Menu

What workshops do YOU need?

Stages of spiritual development? (Maybe you could introduce the new curriculum here, and address how it works for each stage of the Trivium?)

I don't know if there's enough material, or if this is even a need, but I have one child I'm homeschooling, and it is challenging in some ways--Homeschooling Only One? I could use pointers on generating enough energy in the household, holding discussions, etc. I know that sounds rather ridiculous to folks who are trying to homeschool multiple kids and think it would be heavenly to have only one--but there are hard things about it!

I actually would love to hear what you have to say to minister's wives, but it seems you keep some of that private--would you be willing to offer a workshop on homeschooling in the clergy/missionary family? Maybe a panel of some sort?

How about something on adapting WTM methods to kids with special needs?

I don't know if there's enough material, or if this is even a need, but I have one child I'm homeschooling, and it is challenging in some ways--Homeschooling Only One? I could use pointers on generating enough energy in the household, holding discussions, etc. I know that sounds rather ridiculous to folks who are trying to homeschool multiple kids and think it would be heavenly to have only one--but there are hard things about it!

Yes - I have an only too and DH won't let me homeschool her (only afterschool her) because "homeschooling is only for large families". Pointers would be helpful!

Also - do you have anything for self-education?

Susan,

I would like a workshop that ties all your recommendations together. For example, if one is following your recommendations for history and writing how do they work together? Should you do all the writing for history and all the writing for writing? If not, how much overlap is there really? I know that this is addressed in various places, but a "Big Picture" session would be wonderful!

The other thing that would interest me would be a session that sets goals for entering the rhetoric stage. There are some wonderful threads here about what to do in logic to prepare for rhetoric, and a session discussing exactly where these kids should be at that point would be helpful

Thanks! I hope to see you in Memphis!

I wonder if you even have experience with this... but something along the lines of Homeschooling the Reluctant Learner.

Or... Tools become a more rigorous teacher, when you are naturally a slacker, and your kids would rather play with legos.

Tips for turning learning from drudgery to a joyful romp of discovery.

Top 15 difficulties homeschoolers face and ways to turn them around.

Oops! I screwed up and didn't teach my kids some things they needed, now it is biting me in the butt... backtracking and solving HSing issues (this is also good for people who are new to HSing who pulled their kids out of school).

Your kid is so smart, so why is this so hard (emphasis on writing and output).

Creating a perfect balance: academics, playtime and life.

I barely survived the Grammar Stage, now how am I supposed to teach the Logic Stage?

I think you get the idea! :D

pardon all my capitalization errors, I am in a hurry.....:tongue_smilie:

Edited by radiobrain

My CURRENT trouble spot is preparing for logic stage/middle school. I'm stressing over making sure that we cover everything we need to be prepared for High School. Maybe I'm just planning too far ahead, and stressing too much, but I feel like the basics are covered, and now we're getting down to SERIOUS learning, if that makes any sense.?

How to teach literature. That is freaking me out, for some reason. Picking the books, and what to teach about them. How to teach the terminology (which I, myself, mever learned!)

And then there's the whole 'how to do a unit study when you, yourself, have no self discipline and can't teach unless it's a from a textbook.'

And I like the idea about how to teach a reluctant learner. I've got a stinking 6 yr old reluctant learner.

1. Teaching different children at different levels while still only having 24 hours in a day and no access to a time machine or mom-duplicator.

2. Teaching writing but starting late (i.e. jumping in with writing skills in 7th or 8th grade with little to no earlier practice on the part of the student or teacher)

3. Balancing homeschooling and working!!! Particularly self-employment or working at home with classical homeschooling.

who have suggested workshops about how to prepare a logic stage student for HS and how to prepare an HS student for college, particularly in writing.

A workshop about how to teach writing across various subject areas (history, science, literature, the arts), and a workshop emphasising how to integrate other subject areas (literature, art, music and science) with history would be helpful as well.

Essential skills for the reluctant writer.

Facilitating discussion about history and literature vs. merely pushing students through one more outline, list of facts, biography or short summary.

I have a 5th grade boy who is a reluctant writer; he says, "I used to love history, now all I do is writing." :sad: (We're following the recommendations in TWTM).

Thank you, Susan. I've made the journey to Cincinnati several times to hear you speak, and always return feeling refreshed and inspired, with a renewed sense that I really can do this. :001_smile:

Love the idea about what to teach your child before they hit High School. Teh logic stage makes me nervous as it sets up so much of the future.

I also think a class on evaluating writing would be great. I can spot grammatical errors but at times struggle with how to evaluate the quality of writing.

Preparing your child successfully for college.

Great suggestions so far (keep them up)--

brief thread hijack.

ELaurie: sounds to me like you need to pull back a bit. You can do writing in history once a week--or even once every couple of weeks--spread the writing around in different subject areas and also pull back on the total. Don't worry about not doing enough, at least for a little while; it's so easy to kill a fifth-grader's love for history (and you have a lot of time left to get him ready for high school). Just let him read for a while.

Fifth grade is a tricky time. They vary SO widely in ability....it's impossible to lay down fifth-grade guidelines that apply across the board.

SWB

I would appreciate a workshop on how to approach history, science and the bible with my son so that he develops a solid understanding/belief system. My main difficulties are developing my own understanding and integrating all the pieces that I learned as separate parts. Examples that give me confusion......Young earth/old earth........where are credible sources of info? I currently say that there is alot of debate over this and even christians can disagree. I say that I do not have enough info to have opinion and that we will just have to learn more. Sorry if I am rambling....it is hard to form my thoughts....maybe I am asking for an efficient framework/approach to evaluate sources of info and wade through the less credible info when teaching my son an accurate christian world view that does not negate credible sources of info from science and history.

brief thread hijack.

ELaurie: sounds to me like you need to pull back a bit. You can do writing in history once a week--or even once every couple of weeks--spread the writing around in different subject areas and also pull back on the total. Don't worry about not doing enough, at least for a little while; it's so easy to kill a fifth-grader's love for history (and you have a lot of time left to get him ready for high school). Just let him read for a while.

Fifth grade is a tricky time. They vary SO widely in ability....it's impossible to lay down fifth-grade guidelines that apply across the board.

SWB

Thank you Susan!

I appreciate your suggestions more than you know.

He'll be so relieved. :001_smile:

I'll throw in my support for high-school and prep for high-school related workshops.

For example, I've got an academically motivated 7th grader, what do I need to know/do to give him the best possible high-school education at home and the best prep for college?

Additionally, I have a 5th grader who would rather draw and paint than mind his studies. Every day is a battle of wills. He loves to learn, but on his terms. How do I tailor a program that gives him the best possible high-school education at home and the best prep for college?

I'm not expecting an answer to these questions here. I'm just putting them out as possible examples applicable to a general homeschooling population trying to prepare kids with varying talents/interests for life.

Something on writing across the curriculum, and what that looks like, especially for the logic stage.

Something very explicit that shows us where a child needs to be (minimum and ideal) at the end of grammar, logic, and rhetoric stage (assuming college prep).

Something with lots of ideas for those of us with science-obsessed grammar stage children. For example: variety of books of experiments, kits, nature-focused science exploration, book lists, magazine ideas, and websites.

1. Teaching different children at different levels while still only having 24 hours in a day and no access to a time machine or mom-duplicator.

I totally agree. I mean, trying to help teach writing to my 10th grader is intensive while guiding him through AP statistics where i don't understand anything from his online class, trying to work with my 8th grader on math because it is his tough subject and he needs me to help explain it and have him rework, etc and then teaching how to write a paragraph or dictation and almost everything with my 3rd grader... And that is just a small sample. You despair of being rigorous enough becaus everything needs to be read and discussed even when the older two do things independently. For example, they both flunked the essay part of their quarter exam for TOG. They didn't address some key points. So we spent 30 minutes going over the question and practiced underlining the key points that must be addressed in the question, jotting down notes, and then I read them a sample essay TOG provided. Then I gave them a new essay topic and made them do it again. There just isn't enough time to do it right like that every day. Some days they would just get a quick lecture about what they did wrong, which isn't nearly as effective. But how do you make time to be the most fantastic teacher in every single subject!!!!!

Christine

Some of you won't have clicked on the Great Homeschool Conferences thread, so let me ask here too--What workshops would you like to come to in 2011? Topics? Needs? I want to prepare several new workshops and want them to answer real concerns.

SWB

Anything to do with high school or college.

*I know one from your mom could be "You can do high school and still get into college" type.

*What they need to be able to write in college.

* really writing writing writing. This is my down fall. We all have subjects that are hard, writing is mine. Science I can do, but writing???

*how to prepare them spiritually or rather, what do they need to be prepared for? You see college students, what do I need to teach mine before they are out the door - social stuff.

I do have 2 that aren't in high school yet, but my focus and my worry is on getting the oldest into college.

What to look for in picking a college-those things that make a college stellar-no matter how small or big. I know that there are books out there on this already and I know you have a chapter in TWTM, but something more on how we help bridge them.

What makes a good teacher and what are some tools we can learn to pull more out of our kids and glean more out of the subjects? Especially in the beginning it's so overwhelming. We've been taught, but that doesn't make us good teachers, you know?

How do you practically teach multiple levels. This must have been an art all on it's own in a one room schoolhouse!

How to cultivate a household that loves education and reading. I mean, we can put the books out there, but how do you tease the palate of a reluctant learner? CM said education is a life-but how do we make it so?

I'm still thinking of some. :001_smile:

Edited by justamouse

Latin. I'm sort of/kind of/not really. . . educated w/ a Masters, but I just didn't get the point of teaching Latin.

It's slowly starting to sink in that Latin is a foundational place to start for grammar/learning languages later/sussing out word origins etc. Is that right?

See? I'm not even sure. I'm just beginning to have a gut feeling that teaching Latin is "the right thing to do."

So, I would have definitely attended "Why in Today's World Should I Teach Latin?" I would have attended when I didn't get it. And I'd attend right now too.

I still can't tell from WTM if I should go ahead and do Spanish along w/ learning Latin. You say, "yes," but you didn't go into much detail.

Another note: I moved to the east coast from CA early in '10 and was so surprised to see you speaking last year at HEAV. I was like, "this person actually exists! She's not just a picture at the end of a book. This is amazing!"

I was alway so bummed that you never seemed to be in CA.

Thank you for everything,

Alley

I would like to put in a plug for audio lectures. I love them! I am not going to make it to a convention and I have really learned so much from the lectures. My dh enjoys them as well. So, for those who haven't purchased them, try it! For those who make the lectures please continue to put them up. Maybe a series of podcasts....

So for topics: I really get so much from single topic discussions. For example: Teaching logic. I would be interested in the whys of course, but also what it looks like at different abilites and stages. What do I need to cover before starting formal logic, etc. Latin and history could all use a similar treatment. I know, much is covered in TWTM but I seem to learn different things from the lectures than is in the book.

A discussion about transitions in teaching would be interesting. How do we teach a child who is transitioning to the logic stage? What teaching tools do we need to discard and what new skills do we need? The same about moving from logic stage to rhetoric. I think you covered some of that in the lecture about how to help students to work more independently, yes?

Expectations maybe comes into play with that. How do we know we are doing a 'good enough' job as teachers? It can be so hard to evaluate ourselves. We face criticism on every side. Some tell us we are expecting too much from our kids and others make us feel like we aren't doing enough.

I have lots of faith my kids are great students. I am not always sure their mother is a good enough teacher.

I posted in the other thread, but I'll post here, too.

I would love to see a talk on teaching high school rhetoric.

Also, a talk on teaching history and literature in high school, as someone else said. Maybe gather some context papers to give examples. I've been teaching 9th grade a la WTM history and lit this year, but I still feel like I could use more help. Maybe some examples of discussion points and paper topics would be good. Tell what a week or two look like in detail.

Anything about a rigorous, college-prep high school program would be good. Everytime I go to talks on homeschooling high school, it's about hwo to get them graduated with the bare minimum. I'd like to hear about what the best possible scenario for college-prep is.

2. Teaching writing but starting late (i.e. jumping in with writing skills in 7th or 8th grade with little to no earlier practice on the part of the student or teacher)

3. Balancing homeschooling and working!!! Particularly self-employment or working at home with classical homeschooling.

Love all of these ideas! :)

"How to be a Classical Educator". Teach me, please!!!!

With lots of visuals/examples I can touch, for those of us with adult ADD :D

Maybe something on "Milestones and Checkpoints: when to go back to the basics and when to press forward."

Basically a safety net so that I don't miss anything vital!!!

Home schooling a gifted child....specifically telescoping and compacting techniques with detail on how to do it. And how to deal with intensities and perfectionism while homeschooling with detail and examples.

I just need more examples and detail than what I get out of most HSing books on the topic!

I would like to put in a plug for audio lectures. I love them!

I completely agree with this. Your audio lectures are excellent. I keep waiting for How to Get Your Child Prepared for College.

I heard you speak on the college topic across from HEAV in early '10 and loved it. I hope it'll be on audio soon.

Alley

I would like to put in a plug for audio lectures. I love them! I am not going to make it to a convention and I have really learned so much from the lectures. My dh enjoys them as well. So, for those who haven't purchased them, try it! For those who make the lectures please continue to put them up. Maybe a series of podcasts....

I agree! The audio lectures are wonderful and I have learned so much from them. A podcast series would be great.

Another area that I would like to hear more about is the later high school years (jr/sr years) and getting students ready for the college application process.

Lesley

Susan,

Thank you so much for asking!

I would love to see a seminar for teens and/or parents on loving God with all your mind, emphasizing what that looks like in the 21st century. Perhaps you or Peter Enns could teach this? It would be great if you could co-teach.

Editing to clarify: something on the role of intellect in Christianity - don't check your brain at the door kind of thing.

Edited by TechWife
to clarify

maybe I am asking for an efficient framework/approach to evaluate sources of info and wade through the less credible info when teaching my son an accurate christian world view that does not negate credible sources of info from science and history.

:iagree:

• 4 weeks later...
Some of you won't have clicked on the Great Homeschool Conferences thread, so let me ask here too--What workshops would you like to come to in 2011? Topics? Needs? I want to prepare several new workshops and want them to answer real concerns.

SWB

How to assess a curriculum or outside course. Sort of along the lines of the posts that you did about online courses. But could also be a rubric for thinking through what math or grammar or history approach will be a good fit for a certain situation/child.

Practical lessons learned. Thinking of things like the video on quiet time (never thought about that for older kids). Or about how the opposite of older kids learning to work independently is that we should expect and plan to be at the elbow for younger kids.

How to homeschool with what is at hand. Meaning a reminder of the WTM approaches to history and science and that they aren't dependent on particular texts (even though SOTW is awesome).

A preview of the practical lessons in summarizing and outlining that are in Writing with Skill. My kids are beta testing and I've seen tremendous growth just in using the sample lessons.

I'm not much for lectures or self-help books or conferences but the below ideas interest me. I'm dealing with burn out on top of being a slacker mom.

Or... Tools become a more rigorous teacher, when you are naturally a slacker, and your kids would rather play with legos.

I like that idea!

Also, what about coming to New England sometime? Philadelphia is too great a distance and expense.

I've got a friend with one going to college this fall. Watching/listening to her over the past 4 months has been a lesson in college apps. It is starting to make me nervous.

It's Crunch Time!

--How to give your child an outstanding high school education, get him into a good college, and make sure you have left no gaps.

Susan,

Do you have a current list of conferences you will be speaking at? I came to the Midwest Conference last year and really enjoyed your sessions. Are you going to be at the HEAV in Richmond? I wish you were coming to NCHE conference. I know lots of homeschoolers who would love to hear you sessions! Thanks:)

brief thread hijack.

SWB

Oh, I think I'm going to frame this. (And hang it under the 4'x6' pic of SWB over the mantle. J/k, in case you don't remember Rosie saying this a while back. I can't remember why she did, but the image still cracks me up.)

I'd love to see something on "how to avoid the trap of thinking that just because your child is as well-educated as the average public schooler in your area, you are doing a good job and do not need to ramp it up with your littles in order to avoid winding up with quasiliterate high schoolers who are unable to read the New York Times or score well on the SAT because they are endowed with less cultural capital than most of their 8th-grade-educated, dirt-farmer great-grandparents."

Um. You might want to rework the title a bit. :D But it's something that concerns me HUGELY in my local homeschool community (Upstate South Carolina). Our public schools are awful. That lowered intellectual standard spills over into the homeschooling community in lots of ways.