Menu

Funny Question: Have any of you received a.......................

Christmas card or Seasons Greetings card from someone and you have...............................................................

NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdVqr2ghgZCeWGGfBPk60ZIWMgwd-QGVXvnqI0m8M7wBJuIZJYimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT93wd5_DBeWB-Q18PNeCcy9zkNmKVQ6UZsj7QmfatuV3nk0am1Uw

We received a card yesterday addressed specifically to us (not occupant), handwritten (not printed en masse), and we cannot figure out who this family is.

I have couple of times. I eventually figured out one was from a girl who went to college with me. We weren't friends in college. She was friends with someone I was friends with, but I definitely wasn't in that circle and really had no relationship with anyone else in the group. We had no contact after college. I have no idea how she learned my married name or address. The card came at least 10 years after graduation. I never responded to the card. She sent cards to me for the next 3 or 4 years. And then stopped. It was weird.

I never have, however it does remind me of a friend of mine who would recruit all her friend, relative, and acquaintances who were traveling abroad to send her brother a letter or card from afar from a fictitious relative, just to hear him rant about this unknown person he keeps getting cards from all over the world...lol

I never have, however it does remind me of a friend of mine who would recruit all her friend, relative, and acquaintances who were traveling abroad to send her brother a letter or card from afar from a fictitious relative, just to hear him rant about this unknown person he keeps getting cards from all over the world...lol

:lol::lol: I LOVE this! If I had a brother, I would do this.

Oh, wait, I have a husband..... :nopity:

We got one years ago. It turned out to be from an old college friend who tracked us down. She'd gotten married and had a bunch of kids. We had no idea. After we finally found out who it was we were able to correspond for a bit. We've since lost touch, though.

Cinder

Got one today--turned out they were a cute couple dh married. I don't always know the folks he marries, because some are the kids of parishoners.

Maybe yours was from your paper carrier? We get one from him. We think it's nice, but he'll wait forever for a tip from us--one of the worst. paper carriers. ever.

:lol: Love it!

We got one last year. It was the weirdest thing. I started telling my sister about it--3 kids I'd never seen, names scrawled illegibly, no return address. She wondered if it was one of her friends who writes illegibly, so I showed it to her a few days later. Sure enough! It was my sister's friend whom I had met once, months earlier!

We got a good laugh.

Hope you find out who yours is from!

This is funny! :lol:

:lol:

I've not got one of those cards, but I did get a text message saying they missed me already. It's amazing what kind of atmosphere a few simple words can invoke, even via text :001_huh::lol: I think they were a bit embarrassed to have sent that to a wrong number :D

Rosie

I received a "happy thanksgiving" text from someone I did not know.

Dh did too from someone. He had received a text from that number before also so this time he called the number to find out who it was. The guy answered and said " Oh hey {dh's name}, how's it going?" Dh still couldn't figure out who it was and ended up just saying thanks for the greeting and hanging up!

:lol:

I've not got one of those cards, but I did get a text message saying they missed me already. It's amazing what kind of atmosphere a few simple words can invoke, even via text :001_huh::lol: I think they were a bit embarrassed to have sent that to a wrong number :D

Rosie

I got one asking if I was mad at them since they hadn't heard from me since I moved. Ok. I *did* move--over 5 years ago. And I *did* keep my old number. So after racking my brain and finally realizing it wasn't anyone I knew I texted back that they had the wrong number. They just LOL'ed over it. But I wonder what they think of their friends now. :tongue_smilie:

Cinder

We got something really odd last week--a letter addressed to my two girls, with a $30 Target gift card inside. The envelope and (very short) note were printed out, there was no handwriting or return address or name--it's totally anonymous. Is it my in-laws doing something weird? Someone from church who knows we're broke? A psychopath? :confused:

OK, it must be someone from church. Today's mail contained a card for Best Buy for my husband--clearly someone who knows he's a computer guy, but not that he can't stand Best Buy. (I grabbed the card and will get him a present--I know just what to get.) So, thank you, anonymous card-sender...

We got something really odd last week--a letter addressed to my two girls, with a $30 Target gift card inside. The envelope and (very short) note were printed out, there was no handwriting or return address or name--it's totally anonymous. Is it my in-laws doing something weird? Someone from church who knows we're broke? A psychopath? :confused:

I did that one year for a family. They had NOTHING. So, I drove by and put a few gift cards in their mailbox. I didn't want them to feel beholden to me, but I hated the thought that they'd have nothing for Christmas.

I did worry that it would make them uncomfortable around EVERYone, wondering who had done it. But I hoped they would just let it go and enjoy their little gifts.

Christmas card or Seasons Greetings card from someone and you have...............................................................

NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdVqr2ghgZCeWGGfBPk60ZIWMgwd-QGVXvnqI0m8M7wBJuIZJYimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT93wd5_DBeWB-Q18PNeCcy9zkNmKVQ6UZsj7QmfatuV3nk0am1Uw

We received a card yesterday addressed specifically to us (not occupant), handwritten (not printed en masse), and we cannot figure out who this family is.

Not this year, but last year we got a lovely card with a photo of a beautiful family of 6, addressed specifically to our family at our address and handwritten on the envelope and the signature. Even with the picture, we had no idea!

I've done that sort of thing before and I'm not a psychopath. Take comfort. :D It'll be someone who knows you're broke, has a bit to spare, and doesn't want to embarrass anyone. Offering it to your face reeks of charity. Sending it anonymously will puzzle you, but won't hurt. Just be sure, if anyone is talking about the joys of the season, not to grizzle that nothing nice ever happens to you, or they won't send you anything next year if they had been intending to. I know the lady I used to send to wouldn't suspect the cashier at the fruit shop, but $60 of book vouchers for two or three Christmases in a row aren't "nothing good ever happens" in my opinion! That's my day's wages, after tax!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

We got one of those mystery cards a few years ago. After months of investigation (we became slightly obsessed with the matter), we finally figured out that it came from the parents of some kid my husband had gone to boarding school with. Thirty years ago. In England (we now live in the US). And my husband had never, as far as he remembers, met this kid's parents nor had he heard a word from him in decades.

My neighbor got one last year that still puzzles her. It had a photo, a lovely note about what the family was up to, and asked questions that made it clear they were familiar with my neighbor's family. She has absolutely no clue who they are. So, if you're reading this, Bill and Evangeline from Idaho, do let Marianne know who you are!

I've done that sort of thing before and I'm not a psychopath. Take comfort. :D It'll be someone who knows you're broke, has a bit to spare, and doesn't want to embarrass anyone. Offering it to your face reeks of charity. Sending it anonymously will puzzle you, but won't hurt. Just be sure, if anyone is talking about the joys of the season, not to grizzle that nothing nice ever happens to you, or they won't send you anything next year if they had been intending to. I know the lady I used to send to wouldn't suspect the cashier at the fruit shop, but $60 of book vouchers for two or three Christmases in a row aren't "nothing good ever happens" in my opinion! That's my day's wages, after tax!

Rosie

Oh, I'm very appreciative! It was just kind of weird to get something for my kids anonymously--maybe if it had been cryptically signed I would have gotten it sooner? I totally thought it was my in-laws being strange. But tonight I went and spent it on presents for the stockings and a few necessities for them. (

Actually we have been astoundingly blessed by people at our church in the last few days, all anonymously. Friday I was very down, because things haven't been looking good and we are trying to figure out what to do next. Saturday, we had a nice family day, got our tree, then the gift cards arrived, someone started 12 days of Christmasing us last night, and then our bishop (pastor) showed up with a cash gift from an anonymous person at church. Guess somebody knew we're having a hard time...I'm not spending a lot on Christmas, still--most of that will go to real bills--but I no longer feel like I'm trying to produce something out of nothing.

So I feel like I can get through the next week or so without breaking down. Yay! :001_smile: