Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week four

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week four in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who has joined in and / or following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books blog - C is for Cinders: Do people really live happily ever after in fairy tales? A blogging friend of mine wrote an imaginative sequel to Cinderella appropriately called Cinders. It is her debut book and I think she's going to go far. Be sure to check her out.

What are you reading this week?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading the suspense novel, Delirious by Daniel Palmer. It's being released on the 25th and I'll be posting my review on Tuesday. A spy thriller with lots of twists and turns. Not sure what my next read is going to be. So far for a - z challenge I've read

a - Anna Karenina

b - Beatrice and Virgil

c - Cinders

d - Delirious

My 10 year old, Alexa, and I are doing this challenge together. This week, we are reading "The Gawgon and The Boy" by Lloyd Alexander.

"Give me The Boy. These words have the ring of a death sentence to eleven-year-old David as elderly, tough-minded Aunt Annie says them. He's recovering from an illness so serious that he almost died. And now this? But arrangements are quickly made- the aged woman, who seems as frightening as a monstrous, snake-haired Gorgon, will become his tutor. But in no time David changes his mind about The Gawgon, his secret nickname for her. He has always been a dreamer, making up and losing himself in imaginary adventures. Soon she begins to co-star in his fantasies- The Gawgon and The Boy can do anything, go anywhere. Together they rescue King Tut's treasure, scale mountains, outwit master criminals, fool the gods... The Gawgon changes David forever. In a year, the old woman with the bright heart of a girl gives him a lifetime's worth of memories as well as the most important gift of all: belief in himself and the confidence to be whatever he wants to be."

On my own, I'm also reading "Mary, Bloody Mary" after Imp's recommendation (I think that's who it was!) It's a young adult book by Carolyn Meyer and it's about Princess Mary (daughter of King Henry) and her childhood. It's the first in a series.

Edited by NanceXToo

I can't remember what I've posted about and what I haven't.

So far, I've read:

1. The Magicians

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. The Lightning Thief

4. Like Water for Chocolate

I am still inching myself through The Brothers Karamazov and just started Operation Mincemeat, a non-fiction book about a counterespionage incident in WWII.

I really enjoyed reading Lloyd Alexander books with my son. Don't think we ever read Gawgon, though.

My 2011 reading is off to a slow start, thanks to a bout of the flu. I could only listen to books I was familiar with, and I'd doze off and on through those.

But, finally, I've got 2 new books finished! Bridge of Birds is a fantasy/fairy tale that takes place in a make believe China. There are bits and pieces of real Chinese history and mythology, and the pacing and feel of the story reminded me of the Chinese epic Monkey. Not a kids book, but a very fun and unexpected fairy tale for grown ups.

I also listened to yet another Discworld book, Thief of Time, which was fun. Not the best, not the worst of the Pratchett books, but an enjoyable escape into the silly mind of Terry Pratchett.

I also am off to a slow start because most of my time has been spent packing for our coming move. I finished week 1 book, Flanagan's Smart Home earlier this week and have started Faith and Feminism: a holy alliance. The Smart Home book was a good one to read at the beginning of this move. It's helped me reevaluate what I've been packing for our move. Hopefully I can finish this book this week and start on the first Jane Austen book I've been wanting to re-read.

Edited by extendedforecast
Forgot a detail

I finished The Almost Moon and The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet this week. I started One Second After today and am almost done with The Lightening Thief (reading it with the kids). So far I have read:

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

The Trylle Trilogy (Switched, Torn, and Ascend)

Hollowland

The Almost Moon

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

So, seven books so far. I should finish two this week. I have enjoyed all of the books so far. The only thing I didn't finish was The Road. I can't stand the writing. I made it about a third of the way through before giving up. Boring!!!

Good reading week here. I finished two books (enjoyed them both) and started a third.

Busy with the Plantagenets here. The Daughter of Time is Josephine Tey's "mystery" on the murder of the princes in the tower. You come away believing Richard III did not do it--some convincing evidence. I read Philippa Gregory's The White Queen last year from the point of view of the princes' mother. That helped me have some idea who the main players were. I heard that her new one, The Red Queen, came out last year from the point of view of Henry VII's mother. I was able to get that from the library, so that is my current read. And now I find myself thinking those Yorks should have never been on the throne in the first place!

Loved Agnes Grey. I've never read Anne Bronte. It was like finding a Jane Austen I had never read. Nice little treat.

2011 Reading List

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

Edited by Ali in OR

I just typed out the books I've read so far, and the total is 8 (not all have been posted, but all meet the requirements.) It's nice to be ahead because at some point I'll have weeks where I can't read much.

The main book for this week is Brisingr, since I've already read the first two. I'm about half way done, but I count the books the week that they are finished. This is good, because I'm reading something only while at the Audobon Society while my 12 you takes a creative writing class there (the teacher rents a room there) and am slowly reading a nonfiction book at home, too.

I'm still on an Ellen Emerson White kick after loving her President's Daughter series. I'm 3/4 through The Road Home, and her oop Friends series is on the way from Amazon marketplace.Yea!! I'm on the lookout for more smart YA fiction.

I got 4 books read this week -- all pretty much brain candy, but I've been really sick for most of the week.

I finally found time to finish "Warlord" by Ted Bell. It's not his best. I also read 2 books by James Patterson, "The 9th Judgement" and "Run for Your Life". I've always been a fan of Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. Last night I finished "Deadly Sanctuary" by Sylvia Nobel. Barnes and Nobel offered it free as a Nookbook a little while back. It was pretty decent - I'll probably check out the rest of the series from the library.

With the four I read this week, I've read 6 books so far this year. My goal for this week is to read something a little more substantial. :tongue_smilie:

I read Murder on the Bride's Side by Tracy Kiely, Patience with God by Frank Schaeffer, and Call Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber. I'm almost through with Bret Harte's Gold Rush and I'm about 1/3 of the way in Bodies Like Bright Stars: Saints and Relics in Orthodox Russia.

I couldn't find my copy of Agnes Grey, so I had to request it from the library. Hope to start it this week.

I finished 'At Home' by Bill Bryson. I loved all the bits and bites of history that he wrote about. A fun read.

Then I read 'Composed' by Rosanne Cash. I was disappointed. Cash is a prolific writer but I was expecting deep from her and all I got was gloss. I should have known better.

Now I am reading (Book 6) 'Passionate Minds' by David Bodanis. It is a non-fiction book about the affair between Voltaire and Emilie du Chatelet (sp?), who is a scientist. This is an excellent read.

Finished Book #3, Little Lord Fauntleroy. I can see why Helen Keller liked it so very well. I imagine it's too saccharin for many people today; but I enjoyed it.

Now I'm on to Book #4, Home Education by Charlotte Mason. I broke down and ordered the Original Homeschooling series from amazon. :) This is one series that I really want to be able to MARK UP with all kinds of notes, smilies, underlining, etc. Ebook, online, or library copies just won't do!

I am pleased with this weeks' reading! I concluded the book we were doing for family reading, chosen by the men of the house:

#4 - Guns, Freedom, and Terrorism, by Wayne LaPierre.

I also finished an easy read:

#5 - Women's Intuition, by Lisa Samson - I've read four or five of this author's books over the past couple years and so far, they haven't failed to appeal, and to be page-turners.

Also read this week:

#6 - A Better Woman, by Susan Johnson - This was a memoir of the author's decision to become a mother and the changes it brought about in her thinking and way of life, not to mention all the medical problems that resulted. I can't honestly say that I enjoyed the book. Her pre-parent feelings and lifestyle, along with many of her *harsh* feelings afterwards, were foreign to me. Her honesty, however, was compelling and at times, almost frightening. I found myself wondering how she managed to avoid a visit from social services. Her children often sounded like a noose about her neck and I felt sorry for them. I also wondered, had she not been dealing with the major medical issues, if the children would've fared better in her care. It was an overall emotionally difficult book.

Yesterday, I began reading:

#7 - Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard, by Liz Murray

Finally, for family reading, I also read two non-fiction books, one on nature/seasonal changes in the springtime, and one on lighthouses. Both are much smaller books, so I am not counting them in this challenge.

After an exceptionally crazy week (trying to balance our new schedule of extracurriculars), I'm still working on book #3. I'm almost done Crazy Love by Francis Chan which is challenging my Christian faith and me. I know I'll have to read this one again.

I've also started The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Ormartian for a church bible study. It shouldn't take me long to get through it.

I WILL get myself caught up by the end of this week!

I finished book #3: Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine. Even though I knew all about it, I cried like a baby at the end. I think it's a worthwhile read for anyone who ran track in high school or is a current or wannabe (;) ) runner.

I'm listening this week to Extraordinary, Ordinary People, written and narrated by Condoleezza Rice. She's a great running companion. :) I've also started When the Brain Can't Hear : Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder because someone mentioned it on these threads. I thought perhaps my dd has a bit of it. Now, I'm starting to think I was wrong. I think it's my dh that does. :lol: And, well, he does have hearing loss too, so it's not a total stretch.

I just finished reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I didn't like it as much as I liked Outliers, but it was still interesting in parts.

I've started reading Anna Karenina.

My list so far this year:

1. Losing my Religion

2. The Hunger Games

3. 29 Gifts

4. Blink

I'm not really at a book per week pace, so I'm losing track. My list for the year had 66 books, and I've already read 3 books that weren't on it. I'll list what I've read so far.

I'm just finishing This Side of Paradise. I re-read The Great Gatsby last year and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd read some more. I'm also partway through Bullfinch's Age of Fable. Whole Grain Breads is excellent! It was a great read and now it is (hopefully) going to help me make some good bread.

8. This Side of Paradise (Fitzgerald)

7. Whole Grain Breads (Reinhart)

6. Northanger Abbey (Austin)

5. Persuasion (Austin)

4. When Bad Christians Happen to Good People

3. Math Coach

2. Theban trilogy

1. Our Town

Year-long reading: NKJV Bible, Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers

I read Faithful Place by Tana French. It was my first fiction book this year so it was nice to have a change of pace. The book is a murder mystery set in Ireland. The author used what I guessed to be Irish brogue occasionally which made the dialogue a bit challenging at times. It also had quite a bit of foul language which caught me off guard since I read so much non-fiction. Despite these drawbacks, I enjoyed the book.

This week I'm back to non-fiction with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

I'm still on book #3, The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. I'm hoping to finish it this week, though I'm not yet halfway through.

I'm going to have to check this one out. I read the Wives of Henry VIII by Weir and really enjoyed it.

I'm still reading the Bronte biography. Very interesting childhood for these children. I did hit the jackpot at the free shelf at the library this week, and got a copy of Gulliver's Travels and Anne of Green Gables. I've been wanting to re-read Anne after all the talk here and I've never read Gulliver.

I finished All I Did Was Ask by Terry Gross and Ender's Game last week (reviews in blog). This week I'm finishing up The Irresistible Henry House and listening to Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass, and I'm about to start Roseanne Cash's memoir, Composed. I'm mostly keeping one fiction and one non-fiction (plus one audiobook) going at a time so far this year, and that's working out well. I can switch back and forth if I get burned out on one book, but it's not so much at once that I get overwhelmed.

I read Its All Too Much by Peter Walsh, and started Story of a Soul, the autobiography of St/Therese of Lisieux.

I am having trouble reading for more than 20 minutes without falling asleep. I am not sure why, since it's not for lack of sleep- it can be any time of day. I do tend to read in bed, so maybe I need to set up a nook somewhere else to read that isnt so conducive to such deep relaxation.

Didn't finish anything this week but I am over halfway through Agnes Grey, and enjoying it for the most part. It is the first book I am reading on my Ipad and I find myself getting more distracted while reading it and having to go back and reread more...I guess I am too use to the feel of a book in my hands.

I am also working my way through The Screwtape Letters. I am really enjoying it and the thinking it is causing me to do regarding faith and religion.

I just started 1, 2, 3 Money Matters on my phone kindle thing. It was a free download so I am giving it a try...I am preferring the Kindle format to the Ibooks format oddly enough.

So nothing finished but a whole lot started.

I'm stll going on the same two books I've been complaining about for the past two weeks, primarily The High King of Montival by S.M. Stirling. I do think I'll finish it this week, though.

Things should improve when I can get myself to the library to get my holds, though. I have Papa Married A Mormon by John D. Fitzgerald (the author of the Great Brain books) coming in, and I'm looking forward to that.

I want to read Hotel At The Corner Of Bitter and Sweet because everyone keeps talking about it and I'm interested in the internment camps, but my library only has the audiobook version, and I don't particularly like audiobooks. I have to start up a list of books I need to look for used, I think.

If I finish it early, I'll start on The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I read that book many years ago and loved it- it really stuck with me all this time. I should re-read it!!

I failed to post for last week, but I finished The Fiery Cross for week three.

That's my favorite series ever :D

I am already behind!

I didn't read at all in Week 2, but in Week 3 I read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I loved the "Pray" part, but found the Eat part self-absorbed and the Love part exasperating.

Week 4 will see me reading Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen. As it's not too long, I'm hoping to "catch up" by fitting in another short book.

Loved Agnes Grey. I've never read Anne Bronte. It was like finding a Jane Austen I had never read. Nice little treat.

Yeah, glad you like it.

I've started reading Anna Karenina.

Look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Didn't finish anything this week but I am over halfway through Agnes Grey, and enjoying it for the most part. It is the first book I am reading on my Ipad and I find myself getting more distracted while reading it and having to go back and reread more...I guess I am too use to the feel of a book in my hands.

I had a hard time the first time I read my nook and didn't retain much. Took a while to get used to it and to stop treating it like I was skimming computer.

Going to practice what I preach since I'm the one who suggested it. finally started reading Tenant of Wildfell Hall today. yeah me! *grin*

I'm stll going on the same two books I've been complaining about for the past two weeks, primarily The High King of Montival by S.M. Stirling. I do think I'll finish it this week, though.

Things should improve when I can get myself to the library to get my holds, though. I have Papa Married A Mormon by John D. Fitzgerald (the author of the Great Brain books) coming in, and I'm looking forward to that.

I want to read Hotel At The Corner Of Bitter and Sweet because everyone keeps talking about it and I'm interested in the internment camps, but my library only has the audiobook version, and I don't particularly like audiobooks. I have to start up a list of books I need to look for used, I think.

This series looks interesting. Can you tell me about it? Are they worth the read?

thanks,

lisa

This series looks interesting. Can you tell me about it? Are they worth the read?

I really enjoyed the first book, Dies The Fire. An event of (so far) unknown cause occurs, changing the laws of physics so that things like electricity and gunpowder no longer work. The first few books focus on the different ways in which the survivors of the initial chaos rebuild society.

I've read all the subsequent books in the series (which is actually a trilogy of trilogies with different settings in time and focuses), and found them varying degrees of enjoyable. Some I raced through, others took a few tries. This seems like it may be one of the ones that takes a few tries.

Honestly, I'm about ready for the series to be over (my understanding is that there are 1 or 2 more books planned) so I can stop feeling obligated to read them. They're not bad books, but they're a very different story from where they started out, and I was into the immediate post-apocolyptic story much more than the neo-medieval fantasy it currently is.

'Passionate Minds' by David Bodanis. It is a non-fiction book about the affair between Voltaire and Emilie du Chatelet (sp?), who is a scientist. This is an excellent read.

That looks great. I'm happy to see that my library has a copy too! :001_smile:

my library only has the audiobook version, and I don't particularly like audiobooks.

I'm w/ you on that, lol! I find it exasperating when my library has only an audiobook version of something & not an actual hard copy. Why??? :confused:

I'm still working on the same 2 books this week:

The Abyssinian by Jean-Christophe Rufin

The Perfect Man by Naeem Murr

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdVZT6FRNzDxwTgICv_djYjoSpSDkFWeCh0RKQ3Y4ZvrU1DEI19gby images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4pWBl_bV3BrNsnb_kg9gS8jAkB7rbng5ua2DtO4rrI6zJmRp9

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmfY5NCFNvgaa7G3vDCY5LCFZslTymiJ4TWn6xElmWpi4JoC2Wugby images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL7A2nMzXk7ZgKWRDQzB4GgiqXioS69wKsvbETifeyW55D3OEU

Books read in 2011: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag; People Die

Edited by Stacia

I just finished reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I didn't like it as much as I liked Outliers, but it was still interesting in parts.

That's what my dh said also. Haven't read Blink yet, but I plan to ...

This looks interesting.

I read Its All Too Much by Peter Walsh

I am having trouble reading for more than 20 minutes without falling asleep.

The Peter Walsh book looks interesting. I really need to get rid of some stuff. Although dh will likely tease me that I don't need a book to get rid of stuff. ;)

Also having trouble falling asleep very soon after starting to read. If I'm reading and not about to nap or sleep, I'm usually online. It's when I read in bed ... I just crash after a few pages. I teased my dad about that for years. And now ... here it's happening to me. :lol:

My week 3 book was The Help. Incredible book. I couldn't put it down.

This week is The Book Thief.

Loved both. Loved The Help more, but they're both different.

I'm still reading The Forgotten Garden. So far, so good.

TFG%20cover%20USA.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1266546929370

This past week I read:

- Footsteps in the Dark (Georgette Heyer)

- Miss Pym Disposes (Josephine Tey)

- The Matchmakers (Janette Oke)

- The Hawk and the Jewel (Lori Wick)

- Wings of the Morning (Lori Wick)

- The Knight and the Dove (Wick)

- Detection Unlimited (Heyer)

Right now I have no idea what I'm going to read this week. It will depend on what I feel like reading when the time comes! I do know that it will be something frivolous and fun to read! :001_smile:

This week Ds8 read:

- The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys book)

- Encyclopedia Brown #9

- Encyclopedia Brown #10

- The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys book)

He'll be starting another Hardy Boys book today.

Slowest reading week so far. Still slogging through Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France. It's like a 300-page internet rant; well-written, but overly wordy (around page 100 he even pauses to mention that it's getting pretty long), disorganized, and hyperbolic.

There are, however, some gems in it. I will get through! And then on to something that's not political philosophy.