Menu

Feeling Like a Real Loser of a Parent/Educator

I'm going to write the director of financial aid and admissions tomorrow. Who knows, it's worth a shot.~

I think writing the director of financial aid is a good idea, but the letter should come from your daughter, not you. It will carry more impact that way.

Before you write, you all (you, dd, dh) need to talk about what you *can* afford, making sure to include summer job, *some* loans, work-study during the school year, and so on. They are going to take you more seriously if you have some numbers to work with. Expecting no loans, for you or for the student, to be part of the package is unrealistic.

And again - consider the typical starting salary for a graduate with the education she is planning to get. If it's 60K, that's a whole lot different in terms of the debt she can/should take on than if it's 20K.

In the meantime, explore lower-cost schools NOW, when you may still have a chance to apply. (Though I'm guessing most application deadlines are well past.) If she can't apply for the fall of 2011, then try for spring of 2012.

Colleges are for profit organizations. They can't offer everyone a free ride or substantially cheaper rate (although, don't get me started on the rides given to athletes ;):glare:).

Actually, most colleges are non-profit. The for-profit colleges are the ones advertising on TV (except during football games.) There has been a big hullaballoo about those for-profit colleges because they typically have the highest default rate on student loans.

That sounds like a pretty typical package for a good student that the college wants. It's not anything you did. That's just how things are.

You might get the idea from reading these boards that most bright students go to college for free. I suspect we're mostly hearing from those families that lucked out in the lottery. (There are other stories sandwiched in between, but the families aren't so ecstatic and so don't catch so much attention.)

But if you truly have additional financial issues, you can talk to the fin aid office. Some schools are really willing to work with families -- and quite willing to talk to the parents. It's not absolutely necessary for your daughter to do all the communication. In fact, it might be best to have the parents involved as they will come across as knowing more about the finances.

But the fact is that most colleges are now expecting most students to acquire at least some debt. It's how the game works. Just saying you don't want her to have any debt is probably not going to get you too far.

This is why my daughter's at the college she's currently at. There was another one she might have preferred, but we get an employee discount at the one she's at and that pretty much made the decision. (And lest anyone feel like WE got such a great deal, keep in mind that my husband's salary is below what he could probably get elsewhere. This is just one of those benefits they have at this place to keep their faculty around despite the low salaries. And why is his salary low? In part, in hopes of keeping the tuition lower...)

You are, Ginger. I can't imagine how heartbreaking this must be for all of you. You've had great suggestions about contacting the school. You know God has a plan for Lindsey and that, whatever happens, she'll look back on this later and see His bigger picture. I'm praying for your family.:grouphug:

Agree. I totally understand that you feel like you failed her, but you didn't ... at all. I anticipate that you'll be able to look back at this and see how God was using it to get her to exactly the right place for what He wants to do in her life and through her life.

I wanted to stop by and thank you all again for your heartfelt replies. I was able to get a better-than-normal night's sleep, and woke up feeling refreshed and positive. I got up and visited with my dh, who is taking this all as his personal defeat. So, I shared all the wise words that you had shared with me, and his mood lifted 100%. I appreciated that the wisdom here was on both ends of the seesaw and in the middle, too, and I had confirmation that ALL things are possible with God. Thanks so very much for your encouragements! I will help dd draft a nice letter to the top choice, and also start applying quickly at some new ones. I love this board! Thank you!

She can also do cc for a year or two and work and save $$.

I want to comment on the CC issue. It is actually often much harder for a student to transfer into a private college after completing a couple years at a community college than to get in as a freshman, and there are often far fewer merit scholarships available. CC may save money the first couple years, but it may also means forfeiting many scholarships and help the last couple of years. CC is not an answer for everyone, especially someone who plans to go into academia or a scientific field or medicine where the name of the University they graduate from WILL make a difference in future education and earning opportunities.

I don't understand what's wrong with cc. She will get more 1:1 attention, a much better educational value, esp when you consider that the profs there generally prefer teaching (as opposed to ego-pushing like one might see at bigger schools).

My sis & I started at cc's; I earned a 50% scholarship to my #1 choice university based on my classes at the cc; sis earned 100%, iirc. We both went on to grad school, where she earned another scholarship plus whatever it's called when you teach the classes--I forget. I already had kids, but I graduated w/ a 3.9 gpa.

It's really possible that I'm speaking from a place of total naivety: sis & I were the first in our family to graduate from college at all. Maybe the path we took shows that. But I really don't see the argument for student loans--not for $10-15k/year, unless somehow the degree is going to mean a really great job. These days, a BA rarely means that. And being strapped w/ that much debt can have significant ramifications for her future choices w/ regard to children vs. career. (Not that she should choose one or the other, just that debt is a sad reason to be forced into a choice one would not make independently.)

:grouphug::grouphug: It's hard not receiving the news hoped for. It sounds like you daughter has a LOT going for her, a great future ahead of her and there are many options for schooling and funding. You did good, mom. Don't beat yourself up, just pick up and work out some new plans.

I wish you and your precious daughter the best. :grouphug:

Dear {{{{Ginger,}}}}

I know so very well what you and your family are going through, as we faced this last year with dd. She ended up going to what would have been her third choice school, but she is absolutely loving it--studying hard, playing hard, and *working* hard. In a couple of weeks she'll be home for spring break, and I'm betting she'll sleep for 3 days solid. :)

Your dd's merit aid is phenomenal--losers, my eye! Oh, big congrats to you both!!! :hurray::hurray:

I want to offer you a bit different perspective on it, but still in line with most of what the others have posted. You are now in the bottom of the ninth; the game is NOT over yet. Dd needs to gather all her facts and then call her favorite school, and perhaps the others as well, and lay out the way things stand from your family's POV and from the perspective of what she envisions for herself, i.e., what her potential is for earning an income that would allow her to pay off student debt. Then ask what they can do to help her. She should also ask if there is potential for additional departmental scholarships as she get into her upperclass work.

They might request further documentation of finances, and it might take them a few days to come back with a package, but give them a chance. One of dd's choices was able to come up with another 3K--that's a lot of hours working at min. wage.

It might be helpful if she and you or dh put together a spreadsheet of costs this weekend before she calls, so she has a good idea of what her total costs would be at the end of 4 years, and what her debt is going to look like. Know that most schools promise a fixed amount for 4 years, but tuition rises. Stub in estimated income as well, but in some areas of the country, it is really hard for students to get full-time summer work. YMMV. Do several scenarios with and without RA or work/study income, if she's interested in those options.

Then when you all hear back from the schools with their final packages, she (in consultation w/ mom and dad) can make a good decision.

Finally, from experience, the best place to be in the bottom of the ninth is on your knees.

Sending big hugs!

Val

:iagree:

I will also add that I ended up at my 2nd choice school due to finances many moons ago and met hubby there as well as got a fantastic education. I later figured out this WAS God's plan for me.

My boys know they can apply anywhere, but finances are a big figure in where they can actually go. My oldest got his first choice (and has $5,000 per year in loans that we are absolutely ok with considering he's getting a double degree out of it). We'll see what happens with middle and youngest in the next few years.

Books can be significantly less bought online than at the bookstore. We've paid about 1/3rd the overall cost (including postage). Use Dealoz to find the best options - plug in ISBN numbers to be certain you're getting the correct book.

And yes, consider checking with the colleges again to see if there are any other options. Or consider having her get a job (one year deferred or during college). Both myself and my oldest son worked on campus during our school years (oldest is working). I never found it to be a problem nor does he. He absolutely loves his job (AV). Mine was in the dining hall - ho hum - but the money is good.

Check in your local high school guidance office for a local scholarship list. My oldest applied to a few from there and won a NICE one that has helped us out significantly. He also lost a couple others, but at least he tried. He won a smaller one from his youth group - are there any available from work or youth groups or even banks?

IMO some college debt is worth the degree, but not tons.

In the end, make your best judgment based on all the factors, then realize that God IS working through this all to work out the choice in HIS plan.

And congrats on the merit offers. You've (both) done well! As my quoted post suggests, it's just not over yet.

Actually, most colleges are non-profit. The for-profit colleges are the ones advertising on TV (except during football games.) There has been a big hullaballoo about those for-profit colleges because they typically have the highest default rate on student loans.

Not all "for profits" are expensive. And many are regionally accredited, by the same accrediting boards that accredit the brick and mortar schools. I attend American Public University. It is regionally accredited. Tuition and books for a 4 year degree is about $30,000 (ds attends a b&m, 4 years tuition/books is about $28,000). The big difference is scholarships, most non-profits don't offer internal scholarships but you can apply outside scholarships, as I do. Others are more expensive, like Capella, where my husband attends for his masters. Thankfully, his company is paying for that :001_smile:.

If she ends up deferring, she may want to spend some of that time studying for the AP/Clep tests. She may have to wait and take them after she starts college, as accumulating credit after she graduates from high school may make her ineligible to enter as a freshman and get those scholarships. However, she may be able to graduate in three years that way and save some money.

I've never heard of AP credit causing someone not to be counted as a freshman.

What is important, though, is whether the college accepts AP credits (some private ones do not) and what score is needed to qualify for the credit. The APs are all given in May.

I do not think that colleges allow AP testing while in college, but I could be wrong about that. I've never heard of it, though.

I don't understand what's wrong with cc. She will get more 1:1 attention, a much better educational value, esp when you consider that the profs there generally prefer teaching (as opposed to ego-pushing like one might see at bigger schools).

It really depends on the quality of the cc. That varies greatly by region. Around here, you wouldn't get what you needed to be prepared for the second two years. And many 4 year schools do not offer scholarships to transfer students, so the cost savings are diminished.

To get a better view of CC vs other schools, it's worth it to read this thread from the high school board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219694

In some cases, perhaps many, CC is a viable option, but in others, it most definitely is not. One needs to know their own goals, plans, needs (or whatever). For middle son who is looking to go to med school, starting at CC would be a knock against him, especially if he took his pre-req science courses there. For a student who needs "a" degree for a job or other less competitive majors, CC could be perfect. It's good to be aware of the differences. There definitely IS a difference more than the cost involved.

Then note that not all CC's offer the same level of education. Some are good. Some are less so. (This goes for 4 year schools too.)

I've never heard of AP credit causing someone not to be counted as a freshman.

What is important, though, is whether the college accepts AP credits (some private ones do not) and what score is needed to qualify for the credit. The APs are all given in May.

I do not think that colleges allow AP testing while in college, but I could be wrong about that. I've never heard of it, though.

It is not AP credit that causes one to not be considered a freshman. That would be dual enrollment credits. There is a difference. And yes, dual enrollment credits that your college of choice actually acknowledge and awards college credit for need to be carefully monitored. It *is* true that *those* can knock you out of the running for many grants and scholarships awarded for "Freshmen only". If you read carefully, you can usually find info on whether there are a few *grace* credits allowed...or not.

Edited by MSPolly

:grouphug: I missed the thread yesterday, but wanted to send some cyber hugs and prayers your way.

I wanted to stop by and thank you all again for your heartfelt replies. I was able to get a better-than-normal night's sleep, and woke up feeling refreshed and positive. I got up and visited with my dh, who is taking this all as his personal defeat. So, I shared all the wise words that you had shared with me, and his mood lifted 100%. I appreciated that the wisdom here was on both ends of the seesaw and in the middle, too, and I had confirmation that ALL things are possible with God. Thanks so very much for your encouragements! I will help dd draft a nice letter to the top choice, and also start applying quickly at some new ones. I love this board! Thank you!

To get a better view of CC vs other schools, it's worth it to read this thread from the high school board.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219694

In some cases, perhaps many, CC is a viable option, but in others, it most definitely is not. One needs to know their own goals, plans, needs (or whatever). For middle son who is looking to go to med school, starting at CC would be a knock against him, especially if he took his pre-req science courses there. For a student who needs "a" degree for a job or other less competitive majors, CC could be perfect. It's good to be aware of the differences. There definitely IS a difference more than the cost involved.

Then note that not all CC's offer the same level of education. Some are good. Some are less so. (This goes for 4 year schools too.)

Wow--thank you for responding to me so gently. And for responding at all. I know I know more about the college process than my parents did, but I had no idea there was so much I didn't know.

OP, I hope I didn't sound insensitive--my intent was really encouragement. I hope you guys figure out a good route for your dd. :grouphug:

Oh, there is crying in our home tonight. We've broken our dd17's heart. She is the most amazing kid you could imagine, just so smart and talented and fun. We've had her apply at the 3 private colleges that were near enough to commute to, despite their cost. We thought we were walking in faith. After all, we thought, they would give more aid than state schools. Wrong. After sending in beautiful admissions packages, attending stressful scholarship competitions, and waiting endless months, the offers are finally here. All 3 were about the same...around $25,000 in merit aid, and the other $10-15,000 in loans. Annually. We are heartbroken. She has worn the sweatshirt of her top choice all winter, and has totally bonded with the place. I hear her upstairs crying. We are to blame, for being so naive. For being so prideful. It hurts so very badly to break her heart like this, but we can't afford to have her saddled with tons of debt after graduation, not to mention the monthly payment plans of over a thousand a month for us! Goodness. I am just so sad I can't even speak to dh, who is now working off his extreme grief on the treadmill. I hate this. We've wasted so much time! I feel like we've let her down, that our homeschool just couldn't compare with other students and their accomplishments, and her only option is to go to a local community college that we haven't even investigated.

Ginger,

:grouphug:

Was there one "full-ride" scholarship she was trying for? I can see being disappointed if that is the case. But what she earned is nothing to sneeze at!

You'll all be in my prayers!

:grouphug:

DH left school (BS degree) with $35,000 in loans. It is manageable - we make the payments like it's another morttage. :)

Has she thought about going to a JR College for the first two years and then transferring to the private school? Much cheaper......

ETA - He also worked full time while going to school. I personally think he got a lot more out of his degree by being extrodinarily motivated to gt done fast and get good grades. Very few of us actually had the wonderful, residential, four year, no job excperience at a 4 year school. It's over-rated.

Edited by SailorMom

If she can somehow combine summer courses at CC, AP credit and a heavy course load for at least part of the time she's there, and maybe defer entry for a semester, can she get out of college in 3 years? That might decrease her eventual debt load by 25%. That would not be the most fun way to do college, of course, but I could see it working in just the right circumstances.

Another alternative might be the opposite: take a lighter class load during the school year so that she can work more hours, and make up the difference in the summer with a CC class or two at home. She could still get out in 4 years and have some work experience to boot.

I hope you all are able to find something that works for all of you. I agree with everyone who has said HS likely isn't the culprit here. College is just crazy expensive, and you all are to be commended for the acceptances and offers that she has received.

Terri

Wow--thank you for responding to me so gently. And for responding at all. I know I know more about the college process than my parents did, but I had no idea there was so much I didn't know.

I've learned so much about colleges that I didn't know just by researching for my guys. I'm continually learning (since they don't want to pursue the same things and make it easier for me!).

If there's one conclusion I've come to, it's that there's no ONE "right" path for everyone, but there can be "wrong" paths for anyone. A degree without value can leave many in debt (no jobs from it, etc). Finding the degree that's worth its value takes research, planning and an openness to many options - plus the studying.

There are places I won't let my boys go and it's not due to meanness or other factors like that. It's because we want value for our $$ in a path that's right for them to have their best experience and education possible.

I'm REALLY glad so many share on here. It helps me glean info for my research. ;)

First of all, congratulations to your daughter (and to you/dh) on her acceptances and scholarships! $25,000 merit scholarships are amazingly rare. She is to be commended for her very hard work :)

I know how disappointed you feel. We went through the financial discussion with ds last summer before he finalized his college list. Some schools he liked didn't give any merit-based aid at all. Others maxed their merit aid awards at $20,000-----out of costs of attendance of $52,000 :eek: We can't afford to pay that much and do not wish ds to carry a loan burden for undergraduate, as he is looking at either graduate or law school in the future.

After you, dh and dd go through all your finances together with the schools' offers (Can she work? How much might books truly cost on the used market? Are there various meal plan options available? Are there lower cost dorms? {If there are choices, schools average the costs of room and board}How would she get to/from campus?), I suggest that dd call all the schools to see what could be done.

I do know many colleges/universities offer additional scholarships, departmental and otherwise, once a student has accepted the school's offer. Perhaps your dd's schools might do the same.

I think you're doing the right thing, Mom. I was really swept up into the whole romantic notion of college and what fun it would be. My parents refinanced their house so I could go without getting loans. But in retrospect, I sometimes regret that I goaded my folks into doing that.

Fast forward twenty years, and colleges have gotten even more expensive, because of all the loans. It's as if the system is structured now to ensure that kids can't go to college without going into life-altering debt. With the glut of college grads, it's no longer a certainty that a college degree will enable the graduate to get a job good enough to pay off all that debt.

It's so, so hard when these things happen, but I hope you stick to your guns and find less-expensive options for her. She will thank you later, when she has more perspective. But in the meantime, give her lots of hugs and let her know how crushed you are, too.

Our dd's first choice is a private Christian school in MA. Although they've offered a similar package to our dd as what you have been offered for yours, it's still out of the park. I called today and had a great conversation with dd's admission's counselor about potentially deferring for a year (so dd can go with us to Malaysia if we go) and about finances. She was very encouraging about our desire to NOT saddle our dd with debt and was very interested in talking about creative financing - primarily work/study. She was not in the office when we talked, so we're going to talk again tomorrow. I'll be interested to see what she says and will let you know. Do keep us posted on how things progress!

Congratulations to your daughter on receiving such great merit scholarships! I hope she is able to make something work out or find an alternative path that will work for her. I Know the debt thing is a tricky issue. If she is planning to work in a good paying job for many years after graduation, the debt could be manageable. If she's only going for the experience, not sure what she plans to do yet... that makes it a tough decision.

I mentioned your story to my husband on the phone this afternoon; we agreed that if our sons get into their top choices with $25k scholarships, we'll be leaping for joy. JOY!!

May I make a suggestion? Your daughter should pick up the phone or write that letter. A sales pitch from a parent is not as effective as a sales pitch from the student herself.

At this point in the process, many schools will wheel and deal. She can explain family circumstances. She can tell them her plans for summer employment. Are they providing work study? If not, she needs to ask for it.

Good luck to her.

I agree. It is much better for your daughter to advocate for herself, and shows the school a level of commitment and maturity that might make them look again.

It is not AP credit that causes one to not be considered a freshman. That would be dual enrollment credits. There is a difference. And yes, dual enrollment credits that your college of choice actually acknowledge and awards college credit for need to be carefully monitored. It *is* true that *those* can knock you out of the running for many grants and scholarships awarded for "Freshmen only". If you read carefully, you can usually find info on whether there are a few *grace* credits allowed...or not.

I am guessing that really depends on the college? Granted, it's been 15 years, but during high school, I took math, English, and social studies courses at a local state school. They fulfilled my high school requirements for those courses and earned me well over a year's worth of college credits. My university entered me right after high school and gave me freshman scholarships and such but also granted me sophomore status, which gave me priority over other freshmen when it came to scheduling courses, choosing rooms, etc. (And getting football tickets, LOL.) I don't know if it was because the college where I got the credits was similar in size, etc. to my college, or if it was because I applied as a freshman and not a transfer student, or what. I think you'd really have to talk to the school.

You know, something similar happened to me way back when. I applied, and got into one college (a top 10 school). In fact, back then it was early admission, I didn't even bother to apply anywhere else. Then, similar story, the financial aid package came in and it was NOTHING. To make matters even worse, my father's business had just failed and money was incredibly tight. It was obvious that there was going to be no way to afford it.

I was really sad. My parents didn't say no, but it was clear what a horrible position I would put them and myself into. So, I got on the phone, called the one school that had made a personal contact with me, and they had even called me when they didn't receive my application. I called the admission person I was in touch with, she accepted me over the phone and then found a smallish sum of financial aid.

No, it was not a top 10 school. I had a wonderful education, nevertheless-- probably not as good as the original school. However, for graduate school, I then went on to a top 10 school and earned my Ph.D (full stipend the whole way).

So, I guess my point is, although today seems heartbreaking and bleak, the future is not written on a single college. The merit of the student will transcend the college.

My wishes for ease in grieving and imagining a new future.

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Today dd went to work with dh as is her routine. She works as an intern with the city newspaper on Thursday afternoons, and spends the morning reading or writing on her computer at dh's downtown office. I ran out of time this morning so I didn't pack their lunches, so he decided to treat her to a hamburger at a tiny, inconspicuous cafe near his work. That meal turned out to be quite an interesting experience! They walked in and saw 3 men at one of the few tables, having a spirited discussion about politics and school administration costs. Dh and dd took a nearby table and ordered their hamburgers, and somehow got themselves involved in the men's conversation. ;) They spent quite a long time talking to dd very personally, asking her all sorts of questions about her interests, college plans, and seemed sincerely interested in her. Dh talked with them about the expense of private colleges and one of the men jumped on that topic and asked dd if she had considered the city's community college! Then he spent 10 minutes sharing all sorts of details about it, how fantastic and approachable the teachers were, how they have special relations with all the universities in the state and guarantee their course credits transfer, their honors program, etc. Then when dd was absolutely beside herself with the excitement of the moment, he introduced himself as the MAYOR of the city!! After their hour together, he and one man left, but one well dressed gentleman stayed and moved from his table to join dh and dd at their table! They continued talking very personally, about his favorite authors, favorite writing techniques, it was amazing. Before he left, he asked for dh's name again, and where he worked downtown...so we see this as a direct and specific divine appointment to encourage them both, and give them hope and a tangible reminder that the Lord is indeed concerned with us and our little lives. :) I can't fully describe the difference in dd tonight. She is just beaming with a happy heart!!! Just had to share with you all my big praise the Lord moment!! So, He is still in control, and we're moving forward.

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Today dd went to work with dh as is her routine. She works as an intern with the city newspaper on Thursday afternoons, and spends the morning reading or writing on her computer at dh's downtown office. I ran out of time this morning so I didn't pack their lunches, so he decided to treat her to a hamburger at a tiny, inconspicuous cafe near his work. That meal turned out to be quite an interesting experience! They walked in and saw 3 men at one of the few tables, having a spirited discussion about politics and school administration costs. Dh and dd took a nearby table and ordered their hamburgers, and somehow got themselves involved in the men's conversation. ;) They spent quite a long time talking to dd very personally, asking her all sorts of questions about her interests, college plans, and seemed sincerely interested in her. Dh talked with them about the expense of private colleges and one of the men jumped on that topic and asked dd if she had considered the city's community college! Then he spent 10 minutes sharing all sorts of details about it, how fantastic and approachable the teachers were, how they have special relations with all the universities in the state and guarantee their course credits transfer, their honors program, etc. Then when dd was absolutely beside herself with the excitement of the moment, he introduced himself as the MAYOR of the city!! After their hour together, he and one man left, but one well dressed gentleman stayed and moved from his table to join dh and dd at their table! They continued talking very personally, about his favorite authors, favorite writing techniques, it was amazing. Before he left, he asked for dh's name again, and where he worked downtown...so we see this as a direct and specific divine appointment to encourage them both, and give them hope and a tangible reminder that the Lord is indeed concerned with us and our little lives. :) I can't fully describe the difference in dd tonight. She is just beaming with a happy heart!!! Just had to share with you all my big praise the Lord moment!! So, He is still in control, and we're moving forward.

*jaw drop* What are the chances. Seriously. I'd take it as a sign. :D I am praying for her!!! (and all of you!)

Ginger :grouphug:

Thanks for sharing this good news!

I have been following this thread about your dd.

God is so good!

God takes very winding ways sometimes. :001_smile:

:grouphug::grouphug: to you all.

dd went in as a freshman with 24 credit hours. Most fill requirements, so that she wil be able to do a double major with an additional minor without killing herself (excessive class load) and still graduate in 4 years. The only downside is that her GPA didn't "transfer in" (that would have been nice padding for her institutional GPA), nor do her hours give her advanced standing toward registering for classes. Oh, well.

None of the colleges she applied to would have given her any trouble with the hours disqualifying her from scholarships, but some of the colleges in the region do, at thirty hours.

*jaw drop* What are the chances. Seriously. I'd take it as a sign. :D I am praying for her!!! (and all of you!)

This! How amazing!

I still wouldn't give up on the private schools and finding additional aid, but it's so good to see that there ARE options!

Then he spent 10 minutes sharing all sorts of details about it, how fantastic and approachable the teachers were, how they have special relations with all the universities in the state and guarantee their course credits transfer, their honors program, etc. Then when dd was absolutely beside herself with the excitement of the moment, he introduced himself as the MAYOR of the city!!

:svengo:

:hurray:

I was praying for Lindsey today and wondering if I'd see you at Cindy's MG meeting. (But now that I'm home, I am thinking that her meeting is just a class for those getting certified?)

That's just great news, Ginger. I read this with my mouth hanging open and then ran off to tell my dd.

OH WOW!

How cool is that?!?