Menu

Designer Handbags

Maybe I am just cheap, but I cannot fathom spending $200, $300 or more on a purse. If I spend $70 it is because I had a gift card or it was on sale and normally more expensive. I have one designer bag that was a gift, but I don't use it often because everytime I do someone makes a comment and I feel the need to explain that I did not buy it!

So, I am just curious why anyone spends that much on a purse? I know someone who has several, but she often complains of being broke. Well duh! Sell your bags!

I don't see any reason to buy something that expensive. I'm just a stay at home mom of 3 so what would that do for me anyways! I usually spend about $20 at Walmart. :) I could think of a ton of other things to spend that kind of money on!!! :)

If a person has enough money to buy something without actually being broke (many people complain about being broke but their definition and mine is world's apart) then it's not even on my radar. I would hope that the materials and craftmanship would make them durable. I really am broke so I have no way of knowing this firsthand, though.

I don't normally notice either, but yesterday I saw a purse that had Dooney & Bourke written all over it. It wasn't even nice, just shouting out the designer. I have a very pretty bag from etsy from a small designer, but no one would know it and I don't care.

A friend of mine carries an expensive Coach purse that her husband gave her as a gift. She always explains that she didn't ask for or buy it, and that it's so well-made she has used it for ten years, so it was really a bargain. Her humility is one of the reasons we're such good friends. :)

A friend of mine carries an expensive Coach purse that her husband gave her as a gift. She always explains that she didn't ask for or buy it, and that it's so well-made she has used it for ten years, so it was really a bargain. Her humility is one of the reasons we're such good friends. :)

Well that makes sense, but I know people who own several and it is for appearances, matching an outfit etc. Buying one that will last ten years and using it for ten years makes more sense.

I can see spending some money on something that is a classic that will always be in style and that is extremely well made and durable. Not only would it be attractive and utilitarian, but the quality of the workmanship would make the investment worth it over the years. I have bought many cheap purses at Target, Walmart etc that only fall apart after a year or so. If I'm spending around 30-40 bucks a pop on a purse and it lasts me a year to a year and a half versus spending 200- 300 dollars on a well made quality crafted bag that will last decades in the long run it would be the better value although more expensive initially. I myself have never purchased an expensive bag like that, but I could see it being a good investment in the situation that I just described. What I don't get is the crappy ones that are made out of cheap materials that cost like 900 dollars. I saw a Prada bag in BJ's club once that was small and made out of nylon and it was like 700 dollars! :huh:

I just got my first designer bag-a Coach. I got it at an outlet store for $179. Before that I'd never spent more than $45 on a bag. Ever. My Coach bag was an early Christmas gift from dh.:)

I was unsure about getting it but dh talked me into it. Here's why-it will last way, way longer than my $40 bags! In fact, I just spent $45 on a Liz Claiborne bag a few months ago and it's already looking bad with the stitching starting to come loose.

With my new Coach, if the stitching comes loose guess what? I can take it to a Coach store and they will send in off to be repaired with the only cost to me being shipping. If they can't fix it, they'll give me a gift card for a new bag.

So, in actuality my Coach is a better value as I normal buy 3-4 bags per year which would end up costing me the same as my one Coach which should last me years and years.

Oh, I also bought a very classic brown bag that is for every day use.:)

I have a girlfriend who easily spends 500 on a bag and she has TONS. But she's a professional NICU nurse with a masters and makes that kind of $.

Me? I have NO purse fashion sense. Black leather and I'm good to go. But I DO buy good purses. Just all black.

Edited by justamouse

I think it's reasonable if you have the money and want something that will last a long time. My mom has a Dooney & Bourke purse that was easily $300, but she used it every single day for over 15 years and it is still in fantastic shape. That seems like a pretty good deal to me :)

Once I find one that I like enough to carry everyday, I'll probably do the same thing :)

I was unsure about getting it but dh talked me into it. Here's why-it will last way, way longer than my $40 bags! In fact, I just spent $45 on a Liz Claiborne bag a few months ago and it's already looking bad with the stitching starting to come loose.

With my new Coach, if the stitching comes loose guess what? I can take it to a Coach store and they will send in off to be repaired with the only cost to me being shipping. If they can't fix it, they'll give me a gift card for a new bag.

So, in actuality my Coach is a better value as I normal buy 3-4 bags per year which would end up costing me the same as my one Coach which should last me years and years.

Oh, I also bought a very classic brown bag that is for every day use.:)

Yup. You have them for YEARS.

I say, "Support the economy!" For those who can afford such bags, get that money in the system. For the rest of us, try complimenting people who carry lots of them and they might just give you one they don't use anymore. Most never wear them out! Otherwise, go for the knock-off or the backpack as I personally prefer!

I have been carrying 'initialed' bags for years -- probably before dd31 was born. The brand I carry (and I have no problem switching to different designers if a bag catches my eye) gets, imo, better looking with age and use.

I think I carried my first one for 4 or 5 years (I cannot be bothered switching handbags every day or every week or every outfit) -- 33 years ago, it cost $120. which was ALOT of money for a handbag. I replaced it with the same designer, different style, and that bag cost $140. I carried that one for about 4 years.

If I didn't like them, I wouldn't carry them -- if they didn't wear well, I wouldn't like them.

Their price right now is considerably more than I am comfortable spending, BUT they can purchased at consignment shops for $400-$500 - and if I'm going to carry it for 4 or 5 more years, it makes sense to me.

I have an apple green purse I spent 40.00 on over 5 years ago. I still carry it. Recently I bought a 60.00 purse after debating for days about it. It's in line with our budget.

However, I did get a very expensive messenger bag for my birthday one year. It's from Saddleback Leather. It will never wear out as long as I live.

I love good quality high-end leather bags. I am also a deal-lover. I love my Kate Spade bag that was normally over $500.00 that I snagged for $150, and my Botkier for about the same. I like Coach leather bags, but not the initial bags -- and lately, their CS has been horrific!

I think spending a few hundred on a purse is great -- my sister spends 30 at Target and has to pitch them every season. I spend $150 or $200 and have a bag that will last for years!

I have an apple green purse I spent 40.00 on over 5 years ago. I still carry it. Recently I bought a 60.00 purse after debating for days about it. It's in line with our budget.

However, I did get a very expensive messenger bag for my birthday one year. It's from Saddleback Leather. It will never wear out as long as I live.

That is stunning!

LOL-I guess I am in the minority. I get bored with my bags after a year so maybe that is why I can't see using the same one for years and years. I could buy a more expensive one, but I'd rather buy books :)

I've been using my bag for a few years and love it, but it cost $80. I think it's all about different priorities. If I thought I'd use a bag for a long time I might buy it. I am pretty fickle, too normally. :D

Well, I like my bags and have a closet full of expensive ones. They last for a long time and look great for a long time. I don't buy initial bags (not my style), but more classic bags that will last. I do have a few trendy ones, but I mostly go for solid colors. I like leather bags. I don't eat cows, but I'll sure wear their skin on my feet and cart it around on my shoulder. ;) I would NEVER apologize for having one or explain where it came from. If someone commented about how we could afford for me to have it (which we can), I'd think they were rude and tell them it's none of their business.

When we were in Italy a few months ago I came back with 3 new bags (Prada and Gucci) for me and a gorgeous bag (Prada) that I sent my mom as a birthday gift. She LOVES it and tells everyone what a good daughter I am.

Dare I admit this...

Many moons ago, when I was single and doing very well with my job, I was a "purse snob". I only bought Coach. While in NYC with my mom, I bought a $500 Coach wallet and a $500 Coach purse at the Coach store on 5th Avenue. This was maybe 10-11 years ago and I thought I was really cool:tongue_smilie: (it all went well with my Gucci watch!). I still use the wallet. The purse was used for a few years and currently resides in my closet.

TODAY, I use the purses my mom hands down to me. She usually buys a new purse every other month-ish, so I get a nice new purse - if I like it!! And I don't wear a watch but I use the Gucci watch on special occasions.

Edited by MissKNG
typo

Well, I like my bags and have a closet full of expensive ones. They last for a long time and look great for a long time. I don't buy initial bags (not my style), but more classic bags that will last. I do have a few trendy ones, but I mostly go for solid colors. I like leather bags. I don't eat cows, but I'll sure wear their skin on my feet and cart it around on my shoulder. ;) I would NEVER apologize for having one or explain where it came from. If someone commented about how we could afford for me to have it (which we can), I'd think they were rude and tell them it's none of their business.

When we were in Italy a few months ago I came back with 3 new bags (Prada and Gucci) for me and a gorgeous bag (Prada) that I sent my mom as a birthday gift. She LOVES it and tells everyone what a good daughter I am.

Owning a Prada bag is on my bucket list :lol: -- I keep it on my perpetual "wish list," but so far DH hasn't come through :D. I keep my fingers crossed...

I have a black leather (no initials all over the place) Coach bag that I paid $500 for. I had one previous to this one that I carried for eight years. I anticipate carrying this one that long as well. I, too, am one who does NOT bother with changing out handbags. I wear black so often that it is rarely an issue anyway.

I agree with Mom in High Heels. I cannot abide by people making comments about how I choose to spend my money. Those comments only go one way. You don't hear people saying, "I can't believe you'd spend so LITTLE on a purse." You only hear, "I can't believe you'd spend so MUCH on a purse." It's nobody's beeswax.

I use $20 bags from Target... purses and shoes are something I have never gotten into. BUT... dh got me a Snaptotes.com purse with my kids on it (about $80) a couple years ago and this purse is like gold to me :001_smile:. Even thought the kids are older now, I still love to carry that purse when the kids aren't with me. I get so many compliments on it.

I'd love to have a Brighton! :drool5: I carry a Coach knock-off. I like it because it's big and it looks like I paid a lot for it, but it's a hand-me-down from my SIL. If I had the money, I'd spend a few hundred on a good purse, but I don't. My curriculum habit is too close to crisis level for me to drop that kind of money on purses. :D

I've been using my bag for a few years and love it, but it cost $80. I think it's all about different priorities. If I thought I'd use a bag for a long time I might buy it. I am pretty fickle, too normally. :D

I had a backpack style that was hard leather by Liz Claiborne - I used a Macy's gift card to pay for most of it and I used it for over 2 years and it finally fell apart. Loved it, but I only paid about $20 out of pocket for it and that was the best part!

I have a black leather (no initials all over the place) Coach bag that I paid $500 for. I had one previous to this one that I carried for eight years. I anticipate carrying this one that long as well. I, too, am one who does NOT bother with changing out handbags. I wear black so often that it is rarely an issue anyway.

I agree with Mom in High Heels. I cannot abide by people making comments about how I choose to spend my money. Those comments only go one way. You don't hear people saying, "I can't believe you'd spend so LITTLE on a purse." You only hear, "I can't believe you'd spend so MUCH on a purse." It's nobody's beeswax.

You know, you are so right. I need to stop apologizing for what I have and use. I fall into that all the time, and I have no need to feel guilty.

Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Well, I like my bags and have a closet full of expensive ones. They last for a long time and look great for a long time. I would NEVER apologize for having one or explain where it came from. If someone commented about how we could afford for me to have it (which we can), I'd think they were rude and tell them it's none of their business.

I love my handbags, too! (Sounds like we have similar taste, although I do have some with the initials on them. One of my Vuitton bags is about a million years old now, but it wore like iron, and so did the Guccis! The Chanels... not so much. :glare:)

My mom and I used to buy each other handbags all the time. Since she passed away, it hasn't been as much fun shopping for them (although it's not like I've quit cold turkey or anything!) It was always more fun buying them for Mom than for myself, and she always picked out the perfect things for me.

Cat

I could not bring myself to spend that kind of money on something I throw on the floor and is filled with all sorts of junk from receipts to crumbs (no idea how they get in there), and dirty coins. I guess I just don't take good enough care of mine:)

I get the crumbs, too. I never put food in there, so all I can figure is that they just magically appear. And there's always that one sticky nickel that sticks to the lining in the bottom. I don't know why... ;)

Cat

I'm going to be honest. I'm NOT a materialistic person (I have a materialistic family, or had:crying:and materialism does NOT impress me!!!) and I'm NOT a purse person. But for what ever reason, I've always wanted a Dooney and Bourke bag since I saw a purple one with the different colored DB's and zipper. I've wanted one for years. I finally got one in black, and I love it so much that I may get one in white to use May - Sept. But really, I'm not a purse person. If it's cute, I'd buy it, especially if it wasn't too pricey. But........... maybe it's a midlife crisis. It's the ONLY designer bag I've ever wanted. I've had Coach but I'm not impressed. The ones I've had the most are Fossil.

Until My D&B.

I don't normally notice either, but yesterday I saw a purse that had Dooney & Bourke written all over it. It wasn't even nice, just shouting out the designer. I have a very pretty bag from etsy from a small designer, but no one would know it and I don't care.

:lol::lol::lol: See, mine has the D&B's all over it, not full name, and that was a huge selling point for me. I love the multi colors in the letters and zippers. I just LOVE my D&B bag. With most things I own, it's all about color. So the multi colored letters I love, but the first time I saw the bag I finally got, I didn't know what D&B was. I just loved the bag.:001_smile:

I'm going to be honest. I'm NOT a materialistic person (I have a materialistic family, or had:crying:and materialism does NOT impress me!!!) and I'm NOT a purse person. But for what ever reason, I've always wanted a Dooney and Bourke bag since I saw a purple one with the different colored DB's and zipper. I've wanted one for years. I finally got one in black, and I love it so much that I may get one in white to use May - Sept. But really, I'm not a purse person. If it's cute, I'd buy it, especially if it wasn't too pricey. But........... maybe it's a midlife crisis. It's the ONLY designer bag I've ever wanted. I've had Coach but I'm not impressed. The ones I've had the most are Fossil.

Until My D&B.

Marshalls and TJMaxx get quite a few D&B bags, and some Coach bags, too (if you get lucky.) I think many of them are QVC's leftover merchandise. I've also gotten some nice Dooney stuff as QVC TSVs. I like their totes.

I had a Fossil bag years ago, and I used it as a bookbag. I couldn't kill that thing, and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. I could never believe how durable it was.

Cat

My bf used the SAME Coach bag for so many years that I can't even tell you how long she used it. It WAS expensive but it ended up being very cheap in the long run. I seriously doubt the new cloth Coach bags are durable.

:lol::lol::lol: See, mine has the D&B's all over it, not full name, and that was a huge selling point for me. I love the multi colors in the letters and zippers. I just LOVE my D&B bag. With most things I own, it's all about color. So the multi colored letters I love, but the first time I saw the bag I finally got, I didn't know what D&B was. I just loved the bag.:001_smile:

I think I know which style you have -- very striking! I have the same thing in white with all of the multi-colored D&Bs on it, but mine is a really tiny one. Not a wristlet, but only a size or two up from that. I bought it when I hurt my shoulder and couldn't lug around a big bag.

I think the black ones are prettier than the white ones, but it was summer (and the one I got was on clearance at Marshall's, so I couldn't be too picky about it!)

Cat

I seriously doubt the new cloth Coach bags are durable.

I have a fabric one and it's amazing how nicely it cleans up. I was very surprised. You'd think it would fall to pieces or get lots of pulls, but it honestly doesn't.

I just bought three of the fabric cosmetic bags as part of the Estee Lauder Holiday sets, and I hope they last for me. (They are so cute!)

Cat

Marshalls and TJMaxx get quite a few D&B bags, and some Coach bags, too (if you get lucky.) I think many of them are QVC's leftover merchandise. I've also gotten some nice Dooney stuff as QVC TSVs. I like their totes.

I had a Fossil bag years ago, and I used it as a bookbag. I couldn't kill that thing, and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. I could never believe how durable it was.

Cat

I bought THE CUTEST little Fossil bag on clearance in September for $25! I just love it, as does dd11. If I don't use it for a year, I'll give it to her.

I saw the purple D&B that I *loved* at TJMaxx but couldn't afford it at the time. Now they're discontinued. :glare: Oh well. I'm not one to be transferring my purses. I use one for the entire season, and my D&B can be used if I dress up. I do feel stupid using it if I am going to an outdoor event in jeans and a sweatshirt, but I just won't transfer my stuff. Lazy I guess.:tongue_smilie:

I could never carry a purse that is worth more than the money I have in it. LOL

I don't care for the stiff leather of most Coach and definitely don't like initial bags.

I do like quality, soft leather and usually spend $50-100 on a bag. I have had several Fossil purses that I like. I am very picky and it often takes me a year or so to find a replacement bag, so each purse lasts me 2-3 years.

I buy bags I like, without regard for price or brand. If it looks right, functions right - I get it. I don't care if it is Prada or Old Navy, and I have several of each in my stash. Last week I paid $12 at Ross for a small, cloth messenger bag to use at work. Today I paid $800 for a Ghurka leather backpack to use for several plane trips we have planned for the next year. I don't buy designer bags for the designer aspect, and I don't avoid generic bags because of the generic aspect. Either one would be pretty silly, IMO.

I do appreciate finer products, but I think many "designer" bags these days are mid-level quality that have simply been branded brilliantly and mas(ter)-marketed. These are the ones I see most people coveting, and I think it's an interesting display of the psychology of marketing. It definitely suckers all of us, at some point and in one form or another!

I just bought whatever for purses until I found one of these Levenger leather book bags at a gargage sale for $1. It was still in good condition--just nicely worn in.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=11-843|Level=2-3|pageid=5998

Since then I've gone for nice leather purses. Truthfully it's not the look, but the feel of the leather that I like and the fact that they hold up because I don't like the fuss of changing. I've never paid full price--my mom sometimes buys them from the store she works at when they're on sale. And last week I found a Fossil messenger bag for $25 at Macy's.

My bf used the SAME Coach bag for so many years that I can't even tell you how long she used it. It WAS expensive but it ended up being very cheap in the long run. I seriously doubt the new cloth Coach bags are durable.

I don't know what the durability is now of Coach; I refuse to patronize them any longer. If you look inside on the patch, you'll see that they have switched their manufacturing to China. They used to be made in the US. My old ones (got them as gifts) say "US". And yes, they are over 10 years old & still in great shape.

a

I could never carry a purse that is worth more than the money I have in it. LOL

:iagree: I say this all the time!

Right now Coach bags are all the rage around here, especially among the younger wives in our little military town. I seriously doubt the reason they buy them is because it has lasted them 15 years or so, because that would have meant they were 5 when they bought their first purse. (and some of them have several!)

My biggest pet peeve? Waiting in line at the commissary or WalMart while the woman in front of me pulls out her WIC checks....out of her $300 Coach purse. In my opinion, if you need WIC, then the Coach purse is probably not an appropriate thing to have in your budget. Grrr....:angry:

You know, you are so right. I need to stop apologizing for what I have and use. I fall into that all the time, and I have no need to feel guilty.

Thanks for the kick in the pants.

I LOVE DESIGNER PURSES and I don't feel one bit guilty about it (and my dh thinks it is sexy) !!! I have owned many Coach purses over the years and they are FABULOUS and they hold their value! When I get bored with it I sell it on ebay and buy a new one. Right now I am in a Cole Haan phase. :D

I LOVE DESIGNER PURSES and I don't feel one bit guilty about it (and my dh thinks it is sexy) !!! I have owned many Coach purses over the years and they are FABULOUS and they hold their value! When I get bored with it I sell it on ebay and buy a new one. Right now I am in a Cole Haan phase. :D

One year my mom gave me a handbag for Christmas and when I unwrapped it she enthusiastically told me it was a Cole Haan...which meant absolutely nothing to me. Eventually my regular bag gave out and I switched over to it. Lovely leather but it didn't have a clasp or zipper so the contents were constantly spilling out. I was glad when it wore out enough for me to not feel guilty about abandoning it.

One year my mom gave me a handbag for Christmas and when I unwrapped it she enthusiastically told me it was a Cole Haan...which meant absolutely nothing to me. Eventually my regular bag gave out and I switched over to it. Lovely leather but it didn't have a clasp or zipper so the contents were constantly spilling out. I was glad when it wore out enough for me to not feel guilty about abandoning it.

I have never heard of Cole Haan. The bag I received as a gift is a Gucci and it is plain black. Maybe I could use it more and just not give a rip if someone says something.

I agree with Mom in High Heels. I cannot abide by people making comments about how I choose to spend my money. Those comments only go one way. You don't hear people saying, "I can't believe you'd spend so LITTLE on a purse." You only hear, "I can't believe you'd spend so MUCH on a purse."

Not in my case. :glare:

I buy inexpensive purses or take hand me downs from my mom. Usually I just use a a diaper bag as a purse and my diaper bag is the free one the nice people from Similac gave me for having a baby. Or the denim I got for $1 at a garage sale.

I get comments all the time about how cheap, functional(read ugly), and boring my bags are.

I have friends and family that spends $$$ on nice purses and I don't care. I don't understand the appeal and I couldn't spend that kind of money on one anyway. I ALWAYS ooh and ahh over their purses when they want to show them off and have never said a word about how much they spend. I still get the comments.