Menu

Weird! My husband and I just returned from a night away, and our children (and the babysitter) told us about a strange gathering in the neighbors' front yard. There were 5-6 people in black hooded robes around a round table. The table was covered with a red cloth. The people (not sure if men or women) had red scarves around their necks and the robes had a white tab on the front. They were each holding (reading from?) black folders. I'd guess some kind of clergy (with the white "tabs") but the hooded black cloaks are confusing me.

I have *no* idea what this gathering might have been, but we are so curious! The neighbors live some distance away (across fields). They are overseas right now and we haven't met the couple who is housesitting, so I don't have any clues there.

Soooo.... what's your best guess?!?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just ask them.

"Hey! My kids were curious about what you were doing the other night, can you tell me about it so I can answer their questions?" :)

If you are nice and genuinely interested they will probably explain.

If they are "Oh we practice x or y harmless alternative religion" you can just calmly go on about your business.

If they are, "We worship Satan and were sacrificing a cat in order to summon a demon!" then you might want to avoid the house sitters.

There is no telling what they were doing. They could be Christians playing a role playing game.

Edited by Sis

I would just ask them.

"Hey! My kids were curious about what you were doing the other night, can you tell me about it so I can answer their questions?" :)

If you are nice and genuinely interested they will probably explain.

If they are "Oh we practice x or y harmless alternative religion" you can just calmly go on about your business.

If they are, "We worship Satan and were sacrificing a cat in order to summon a demon!" then you might want to avoid the house sitters.

There is no telling what they were doing. They could be Christians playing a role playing game.

I would (I usually have no qualms about asking people questions) but we have long wooded driveways and can't see each other from our houses (the kids were playing in the field), so I would have to go knock on the door to ask! No natural crossing of paths, unfortunately.

Yes, I think we'll avoid them if we discover cat remains! ;)

I would (I usually have no qualms about asking people questions) but we have long wooded driveways and can't see each other from our houses (the kids were playing in the field), so I would have to go knock on the door to ask! No natural crossing of paths, unfortunately.

Yes, I think we'll avoid them if we discover cat remains! ;)

Do you have your neighbor's number for where they are staying?

"They aren't going to summon anything are they? We just got our roof replaced" :lol:

Do you have your neighbor's number for where they are staying?

"They aren't going to summon anything are they? We just got our roof replaced" :lol:

I have their email address... but I don't want to be snoopy. We are new the the neighborhood so I don't want to be the paranoid/nosy newcomer. Tempted to ask SOMEONE around here though...

My neighbors are so boring.

I was thinking this, too! :lol:

On a serious note, back when I was a kid my family used to regularly meet to call up spirits of dead loved ones. They called up some pretty scary stuff - so I don't really take that kind of thing lightly, anymore. They didn't wear robes or anything like that.

The scene you described sounds like something out of an episode of one of those "haunting" show. I've watched one to many of those, I think.

It does seem a little bit creepy. I used to play D&D and it seems a little bizarro even for that.

Yeah, DH has been playing D&D for like 20 years and he's never seen anyone dress up. (Most of them wouldn't want to be called LARPERS- live-action-role-players because that's an even geekier sub-geek classification. :lol:) Besides, it's hard to eat the pizza with a hooded robe.

Seriously though, that would kind of give me the creeps too, since my brain went right to occult.

Soooo.... what's your best guess?!?

Making a movie.

Trying on graduation robes (of the professor type) and going over details of the ceremony.

Something to do with a choir.

Fraternity gathering.

Coven.

I'd surprised if it was D&D, because it sounds like they were matching, and I doubt D&D types would be matching.

Any kind of lodge/brotherhood organization meeting.

Practicing a play/skit.

Parade preparations.

Trying to freak out the neighbors.

(Why would they be in the front yard rather than the back?)

Every teen I know owns a black hoodie.

Ask your kids whether the hoods were up or down.