Along for the ride with DS9 through:

SOTW3, Real Science 4 Kids, Artistic Pursuits, and Prima Latina

Edited by m0mmaBuck

Reading: Ordinary Parents' Guide... and Bob Books

Writing: Explode the Code 1

Math: Singapore K b

Science: Lots of library books :p

History: Library again, we're going to study US History

So... pretty much what we've been doing ;) I plan on finishing up Singapore K and get into 'meatier' books :lol: once Luke gets into more complicated phonics.

For Science, we're just picking up whatever looks good at the library. We've been reading about dinosaurs and almost exhausted their supply. From there, I think we're going to get into weather. We've glanced at seasons, but that's going to be a year long study (we're studying spring right now). Eventually, we'll get into some biology. I'm really hoping to make Science a general overview this year.

what is everyone's k looking like?

Phonics: Phonics Pathways

1 Starfall book and the story sentence strips

Math: MUS Primer

Starfall penmanship

Library book we read together each day.

Reading Practice: Bob Books

Art: Child-sized Masterpieces for

Music we study a different composer each term.

When I'm working with the boys on their schoolwork she gets to do more*starfall. Most of the non-reading stuff is review for her but it keeps her out of my flour haha. :lol:

Edited by nitascool

Math: Saxon

Phonics: Abeka (finished) and now Spell to Write and Read

Galloping the Globe

Interest-led science

Sonlight read alouds (from 3/4, 4/5, and K)

We have had a good K year, I'm sad it's almost over.

Math: RS A, Singapore Essential Math K

Reading: We've been using AAS, but I'm giving Webster's Speller a whirl too. I'll probably throw in some ETC books as well.

Writing: leaning toward Getty-Dubay book A

These are all things we're doing now or will be doing by this fall, but he won't be labeled K until the following fall when he's almost 6. So we're kind of doing a K4/K5 thing.

Math: RS A, Singapore Essential Math K

Reading: We've been using AAS, but I'm giving Webster's Speller a whirl too. I'll probably throw in some ETC books as well.

Writing: leaning toward Getty-Dubay book A

These are all things we're doing now or will be doing by this fall, but he won't be labeled K until the following fall when he's almost 6. So we're kind of doing a K4/K5 thing.

Just fyi, ETC has a lot of writing. If you use those, you may be able to drop your writing program :D

I'm already planning for my 4yo...we might begin next winter/spring. She just started her preK books, and I'm already planning ahead. :lol:

Core subjects: HOD LHFHG

Math: Singapore Essential Mathematics or Earlybird

Phonics: ETC and McGuffey readers

Handwriting: HWT or other

Extras:

R&S workbooks (HOD schedules two of them)

gymnastics

HS co-op

We will be starting K next year:

OPGTR/HOP

Singapore 2/MM/Lentil Get a grip/ Algebraic thinking for K-2

BFSU

Homemade early American History

FLL1/2

an unknown writing program????

Better Chinese/ saturday school

informal Spanish

SSL

seems like a lot, but its really ony 1.5 hours a day

My first year homeschooling two! Not as easy to juggle as I thought.

The Blue Fairy Book

The Green Fairy Book

The Red Fairy Book

Chapter Books: Animal Ark, Rainbow Fairies, Magic Puppy

How to Spell

Growing with Grammar

Story of the World Ancients

Writing with Ease 1

Singapore Math 1A-1B

Misc. Science

Rand McNally Beginning Geography

Nature Study

The Art Book for Children

Julie Andrews Book of Poetry

We are planning to use

WP phonics

and this book: rdy4.gif

I am still undecided on Math. :confused: We will be doing Math Mammoth starting in either first or second. I am thinking McRuffy would help prevent the problems that DD is having but it is expensive :(

Singapore Essentials K is pretty cheap. Luke's learning to measure things (we're almost done with book A). All I have is the workbook, I didn't bother with buying anything else.

For the major academic subjects most people would do:

Reading: Books from the library, no phonics.

Other LA: Writing letters. Occasional discussion of parts of speech. Copywork once a week beginning in the middle of the year.

Math: Math Mammoth blue series. We did Addition 1, Place Value 1, and Subtraction 1. We are now working on Addition & Subtraction 2a, and have done parts of some of the books on time, money, measurement, etc.

Social Studies: do-it-yourself geography/world cultures

Science: various kits, reading about animals and habitats related to our geography studies, documentaries.

We do handwriting as part of our German studies.

I don't really do K, but for the beginning of first grade, I mostly use an assortment of commercial workbooks for whatever the student wants to do, informal projects and a serious reading program for phonics.

Right now, we're using a combo of The Reading Lesson, Hooked On Phonics, Funnix, Progressive Phonics and books. depending on the date and child, to learn how to read.

Unless the student is really, really interested in 'school', its all about reading and writing lessons to begin with. But I'm willing to do almost anything their interested in, if I can find the tools to enable them.

We start easing into math once they are reading on 1st grade level, then we begin math more seriously once they are reading fluently on a 2nd grade level.

I'd like to do something more formal for my first grade in the coming months, but I have no idea what just yet. But hopefully all this lurking and learning will pay off...

I'm about a year and half out from K with Schmooey, but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about it a lot! :D

I loved, loved, LOVED MFW K when I used it with the girls. Sadly, I loaned someone my TM, and it's not looking like I am going to get it back. I have to decide if I want to get another TM used, or... take this opportunity to try something completely different!

If I go another road with him, I will most likely use LBC's foundation year; I have most of the books, would really only need the TM and a couple of other things. I would love to use AAR with him and then perhaps move into Funnix, which I downloaded when they had it free. I sent my OPGTTR to my sister, but I don't think they're using it, so I could always get that back.

I am leaning toward D’Nealian, because it makes such a nice transition into cursive. I know LBC recommends italics, but I don't like italic cursive.

Math is always the great debate around here. I loved the math in MFW K. I have Professor B, and I may just use that. I think I will give that a try and see how it goes, and if it's not working check out something else. I'm probably going to get MM from the HSBC this month so will have that to use also.

Truthfully, I should just use MFW because I have TONS of stuff to go with it. The used TM & new student pages would certainly be the least expensive option. Less fun for me, though. :lol: (Even if we go with MFW for math, I will supplement with Prof. B. After all the math struggles I've had with Emma, I want to get the best foundation possible for Schmooey.)

I'm just chiming in here because I am having SUCH a good time thinking about what I can do with my little man. Thanks for listening to me chatter.

Singapore Essentials K is pretty cheap. Luke's learning to measure things (we're almost done with book A). All I have is the workbook, I didn't bother with buying anything else.
Thanks Julie, the SingaporeMath.com page says this:

There is no separate teacher’s guide, but there is material at the bottom of each page to aid parents and teachers in presenting the concepts.

At the bottom of what page? The textbook? So if I want the whole package I buy the $22.00 textbook and the two $8.80 workbooks?

I went to the McRuffy site and it is on sale, but Singapore is probably a better intro to Math Mammoth I would think. Then I have to decide if I want to use all of my education money on K math and Spanish and maybe not have enough for the 4th grade history I planned for next year. Ugh. I am tired of making decisions, and now I am hi-jacking this thread. Should I start a new one?

Here's what we are doing this year:

Phonics Pathways with lots of little readers (Nora Gaydos, Abeka, etc.)

CLE Math 100 series (started in Nov and doing it three times a week)

A Reason for Handwriting K

AAS 1 (just once or twice a week)

Mindbenders (on occasion)

Tagging along with big brother (3rd) for history/science/art/music/etc.

Phonics: ETC starting with 3, a couple pages a week. We might skip some of the heavy writing. I just want him to get the point.

Reading: OPGTR

Math: Horizons 1

History: Books with a historical slant, possibly starting SOTW in the second half.

Science: I picked up a textbook at the library book sale and I'm going to pick and choose some stuff from that.

Handwriting: I really, really need a handwriting program. Something that focuses on good writing habits - from a fine motor perspective- rather than just how to make letters and words.

Bible: CLP (I think that's the right acronym!) and he will be reading through the Beginner's Bible

There is no separate teacher’s guide, but there is material at the bottom of each page to aid parents and teachers in presenting the concepts.

At the bottom of what page? The textbook? So if I want the whole package I buy the $22.00 textbook and the two $8.80 workbooks?

I went to the McRuffy site and it is on sale, but Singapore is probably a better intro to Math Mammoth I would think. Then I have to decide if I want to use all of my education money on K math and Spanish and maybe not have enough for the 4th grade history I planned for next year. Ugh. I am tired of making decisions, and now I am hi-jacking this thread. Should I start a new one?

The material is at the bottom of the workbook pages. :)

?

I didn't think there was a textbook for the Kindergarten Essentials... Hmmm...

He is 10 1/2 now, but for Kinder we did:

Phonics: Phonics Pathways and then its' sequel Pyramid from Dorbooks.com, this was daily; Explode the Code books A, B, & C about three times a week.

Reading: Hundreds and hundreds of read alouds of all topics, stories, non-fiction, etc.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Kinder level including wooden pieces, clay rope work, small chalk board, and audio CD about three times a week.

Math: Earlybird Math US Edition from SingaporeMath.com about twice a week.

Science: Child Play Science (or something like that title) from SingaporeMath.com once a week. We did a few homemade experiements, he helped care for our many angora rabbits, gardened in the spring, summer, and fall.

Hope this helps.

Here's what we are doing this year:

Phonics Pathways with lots of little readers (Nora Gaydos, Abeka, etc.)

CLE Math 100 series (started in Nov and doing it three times a week)

A Reason for Handwriting K

AAS 1 (just once or twice a week)

Mindbenders (on occasion)

Tagging along with big brother (3rd) for history/science/art/music/etc.

We are doing more of a K4, but we are using:

Reading: Phonics Pathways/Bob Books

Math: Singapore Essential K Book A

Spanish: Salsa Spanish

Then lots of read-alouds from the library or goodwill. I bought Mudpies and Magnets, but it has yet to arrive.

Fall plans for my last K'er :sad:

Hooked on Phonics Reading

Copywork

Latin: Letters, Numbers, Reading, Writing (online)

Religion (online)

Typing

Paths of Exploration (sitting in with sister as he chooses)

Hooked on Phonics 1st & 2nd grade Super Workbooks (Reading, Spelling, Word Games, Puzzles & Mazes, Addition & Subtraction, Time & Money)

Read Alouds

Our K year ends in May and here is what we've been doing:

Bible - Rod & Staff Bible Stories and Coloring (completing this month), then BJU Bible Truths K5

Math - Singapore Math and completed Horizons Math 1

Science - Noeo Chemistry I - we completed Sonlight Sciene K last month

LA - Various readers, BJU Spelling and BJU Phonics/English 1

Handwriting - nothing formal

History - American History with Sonlight materials and other hands on projects and resources I have gathered

We also went through Sonlight P3/4, Lollipop Logic, Peak with Books booklist (3x!!). We also do a lot of read alouds, crafts, music listening.

Edited by MissKNG

DS5 is doing:

*Handwriting without Tears

*Explode the Code

*Singapore 1a

*RFWP's Aesop books

lots of readers (right now he's reading an Usborne early reader about the history of Rome)

*along with his brothers, he's doing SOTW1, Greek Code Cracker, various books and Science in a Nutshell kits for science

*an outside Spanish class

*and, of course, lots of read alouds

What we did for Kindergarten and will be doing again:

My Father's World Kindergarten

The best Kindergarten experience myself and my child have ever had!

She liked it so much she can't wait for her little sister to do it and she wants to teach it to her which is very possible.:001_smile:

Bible: Child's Story Bible (Vos) - almost finished; looking into Kids of Integrity next; working through Children's Catechism

Reading: OPGTTR and BOB; Current read aloud = The Little House on the Prairie

Writing: Universal Publishing workbook mixed with HWT

Math: Saxon 1

Science and History: Interest led read alouds with occasional science exp's

Geography: The Little Man in the Map and The Amazing Pop-up Geography Book - occasionally

Music: Last semester of Kindermusik (glockenspiel and recorder)

Mind Benders: Occasionally

We've already started OPGTR and Singapore Essentials book B.

In August we'll add:

Sonlight P4/5

Horizons Math K and add Singapore Standards 1

HWT and Horizons reading/writing and Abeka little books for review

RSO Earth and Space

IF we get done with OPGTR we'll start a spelling program TBD

SSL CD

Sylvia is in K this year. She's already a proficient reader but I have her doing SL LA K and Readers 1. I honestly don't know why - she's reading the Ramona books for fun and the readers and LA are waaaaay below her. She's also doing Horizons K for math, SL P 4/5, and she's finished her HWT K and 1st grade books. She's doing a ton of K/1st grade workbooks that are left over from Becca because she loves workbooks.

Our plan for next year:

reading: Finish OPG, various readers from the library, maybe start AAS/ETC?

writing: HWT

math: RightStart B

lots of read alouds

...and informally/just for a fun introduction

science: BFSU and garden club/nature study

history: Betsy Maestro and other American history picture books

Spanish: Salsa videos, Jose-Luis Orozco songs, picture books, etc.

memory work: poetry of her choice

Okay, for my little man starting in July:

Phonics Pathways - we will use this for handwriting practice too.

Math Mammoth Level 1

Lots of read alouds if he will sit still for them.

Daily work done while working with the breakfast board: calendar, weather, shapes, colors, spatial reasoning, patterns, sequencing, map\geography skills, etc.

This is probably the extent of this ones attention span. I'm going to give him the option of sitting in while dd8 does Trail Guide to Learning, but I don't expect too much from him in the way of retention.

We've had a great K year. The best advice I can give is to start with a limited number of subjects and then slowly add the others. For us, the big three that we started at the beginning were phonics, math, and history, in addition to lots of read-alouds. As the year went on, we've gradually added more and more. Even though we're technically nearly done, we're about to add in one more formal subject next week--science, which we've been doing informally. This has worked sooo much better than how I did it with my oldest, jumping into everything at once, lol.

What we've actually used:

Language Arts: OPGTR, supplemented with McGuffey's and ETC; First Language Lessons Level 1; Writing With Ease Level 1; Handwriting Without Tears; phonogram cards from dd's AAS; Spelling Workout A

Mathematics: Right Start A, then moved into B; Miquon Orange (after a couple of months); Calculadder drills (in the last month)

History: SOTW 1 & AG

Fine Arts: Classics for Kids podcast, outside classes

Memory Work: IEW's poetry memorization + selections from Living Memory

Science: Let's Read and Find Out books, Magic School Bus books, Nat'l Geographic videos, Thames & Kosmos Little Labs, all informally; we're about to do botany with Incredible Plants, the Plants Little Lab, and more Let's Read & Find Out books plus some of the Rookie Read-About books

Bible: Finish Leading Little Ones to God, then Big Truths for Little Kids (family)

Reading/Spelling: Webster's Speller, maybe I See Sam books if he wants them.

Math: Miquon with MEP R

Handwriting: Cursive from Joy of Handwriting & gross motor skills

Memory: Foundation Verses and LDTPM

Ideas from Kindergarten at Home, family read alouds (mostly from AO lists), picture books from AO 0, FIAR, other good books lists.

K is going well. I am doing a lot more with my son, when my daughter was K, I had an active 2 year old boy who did not nap! (She got the same amount of the 3Rs and the Bible, she just got less science and history, she got them once a week, he does them several times a week.)

What I am using is in my signature. I also just updated his progress with Webster's Speller, he is plodding through it slowly but surely:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208407