Menu

Tell me that I'm making the right decision...or not..lol

My dd7 (only child) is being bullied pretty bad at homeschool co-op and other social outtings we take with this one family. It's one boy that's 1 year older than her that's instigating and then it's another girl that joins in. I really really believe she is being verbally abused. I could offer up 20 things just in this last month that support what I'm seeing. The mom is all "Joe, don't do that, you are being rude." The other mother's are blaming the problems on my daughter being that she is an only and doesn't know how to act around other kids. I have many families outside of co-op that would argue with that (and have). My dd7 is far from perfect, but generally wants everybody to just get along. She is so soft hearted, she doesn't see half of what's happening as bad b/c she can't believe her 'friends' would treat her that way.

A couple of examples: We were going on a field trip. My dd asked this boy to sit next to her in the car. He told her "I don't want to have anything to do with you, I will not sit next to you, I would rather sit by myself in the back of the van." (no...mom didn't say anything.) I just told my dd that she was better off in the front by herself anyway, she could see the tv better.

Another time, my dd (trying to make conversation with him..find something in common with him) was trying to tell this boy about her 'collections.' (she collects bugs, rocks, leaves, flowers, etc) She preceded to try to tell him about her most prized possesions. He looked at me and said, "Will you tell her to shut up. I'm tired of hearing her talk and I have no interest in anything she is saying." I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself. I told him that she is trying to find something in common with him and she is just making conversation. He spent the next 10 minutes arguing with me about why he didn't care about what she was talking about. Mom didn't step in.

It has gotten physical (minor) a couple of times. Pegging her with rocks, hitting her with a bag that had a book in it..busted her lip.

Anyway...I'm friends with this mom. She is a great lady.

I asked my dd today if she enjoyed co-op, and she said not as long as he is there (he is always there.) I asked her if she wanted to continue to go. She said no...she doesn't like how he makes her feel and she wanted to be done. I respect her decision. I'm sad though....there is 3 friendships that I know I'll have to be done with when I cut these ties. There are no other groups in the area to involve her in either. :(

This is getting progressively worse. I gave my daughter tools to avoid this kid...go find another girl to play with. It backfired today. The other girl joined in on the teasing. (calling my daughter mean and that nobody should play with her.)

I promise I just don't have mommy goggles on. My dd has NO problems with a lot of other families that don't have anything to do with co-op. I have talked to numerous other people and made sure I was seeing this objectively and that it wasn't my dd causing the problems. Everybody agreed that my dd is (mostly) a sweet little girl that just wants to be friends with everybody. She's not a brat, she's not 'spoiled', she's not hard to get along with. She goes with the flow.

I'm so sad tonight though. Make no mistake that my dd is my top priority here...I'm just sad to be loosing our social outlet (such as it was)....it was as much for me as it was for her.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Gotta say, I'm not finding the mom so "great." :glare:

Tell her directly what's going on and that your daughter doesn't want to continue socializing with them. If she's really your friend, she'll take your concerns seriously and discipline her son. If she doesn't, you're right - your daughter is your priority and you should drop this family like a bad habit.

You're Dd welfare should be number one so you have to protect her physically and emotionally. Perhaps there is another group in the area or you can find her some other social outlet like ballet, gymnastics. Do you have a YMCA? Check and see what activities they offer. We only belonged to a co-op for 2 years and my children were fine when we stopped. We just made sure they had other outlets and we did some fun things together like go bowling, see a museum, have picnics etc.

?

Ummmm, no she's not. If she were a great lady, she wouldn't allow her son to do those things/speak that way to your daughter, or to you. I think you are mourning the loss of your time w/ other adults. Do what's right for your dd.

Have you talked to the mom? I would tell her in no uncertain terms that the way her child is behaving is unacceptable, and that you're thinking of quitting coop because of it. I don't think it's fair that you are being forced to leave the coop because of her son's bad behavior.

That said, if she doesn't address the issue then yes, I would leave.

I would take her out of the co-op. I would also tell her not to pursue friendships with people like that. And personally, I would not pursue a friendship with the mom.

Why do the other 3 friendships have to be done? If they are true friends they should be able to still be friends. If not, all the more reason to leave that group.

At seven years old, I'd probably address the issue with the other mom (if I considered her my friend). Even if your dd was a snot (and it doesn't sound like she is), that mom might need to know how her son is responding so she can redirect his...errors. And, considering your dd is not rude and is just wanting to be friendly, and it *is* an outlet for you as well as her, I think it's worth mentioning. I mean, maybe it's not you that needs to leave, kwim? If mom is unwilling to work with her son, then perhaps it's her place to leave, not yours. And if mom is willing to work with her son, then the avalanche will be avoided. And I still think your dd should avoid him in favor of other, nicer kids.

Gotta say, I'm not finding the mom so "great." :glare:

Tell her directly what's going on and that your daughter doesn't want to continue socializing with them. If she's really your friend, she'll take your concerns seriously and discipline her son. If she doesn't, you're right - your daughter is your priority and you should drop this family like a bad habit.

:iagree: The mom, and the situation both sound quite horrible.

It has gotten physical (minor) a couple of times. Pegging her with rocks, hitting her with a bag that had a book in it..busted her lip.

Uh...no. No, she is not a great lady if she is aware that her precious little darling is throwing rocks at your dd and busting her lip and yet she does nothing? I don't understand. How did she respond to your dd's busted lip? Was it an accident?

I don't think your dd should have to sit out of co-op. That's not fair. I would request that my child not be seated next to this little boy, not be paired with him for activities, and so forth. If this other parent is such a rockin' gal then she should have no problem with you gently addressing this issue with you.

My oldest dd was in a small, gentle private school until she was 9 (without issue). She was first bullied in a hs group. Bullied? Not quite....bullied and sexually harrassed and threatened? Yes. By a young teen who had been homeschooled all of his life.

We never went back.

Come to find out, our dd was not the only child who had been threatened.

I wouldn't have imagined that my sweet girl would have to face something like this from a fellow hsing family.

Edited by LibraryLover

That boy's mom is not a friend. It is shocking how he is allowed to talk to your daughter and you! That is toxic and I'd be out of that coop in a flash. That sort of disrespect the children are displaying makes me wonder what kind of friends their parents are to your family.

You guys are right about the 'great' part. She is very knowledgeable about some things...and very very helpful if I'm having an academic problem with my daughter. Those things make her 'great'. However, she does nothing to prevent her son from doing those things other than a simple 'slap on the hand.'

Our group is so very small (9 kids total)....it's not all that possible to separate them at co-op. It's pretty much all or none.

I HAVE talked to the mom about it...she just kind of blows it off as childhood antics. The other two mom's are pretty much the same...kids will be kids type of thing.

It is seriously breaking my heart....watching my daughter go through this...AND loosing my friends.

I just got off of the phone with the 'leader'. She is sad that we are leaving and offered to just stop co-op...stop meeting at all..lol I felt bad. I told her NOT to do that. I have no problem with the leader. She lives down the street from me and our kids play well together. There is a quite an age difference though (she has a 5 year old boy and a 15 year old and a 17 year old).

There are no other groups within an hour for us to join. No YMCA or anything.

Thanks for letting me talk this out. I am feeling better about my decision.

PLEASE don't mix this up as my friends are more important than my daughter. This situation has only gotten this bad in the last 6 weeks or so. I have been watching closely to see who the problem...my daughter or him. It's not my daughter that's causing the problems.

Why not use this at a tool to teach the kids in the group. Talk with the moms about setting it up so you can teach the kids how to properly deal with the their feelings when they dont like a child in the group or what to do if they are in a group and they see someone else getting rocks thrown at them. Whether or not you decide this is a healthy group for your daughter to be in is one thing.

Why not use this at a tool to teach the kids in the group. Talk with the moms about setting it up so you can teach the kids how to properly deal with the their feelings when they dont like a child in the group or what to do if they are in a group and they see someone else getting rocks thrown at them. Whether or not you decide this is a healthy group for your daughter to be in is one thing.

You know, we have actually tried that. This one kid though...apparently...doesn't think it applies to him. :(

If you are friends with this mom, you need to talk to her. You need to tell her straight up that the comments her son keeps making to your daughter are coming across as "bullying" and that they are hurting your daughter to the point where she feels like she wants to quit this co-op, and that you REALLY need her to run interference with her son and not let this happen anymore.

You could also talk to whoever is "in charge" of this co-op and see if they will enforce some sort of group policy, too.

And if worse came to worse, I'd say something to that boy myself if his mother didn't, the next time he made some obnoxious comment like that.

But if all else failed, I'd be out of there and looking for (or starting) a different group. I wouldn't let my 7 y/o keep being subjected to things like that.

is he doing this to more than just your daughter?

I wonder if this is happening to him somewhere so he sees it as the acceptable thing to do.

It's just her that has to take his abuse. :( He is a pretty overbearing "I know more than you and I will argue with you about that shade of blue" type of kid..hard to get along with in general. But the only one that is subjected to his bullying is my daughter.

She is the only one for now taking his bullying. Please do whatever you can to make the mom and son aware of this problem... print out this thread and give it to her. He will find someone else to bully; the family needs to discover the cause of his behavior.

You are doing the right thing to keep your dd away from him; she should never have to put up with that nonsense.

How does he talk to his mom? Is he the same infront of her as he is when it is just him and the kids with out her? If he is different kid all to gether why not set up a camera so mom can see what he is like when she is not there and what is is doing to the other kids. I am in the hope of she doesnt realize how his aggressive behavior comes off. I have a very aggressive daughter who in some situations tries to muscle her way in charge and in others where she is the quiet one being the follower and taking commands from the kid in charge. Her and I have had long long conversations and used video of her actions in both situations where I agreed with what she did and I disagreed with what she did and why. It has helped but she doesnt have her halo and wings yet :tongue_smilie:

I would try to get the leader to give the mom an ultimatum like either your son behaves or we will kick you out. If she is offering for someone to take over the group, take it then kick her out. I wouldn't run away because of a boy and his clueless mother. It's moms like this that turn boys into abusive men. Push her out she's the one doing wrong.

I agree with everyone - either talk to the mom or just cut the ties.

If my boys ever, EVER! responded to a child or an adult the way the boy responded to your daughter and you, they'd be set straight immediately. Disrespect, we don't tolerate and neither should you be forced to.

How does he talk to his mom? Is he the same infront of her as he is when it is just him and the kids with out her? If he is different kid all to gether why not set up a camera so mom can see what he is like when she is not there and what is is doing to the other kids. I am in the hope of she doesnt realize how his aggressive behavior comes off. I have a very aggressive daughter who in some situations tries to muscle her way in charge and in others where she is the quiet one being the follower and taking commands from the kid in charge. Her and I have had long long conversations and used video of her actions in both situations where I agreed with what she did and I disagreed with what she did and why. It has helped but she doesnt have her halo and wings yet :tongue_smilie:

I would love to say that she doesn't see the behavior therefore doesn't correct it, but she see's it...almost every single thing he does...she see's (is it see's or sees? LOL) She just chalks it up to it being his personality and there isn't anything she can do about it.

Accepting rude behavior has nothing to do with being an only child. :glare: Sometimes kids can be blunt, but this doesn't sound like the issue, especially if they are throwing things at her.

If the leader is gutsy enough she needs to bring this up to the other mother, especially if your conversations with the mother have led nowhere.

I would try to get the leader to give the mom an ultimatum like either your son behaves or we will kick you out. If she is offering for someone to take over the group, take it then kick her out. I wouldn't run away because of a boy and his clueless mother. It's moms like this that turn boys into abusive men. Push her out she's the one doing wrong.

I agree. I don't see why you all should be the ones to leave. Does your co-op have a policy on how to deal with misbehavior? I agree that if your DD leaves, then he will find another target. Is he 7 also? I can't believe his mother allowed him to argue with you. I have so little tolerance for that.

I'd yank my family out of that situation immediately if I saw that kind of behavior routinely, as you are, even if it were directed at a child not my own. I have almost no patience for cruelty.

NO WAY would I be around that situation with my kid. No way. Frankly, I would lose respect for the parents involved. I'd likely drop the adult friendship as well.

I am willing to bet dad or mom talks like he does at home. Why correct something you are doing at home.

What have the other moms said? The leaders of the group? have you addressed anything with the other girls mom when that child joined in? Is this a large group that you can break off from that age group and go to a different one? OR request that he do that?

I am willing to bet dad or mom talks like he does at home. Why correct something you are doing at home.

What have the other moms said? The leaders of the group? have you addressed anything with the other girls mom when that child joined in? Is this a large group that you can break off from that age group and go to a different one? OR request that he do that?

The other girl's mom is a good friend of mine. We have talked in depth about it. Problem is, it is a 'crush' between her daughter and this boy that started this whole mess. They decided they were 'best friends' and they 'liked each other' (they are both 8). When that mess started is when my daughter...the odd one out...started getting 'abused' (I use that word, because if if I treated her that way or her father, it would be considered abuse..no doubt) by this boy and the girl just joins in.

Anyway, the girls mom and I have talked about it a lot. She still just blows it off as my daughter being the only kid and not knowing how to interact with the other children. I guess when there are 3 kids (the boy started it..the others joined in) calling you mean and that nobody should play with you because of it...she is the one in the wrong b/c she is an only. :confused: Again...I don't have mommy goggles on. I watched the situation today CLOSE. I honestly want to know if my daughter is the one provoking this...b/c everything changes if it is. I even had my mom come and 'observe' today. She was appalled at what they were doing to my girl. It made me even sadder.

We have a co-op tomorrow. I am committed to being there...but my daughter is choosing not to go. It is the last one I will attend.

I have talked to the 'leader' but honestly, this is a group run by all of us. There is no technical leader...no rules...

Oh, and p.s. This boy was kicked out of Montessori school (not sure why). This is why he is homeschooled.

Wow.

I'd quit the co-op without a second glance.

I'd find another social outlet.

No way would I tolerate that kind of behavior towards my children.

:iagree:

I'd also tell the offending child's mother and the leader of the co-op why I was leaving. And I wouldn't let them talk me into coming back.

It sounds to me like maybe your dd isn't picking up on some social cues. Sounds like she likes the boy and wants to be friends with him, but he does NOT want to be friends with her. My son is a chatty fellow, and I see that he annoys the pants off of some people, and usually he annoys every one of his friends at least one time by his talking about things they don't want to hear about. It takes lots of coaching to get him to notice that other people aren't necessarily interested in the same things he is. I wouldn't make my child go to a co-op where he/she felt bad about being there. I might talk to the mom of the boy though and let her know that her son is ostracizing my kid and that's just not cool, there's plenty of room for both of them but he should NOT be turning other kids against her. Where does cooperation come into play if things like that are allowed? Of course, I could be completely wrong about the thought of her not picking up social cues. My oldest had problems respecting other kids boundaries when she was an only and for a while after her brother was born (she was an only for 6 1/2 years).

You don't necessarily 'need' a homeschool co-op either though. You can have your daughter participate in lots of other activities. Honestly, my kids HATE doing classes that are designed for homeschoolers specifically, they'd rather do after school activities with kids who are interested in the activity itself instead of a bunch of kids who are doing it just because they are homeschooled and it's one of the few offerings available during school hours or whatnot. HTH and hugs to both of you.

I have talked to the 'leader' but honestly, this is a group run by all of us. There is no technical leader...no rules...

This is a huge problem - I have been involved in two groups that were run by "everyone" because either no one wanted to be in charge or everyone wanted to be in charge. Never again.

Good for you for leaving - don't look back!

I would politely but directly confront the rude children myself...simply point out when they have said or done something that is not polite or respectful. I've decided I'm done waiting for parents to deal with their kids...if it's a situation with my child, I will speak directly to other people's children with no hesitation. I will defend my own children, and other people's kids are not off limits - if they put them in a group situation, and their kid is a problem for one of mine, I give the other parent one chance to deal with it and if they don't, I do. I would not leave a group that was otherwise working for us because some kid's parent would not deal with it...I would just do it myself. If the other parent gets mad about it, they can leave.

Came back to add ... if the whole group goes along with kids being this rude and really doesn't have a problem with it, I would not want to hang out with the group. But it may be that other parents are just as uncomfortable with it as you are, and that nobody wants to be the first to stand up to the little bully, but that if one parent finally does, others would feel more comfortable doing the same.

Edited by laundrycrisis

It sounds to me like maybe your dd isn't picking up on some social cues. Sounds like she likes the boy and wants to be friends with him, but he does NOT want to be friends with her. My son is a chatty fellow, and I see that he annoys the pants off of some people, and usually he annoys every one of his friends at least one time by his talking about things they don't want to hear about. It takes lots of coaching to get him to notice that other people aren't necessarily interested in the same things he is. I wouldn't make my child go to a co-op where he/she felt bad about being there. I might talk to the mom of the boy though and let her know that her son is ostracizing my kid and that's just not cool, there's plenty of room for both of them but he should NOT be turning other kids against her. Where does cooperation come into play if things like that are allowed? Of course, I could be completely wrong about the thought of her not picking up social cues. My oldest had problems respecting other kids boundaries when she was an only and for a while after her brother was born (she was an only for 6 1/2 years).

You don't necessarily 'need' a homeschool co-op either though. You can have your daughter participate in lots of other activities. Honestly, my kids HATE doing classes that are designed for homeschoolers specifically, they'd rather do after school activities with kids who are interested in the activity itself instead of a bunch of kids who are doing it just because they are homeschooled and it's one of the few offerings available during school hours or whatnot. HTH and hugs to both of you.

You know...if this were her problem, I would have NO problem admitting it. I have given her tools to avoid this boy so that he would not mess with her. Today, we were at the park with him and the other family (the girl he likes), she was minding her own business...the whole time...not doing anything with his boy. He went out of his way to ostracize her. He went to her...while she was off by herself building a sand castle and started in on her. I was watching close...she wasn't even talking to him for about 20 minutes before he started....she was purposefully finding her own thing to do so that she didn't have to mess with him.

I never thought it was ok just to let a co-op idea go period...wow...what a novel idea! Honestly, I was thinking she HAD to be in one. She's around other children a lot. She's in dance, piano, art, etc. I think having access to other homeschool kids is what she will miss, but we will adjust.

Thanks for your help.

Haven't read the other replies so this might have been addressed already but it sounds like this little guy is mirroring behavior he has seen with women probably at home. The passive Mom is another clue. It doesn't help your dd, I know. She is too young to understand this sort of dysfunctional family dynamic. But most youngsters could only react this way if they have seen it first hand and seen it go unpunished. Sad all the way around.

Is there anyone in the group who can step up on your dd's behalf and intervene with this boy? She doesn't need this treatment and he needs help as does his mother.

Mary

You know...if this were her problem, I would have NO problem admitting it. I have given her tools to avoid this boy so that he would not mess with her. Today, we were at the park with him and the other family (the girl he likes), she was minding her own business...the whole time...not doing anything with his boy. He went out of his way to ostracize her. He went to her...while she was off by herself building a sand castle and started in on her. I was watching close...she wasn't even talking to him for about 20 minutes before he started....she was purposefully finding her own thing to do so that she didn't have to mess with him.

I never thought it was ok just to let a co-op idea go period...wow...what a novel idea! Honestly, I was thinking she HAD to be in one. She's around other children a lot. She's in dance, piano, art, etc. I think having access to other homeschool kids is what she will miss, but we will adjust.

Thanks for your help.

Wow, that really makes a huge difference IMO- that he went out of his way to find her and bully her. That kid has problems. :grouphug:

And just to clarify, I was not implying that it was your dd's fault that this kid was bullying her- I just wanted to point out that there might be a reason for it. (not trying to justify the bullying either, I think it is abhorrent behavior that needs to be wiped from the planet).

Dance, piano, art and other classes sound like plenty of interaction time with other kids, really. When my daughter was about 8yo I set up an email account for her so she could connect with other home-schooled kids online. It was great for her. I don't know if you are Christian or not, but I was a member of a Christian message board called Gentle Christian Mothers and they had another message board for the kids- you had to be a member of GCM in order for the kids to have access to the kids message board- but it was definitely a safe environment for dd to be able to connect with others (not all of them homeschoolers, but several were).

This is shocking behavior. It sounds like you are going out of your way to be fair, trying to look at the situation objectively, even bringing your mom along as a third party. This boy has no right to treat your daughter like this. For the other mothers to just let it go is amazing to me. I've been in lots of hs group situations, and from what I've seen the other parents tend to be very concerned about teaching good manners and kind behavior. Even if your daughter was the most annoying kid in the world (doesn't sound like she is), his mother should view this as an opportunity to learn to how treat people we don't like kindly. I would try to change things, but if that didn't work, I would leave this co-op. It sounds like the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Ok, here is where we are....I need a drink after all of this..lol

I sent an email to the group this morning (while they were at co-op) stating that we would be leaving the group...that it just wasn't working out for my daughter anymore. After the group was finished, I got a bunch of calls and texts. One of them from the boy's mom. She was upset that it had come to that...and upset with me for not talking her (I had...and everything happened in front of her..is she really that blind that she thinks it's ok to treat somebody that way?) She is leaving the group. When she told her son that my daughter left the group because of his actions....HE SMILED. She told me that she knows that what he was doing was wrong and that he needs to have consequences for his actions. Guess what those are? They are taking him to another co-op. Great consequences....*sigh*

I think I did what I had to do. I know that at least one mom on one hand thinks I did the right thing but on the other hand thinks that the kids should just work it out and everybody go about their merry ways (she used the phrase locking them in a closet and letting them duke it out...ummm, they aren't fighting or arguing here...)

I'm very very sad about all of this. I know there are hard feelings all the way around. I do think the boy's mom understood why I reacted the way I did.

I can't see how talking with her more specifically (telling her first that we were leaving and why) would have helped anything...there was no secret the way my daughter was treated...it happened in front of her. Would things really have changed? Regardless, my husband put his foot down (which he never does) that my daughter and her son are not to be together again.

I hate this. I am getting a migraine from it. I def. see an alcoholic drink in my future...and I'm not a huge drinker..lol

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Stephenie

:grouphug::grouphug: That little boy sounds scary! I'm glad you're doing what's best for your daughter. Sometimes it's tough when you have an only child (I've got one too!) because you feel the need to get them into social situations and spending time with other children. But it certainly isn't as important as keeping our children safe from bullies.

How close are you to Quebec? Your daughter sounds like a sweet, lovely girl and I bet she and my dd would get along famously! :001_smile:

The vast majority of homeschoolers manage just fine on their own without any co-ops, especially with young children. High school-level science and math--now *that's* a good time to be in a co-op. :-)

Do you only have a co-op, not a support group?