tales, etc. I also introduce different religions from around the world. We discuss what makes that religions false (based on the Bible). Anyways... the books are clean and I don't see a problem with them. I do have many friends that do not allow their kids to read anything with magic in it. I respect their opinions and they respect mine.

I hate MTH for different reasons, but wouldn't have thrown it out (probably give it back as politely as I could). I'm pretty picky about what my kids read, because it's what they're filling their heads with, but an author writing about different religions would only be a problem if she was insulting all but her own - otherwise it's no different than what we teach in history. This author doesn't do that; in fact we've enjoyed some of her other books, including some Greek mythology written at a good kid-level.

Ok for readers at that stage that need practice to build comfort and fluency, with a tiny bit of history content, but not something I'd consider core curriculum for literature or history. My DD went through about a year where I think she read Magic Tree House 1-infinity, or at least it seemed that way. I think there's a real place for such books, and unless you object to magic or fantasy (or your history being tweaked and fictionalized), MTH is probably one of the better series in the whole realm of "Early chapter books".

My DS didn't like them because he didn't care for the characters. He did enjoy the Research Guide for Rome while we were studying Rome. He didn't mind her other books either.

I don't object to anything that gets DS to read voluntarily. He reads 1-2 grade levels ahead but doesn't ever choose to read anything.

I am at a point where I refrain from recommending books/movies/whatever to anyone because there are too many people that are offended by too many things. Honestly, if you are ok with your son reading the MTH books, fine. Your friend seems a little uptight, imo, but to each her own. Am I correct in reading that she threw out your copy? That's a little over the top.

Personally, I will do backflips when my youngest, who has seriously struggled with reading, can pick up a MTH book and read it.

The same is true of my DD9. She did not want to make the jump to chapter books until we found Magic Treehouse. Now, she is an avid reader, that devours more books than I can keep up with.

That's what I did when someone gave my oldest a Junie B. Jones book.

You can send them my way. :tongue_smilie: JBJ are one of the few things (beside his Cub Scout handbook) that DS will read willingly. He doesn't even complain when I tell him he has to read the whole thing in one sitting.

My ds is extremely picky about books. He prefers non-fiction, but MTH is the only fiction he'll read. He's read about 20 of the books since last year, and he's now discovered the resource guides and is devouring those.

:)

That's the exact reason we bought them. DS refused to read fiction. I finally convinced him to give them a try, we now have about 30 or so of them. He has since moved on to Secrets of Droon, and Nathaniel Fludd(I LOVE this series!). Also not great lit., but for DS (he's dyslexic) they are perfect. We are 100% secular so no problem with the magic. DC understand it's FICTION, as for the "friend" , I have known people like her, I'm related to people like her. I do my best to avoid those particular types of people, also I would ask to be reimbursed.

My daughters love them. I consider them to be fine for free time and in moderation. Mostly, I just see to it that the girls are reading other things first and then if they have time left over they read the MT books.

I just think it is like eating crackers - they are tasty, but not very nutritious :shrug3. As long as they are getting a good diet, though, a few crackers are probably fine. If I saw, though, that real nutrient-dense foods were being replaced by crackers, then it would be time to reevaluate.

I think they're great for young readers who are just branching into real chapter books. But I can't stand to read them aloud or listen to one of the audio books. The choppy sentences make me twitch. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I refuse to read them to the kids because of this, but they terrific for the early chapter book stage of reading. I have a whole box of them in the basement waiting for the next child to ready, but away from children who might choose them as a read aloud.

Learned something new. I didn't know there were research guides too :)

DD7 is just starting to read chapter books, she has read a couple and enjoyed them. We have no objection to the magic in them, it doesn't counter any beliefs as it is, to us,purely fictional.

These books got my then 6 year old to really reading too. She still devours these books and they have helped make history "come alive" so to speak. As for the magic and religions... My family and I are conservative born-again Christians but I've never had a problem with magic. We read a lot of fairy tales, etc. I also introduce different religions from around the world. We discuss what makes that religions false (based on the Bible). Anyways... the books are clean and I don't see a problem with them. I do have many friends that do not allow their kids to read anything with magic in it. I respect their opinions and they respect mine.

This is exactly how I view it. I agree that we should respect eachothers opinions and would have appreciated her giving it back. It wasn't a loan though. We just gave it to them because it was an extra my son had. He was very upset when he heard her say that she threw it out. He was so excited to get his friend into them lol. Poor kid.

And yes I have skimmed through some, read two, and listened to countless audiobooks of them in the car with my kids and never came accross anything to go against christianity in them. In fact, it has brought some very interesting and rewarding conversations to the table. Her main concern was the "One world, Many Religions" book by the Mary Pope. I guess I was just wondering what others thought. I know for now, they are great for my son and I plan to get him as many as he will read.

Thanks for all your comments!

They are semi-"twaddle" but entertaining and my kids like the history aspect. We have a whole shelf of them.

If your friend didn't care for MTH, she ought to have passed them along. That's what I did when someone gave my oldest a Junie B. Jones book.

:iagree:I bought a handful of Junie B. Jones books at a yardsale. I started reading one to DD and before I was even 1/3 of the way through the book I had to quit. They were atrocious. I just couldn't handle it! :tongue_smilie:

But I know that some children like them, and I would never throw a book away just because I didn't like it. *Especially* if it had been given to me. I would either politely refuse, or donate it to a library.

:iagree:I bought a handful of Junie B. Jones books at a yardsale. I started reading one to DD and before I was even 1/3 of the way through the book I had to quit. They were atrocious. I just couldn't handle it! :tongue_smilie:

But I know that some children like them, and I would never throw a book away just because I didn't like it. *Especially* if it had been given to me. I would either politely refuse, or donate it to a library.

What are the Junie B. Jones books? I am going to have to look at the library and see what they are.

What are the Junie B. Jones books? I am going to have to look at the library and see what they are.

They are another of the early reader chapter books. Similar in difficulty to Magic Treehouse, but about a little girl (Junie) and her adventures in school.

I don't expect DD to always read "quality" literature, and have no problem with a little "twaddle", but between the horrible grammar and the bad attitude of Junie, it was too much for me.

For girls I much prefer the Cobblestreet Cousins series by Cynthia Rylant.

They are another of the early reader chapter books. Similar in difficulty to Magic Treehouse, but about a little girl (Junie) and her adventures in school.

I don't expect DD to always read "quality" literature, and have no problem with a little "twaddle", but between the horrible grammar and the bad attitude of Junie, it was too much for me.

My DD actually came to me with a JBJ book (she got free at the library) and said "Mom, this book is awful. I don't want to read it. Can we get rid of it?" That made me take a closer look and I agree.

Shannon

Yes, they're fluffy, but the kids seem to like them :) .

I tried to read one as a read aloud to ds when he was 3 or so, but soon became very frustrated with the Jack said, Annie said, Jack said, Annie said, said Jack, said Annie dialogue.

I put it away and decided they'd be better for ds when he was ready to read them himself. They were his first real series that he read on his own and devoured them all the summer he was 5.

Her main concern was the "One world, Many Religions" book

She doesn't want to read any book by any author who acknowledges the indisputable fact that people around the world practice many different religions? That seems .... limiting.

My oldest has some kind of aesthetic objection to books involving time travel, but he loves the MTH research guides.

I have heard the same comments regarding the Junie series. I have heard that she has a terrible attitude and many people that I know don't read the series for that reason.

I was looking into the Cobblestreet Cousins series for my daughter. I had just stumbled across them. I'm glad to hear some positive feedback! I think I'll add them to my wishlist!

I have heard good things about the Magic Tree House series. The few negative comments that my friends have made are about the lack of good writing and grammar in the books. They are not well-written literature books but their kids all enjoy them. I have some on my library list so we're going to try a few.

But I have to agree, that while some may not agree with the books or may not want to read them, I cannot fathom throwing out a book. I always have a small donation pile going for books that were given to us that don't suit our family or for books we don't want anymore. I offer them to other homeschoolers in our area or take them to the library. I think I would be pretty upset if I knew someone had thrown out a book rather than give it away.

My daughter loved them when she was a new reader. And she actually did learn from them. They are a quick and easy read, which is great for new readers.

As far as your friend throwing the book away, well, I'm sort of speechless. Give it back? Fine! But seriously, throwing it away? Wow! I'm surprised she admitted it to you.

DD loves them and it's introduced her to chapter books. She also enjoys "The Littles". They've helped dd become more fluent in her reading. They drive me nuts because of the choppy sentences and 'she said, he said' dialog but I love seeing my dd sit down and read a chapter book willingly. :)

Her main concern was the "One world, Many Religions" book by the Mary Pope. I guess I was just wondering what others thought. I know for now, they are great for my son and I plan to get him as many as he will read.

Thanks for all your comments!

We've read parts of "One world, Many Religions" last fall. We had to return it to the library before we could finish. We will probably check it out again and read the rest.

From what I remember it was a very basic overview of the different religions. With the amount of diversity in each religion it would be hard to make statements that are true for every Christian or every Buddhist but, she covers the widest held beliefs. I didn't find anything offensive but, I'm an atheist/UU.

We used them with DS#1 as read-alouds starting at about age 4, and he loved them. I agree - these are not literature and the dialogue can be a bit numbing after a while - but they sparked a lot of interest in my DS and we used them as an introduction to a lot of fascinating times and places in history. Now, at the ripe old age of 7, he has moved on to different things, but we're starting them with DS#2.

Who would throw away a book? Seriously?

Well, I will take a contrary opinion to most of the responses here and offer some comments in support of the woman who objected to the Magic Tree House books. I have actually always been surprised by the lack of controversy around these books for their religious content.

Let me first state, however, that my daughter loves them and I am somewhat reluctantly letting her read them (she is 6 and is now on book 21, Civil War on Sunday).

Personally, I cannot stand the Magic Tree House books. First, from a strictly literary historical perspective, both my wife and I object to turning Morgan La Fay into a good person. She has her unique role in the Arthurian legends, and recycling her into the smarmy character of the Magic Tree House books does her no favors.

(On the other hand, perhaps she is not as good as Jack and Annie seem to think--she is always sending them back in time to undertake dangerous missions. Why isn't she do her own dangerous work? If I didn't know better, I would think that she was trying to knock Jack and Annie off.)

Second, I find the many sentence fragments in these books annoying. They set a very poor example of English usage to students still mastering English. I find it interesting that the reading level of the later books tend to be lower than the early ones. It appears that she developed her formula and realized it appealed to kids a little younger than she first intended. We have not read anything else by the author, but the librarian at our library assures us that the quality of those books is much better.

Third, I do have some issues with the religious content. The books reflect religious indifferentism and relativism--if it's true for you, then it's true.

For example, in the book, Vacation under the Volcano, Morgan instructs Jack and Annie to call upon the book they are saving (a story about Hercules), if they get into trouble. When they do so, Hercules rescues them. Jack argues that it couldn't have been Hercules and must have been a gladiator, since Hercules is a myth. Annie, however, specifically argues that they were saved by Hercules, and then explains:

"Hercules is a myth to people in this time," said Annie. "But in Roman times, lots of people believed he was real. So, since we were in Roman times, he was real to us."

Jack is evidently persuaded and then looks up to the sky to offer up a prayer of thanks to Hercules ("Thanks Hercules, whatever you are.")

There are similar passages in other volumes, as well.

Annie's theory of what happened would also suggest that gods are called into existence by the collective belief of a society, that these gods can then respond to the prayers of their devotees, and that when people stop believing in their gods, the gods cease to exist or lose their power.

Curiously, however, I have not observed (at least so far) the kids being saved through the divine intervention of the Christian deity in any of the books set in the Christian era. For example, in Viking Ships at Sunrise (about a Viking raid on an Irish Christian monastery), the children are saved by the intervention of a Celtic sea monster, not by Christ or by a saint. Christianity seems to be the one religion which is never "true" in the Magic Tree House books.

If one believes in objective truth (whether philosophically or religiously based), the religious relativism of the Magic Tree House books is a legitimate reason to not have one's children read these books.

Well, I will take a contrary opinion to most of the responses here and offer some comments in support of the woman who objected to the Magic Tree House books. I have actually always been surprised by the lack of controversy around these books for their religious content.

Let me first state, however, that my daughter loves them and I am somewhat reluctantly letting her read them (she is 6 and is now on book 21, Civil War on Sunday).

Personally, I cannot stand the Magic Tree House books. First, from a strictly literary historical perspective, both my wife and I object to turning Morgan La Fay into a good person. She has her unique role in the Arthurian legends, and recycling her into the smarmy character of the Magic Tree House books does her no favors.

(On the other hand, perhaps she is not as good as Jack and Annie seem to think--she is always sending them back in time to undertake dangerous missions. Why isn't she do her own dangerous work? If I didn't know better, I would think that she was trying to knock Jack and Annie off.)

Second, I find the many sentence fragments in these books annoying. They set a very poor example of English usage to students still mastering English. I find it interesting that the reading level of the later books tend to be lower than the early ones. It appears that she developed her formula and realized it appealed to kids a little younger than she first intended. We have not read anything else by the author, but the librarian at our library assures us that the quality of those books is much better.

Third, I do have some issues with the religious content. The books reflect religious indifferentism and relativism--if it's true for you, then it's true.

For example, in the book, Vacation under the Volcano, Morgan instructs Jack and Annie to call upon the book they are saving (a story about Hercules), if they get into trouble. When they do so, Hercules rescues them. Jack argues that it couldn't have been Hercules and must have been a gladiator, since Hercules is a myth. Annie, however, specifically argues that they were saved by Hercules, and then explains:

"Hercules is a myth to people in this time," said Annie. "But in Roman times, lots of people believed he was real. So, since we were in Roman times, he was real to us."

Jack is evidently persuaded and then looks up to the sky to offer up a prayer of thanks to Hercules ("Thanks Hercules, whatever you are.")

There are similar passages in other volumes, as well.

Annie's theory of what happened would also suggest that gods are called into existence by the collective belief of a society, that these gods can then respond to the prayers of their devotees, and that when people stop believing in their gods, the gods cease to exist or lose their power.

Curiously, however, I have not observed (at least so far) the kids being saved through the divine intervention of the Christian deity in any of the books set in the Christian era. For example, in Viking Ships at Sunrise (about a Viking raid on an Irish Christian monastery), the children are saved by the intervention of a Celtic sea monster, not by Christ or by a saint. Christianity seems to be the one religion which is never "true" in the Magic Tree House books.

If one believes in objective truth (whether philosophically or religiously based), the religious relativism of the Magic Tree House books is a legitimate reason to not have one's children read these books.

I want to thank you for your honest opinion. You make some good points that I will have to take into consideration. This is why I posted this thread.