Menu

What is your Schooling Budget?

Koerarmoca

I ask this because we are VERY limited here. My dh thinks I can school 3 kids with $100 (not including basic supplies like paper, pencils, notebooks etc.) I am trying to tell him that $100 can be 1 subject for 1 kid. would you care to share a good idea of what you think is reasonable for 1 child. I have 1st, 4th & 8th graders. I don't care about buying used, older editions, poor condition (but usable) books.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I budget $100 a month here (up from $50 a month as my kids are getting older and we took an online class). A lot of that goes to free reading books, though, so I'm not sure exactly how much I spend on things strictly related to schooling. My kids are in 4th and 6th this year.

Our budget is around $1000 for four kids. This year was only $900, Last year was $1200. Most of my budget is spent on the oldest, then I am able to reuse many things for the next kids. I think the younger ones were each about $50-60 each. I'm expecting the price to go up in two years (with a 7th grader) and on into high school because of the cost of lab sciences. I buy very little used. Hopefully you will be able to raise your budget a little - but if not, I'm sure there are lots of ladies on here who will have lots of suggestions on how to keep down costs! Good luck.

This year I will spend @ $1200, but that went up a bit because of the materials for my 8th grade ds. I have three boys (the other two are 3rd and 6th). I am finding that the older they get, the more expensive it is.:glare: This price does not include field trips, co-op fees or classes.

Have your husband research curriculum.:D

Yeah, I'm trying to put together our pre-k/k budget for as inexpensively as possible, but it's pretty hard even purchasing used books and using the library and using free online resources to even school one child for $100 a year. I can't imagine 3 for $100 unless you were able to get a huge portion your curriculum donated or find it free somewhere (which isn't likely).

What I do is set up a spreadsheet with the cost of each individual item I purchase (if you are going to buy it used, put in the retail and used cost) and then I show it to the hubby. Hubbies like line items. :tongue_smilie: If you have cheaper alternatives, try to go with them (without obviously sacrificing quality).

HTH!

For this coming year I am spending about $500 dollars on curriculum and books. Most of what I bought was used and would have cost over $900 dollars new. Supplies I buy as needed, or when they are on sale. We use our tax return to buy curriculum. My DH feels the kids education is very important and wouldn't mind if I spent what ever I found necessary.

Do a search on here for free curriculum threads. There are a couple with many resources that you could look into. I have also used http://www.homeschoolforfree.net at times.

Homeschooling for very little money is not what I'd want to do. I like all the new, shiny curricula out there. But if you need to spend very little, it can be done.

Are there things around your house you could sell to "earn" extra money to put toward schooling? Do you have a good library available? Do you know other homeschooling families that have some things you could borrow?

ETA: Here are a couple threads that I referenced above: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109114&highlight=free+curriculum and http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118355&highlight=free+curriculum

Edited by Princess Peach
added links

$100 per month

or

$100 per year ?????

You can easily teach 3 for less than $100 a MONTH. But, $100 per year is almost impossible.

You can buy math workbooks and grammar workbooks at a bookstore or teacher supply store for maybe $100. Most workbooks cost between $8 and $25 PER workbook. It would probably take 2 or 3 workbooks per child per year.

You could teach everything else using the library and LOTS of your time.

I understand having an extremely limited budget.... I could probably do 3 kids on $300 per year.

I manage to school pretty inexpensively, but not that inexpensively. I think I spend between $400-500 for 3 children. That doesn't include basic supplies and such. I use my library when I can, and I'm lucky to have an awesome used bookstore where I can almost always find what I need for school. I also try to shop library book sales whenever I can, I use free curriculum when I can and I try to buy used whenever possible.

Honestly, my budget is whatever I can sell no longer needed curriculum items for. We may add in a bit extra but for the most part, if I can make $300, $500, etc...on selling previous years items then that is what I try to stick with. I make it a point to look for items we need/want for school used also by looking here or on EBAY or other homeschool classifieds sites.

I include conferences, curricula and books for the boys. I also include sports (because we do those as part of homeschooling) but not scouts (because we'd do that anyway) and spend close to $1000 per yer PER CHILD. We do choose the more expensive option on some things because I have limited time due to working from home. If I wasn't working, we'd be able to do it somewhat cheaper but would still probably spend $750 a child.

I ask this because we are VERY limited here. My dh thinks I can school 3 kids with $100 (not including basic supplies like paper, pencils, notebooks etc.) I am trying to tell him that $100 can be 1 subject for 1 kid. would you care to share a good idea of what you think is reasonable for 1 child. I have 1st, 4th & 8th graders. I don't care about buying used, older editions, poor condition (but usable) books.

Is this 100$ a month or total?

He said $100 per semester (I just asked him to clearify)... I am doing trimesters so that will give me an extra $100. so roughly $300 for 3 kids for 1 year. Tax funds are not an option we had to buy a new van this year so that $$$ went fast and I did get a few things just not everything I wanted.

the good points though are

1. he loves book sales he never really limits me on grabbing books if they are super cheap and they spark some interest in him as well.

2. I do already have some things I have Math & History for my 8th grader, and I have almost everything for my 1st grader.

3. I don't mind a trip to the library every 2 weeks.

4. Our local public school will provide text books upon request but no TE's (I could supplement some with them but I couldn't fully depend on them and they are not from a biblical perspective)

The best and most reasonable good point is I can usually convince him to allow 1 purchase per pay check on things. for example my printer takes 4 inks, so every 2 wks I get a new ink I am 1 ink away from being all new ink :lol:. I need storage supplies so he allows me to buy 1 $5 storage bin per check. I am quite certain I could do this with some of the more affordable items like spelling books or workbooks etc.

he is just the type that its so hard to put a bunch of $$ out at one time when we have many pressing bills that have to come first.

Yeh, $100 a year would be tough. I don't know that I could do that. Yes, it can be done, but what it will cost you is time. There are a lot of free options online and of course there is the library, but it would take quite a bit of time to put it together.

I think it would be VERY challenging to hs an 8th grader on $100. The younger 2, maybe...but to prepare your 8th grader for high school may cost a bit more than that.

I second the idea of finding things around the house to sell. Maybe you have something that can bring in a bit of money. Kid's toys, clothing, and even used curricula could bring in enough money to help you out.

I'm hoping you meant $100 a month, though.

I spend less than $600 for curriculum per year for 3 children. This is for elementary age. I also take $75 per month for lessons (swimming currently for all 3) free reading books, co-op fees, field trips, and one museum membership. I also get $10 a month for supplies (usually for co-op), on top of ink purchases that aren't really budgeted. That is my budget.

$300 for 3 kids is doable, although I don't know that I would want to try it for an 8th grader. I would be stressed out if I had to use only free or really inexpensive curriculum and still get her ready for high school.

Edited by beckyjo

Currently we budget $150 a month. This includes 1 activity each month per child. For example. DD1 is involved in a running program and that comes to $40 a month and DD2 is taking drama also $40 so our budget in the fund is $70, but we don't always do a monthly activity.

I first come up with my dream budget picking anything that I want and putting it into a spread sheet. Then after I pick myself up off the floor from sticker shock, I start narrowing it down. Throwing out stuff that is just because I think it might be neat to have on the shelf. But I usually tell DH at this time of year what it will cost and quote high so we can plan and start pulling funds together. And then I stalk for used items and beg friends for stuff that I can borrow!!!

I can and have done it for under $100 a year. There are so many free resources out there that it really can be done.

I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it. I can't imagine the stress of trying to find these "free resources", put them together into a workable program, and hope that my children do well with all the choices. Yikes, I would be burnt out after the first month!

I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it. I can't imagine the stress of trying to find these "free resources", put them together into a workable program, and hope that my children do well with all the choices. Yikes, I would be burnt out after the first month!

:iagree:

We've had to budget for our 7 years of homeschooling. The first year (1st grade) I spent about 200.00. One year I literally only had 100.00 to use. For one child it was a stretch, but doable.

Now we spend about 700 to 1000 per year. Yes, we spend 175.00 on languages alone.

I think 300.00 for the year would be a stretch, but it could be done. I would find an inexpensive history spine like SOTW and add library books. Math would be another area I'd budget some money. The right program isn't always the free one. Grammar, spelling, and writing can be done nearly free at the younger levels.

Look at ambleside online for some free ideas. I wouldn't chose curriculum just because it's free, but define your philosophy of education and make choices based upon that. Then pare down and prioritize. There should be some free ideas among your final choices.

Elementary age, the younger set, sure. I wouldn't want to try that for 8th though. Even the fairly inexpensive algebra program I would want to use ends up being over $100 for the year. Then there is science and everything else.

I told DH $550 earlier this year... That includes second grade and some K stuff. I keep a spreadsheet so I can give a fairly exact number... Which I then pad. :)

If we figured out how little we could spend. My dh and i lived for a month on black beans, and rice but it wasn't what we wanted to do again. I know that many of the families in the world have little choice and my heart goes out to them.

If you look at ambleside online http://www.amblesideonline.org/ you can see what you need to purchase. I think that math worksheets can be found online as well.

But then again, you need internet, computer and ink!

hth

We spent about $400 for two children for the year, 2010-2011. I expect it'll be the same if not less next year as I alreay have a lot of what we'll be using. I buy a lot of downloadable things (and have a really efficient printer, but you could tack on about $100 extra in ink and paper over te year), and a lo of non-consumables that can be shared/passed on. We use the library a lot.

We live on a tight budget too. Almost all of our schoolbooks that we get are used---except the consumable workbooks, of course.

Next year I have one child going into 2nd grade and another reviewing K5. I've been buying a little along before the next school year. But overall I think for the year I might be spending around $400.00. It takes alot of time and research on my part to find what I need used. I would love to be able to buy all brand new things, but my kids are going to have a quality education and that's what counts.

don't really keep up with it (guess I should huh?) LOL I just order as I can afford to get what I like---I would say usually that I spend a couple of hundred each year so far-we will be doing 3rd grade studies this coming fall---now as he gets older and needing more advanced studies I'm sure that will go up ALOT (doesn't include paper/pencils/supplies/etc)...... :)

What is reasonable is what you have available.

I think it would be difficult to jump in with $100 at this point, but with $100 per year from the beginning, you can buy materials that can be used for multiple children over multiple years. For example, for a $.50 copy of How to Tutor and a few ETC books and library books, I taught two dc how to read. I invested $50 or so into a used copy of TWSS from IEW, and I have taught all my dc to write from that.

I do think it is easier if you can budget more as your older one gets to high school. If times are really that tight, though, you can use online materials instead of textbooks if you have to. For example, for $50 a subject (Biology, Chemistry, etc.,) you can get the DIVE DVDs for science and use the internet links provided in the syllabus.

It is a balancing act between understanding that you do need to spend some money to homeschool and understanding that basic needs must come before homeschooling supplies. There are families who spend money on $$$$ curriculum that they don't have, and there are families pinching pennies on curriculum when they really do have it to spend. Somewhere between there is good. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

This thread has been very helpful. I am glad (well not glad but I can't think of a better word) to see that others struggle in this area somewhat too.

I like knowing too that I can pass things down easily, having 4 girls I already do so much passing down with clothes, toys etc.

I think my first grader is set mostly. So that frees up more $$ to use on the older kids. My 4th grader would do workbooks all.day.long if I let her. She is NOT the type to even want to be taught she wants to figure everything out for herself. She is big on reading too so its pretty easy to Tailor things to meet those needs. I have the more expensive things already purchased for my 8th grader. I have Math & History covered (and then some) I also bought Apologia Gen Science but I think I need to do physical science. More or less I need to figure out LA/Writing for her and I am so stumped because she is week in this area so I don't want to skimp.

We used to have a decent income' date=' then the economy got us and well we are now a family of 6 living on $30,000 a year. We make it work because it's important to us.

[/quote']

:grouphug:

That must be a really rough transition...In New Jersey, that is a lot of people's mortage, and some people's rent...Our housing is about $20K a year, and I don't even own this house...

I think that it is great that you are making it work...I respect what you are doing...We live on $65K a year as a family of 5, and I feel stretched...Most people I know live on 100K + a year, or what we live on with no kids...

Maybe we should get out of New Jersey :tongue_smilie:

Edit: I realized I didn't answer your direct question about how much we spend. Currently, I spend about $250 per year on one child. However, I spend that much only because I can and it makes my life easier. I can and have spent much less. For several years, I spent under $200 on two kids. It is do-able.

In general, I've found that curriculum takes either time or money. So, I'd think you could manage this, but it will take a lot of work.

As others have mentioned, there are lots of free resources available online. I think, if you're really motivated, between those resources and your local library, you've probably got everthing you need.

For younger kids, it doesn't actually take much. When mine were elementary aged, we got buy just fine with a few workbooks from Barnes & Noble, the library and some creativity from me.

So, if you have $300 for the 5, 9 and 12 year olds, here's how I might approach it. I'd begin with thinking about what the eldest needs.

I don't know what educational approach you're planning, by the way. So, I'll just tell you my off-the-cuff thoughts.

I always start by making a list of the subjects and general areas I want to cover with each child. I do a lot of research online and make long lists of lots of different materials that sound interesting, but I also just list the topics so that I have them handy while I'm out and about.

Each year, I take a cruise through the websites of several different curriculum providers and see what books and materials they use for kids the same age/grade level as mine. I read the descriptions and look at the books at Amazon or B&N.com and add to my list the ones I think look most intriguing.

I'd search this forum for ideas of where to find free resources online. For example, one of my very favorite freebies is the collection of free literature study guides from Glencoe: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/ These are designed to accompany their hardcover editions, but we've used them with whatever paperback I have sitting around.

I'd hit local thrift stores first and see if anything great leapt into my hands that covered anything on my list. I'm often amazed at what I can find at such places, including a few of the exact books I had on my wish list.

Once I had seen how much I could check off for free or cheap, I'd go directly to the closest Barnes & Noble and sign up for their educator discount. You'll probably need to show them some evidence that you are homeschooling. I usually just take a copy of my letter of intent, but in some years I've made up and printed a little ID card that I "laminate" with clear packing tape. They usually like that, too.

I'd start with the bargain shelves, which has also yielded all kinds of great stuff for my kids over the years. Then, I'd hit the education section for workbooks for any core subject I didn't think I could teach without some help. In my case, that would be science and math, although I wouldn't turn down a basic, inexpensive workbook for history/social studies or writing, either.

For the 8th grade, for example, you could get one of the following for math (whichever is appropriate for your daughter's level):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Math-Grade-8/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769636986/?itm=1&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Geometry-Grades-6-8/Carson-Dellosa-Publishing-Staff/e/9780769663265/?itm=6&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Algebra-Grades-6-8/Carson-Dellosa-Publishing-Staff/e/9780769663067/?itm=7&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

There are any number of websites that have helps and practice problems for various levels of math. One of our favorites for algebra and up is http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm. We also used: http://www.math.com/ .

Then, you could add:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Science-Grade-8/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769653686/?itm=2&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Writing/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769652887/?itm=5&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

There are lots of other workbook series. These were just our favorites when we were using them.

These average about $10, it looks like. So, $30 would give you the basics for math, science and writing.

For history, I'd choose an inexpensive spine. For example, my kids have used history encyclopedias from those wonderful B&N bargain shelves. One of those can be had for about $12, usually.

For literature, I'd make a list of the books for which those Glencoe guides are available that fit within whatever historical era I wanted to cover.

Then, I'd search my local library for resources to use for fleshing out history, science and literature, like extra books, DVDs, CDs, etc. You might find things for math, too. (Both of my kids have enjoyed the Standard Deviants DVDs.)

Foreign languages are tougher, but do-able on the cheap, too. We used a couple of "teach yourself Spanish" books from B&N as an introduction for my daughter. Those are more expensive than the workbooks I listed above, but might work if you had a good coupon. Our local library has a variety of materials, too. And there are resources like this one: http://www.studyspanish.com/ (I found it by searching "learn spanish free.")

I'd have my daughter choose an elective or two that really interest her and, again, search out free and cheap resources using the same approach as for other subjects.

Here's what we have so far:

History: $12 spine and library resources

Writing: $10 workbook

Science: $10 workbook and library resources

Math: $10 workbook, library resources and extra practice as needed online

Foreign language (introductory): $25 bookstore resource and / or free online

Elective: free or cheap resources as necessary (budget of as much as $25)

That would cover your eldest for a little less than $100.

Once you've got the eldest covered, you can do the same thing for the next in line, although the 9 nine year old will probably need less stuff.

Assume you buy her four of the same kinds of spines and workbooks at a total cost of $42 and let her tag along watching the same DVDs and such as her big sister. If she reads from the library, you're covered.

For the 5 year old, you honestly don't need much. At that age, my kids did a lot of simple projects from places like http://www.dltk-kids.com/ . Add library books, and she's good.

So far, I've spent less than half of your $300 budget. So, you'd even have room to add more items.

I know some will say that free and cheap materials do not produce as great an education as those fancy, pricy curricula over which we all love to drool. But I don't believe it. We've found that the most important ingredient in giving your kids a terrific education is your attitude. If you treat school seriously and insist that your children do the absolute best job they can with the materials you provide, I think they'll do fine. Mine certainly excelled, even though early on much of their curriculum came from the dollar store.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Since my kids are in high school, it's been about $1000 to $1300 a year for their curriculum (Sonlight cores, Apologia Science, Teaching Textbooks math, etc) I buy used whenever I can, and re-sell their books when we are through with both children. I've been able to re-sell their school books for almost what I paid for them, when I am able to buy them "gently used."

Piano lessons are about $800 per year per child, but we have stopped those, as my husband lost his job a year ago and we went 8 months without his income.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer your direct question about how much we spend. Currently, I spend about $250 per year on one child. However, I spend that much only because I can and it makes my life easier. I can and have spent much less. For several years, I spent under $200 on two kids. It is do-able.

In general, I've found that curriculum takes either time or money. So, I'd think you could manage this, but it will take a lot of work.

As others have mentioned, there are lots of free resources available online. I think, if you're really motivated, between those resources and your local library, you've probably got everthing you need.

For younger kids, it doesn't actually take much. When mine were elementary aged, we got buy just fine with a few workbooks from Barnes & Noble, the library and some creativity from me.

So, if you have $300 for the 5, 9 and 12 year olds, here's how I might approach it. I'd begin with thinking about what the eldest needs.

I don't know what educational approach you're planning, by the way. So, I'll just tell you my off-the-cuff thoughts.

I always start by making a list of the subjects and general areas I want to cover with each child. I do a lot of research online and make long lists of lots of different materials that sound interesting, but I also just list the topics so that I have them handy while I'm out and about.

Each year, I take a cruise through the websites of several different curriculum providers and see what books and materials they use for kids the same age/grade level as mine. I read the descriptions and look at the books at Amazon or B&N.com and add to my list the ones I think look most intriguing.

I'd search this forum for ideas of where to find free resources online. For example, one of my very favorite freebies is the collection of free literature study guides from Glencoe: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/ These are designed to accompany their hardcover editions, but we've used them with whatever paperback I have sitting around.

I'd hit local thrift stores first and see if anything great leapt into my hands that covered anything on my list. I'm often amazed at what I can find at such places, including a few of the exact books I had on my wish list.

Once I had seen how much I could check off for free or cheap, I'd go directly to the closest Barnes & Noble and sign up for their educator discount. You'll probably need to show them some evidence that you are homeschooling. I usually just take a copy of my letter of intent, but in some years I've made up and printed a little ID card that I "laminate" with clear packing tape. They usually like that, too.

I'd start with the bargain shelves, which has also yielded all kinds of great stuff for my kids over the years. Then, I'd hit the education section for workbooks for any core subject I didn't think I could teach without some help. In my case, that would be science and math, although I wouldn't turn down a basic, inexpensive workbook for history/social studies or writing, either.

For the 8th grade, for example, you could get one of the following for math (whichever is appropriate for your daughter's level):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Math-Grade-8/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769636986/?itm=1&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Geometry-Grades-6-8/Carson-Dellosa-Publishing-Staff/e/9780769663265/?itm=6&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Algebra-Grades-6-8/Carson-Dellosa-Publishing-Staff/e/9780769663067/?itm=7&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

There are any number of websites that have helps and practice problems for various levels of math. One of our favorites for algebra and up is http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm. We also used: http://www.math.com/ .

Then, you could add:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Science-Grade-8/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769653686/?itm=2&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spectrum-Writing/School-Specialty-Publishing/e/9780769652887/?itm=5&USRI=spectrum+grade+8

There are lots of other workbook series. These were just our favorites when we were using them.

These average about $10, it looks like. So, $30 would give you the basics for math, science and writing.

For history, I'd choose an inexpensive spine. For example, my kids have used history encyclopedias from those wonderful B&N bargain shelves. One of those can be had for about $12, usually.

For literature, I'd make a list of the books for which those Glencoe guides are available that fit within whatever historical era I wanted to cover.

Then, I'd search my local library for resources to use for fleshing out history, science and literature, like extra books, DVDs, CDs, etc. You might find things for math, too. (Both of my kids have enjoyed the Standard Deviants DVDs.)

Foreign languages are tougher, but do-able on the cheap, too. We used a couple of "teach yourself Spanish" books from B&N as an introduction for my daughter. Those are more expensive than the workbooks I listed above, but might work if you had a good coupon. Our local library has a variety of materials, too. And there are resources like this one: http://www.studyspanish.com/ (I found it by searching "learn spanish free.")

I'd have my daughter choose an elective or two that really interest her and, again, search out free and cheap resources using the same approach as for other subjects.

Here's what we have so far:

History: $12 spine and library resources

Writing: $10 workbook

Science: $10 workbook and library resources

Math: $10 workbook, library resources and extra practice as needed online

Foreign language (introductory): $25 bookstore resource and / or free online

Elective: free or cheap resources as necessary (budget of as much as $25)

That would cover your eldest for a little less than $100.

Once you've got the eldest covered, you can do the same thing for the next in line, although the 9 nine year old will probably need less stuff.

Assume you buy her four of the same kinds of spines and workbooks at a total cost of $42 and let her tag along watching the same DVDs and such as her big sister. If she reads from the library, you're covered.

For the 5 year old, you honestly don't need much. At that age, my kids did a lot of simple projects from places like http://www.dltk-kids.com/ . Add library books, and she's good.

So far, I've spent less than half of your $300 budget. So, you'd even have room to add more items.

I know some will say that free and cheap materials do not produce as great an education as those fancy, pricy curricula over which we all love to drool. But I don't believe it. We've found that the most important ingredient in giving your kids a terrific education is your attitude. If you treat school seriously and insist that your children do the absolute best job they can with the materials you provide, I think they'll do fine. Mine certainly excelled, even though early on much of their curriculum came from the dollar store.

Thanks, I will look into a lot of that. I also don't believe that free/cheap don't do the same job. my grandfather was a street kid and a hustler (his parents where addicts) he stopped going to school in 3rd grade he schooled himself via a library card passed his highschool competency test and got a PhD in physiology at the ripe age of 53.. he worked as a carpenter and went back to college for the fun of it and he made it to the top :) (not that I would do that to my kids but just a good example of the power of a library card :lol:)

We budget $200 a month. I have an 8th grader, 6th grader, and 4th grader. I try to buy to as much as I can used especially for the younger two. This budget includes any trips we might take and supplies. However, most is spent on books & curriculum. I copy a lot so that I can resell these books to reinvest into more curriculum. I don't like to spend a lot of time on planning so open and go curriculum is more expensive than finding "free" resources.

May I say sadly that we are a family of 7 living on 18,000 currently. It is impossible to buy curriculum with this income, but I am selling old stuff, babysitting, doing all I can to get enough to school my 5 kids, high school down to kindergarten. I appreciate what you are saying, but for me this is my priority.

It's not so bad... and leaves us lots of room to get creative and think outside the box (which thinking outside the box is part of why we homeschool our kids anyway).

We used to have a decent income' date=' then the economy got us and well we are now a family of 6 living on $30,000 a year. We make it work because it's important to us.

Here are some of my favorite things:

Grammar: vintage texts, my favorites are the Maxwell books and also Grammar Land oh and writing can be done this way too.

Reading: www.bookadventure.org plus just googling for lessonplans and worksheets for specific books. I will look at lists like Sonlight and Ambleside for ideas but we read what ever makes us happy.

Math we like the cheap The Complete Book of Math books and then move into Teaching Textbooks.. I start hunting way early for a killer deal on what we will use next.. but there is that cmsp or what ever it is that is free right?

Science is living books and then I have Prentice Hall Science Explorer for middle school (and am now on the hunt for highschool even though we aren't there yet.. but I need to find a deal). But really there are some great free science things out there we have used LOTS from: http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/matrix.php it is one of my favorite sites and has been for years now!

For Social Studies I love http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/lessons/matrix.html, it's more geography but totally awesome and fun. For history I use a cheap spine (The Complete Book of United States History and The Complete Book of World History are my favorites) and add in living books and hands on crafts.

For Music there is www.classicsforkids.com

Art is crafts with other subjects usually.

PE is what ever comes along.. playing Wii, taking walks, going for bike rides, playing baseball in the yard, etc.

I buy most books we read.. but I buy them at yard sales and thrift stores for dirt cheap unless I want something specific and then I will allow x amount of time to find it on the cheap and then I will move on to amazon, ebay, half and if I'm lucky paperbackswap.com.

I buy all our crayons, pencils, notebooks, etc when Walmart has back to school sales, I stock up big time. I watch for deals on paper at Staples (like when I can get a whole case for $25 or less.. even if it means buying 2 at that time.. because those 2 will last me about 2 years). I have a printer that has super cheap generic ink available on ebay (less than $1 a cartridge) which is a big thing for me.

It's not hard really at all, and it's not all that time consuming. It also really fits the way we started homeschooling, back in the day before I knew about all the millions of things available to us.. and it fits my family quite well.

There are some great threads here on the board about homeschooling on the cheap.

The better your library the less you need to spend.

If you can cover English and Math, the library can do the rest. It could probably handle English and Math as well but, I lack creativity.

Other people will have better ideas for English. Not my strong area.

There are a couple of free math programs. CSMP, MEP, I can't think of the name for the one that is out of copy write (Ray's Arithmetic?). There are also some cheaper programs. Math Mammoth is on sale right now for $47.50 for grades 1-6.

For History and Science have your kids pick out a book on a topic every time your visit the library. This can cover a lot of ground and would especially work well for the younger kids.

I can and have done it for under $100 a year. There are so many free resources out there that it really can be done.

:iagree:

I think if you don't have a library available, you have to spend more. But even without a library, I buy a lot of used books and use inexpensive / free curriculum. You just have be choosier about what you do use. Buy one thing that does it's job really well instead of many little things that have to be pieced together (unless they are cheap/free).

For one kiddo in 2nd Grade - I spend less than $100 a year for curriculum. I do spend a bit over $100 if you count the extra books we like to buy.

I think it can also make a difference with how laid back / creative vs intense and curriculum heavy you are.

MEP is awesome math that is totally free except for printing (and I just use my computer to keep the lesson books so I only print the worksheets we are going to use.

For $15, I got a two geology 'spines' (used) with activities. I'm supplementing with library books. There's my science. (Most supplies are found either in nature or household items.)

History - SOTW & AG, used I think were $15 or so... I bought them a while ago, so I'm not positive. Again, supplementing with library.

FLL was like $5 used. It had 2 years of grammar. Between it's copywork & stuff I make up myself - we are taking care of what I consider sufficient for writing and spelling at this point. (I know the writing will get more expensive as he actually starts writing.) Next year we will be using GrammarLand which is free.

We take a very CM approach to Bible: we read it and discuss/narrate.

We don't really do Art/Music right now, but I think next year we'll be adding in both - using online/library resources just to be exposed.

-- Now, I understand that as the kids get older, it does get more expensive. But the free/cheap resources are still there, you just might need to get more creative with them! Oh - and combine kids where you can! You might be able to find a history or science spine/curriculum that will cover all your kids at once!

Thanks, I will look into a lot of that. I also don't believe that free/cheap don't do the same job. my grandfather was a street kid and a hustler (his parents where addicts) he stopped going to school in 3rd grade he schooled himself via a library card passed his highschool competency test and got a PhD in physiology at the ripe age of 53.. he worked as a carpenter and went back to college for the fun of it and he made it to the top :) (not that I would do that to my kids but just a good example of the power of a library card :lol:)

I was just reading the story of Ben Carson in Honey for a Teen's Heart. His mother insisted that her inner-city Detroit-raised sons check two books a week out of the library, read them, and tell her what they said. That changed his life.

I think sometimes all of the money spent on curriculum sometimes gets in the way of actual teaching, fwiw.

It's not so bad... and leaves us lots of room to get creative and think outside the box (which thinking outside the box is part of why we homeschool our kids anyway).

Here are some of my favorite things:

Grammar: vintage texts, my favorites are the Maxwell books and also Grammar Land oh and writing can be done this way too.

Reading: www.bookadventure.org plus just googling for lessonplans and worksheets for specific books. I will look at lists like Sonlight and Ambleside for ideas but we read what ever makes us happy.

Math we like the cheap The Complete Book of Math books and then move into Teaching Textbooks.. I start hunting way early for a killer deal on what we will use next.. but there is that cmsp or what ever it is that is free right?

Science is living books and then I have Prentice Hall Science Explorer for middle school (and am now on the hunt for highschool even though we aren't there yet.. but I need to find a deal). But really there are some great free science things out there we have used LOTS from: http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/matrix.php it is one of my favorite sites and has been for years now!

For Social Studies I love http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/lessons/matrix.html, it's more geography but totally awesome and fun. For history I use a cheap spine (The Complete Book of United States History and The Complete Book of World History are my favorites) and add in living books and hands on crafts.

For Music there is www.classicsforkids.com

Art is crafts with other subjects usually.

PE is what ever comes along.. playing Wii, taking walks, going for bike rides, playing baseball in the yard, etc.

I buy most books we read.. but I buy them at yard sales and thrift stores for dirt cheap unless I want something specific and then I will allow x amount of time to find it on the cheap and then I will move on to amazon, ebay, half and if I'm lucky paperbackswap.com.

I buy all our crayons, pencils, notebooks, etc when Walmart has back to school sales, I stock up big time. I watch for deals on paper at Staples (like when I can get a whole case for $25 or less.. even if it means buying 2 at that time.. because those 2 will last me about 2 years). I have a printer that has super cheap generic ink available on ebay (less than $1 a cartridge) which is a big thing for me.

It's not hard really at all, and it's not all that time consuming. It also really fits the way we started homeschooling, back in the day before I knew about all the millions of things available to us.. and it fits my family quite well.

There are some great threads here on the board about homeschooling on the cheap.

That sounds like such a creative and flexible way to homeschool. Love it!

May I say sadly that we are a family of 7 living on 18,000 currently. It is impossible to buy curriculum with this income, but I am selling old stuff, babysitting, doing all I can to get enough to school my 5 kids, high school down to kindergarten. I appreciate what you are saying, but for me this is my priority.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

That is very difficult Michelle...I have to give respect to anyone who doing what is right for their families even though it is so tough...A lot of people would have put their kids in PS, but thanks for sharing just how important homeschooling is...

I haven't really done it the 'set a yearly budget and get everything I need' way yet. We're still in the beginning of our homeschooling so feeling our way through a lot of curriculum. So, I buy a lot, a fair bit second hand when I can. DH and I put schooling as a priority, so he doesn't mind if I spend a small amount per pay check if I need to.

Our curriculum is starting to come together now, and overall it would probably average out to about $100-150 per subject per year, not including music lessons ($200-$250 per term). Hopefully we can pass down non-consumable books through all the children.

If anything, I over-buy at the moment, because if it's a deal then I like to get it to look at... and I'm simply addicted to buying books - living books!

The 2 years we homeschooled before putting her in ps this year, we spent $200-300 a year. We're bringing her back home in the fall and I should be able to get everything for under $400. We just plan on using the income tax refund for homeschool curriculum so we know where the money is coming from for HS stuff. (I know I should prob save the money myself, but I don't, so this works for us. :P)

I have so much respect for those who struggle financially and still homeschool. We do not make much at all, and after seeing how little we see our DD with her going to PS, we know for real now it's much better having us all home together, even if it means continuing to live on a limited income. PS was sure not the magical solution for us. So, next fall I'll have a 3rd grader and a pre-k'er (she will go to preschool 1/2 days then come home for K). Reading this thread and seeing others with limited incomes like ours encourages me to remember what is truly important in life... my kids.

We are a family of 6 and dh makes around $22-24k he worked 2 jobs to have the $$ for pvt school and did it for 1.5 years it make more sense to quit that job take the income down to $22-24k I would not ask him to go get another pt job so we can HS (with a spendy curriculum.) I would go nuts if dh was gone all the time again and I had all 4 kids alone w/ no car all the time. I have a lot of respect for all who are struggling to keep HS'ing. :grouphug: