What do you top your tree with?  

1. 1. What do you top your tree with?

• Angel
    • Star
    • Santa
    • Bowf
    • Other
    • Nothing

As much as I dread the "other"...I have to use that button because when dh and I got married oh so many years ago we waited too late to buy a topper and could only find a cheap gold star with glitter, lights, etc. We said we wanted an angel and would replace the star when we found the angel we wanted. Well, quite a few years went by before we found an angel and actually bought one. By then I was sentimentally attached to the star even though the angel is beautiful. Dh solved the problem for me. He now puts the angel on the top of the tree but has hung a hook on the ceiling and hangs the star above the angel. It was a perfect solution.

I put other.....

We do top our tree with a very small angel. However we have been looking for a star to top our tree with. We haven't been able to find one yet. This angel is kind of sticking with us because it is so small and our tree is huge. A small family joke that is becoming a tradition. :D Our preference is a star.

Holly

We have a few fancy blown glass tree toppers that were always on our tree when I was growing up, but since ds made and decorated a cardboard star for the top of the tree when he was 4, that's what we use. I take better care of it than any of our other Christmas stuff, because I want to keep it forever!

Cat

We have a few fancy blown glass tree toppers that were always on our tree when I was growing up, but since ds made and decorated a cardboard star for the top of the tree when he was 4, that's what we use. I take better care of it than any of our other Christmas stuff, because I want to keep it forever!

Cat

Awwww....well, those are the best kind of decorations!! Our entire tree is made up of cheesy ornaments the kids have either picked out or made! I much prefer that to a fancy, department store like themed tree!

When I was a little kid, our star broke. My mother replaced it with a cardboard star covered with tin foil. Every year after my sis and I insisted on a tin-foil star, much to her (mostly mock, I think) dismay.

My dh couldn't handle a cardboard-and-foil star, so I bought a cheapo star at Target, but I still miss the tin foil star. Maybe I'll break our star and the boys and I can start a star-making tradition. ;)

Cat

My dh couldn't handle a cardboard-and-foil star, so I bought a cheapo star at Target, but I still miss the tin foil star. Maybe I'll break our star and the boys and I can start a star-making tradition. ;) Cat

That's a good idea! We have misplaced our star, so DH bought one at K-Mart yesterday. It is the most hideous star I have ever seen, bar none, beginning with the fact that even though DH thought it was gold-colored, when it is lit it is Orange. None of us are going to say one word about it. Hopefully, when DH gets home, he will see it lit up and hate it. If he does, we'll make a foil star. Otherwise, it will break after Christmas is over.

The picture is from a website, not the actual orange star, because DD left my camera on for several days and I don't have a charged battery to take a photo to illustrate the IRL hideousness of this star.

post-642-13535084242019_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084242019_thumb.jpg

Edited by RoughCollie

I told my husband all I wanted for Christmas was a nice old-fashioned topper....the kind that is like a shiny round ornament but that rises up to a spire? Do they still make those? Well, little boy was entertaining himself at an antique store while hubby looked at an old chess set and found an old one in an original box, Made in Italy, bright red to match my baubles, for 2 bucks.

Best Christmas present I've had.

We have used all sorts of things to top the tree with. Including, but not limited to:

A normal looking angel my mother sent

A lopsided paper star, colored with yellow marker and outlined in black

A white angel beanie baby bear ("Halo")

A Transformers toy (Bumblebee, cause his doors look like wings) in robot mode, with a paper halo

And this year, a white Pegasus Webkinz with a halo made of yellow pipe cleaner. I think it's my favorite so far.