Menu

I wish there was a forum for 6-8 grades only

Granny_Weatherwax

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there are so many of us moms who have a wide age range that I think there would still be plenty of veterans on a Grammar stage board. By the time my 3rd child starts kindergarten, I will have presumably been homeschooling for 9 years. And I know there are those who have been HS a dozen or more years who still have grammar stage kiddos.

:iagree:

Why can't we give it a trial run and see what happens? A new Logic Stage(5-8) forum could be opened for three-six months and we could see what would happen to the k-8 board. If there are dramatic changes in use then we could address why. My guess is that there would be a slight slow down but not to the extent that most people are thinking.

What about a subforum like the College forum under High School?

I like the idea of using GS, LS, RS (grammar stage, logic stage, rhetoric stage) before post titles.

I understand that desire, but I confess that I kind of like this forum the way it is--I'm on another forum that is so divided up into groups that the traffic has become slow, and only a few people go back and visit other forums--so you lose a lot of the experienced voices by dividing up. I've been wishing that one was NOT so divided!

Merry :-)

:iagree: Because we have graduated one ds, I rarely go to the high school boards, and if I had only middle or high schoolers, I would rarely go to the K-4 board. I think the benefits outweigh the annoyances.

I love the elementary homeschoolers but I don't like having to search through 100+ threads on elementary homeschooling to find one thread about middle school. There is sucha big difference between homeschooling K and homeschooling 7th and 8th. Why, oh why can't we have our own little forum????

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I think it could be done, could work for everyone. It just needs some logistical tweaking. I would find it extremely useful.

I can't help right now, though, D.A., I have to knit scarves for stuffed toys (see my general board post ;))

One quick thought - not sure if someone has mentioned this: If it runs as a sub-board to the curric board, then the middle-school parents would know to look on the sub-board, right? THAT works for me - I find the phonics, handwriting, reading threads for pre-k through 3 cumbersome to wade through and in all fairness to the moms who need info in that range, I've been away from it for so long, I am not comfortable sharing as there are others who are much more current than me. I also get a little sad

(sniff) when I see those threads b/c I will not be doing that level of homeschooling again and it is a little sad for me.

I guess I just hit new posts and then hover over the thread to see if it says, struggling with teaching my pre-schooler algebra or what not, I don't click.

But I will come no matter how this place is sliced! It's all good!

:lol::lol::lol:

I would have to agree with the pp's though, and would love posts divided by stages.

Honestly, whether there was a separate board or sub-forum for 6-8, I really would stop going to the younger board. I don't like wading through the posts and now only drift in and out when I don't have anything else to do. But lots of time, I don't respond to the younger posts anyway. I'm past that stage and don't feel confident enough with most of the material to have an opinion on it anyway.:tongue_smilie:

I'd probably participate more on a grade 6 - 8 board. And just MHO, it wouldn't matter if it was called grade or logic, it would still be the same thing.

Honestly, whether there was a separate board or sub-forum for 6-8, I really would stop going to the younger board. I don't like wading through the posts and now only drift in and out when I don't have anything else to do. But lots of time, I don't respond to the younger posts anyway. I'm past that stage and don't feel confident enough with most of the material to have an opinion on it anyway.:tongue_smilie:

I'd probably participate more on a grade 6 - 8 board. And just MHO, it wouldn't matter if it was called grade or logic, it would still be the same thing.

I only have the one child and now that we are at the logic stage, I have no interest in posts about phonics or beginning math. I also don't visit much here, because it is hard to wade through all the posts to find the stuff just about logic stage.

I only have the one child and now that we are at the logic stage, I have no interest in posts about phonics or beginning math. I also don't visit much here, because it is hard to wade through all the posts to find the stuff just about logic stage.

Yes, before my youngest was doing school work I spent most of my time over at the high school board when my older two were logic stage.

Great idea! Hope it comes to fruition!

I think some of us with logic stage dc would be more active if we could interact more specifically on topics that are pertinent. It's in some ways a scary transition, and I'd love for there to be more activity amongst logic stage parents!

I don't think it would slow down traffic-I'm already starting to haunt the HS board to see what's coming up, and would still go on K-4 for younger ds. I think most people have dc on a couple or few levels.

I also think a grammar/logic/rhetoric split is a great idea. This is a large forum, and having ONE extra forum would not make that much of a difference in traffic. If you were to split it into each individual grade, then yes, that would be ridiculous and cause a huge slowdown in traffic, but having one forum for the logic stage separate from the grammar stage makes sense to me, just like there is already one for the rhetoric stage.

Most of the people posting on the grammar stage threads appear to have grammar stage children. It is probably a small handful of people posting about a stage that their children are no longer in, and those people may still lurk the board anyway if they want to continue to give advice.

I find myself being drawn to the high school boards, and then when I get there I FREAK OUT!!!

:lol:

Okay, that cracked me right up.

Meh. To be honest, I like it the way it is, because I've got kids at each level, but I wouldn't mind changing things to stages. I definitely *don't* like the idea of separating the boards by grade level. After all, how many people have kids doing one grade of math, another of language arts, etc.? I suspect more people would find themselves straddling multiple boards, caught betwixt and between. We'd also have a lot more cross-posting than we do now, as people posted questions to multiple boards to reach a broader audience.

I would love to see a logic stage forum or sub-forum. The K-8 forum moves pretty quickly, and it can be wearying to weed through to find topics relevant to middle school. Perhaps a subforum, like the college sub-forum on the high school forum, would be the route to go.

I still have kiddos in K and 1st, so I can't imagine completely ditching the grammar stage board. I wouldn't want to miss out any new curriculum news! :lol:

I've also started to suspect that there are more people hs'ing K-4, when kids are smaller, cuter, & doing less difficult work. I think middle school (logic stage) is where people will *begin* to feel lonely in their journey as many friends drop out of the hs'ing world.

As far as the younger threads...I didn't really *like* teaching reading, counting, etc. I have unpopular views on those things & no agenda to push them. :lol:

So, yeah, I think a logic stage board would be awesome. :D

I think middle school (logic stage) is where people will *begin* to feel lonely in their journey as many friends drop out of the hs'ing world.

....So, yeah, I think a logic stage board would be awesome. :D

:iagree: We have lost so many of our homeschooling friends at this age. I'd love a logic stage board, and would still frequent the k-4 group too.

I find myself being drawn to the high school boards, and then when I get there I FREAK OUT!!!

:iagree: I was just over there and came high-tailing it back over here-lol!

I think I am trying to spend time there because there is not enough chatter here amongst logic stagers, and that is what I am craving! I think a logic stage board would really help that.

I saw the title of this thread and honestly thought, "Yeah, yeah, yeah,been there, asked for that, heard why it wouldn't happen." As I became more familiar with the forums, I enjoyed "stumbling" across information. I could see the wisdom in the current layout. Sadly, I'm not sure what has happened in the past 6 months, but I find that I have little patience for the K-8 board. It takes too darn long to find something of value, even with the search option. That's probably because some of the best info I have come across wasn't necessarily tied to a specific topic. Shoot! I can't even find the usual group of posters I traded middle school tips with.

I am homeschooling a 7th grader and a 12th grader, so I find that I have gravitated to the high school board. It's not just because I now have a high schooler at home, but because I find that board more manageable.

I am not sure what the answer is.

:iagree: I was just over there and came high-tailing it back over here-lol!

I think I am trying to spend time there because there is not enough chatter here amongst logic stagers, and that is what I am craving! I think a logic stage board would really help that.

Even though I have a high schooler, this is exactly the reason I am on the high school board even for the 7th grader.

I like the idea of a split into grammar/logic/rhetoric also.

About the possiblilty of the board slowing down... is that always a bad thing? How often have you posted something only to have it be buried before anyone ever answers it and you have to hunt it down to try to bump it back up to being seen?

Almost all of the parents that I generally go to with questions about logic-stage kids now hang out on the HS board, so that's where I am most of the time as well, even though I have a middle-schooler and a 3rd grader.

It's very difficult to have a real conversation about serious topics (not just "Tell me about CLE math...") on the K8 board. It moves too fast, and potentially good discussions tend to end up on page 7 before many people even have a chance to look in. On the HS board, you can post a question and know that everyone will see it because it will still be in the first 3 pages or so for the next day or two. The threads tend to be longer and more conducive to real discussion and conversation, so that's where I hang out. I don't think having a separate Logic Stage board would really take that much traffic away from the Grammar board, because I don't think that many logic stage parents are hanging out there now anyway.

Jackie

I like the idea of keeping the K-8 board together as one, but adding icons to designate G, L, or R stages. Those little icons down at the bottom of the page when you're typing a reply and/or new message? Right there - add a G, L, and R! Those show up with the topic headings, so it would be easy to tell which grades the thread applies to.