Menu

Book a week in 2011.... We're doing it all over again. Who is game?

how bout a Jane Austin mini-challenge?

Actually I like that idea. I have most of her books and have been meaning to read them. Classics sitting on the shelf being ignored. So yes - we'll include a Jane Austin mini - challenge.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in - if you'll have me! :-) Don't know if I'll make all 52, but I'll sure give it a try!

We'd be delighted!

Can I join in? I have a feeling Santa is bringing me an e-reader of some sort, so that will just motivate me.

Certainly. Keeping fingers crossed for that e-reader. They are the best!

I need to know. How or why can an anonymous person be afraid to join an online thread about chatting/boasting about the books they read?Rosie

Have absolutely no idea, except. :confused: Sometimes people are afraid of commitment so they remain anonymous. Sometimes people are just very very shy, even online. Or maybe they read 'those' :ohmy: books. Leaving 'those' up to your imagination.

How about a time period challenge? You can post a challenge to read a book from certain time periods.

Autobiography book challenge?

Mystery book challenge?

Really you could do mini challenges for every genre since your planning a sci fi one.

A mini challenge to read a book from a different religious perspective than your own. That really would be a challenge! :tongue_smilie:

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to do it or not. I did the challenge in 2009 and loved it, but I found myself being very aware of how many pages each book had. :glare:

I'd hate to start rejecting good books because I thought they would slow down my rate. (Yes, I have issues. :tongue_smilie:)

That said, I think I need a "Read a book you own but haven't read yet" mini-challenge.

How about a time period challenge? You can post a challenge to read a book from certain time periods.

Autobiography book challenge?

Mystery book challenge?

Really you could do mini challenges for every genre since your planning a sci fi one.

A mini challenge to read a book from a different religious perspective than your own. That really would be a challenge! :tongue_smilie:

All good ideas... oh my brain!

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to do it or not. I did the challenge in 2009 and loved it, but I found myself being very aware of how many pages each book had. :glare:

I'd hate to start rejecting good books because I thought they would slow down my rate. (Yes, I have issues. :tongue_smilie:)

That said, I think I need a "Read a book you own but haven't read yet" mini-challenge.

That would be the TBR challenge and I've gotcha covered. I'm going to work on reading what books are in my TBR pile before buying anything new in 2011. So Dive right in and read your own books and see how far you get.

It's all about having fun folks. That's why we came up with the 12 classics in 12 months last year, because some folks didn't think they could read 52 books. Hmm! Now I'm getting all sorts of ideas. My brain is going to explode.

That would be the TBR challenge and I've gotcha covered. I'm going to work on reading what books are in my TBR pile before buying anything new in 2011. So Dive right in and read your own books and see how far you get.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Hey, what about a Cool Title challenge? You know, a book you read just because the title is so cool.

Hey, what about a Cool Title challenge? You know, a book you read just because the title is so cool.

I have one that's similar which is picking a book based on its cover and not reading the back to find out what it is about. Lots of cool and intriguing covers out there. Okay, so adding another one to the list - cool titles.

Keep em coming, folks. I'm formulating a plan.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but do kid's books that you read aloud with your child count?

I don't mean little kid's books. I mean, for example, things like:

The Phantom Tollbooth, The Secret Garden, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Pollyanna, Where The Red Fern Grows, Tuck Everlasting and things of that nature....?

Edited by NanceXToo

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but do kid's books that you read aloud with your child count?

I don't mean little kid's books. I mean, for example, things like:

The Phantom Tollbooth, The Secret Garden, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Pollyanna, Where The Red Fern Grows, Tuck Everlasting and things of that nature....?

i'm in and I hope I don't forget about it like I did last year. I do have a question, does literature i'm prereading for the kids count?

If you want those books to count toward your goal of reading 52 books, then yes. But they should have some substance like Nance mentioned.

I'd love to do it again even though I petered out in August (I've been reading, just not *finishing* anything :glare:) I want to finish the second half of History of the Ancient World this year, though, and don't see accomplishing both.

I have it and just never got around to reading it. Will have to put it on the list for this year. We should include a well educated mind mini challenge. Will have to figure out how that will work. Thanks for the idea.

I have it and just never got around to reading it. Will have to put it on the list for this year. We should include a well educated mind mini challenge. Will have to figure out how that will work. Thanks for the idea.

I'm in, and would love a WEM mini-challenge. I'm almost through History of the Ancient World, but got bogged down with life.

I will warn everyone, I will fail miserably as well, but it's always good to try!

I'm in again too! How fun!

How does one get a little 52 in 52 logo on their blog?

Morning. Go to the 52 books blog and the blog widget is in the sidebar. Right hand click and save the image. Then you should be able to upload it to your blog.

I'm in.

I was also thinking about trying to read one book a month that has over 1000 pages in it. I would have to make a list to see if there are 12 books with over a thousand pages in them to see if they are ones I want to read.

Lots of classics fit the bill. Chunksters can run from 500 to over 1000 pages. Some include Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace and Anna Karenina or books like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Or Non Fiction like History of the Ancient World. I'm sure you'll find a few.

I'm in.

I was also thinking about trying to read one book a month that has over 1000 pages in it. I would have to make a list to see if there are 12 books with over a thousand pages in them to see if they are ones I want to read.

Les Miserables is one of my favorite "big" books, unabridged.

As far as audio books go, do abridged versions count? I don't usually listen to them if I can help it, but there were a couple I was looking at were the abridged was better than the unabridged.

I'm so weird. Am I the only one who keeps wanting to pick up a book and then going "Oh, no, I should save that for the 52 weeks thing, it's only a couple of weeks away" ....?

...Yeah?

Sigh.

I thought so.

:lol:

No. I'm doing that too.

:eek: Wait...

I mean I'm following other priorities for this month.

Yeah. That's it. :D

Les Miserables is one of my favorite "big" books, unabridged.

As far as audio books go, do abridged versions count? I don't usually listen to them if I can help it, but there were a couple I was looking at were the abridged was better than the unabridged.

Abridged or unabridged are acceptable. Almost anything is acceptable so have fun.

I'm so weird. Am I the only one who keeps wanting to pick up a book and then going "Oh, no, I should save that for the 52 weeks thing, it's only a couple of weeks away" ....?

...Yeah?

Sigh.

I thought so.

:lol:

Right now I call this concentrating on Christmas - sewing and cooking must get done and are seriously taking away from my reading time:toetap05:

I'm so in.

Even though I'll probably fail miserably at the mini-challenges, since most of my reading ends up being non-fiction, history related. Unless it's summer, or winter break, or spring break, during which I get to read anything I want! :D

But last summer alone I think I finished 50 some books.... can I count more than one book a week? :tongue_smilie: