Menu

Sigh .... Affiliates. Spammers by another name?

I know I'm inviting a firestorm, but good. grief. Can we talk affiliates?

I love these boards and have been hanging around for years. I've seen programs and posters come and go. But I get so frustrated at hearing those folks with a financial interest in a particular program chime in on every. single. discussion. :banghead: They talk down people ready to jump and coax the fence sitters. And most of the Newbies have no idea they are talking to a sales(wo)man.

I know the line between an experienced user relating her experience with a program and an affiliate promoting a product is a very fine one. I know the mods have a difficult enough time keeping the boards clean without being the 'thought police' . I've just got to post my frustration somewhere, so I hope this is ok. :rant:

Copied directly from the Board Rules:

No advertising

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.

I've got some of those "if you buy through my link I get a dime" on my blog. They have been there for a couple years. I have yet to see a dime.

That said, I know what you mean about pushy sales people. I don't care if they are on the boards or in my local mall or when I buy a car. They can be such PITA.

I just disregard advice by people that sale programs. I also disregard advice from people that seem to think that there are these perfect program, curriculum that work for everyone and anything else is inferior. It would be nice to have disclaimers. I think now being here a year I see how everything comes full circle. What is loved one week is loathed the next. If I was starting this board this year instead of last I would have Singapore math, but I got Rightstart because that was so highly recommended. You have to read multiple reviews, pos and neg, try out when you can and take everything with a huge handful of salt.

99.9% of affiliates love the program due to using it (some have used it successfully with 6 kids!) and made a point of pushing it before they ever became an affiliate.

No advertising

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.

The vast majority of affiliate posts that I see are responses to a thread in which the program is already being discussed, which is not a violation. :confused: Edited by Lovedtodeath

If one suspects (or knows) that a poster is an affiliate, would it help to point this out so that other readers are not sucked into the hype?
If one does not have an affiliate link in their post or their signature then they have no way of making money off of that post anyway.

I would also like for you all to tell me how companies are supposed to get the word out? How?

Do we not want any new curriculum vendors?

Shari, I know this topic has come up on some AAS threads. Could you be more specific about which products have affiliates? (I would just like a heads up as I don't know of any others)

Really, just about any store can have an affiliate program. I know I have one for Amazon, it just isn't linked at my blog at the moment. (No wonder I haven't gotten that dime.) I also have one for Notebooking Pages.

The thing to not do is click the affiliate's link. That way even if you want what the affiliate is selling, the affiliate won't make any money off of the sales pitch.

Also do your research. I don't know of any homeschooling parent that buys curriculum only on the say so of others. I'm sure there are some somewhere, but I don't know them. Knowing your children and what approach works for them saves a lot of money and hassle in the long run. One can always put the hard selling poster on ignore.

If one suspects (or knows) that a poster is an affiliate, would it help to point this out so that other readers are not sucked into the hype?

That is where links in siggy lines are helpful. Such as Lovedtodeath's link to her lulu page. One has the choice of going to Lulu through her link and seeing her stuff or one can go to Lulu via the address bar on one's browser.

Same with my notebooking pages link. One would have to get to my blog then click the notebooking pages link and make a purchase for me to make any money.

A buyer has to click the link of the affiliate and make a purchase or the affiliate gets nothing.

Check the siggy lines of posters that are pushing something over something else. If they don't have the curriculum linked chances are they are not selling it for anyone.

I guess I don't pay that close attention.

If someone is an affiliate (and I am not - for any product) then I assume they have used and love the product enough to represent it. I'm not sure it's necessarily a negative thing to have them chime in on relevant threads.

I understand no advertising, but, as the saying goes, everybody's selling something. :)

I know I'm inviting a firestorm, but good. grief. Can we talk affiliates?

I love these boards and have been hanging around for years. I've seen programs and posters come and go. But I get so frustrated at hearing those folks with a financial interest in a particular program chime in on every. single. discussion. :banghead: They talk down people ready to jump and coax the fence sitters. And most of the Newbies have no idea they are talking to a sales(wo)man.

I know the line between an experienced user relating her experience with a program and an affiliate promoting a product is a very fine one. I know the mods have a difficult enough time keeping the boards clean without being the 'thought police' . I've just got to post my frustration somewhere, so I hope this is ok. :rant:

No advertising

I can sympathize with some frustration that there sometimes seems to be a chorus that a particular product will teach your kids, clean your floors and leave your hair shiny, while another product is going to leave you pulling out your hair, neglecting your home in order to do hours of planning and leave your kids dunces who will live out of their cars as adults.

But on the other hand, I've really appreciated posters who were willing to give copious and detailed responses about how they used this or that program. Often, that was just the information I needed to determine that it wasn't a good match for us.

It is probably human nature to be really excited about resources we've found that seem to make our homeschooling way easier. I know that I've posted often about Sonlight, in the context of how I use it in an excerpted and drawn out way to supplement our WTM style history. And I'm quick to point people to the Handbook of Nature Study and Harmony Art Mom blogs because I've found them wonderfully inspirational, even if I don't use them on a regular basis.

If someone's posting particularly bugs you, I have found the ignore function really helps.

A buyer has to click the link of the affiliate and make a purchase or the affiliate gets nothing.

:iagree: That makes it pretty obvious if someone is an affiliate and you can then judge how to weight their input. I have found most affiliates on the board to be very helpful in answering my endless questions on a topic, questions that otherwise wouldn't get answered. I repay that by using their links. :) I think that is how one can share their knowledge about a product they believe in.

I guess I don't pay that close attention.

If someone is an affiliate (and I am not - for any product) then I assume they have used and love the product enough to represent it. I'm not sure it's necessarily a negative thing to have them chime in on relevant threads.

I understand no advertising, but, as the saying goes, everybody's selling something. :)

:iagree:

Yes, I'm sure this is not always the case, but I'm thinking of Tina's love for Phonics Road:) She was helping us with our many questions before she became an affiliate. I thought it was pretty cool when PR came out with the affiliate program. Next time I order, I can go through Tina's link as a small thanks for all her help.

Shari, I think I know what you mean. I know that several people are reps for companies (don't both IEW and MUS have reps, and don't they have a financial interest when families purchase those products through the reps?). Someone will correct me if I am mistaken, or if a rep and an affiliate are different things.

Most of the responses in this thread are completely different. It's one thing to go to someone's blog, click on their TOG sidebar link and purchase materials.

It's totally different if I am asking a question about curriculum, and another board member replies on the thread, raving about a program in an effort to convince me how wonderful it is--when in reality, she gains a profit if I end up purchasing through her AND there is no disclaimer in her original response. That's just wrong, in my book, and I believe that does directly violate board rules.

These boards are such a friendly place, and it's difficult to be wary when you want to trust what's being written.

I must be totally clueless because I haven't noticed it. I -for one - would like to thank those who do like AAS - though I noticed there were PLENTY of responses indicating that the product would not in fact shine your floors.

Like everything else - your mileage may vary. AAS -( NO I AM NOT AN AFFILIATE!)- was exactly what I personally needed to make sure my other two non-dyslexic but still struggling with spelling kids whose Mom doesn't understand phonics get a good spelling foundation. My oldest's tutor liked the program when I showed it to her as well. Her opinion carried a lot of weight with me and I know she wasn't selling AAS.

I love TOG. I bought it and tried it and could not tweak it enough to work for us at the moment. But I made that decision on my own and not because of any rave reviews by affiliates. MUS is perfect for two of my kids and Singapore is yet another in a long list of things I've tried with my mathy kid. I don't expect any product to work with all three of them. They all have different learning styles and weaknesses and strengths.

Edited to add: I thought MUS got rid of the affiliate program when they went to ordering from them directly? (Though their website is a nightmare to navigate) Don't know about IEW.

Edited by pdalley

It's totally different if I am asking a question about curriculum, and another board member replies on the thread, raving about a program in an effort to convince me how wonderful it is--when in reality, she gains a profit if I end up purchasing through her AND there is no disclaimer in her original response. That's just wrong, in my book, and I believe that does directly violate board rules.

But how on earth is that happening? How does she get credit if you aren't clicking on an affiliate link? If you are clicking on an affiliate link, how does that happen without your knowledge?

:iagree: That makes it pretty obvious if someone is an affiliate and you can then judge how to weight their input. I have found most affiliates on the board to be very helpful in answering my endless questions on a topic, questions that otherwise wouldn't get answered. I repay that by using their links. :) I think that is how one can share their knowledge about a product they believe in.

:iagree: I've "repaid" people like Tina, who have answered my many, many questions. I know she talks about PR because she loves it. I talk about PR because I love it (I'm not an affiliate). There are certainly other good programs and PR isn't for everybody, but PR has met our homeschool's needs so well that I don't feel a need to look elsewhere anymore. :)

I think the sales pitches tend to be fairly obvious....

How exactly are you purchasing through the affiliate without knowing you are doing so?

I can see how that might happen if someone posts what a reader thinks is a link to a curriculum website, but in reality it is a link to the curriculum website through the affiliate's link.

Yeah, I agree that is dishonest if no disclaimer is given. I also don't know how one would be able to tell the difference.

On the other hand if one is clicking links in someone's siggy or through someone's blog, one should expect that the siggy or blog is linked for one specific reason or another.

The thing is for a lot of people, myself included, all we have to go off of is the reviews and thoughts of others. I have no way of seeing curriculum in person- most everyone around here uses things I am not interested in ie mostly Abeka. All we can do is read and re-read reviews and assessment, try to evaluate our kids and ourselves and hope for the best. I think it should be required to list affliate status and personally, I don't appreciate the posts that seem to try to guilt someone into using one program or another. As that any one thing will make or break one's homeschooling experience.

I don't think affiliate programs pay enough to get your panties in a wad over. There is no way that Tina, for example, is making enough to pull even with the sheer amount of time she spends patiently answering questions.

:chillpill:

I don't think affiliate programs pay enough to get your panties in a wad over. There is no way that Tina, for example, is making enough to pull even with the sheer amount of time she spends patiently answering questions.

:chillpill:

:iagree:From what I understand, she is only getting a discount for future purchases of PR.

To me it is a violation of the advertising rules.

I do think people should state that they are affiliates if they are recommending something otherwise I don't think it is ethical.

I don't know how all the HS affiliates work but I do know there are affiliates that just require one to post about the product then they link everywhere they have recommended it back to the company.

Edited by Sis

To me it is a violation of the advertising rules.

I do think people should state that they are affiliates if they are recommending something otherwise I don't think it is ethical..

So if you happen to be an affiliate and recommend something then it is unethical. But if you recommended the same thing before becoming an affiliate, it is ethical? That does not even make sense.

But... if they don't post a link, then their recommendation can't be tracked... if there IS a link, then it's pretty obvious they're affiliates. Even if the link name doesn't state it, the URL would have a referral number, rather than be a direct link.

For example, if I say, "Hey, I've heard that Career Step is good for learning medical transcription," then you can see by either clicking or hovering over the link (look to the bottom of your screen for that) that it's a basic URL.

However, if I post my referral link (which I've never done here before and haven't been with them long enough to even recommend them) and say the same, "Hey, I've heard that Career Step is good," then you can click or hover and SEE that there's a referral number and that I'm obviously associated in some way. (Like I said, I'm not trying to get anyone to go there, I'm just using my ref. link as an example. I've only just started!)

If there's no link at ALL, then there's no possible way that the person is trying to earn even a small amount of money, because there's no way to track it.

No, it is unethical to recommend something without disclosing your financial interest in the company.

I agree.

And the forum rules add another layer. According to the forum rules, quoted above, you may answer questions about the product, but you may not bring it up in a thread in which it has not yet been discussed.

I consider this fair. These forums should not be used for advertising, even if it is informal, well-intentioned advertising.

So if you happen to be an affiliate and recommend something then it is unethical. But if you recommended the same thing before becoming an affiliate, it is ethical? That does not even make sense.

No, that doesn't make sense but I didn't say that. Did you mean to quote my post?

I didn't say anything about recommending something while not being an affiliate, I only said it was unethical to recommend something WHILE being an affiliate.

But... if they don't post a link, then their recommendation can't be tracked... if there IS a link, then it's pretty obvious they're affiliates. Even if the link name doesn't state it, the URL would have a referral number, rather than be a direct link.

If there is no link their recommendations can still be tracked by them sending that information to the company. It isn't always apparent.

Perhaps we should go with full disclosure. Due to my amazon store link I made $1.30 last year. :D

My lulu page makes me an average of $20 per year.

Well, AAS has a much better deal for affiliates-

(from AAS website):

Yes! ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the great part! Every time a customer comes through your link, you receive 15% of the sale. (As a comparison, Amazon pays 4% for each referral.) With an average sale of $87, you stand to earn $13 per sale.

In our test program, one mom has referred 13 customers to us so far, and her check was $159 for one month. The people she referred to us are happy, because they found a spelling solution that WORKS, and she is happy because she is getting paid for doing something she would have done anyway.

How does it work?

It is very simple. Join the team and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get your own link.

Then the fun part starts. Just start talking about All About Spelling!

Keep it real. Talk about how All About Spelling works in YOUR family, with YOUR kids. If you are a classroom teacher, talk about the success stories you have had. If you are part of a homeschool group, share what you know.

Blog about your experiences, or share with your Yahoo groups. Tell people online and offline the details of how you use All About Spelling. When someone comes through your special url, our system KNOWS to credit your account with any sales that result.

What if someone is just looking now, and doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t buy for a week, a month, or even a year? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re covered! No matter when they come back to purchase, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive credit for the sale. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using the TOP technology available to track this all.

We want you to benefit from this.

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll work closely with you to help you be successful. As a team member, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive our exclusive newsletter, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Making Money with All About SpellingĂ¢â‚¬ with tips on how to make money on and offline. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll feature one team member a month so you can learn from them. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive advanced notice of All About Spelling news and be part of the Ă¢â‚¬Å“inside circleĂ¢â‚¬ of new developments.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Well, AAS has a much better deal for affiliates-

(from AAS website):

Yes! ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the great part! Every time a customer comes through your link, you receive 15% of the sale. (As a comparison, Amazon pays 4% for each referral.) With an average sale of $87, you stand to earn $13 per sale.

In our test program, one mom has referred 13 customers to us so far, and her check was $159 for one month. The people she referred to us are happy, because they found a spelling solution that WORKS, and she is happy because she is getting paid for doing something she would have done anyway.

How does it work?

It is very simple. Join the team and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get your own link.

Then the fun part starts. Just start talking about All About Spelling!

Keep it real. Talk about how All About Spelling works in YOUR family, with YOUR kids. If you are a classroom teacher, talk about the success stories you have had. If you are part of a homeschool group, share what you know.

Blog about your experiences, or share with your Yahoo groups. Tell people online and offline the details of how you use All About Spelling. When someone comes through your special url, our system KNOWS to credit your account with any sales that result.

What if someone is just looking now, and doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t buy for a week, a month, or even a year? YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re covered! No matter when they come back to purchase, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive credit for the sale. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using the TOP technology available to track this all.

We want you to benefit from this.

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll work closely with you to help you be successful. As a team member, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive our exclusive newsletter, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Making Money with All About SpellingĂ¢â‚¬ with tips on how to make money on and offline. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll feature one team member a month so you can learn from them. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll receive advanced notice of All About Spelling news and be part of the Ă¢â‚¬Å“inside circleĂ¢â‚¬ of new developments.

Wow.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I agree that AAS is not as pushy as Amway, but IMO the tactics are still aggressive and obnoxious.

What other homeschool curriculum companies hire affiliates? I only know of these:

All About Spelling

Tapestry of Grace

Time 4 Learning

Perhaps we should go with full disclosure. Due to my amazon store link I made $1.30 last year. :D

My lulu page makes me an average of $20 per year.

I am currently on TOS review crew for the year. This is ending soon. I don't recall posting about anything concerning the products I have reviewed to date. I get product to review but I have never gotten any money. Full disclaimer on my blog and on every review on my blog.

Oh yeah, I do occasionally write articles for HOTM and I used to be an Usborne consultant who made a grand total of $5 commission 6 months ago.. Other than that I'm just a curriculum junkie who likes to read about how others use a product to help me understand how to tweak it for my guys.

I'll be adding the above to my signature line but I have a sinking feeling I'll be labeled an affiliate because I generally love something or hate it.:tongue_smilie:

Edited to add: Mary Kay is the worst high pressuring MLM I have ever run into. I am not a natural salesperson so I would not want to be an affiliate of any company.

By giving sample copies of products to bloggers and other companies so that they can write reviews. A little creativity, maybe? Certainly not by advertising on forums where they've been asked NOT to advertise. I think that homeschool curriculum sellers like Rainbow Resource Center and magazines like The Old Schoolhouse do a very good job of offering information and reviews on smaller companies and home-grown products. I, personally, would like to know of companies that are telling their affiliates (or whoever) to go out and advertise on another person's forums regardless of their rules--so that I can avoid them. A business needs to figure out their marketing at their OWN expense.

Most of the responses in this thread are completely different. It's one thing to go to someone's blog, click on their TOG sidebar link and purchase materials.

These boards are such a friendly place, and it's difficult to be wary when you want to trust what's being written.

Yes. This is exactly what I mean.

And I had no idea AAS was that aggressive in its marketing. :001_huh:

I understand your concern and agree. If a person shares insight from their own experience it has a lot more weight with me than a simple endorsement. It may not always be easy to detect the difference though, so I think we just have to carefully check out the recommendations we get here, follow our instincts and do the best we can.

Just for the record, I am an affiliate for one company because I wanted to put the cool button on my blog. I never make money, and that's fine with me. I'll advertise for free because I value the product they sell and don't mind letting others know. It would be fun to get paid, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I guess I don't see how the affiliate program with AAS is that aggressive. They even say to just talk about how it works for your family and children. AAS also has a very good return policy. (Disclosure: I am not an affliate for AAS or any other home school curriculum.) Maybe it's because of the work I've done in the past, but I don't see any harm in affiliates talking about programs they love. I agree with those that say that unless a person has a link to purchase from, they won't benefit from their affiliation. As for ethics, as long as the person isn't lying or stretching the truth, I think it is ethical. I personally just haven't seen anyone blatantly advertise a homeschool curriculum to profit from it. And the affliates that I do know on this board, always go above and beyond answering various questions. Their passion is evident in their posts and it's obviously not about money or discounts.

For the record, I do not receive a commission from Analytical Grammar, MUS, Science in a Nutshell, Spelling Workout, SOTW or any of the other programs I regularly pimp. :D

eta: Neither do a receive a commission from Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

For the record, I do not receive a commission from Analytical Grammar, MUS, Science in a Nutshell, Spelling Workout, SOTW or any of the other programs I regularly pimp. :D

:lol:

If Mike's decides to launch an affiliate program please PM me. :D

By giving sample copies of products to bloggers and other companies so that they can write reviews. A little creativity, maybe? Certainly not by advertising on forums where they've been asked NOT to advertise. I think that homeschool curriculum sellers like Rainbow Resource Center and magazines like The Old Schoolhouse do a very good job of offering information and reviews on smaller companies and home-grown products. I, personally, would like to know of companies that are telling their affiliates (or whoever) to go out and advertise on another person's forums regardless of their rules--so that I can avoid them. A business needs to figure out their marketing at their OWN expense.
Thank you for responding with a well thought out answer.

I guess I don't see how the affiliate program with AAS is that aggressive. They even say to just talk about how it works for your family and children. AAS also has a very good return policy. (Disclosure: I am not an affliate for AAS or any other home school curriculum.) Maybe it's because of the work I've done in the past, but I don't see any harm in affiliates talking about programs they love. I agree with those that say that unless a person has a link to purchase from, they won't benefit from their affiliation. As for ethics, as long as the person isn't lying or stretching the truth, I think it is ethical. I personally just haven't seen anyone blatantly advertise a homeschool curriculum to profit from it. And the affliates that I do know on this board, always go above and beyond answering various questions. Their passion is evident in their posts and it's obviously not about money or discounts.

:iagree:

I guess for myself, I'm not going to buy a product based on just "this is a great product!". I come to this board to get DETAILS about the product, how it is used, how it works, what the philosophy is, etc. So, if the affiliate or WHOEVER provides that information truthfully, then that information is useful to me.

I am the one who makes the decision. So if they get a dime or something because they helped me with more information, that's fine with me. I guess I am naive enough to think that at least the type of people on this board, wouldn't be affiliated with something they thought was NOT a good thing, at least for them.

:lol::lol: