Menu

Marshmallows or No Marshmallows

Well, it depends.

The purpose of marshmallows--and whipped cream--originally was to keep that nasty skin from forming on the top of the hot milk as they melted...back in the day when people made hot chocolate from actual milk. Today, most people just use a package of something and pour it into a cup of hot water.

So if I'm making *real* hot chocolate, I'll use marshmallows or whipped cream. If it's out of a package, then no.

Well, it depends.

The purpose of marshmallows--and whipped cream--originally was to keep that nasty skin from forming on the top of the hot milk as they melted...back in the day when people made hot chocolate from actual milk. Today, most people just use a package of something and pour it into a cup of hot water.

So if I'm making *real* hot chocolate, I'll use marshmallows or whipped cream. If it's out of a package, then no.

I only drink *real* hot chocolate, and I drink it every day. It never sits long enough to form a skin. :001_smile:

No marshmallows. Whipped cream if we have it, which is not often.

A few years ago I discovered these handcrafted Marshmallows from Williams-Sonoma, and that was it....they are now the only marshmallows I like in hot chocolate. The downside---very expensive, the upside---only available around the holidays, so it's a special treat to look forward to each year. I even give them as Christmas gifts, and they are a big hit :001_smile: