Menu

IF YOU ARE A FORMER GLUTTON, how did you permanently END the DESIRE to overeat ?!?!

Any former Gluttons out there who can honestly say they are DONE with the ROOT DESIRE to overeat?

For the purpose of this thread, here's my own definition of a Glutton: a person who routinely consumes more food/calories than is needed to maintain an appropriate body weight and who routinely uses food to satisfy more than pne's physical need.

Or, if you'd like, Webster defines a glutton as "1. one given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking."

If you're one of these FORMER GLUTTONS, would you be willing to come and live with me and let me observe you and have you as a mentor....(just kidding),

but seriously....

I've heard that such FORMER GLUTTONS exist, but haven't heard from one FIRST HAND.

Quite honestly, I get SOOOOO depressed by going to WeightWatchers meetings and hearing others go on about this or that food and you can tell they're still addicted to food and are wanting more than their points allow. That it's a major force of will/discipline not to snarf that Toberone. And I truly think to myself, "Oh God, is this me at age 65 -- still wanting this?" (this is my prayer...not taking the Lord's name in vain here).

I hear their confessions and strategies (and some are lifetime success stories at maintaining their proper weights), but it just reminds me of the endlessness of this ROOT desire:banghead: and, frankly, it saddens me. Now, I keep at it and plug away, but ---- the thought of a lifetime of this fight is tiring.

I don't want to JUST reach my proper weight (although this would be awesome). I WANT to end this war for good. I want overeating to be as repugnant to me as it is to my kids who eaily push away a grape after they've eaten their teenyweeny meal!

If you're one of these walking miracles who've ended the ROOT cause/war within, can I ask you to share how you ended this war once and for all? Any tips/pointers?

Edited by PygmyShrew

I have no advice, but I am subscribing to this thread.

I figured the 'lurking' smiley was not appropriate, with the popcorn and all :)

I have a problem with eating, too. Most of my weight gain is from having kids, but I do keep adding a couple pounds here and there. The only thing I have found to help keep weight from adding up is drinking water constantly. But that does nothing to prevent the urge to eat.

I don't know that I would call myself a glutton, but I have been heavier at times, and the only thing, besides a low-fat vegan diet, that has ever helped . . . was getting interested in life. You have to have interests that are stronger than eating.

Get out, get involved, take up some interests, whatever gets you thinking about something other than eating. And you'll watch the weight melt away . . . :)

I want to subscribe to this thread too...I really hope that I am a recovering glutton. It is depressing to think that I might be on this roller coaster of cravings for years to come! I am down about 20lbs and starting to feel good about myself again- but I have been known to sabotage my efforts in the past at about this weight. I hope some former gluttons chime in...I would love to hear what they have to say!

I can honestly say, I never got full

I could eat and eat and never stop

I hit 260 and cried.

I walked 25 minute and did 1/2 a mile and cried, called my hubby who picked me up

my thighs were chaffed and I got hemroids

more tears

I blew my nose and said enough

I kept walking the next day,

I used powder on my legs

prep H on the other end

and made it a mile

I kept going

I was doing 2 miles a day

I stopped eating starch...cold turkey! no sugar

40 pounds in 6 months

I am now on a maintain...I eat smaller amounts and will begin the no starch in Feb for 40 more pounds

I now walk 4 miles in 1 hour!

I laugh and play with my kids

I decided this was enough

am I full, no

I could keep eating but I remember that pain and don't want to do that again!

editing to open myself to encourage you in any way to break the cycle!

I'm a recovering (slowly) overeater. I have gone full spectrum on eating disorders. I was anorexic at two different times in my life.....then the last 10 years or so, I slowly put on weight until I was at my highest I'd ever been, 204lbs (I'm 5'7").

I wound up getting sick back in August. I've always had health issues but my stomach was NOT happy with the diet I had acquired (mass amounts of chocolate every day, tons of fat, comfort foods by the truck load or so it seemed). I finally hit a wall and realized after a trip to the ER, that if I didn't start eating better, I was going to die. (I had my gallbladder out a few years back but my bile ducts are prone to stones and they could do a special scope but it would most likely give me pancreatitis as well as other complications that could last a lifetime...so this is my alternative ).

I wish I could say I had this epiphany and decided it was time to eat healthy but if I hadn't gotten sick, I wouldn't have started this diet.

I can tell you that I feel so much better now. I've lost 44 lbs so far and have another 25'ish to go. The hip pain that I was dealing with anytime I would sit criss cross is gone. My fibromyalgia pain is lessened and my IBS symptoms are MUCH better. I have motivation to keep going now because I've made so much progress that I don't want to ever go back to how it was. No chocolate is worth it . (I tend to be obsessive about my chocolate so that is huge).

I wish you well on your journey and maybe we can all support each other. I think support is the key when you are trying to make a life change like this.

This has always been my issue with so many of the "diet" things out there -- they all seem keyed to appetite suppression, which honestly isn't all (or even much) of the issue for me.

For me, in addition to learning about healthier choices and serving amounts, I needed to figure out when and why I was eating. Eating when feeling stressed, eating as a reward, eating when bored, etc. Figure out if any of these happen to you and come up with replacements that don't involve food, like:

Exercising or going for a walk when stressed. For me I need it to be something "special", not just a walk around the block. So I drive to a nearby beach and walk; or I joined a ladies gym and take bellydance classes there (the bellydancing also helps with self-esteem issues imo). When in the States I like to go to nearby parks which have nature trails. etc.

Finding rewards other than eating, like buying myself fresh-cut flowers or a cheap pair of earrings. Buying a particular magazine I like but don't subscribe to. etc.

You get the idea. Also remember that it takes time to overcome, because it's a habit, kwim? Like if you got up at 10 am for years, and suddenly you needed to get up at 6 am; it would be a struggle for a while until it became habitual.

Oh, and another big one for me is the whole "clean your plate" syndrome; that was so ingrained in me as a child, it's been a personal issue I've had to (and continue to) work to overcome.

Also trigger foods can be problematic -- if there are some foods that for whatever reason you can't eat just a little of (like Pringles, or peanut butter, or whatever, lol). There are a very few things that I just don't eat at all anymore, or only when I'm eating out and get a single serving (meaning I don't buy and keep at home).

Just a few thoughts, hope something is helpful!

Guest Soulshaper

Thanks Kate. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for replacing food for comfort? I have a severly disabled son and no car, so getting out of the house is more than a little difficult. (This eliminates taking walks and buying myself a treat.) I realize that I'm addicted to food, I know my Savior is sufficient, but the addiction to food when feeling overwhelmed is just over powering. Sometimes it feels like eating is my special treat to myself, the only one I get.

How do you start? How do you get through day 1 of not overeating?

Mom to 7, all special, one more than usual

Thanks Kate. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for replacing food for comfort? I have a severly disabled son and no car, so getting out of the house is more than a little difficult. (This eliminates taking walks and buying myself a treat.) I realize that I'm addicted to food, I know my Savior is sufficient, but the addiction to food when feeling overwhelmed is just over powering. Sometimes it feels like eating is my special treat to myself, the only one I get.

Can you knit? Or crochet or quilt, or do any kind of needlework? I find that keeping my hands occupied doing something creative helps me ignore food cravings.

What worked for me was to eat only meat, eggs, and veggies, making sure to eat enough fat.

It is really hard to overeat if that's all you are eating. You lose your carbohydrate cravings within 1-2 weeks. That couple of weeks can be pretty miserable, so you have to be mentally prepared. When you eat only meat and veggies, your body tells you to stop eating, because the fiber fills you up, and the fat makes you feel satiated. No bread, pasta, corn products, rice, potatoes, beans, nuts, fruit, sweets, or dairy. Nuts, dairy, and some fruit could be added back later, once you feel your eating is under control.

If you want more information, look into paleo or Primal style eating, though with Primal, you'd probably skip the cheat days at the first (or forever). Or PM me if you want specific links. Oddly enough, the trickiest part for beginners is usually making sure you're eating enough fat.

It isn't perfect though. I still tend to eat too much when I'm feeling off balance. Mostly it happens when we travel, because of disruption to my routine and surroundings. That's when staying busy is helpful.

Edited by jplain

I hope my story isn't discouraging, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I was diagnosed as obese at my 4 year old check-up. My mother started feeding me "diet food" only. I was never allowed snacks or treats at school parties. I can't fault my parents with feeding me junk. They did what they could to keep healthy foods only in the house.

But I still struggled with my weight my entire life. And I am.always.hungry.

I managed my weight ok until marriage, pregnancies and nursing. The day I weaned my youngest I weighed 200 lbs. Time for a change.

So I started eating less. I was already eating healthy food. I make everything from scratch, use whole grains and organics as much as possible. So I did nothing but change my portions. My body needed less food than I was giving it.

I lost 86lbs. I wear a size 2, look fabulous, and have kept it off for half a year. I weigh myself daily and will keep this weight off for life.

It is true that if you are consuming sugar and cut it out you will quickly lose that craving. But sugar cravings and hunger are two different things.

I am still hungry all the time. Even my husband mentioned that he has never heard me say in 12 years that "I'm full" or "No, I'm not hungry right now."

One thing that helps me ignore the hunger a little bit is to eat on a strict schedule. I eat my meals at the same times every day. But I'm still hungry when I'm finished with a healthy portion meal. I fall asleep hungry and don't need an alarm clock because my stomach wakes me up for breakfast.

I'm fully convinced that there is a hunger gene. Some people truly don't feel full, ever. That's me, that may be you. But it doesn't have to rule your life. You decide that food is fuel and nourishment and not entertainment or comfort.

I recommend the book The End of Overeating. There are many people with voracious appetites who maintain a healthy weight for life. They just accept that their body doesn't need what they want to eat, so they only eat the appropriate amounts.

I am a recovering glutton and it isn't easy. Certain foods are triggers for me and I have to stay away from them. Exercise helps control my appetite, but I can't say the DESIRE to overeat has left me. I want to overeat and eat "bad" stuff, but I have to make daily conscious choices not to because I want to reach my goal and stay there. I pray for God to remove the desire and some days are better than others, but I think about food more than I should.

I track my calories and I exercise. I have lost 44 pounds since April. It has slowed way down because I do battle wanting to eat more than I need. If there is a magic answer I would love to know.

It's the starch...eliminate or greatly reduce white sugar, white flour, white rice, and replace with whole grain flour, a little bit of honey or dates, brown basmati. The white simple starches stimulate hunger and appetite, and do nothing at all to satisfy hunger. I'm battling this right now, because I love these things, so retraining taste buds takes time and fortitude, but I am winning.

some of the posts that mention eliminating quite a few of the carbohydrates from your diet. There are some of us who just don't do well with starchy vegs and grains, much less with refined sugars. I've found that, oddly enough, I can tolerate a few more carbs in the form of a lower carb fruit (melons, berries, the occasional small portion of citrus) so I don't "get" why I can't eat a portion of whole grains or a starchy veg in the same way.

The truth is that eating those foods triggers constant desire for more food. When I eat a lot of protein, vegs, nuts and fats, it's a different picture altogether.

Other posters have mentioned HFCS. Consuming HFCS, or just high amounts of fructose as a sweetener (i.e. not bound up in a fresh fruit) bypasses the body's "satiety" mechanisms, so grehlin and leptin (not sure of the names?) don't get kicked into the mix to signal the body to stop eating. Some of the artificial sweeteners are the same way, confusing the body and leading to more food cravings, even though we've already eaten. There is some legitimate biochemistry at work here; it's not just a psychological or a "sin" issue.

Finally, I am learning that exercise will relieve the desire to eat. Go figure--it's counterintuitive!

I have struggled with my weight and yo-yo dieted most of my life. Twice I have been dangerously thin and many times way too heavy.

Earlier this year, my DH decided that he needed to lose some weight. He has never dieted before in his life, nor struggled with his weight until the past few years.

A few things that have really helped me this time:

1.) Hunger is your friend. My DH and I say this to each other quite often, especially as we are going to bed at night starving. This was a major attitude adjustment for me - that I could be 'hungry' (not starving, but not painfully full) and still function. We snack throughout the day so I know that I don't need to eat so much at breakfast to hold me over until lunch at 12:30, as I will have a snack around 10. Likewise, I don't need to eat so much at 12:30 to last me until 6:30, as I will be eating a snack in just a few more hours.

2.) I had been diagnosed as gluten-intolerant several years ago but still struggled with addiction to white sugar and rice and such. I did the Dr. Oz raw food challenge, where you slowly ween your body from all processed foods then gradually add back in what you missed and felt like your body needed. It really did cure (painlessly!) my cravings for white sugar. I realized that fruit is, indeed, sweet. I also noticed that I didn't feel so hungry all the time.

3.) For breakfast and lunch, I try to get in my daily requirement of fruits and veggies - that way I know I am getting them in, but I am also 'setting the stage' for healthy eating throughout the day. If I start the day with a handful of chocolate chips, it is just downhill from there. But if I start the day with grapes, my palette is clean and I don't want to throw that away. Likewise, we eat a lot of great salads for supper. I never, in all my married years, thought I could feed my DH a salad for supper. But he actually likes them.

4.) Get a few raw salad cookbooks, for inspiration. Buy some new knifes. Or a new blender. Something for the kitchen that will inspire your lifestyle.

5.) Realize that you can still have 'bad' food. Just split that piece of cheesecake with your DH or order a smaller steak.

I gave up carbs for the most part. Once my blood sugar got back in control I stopped having all those cravings and need to overeat. I find myself eating aimlessly sometimes, but I actually get full and want to stop!!! That never happened before. I do have fruit, veggies, meat, some dairy, and sometimes red wine or beer, and some extra dark (more than 80%) chocolate and I'm happy. I splurge some here and there, but not a ton. Check out the Primal Blueprint, or http://www.marksdailyapple.com for more info.

I finally took the plunge and went on a 'real diet'. I've done WW and others, but I needed much stricter limits....I could still eat junk and stay within my points, you know what I mean?

When I first started, my first 2 weeks were eating all of the raw greens and protein I wanted - so much so that I could hardly stand another meal of them. I would have 2 eggs in the morning, an orange and all the greens and proteins for the rest of the day. Mrs. Dash seasonings were the only thing allowed because of the sodium in others. And I had to drink 80 oz. of water per day.

I am 25 lbs. lighter and no longer crave the junk or over eat - I also read 'eat to live' and know that I should just eat to fuel my body...not to comfort myself. Don't get me wrong, I still grab a handful of chocolate chips to restore my sanity or have a few chips to satisfy a salt craving, BUT I don't eat 1/2 the bag like I used to. ;)

Honestly, if you eat REAL food with lots of protien and fat you won't want to overeat. You really won't. You will feel too full to overeat. It takes a little while, but just try cutting out all carbs for a week,and see what happens. If you want a treat have something protein and fat heavy. You will actually feel satisfied and not want to overeat. I still crave a "treat", like I Have some cream I am going to whip and put on fruit, but it isn't like the craving you get for the whole box of cookies, you know?

Edited by ktgrok

I'd say even eliminate whole grains if you have an urge to overeat. I tired keeping them in, but then I would binge on slice after slice of whole grain bread with butter,or whole grain pasta, etc. for me any grains are bad news for hunger.

It's the starch...eliminate or greatly reduce white sugar, white flour, white rice, and replace with whole grain flour, a little bit of honey or dates, brown basmati. The white simple starches stimulate hunger and appetite, and do nothing at all to satisfy hunger. I'm battling this right now, because I love these things, so retraining taste buds takes time and fortitude, but I am winning.

Well, for me, reducing carbs. I find that when I eat eat a bread, rice, or pasta-based meal, I literally cannot eat enough to feel satisfied. But if my meal is protein+veggies, one moderate-sized plate is absolutely enough and I have no desire to snack between meals.

:iagree: Drastically reducing sugar and carbs has removed the cravings for them.

The beginning of the end for me was finding out that I weighed more than my mom. That was just unacceptable to me and that's when I got serious about finding a way to lose some weight. Dieting doesn't work for me, so I needed to find something that worked but was also sustainable long term. I've done a mish-mash of Fat Loss 4 Idiots, the Belly Fat Cure, and SSS (no seconds, no sweets, except on days that begin with S). I eat plenty of protein and veggies, and go light on anything starchy. I don't use anything labeled as diet or low fat. We need fat to trigger the full response, and there is overwhelming evidence that low-fat diets don't work. I believe artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar, so I won't use them.

Edited by LizzyBee

I believe you have made the first step. You have realized you have a problem and need to do something about it.

Refined foods are a 'killer' in this area. I no longer consume anything that is ready made, no grains, no sugars other than honey, when I go to a restaurant I take my own dressing and have a large yummy salad. We have followed this as a family now for almost 5 yrs.

Before that I had to deal with some emotional things. When I went to an all you can eat place to eat I had to realize that I didn't have to eat enough to sustain me for the next we. I would get to eat again, even that day if necessary. I took an average serving of what I wanted and didn't eat something if I didn't really like it. There really was a healing emotionally that had to take place in me in the area of lack. I really never had gone without but had parents that had and I had heard about it a lot as a child with the thinking of 'you need to clean your plate because there are starving people in China' syndrome.

Getting the white refines out of your diet will be a biggy. When I used grains I never baked with anything but ALL whole grains. I never bought white sugar of any kind. Those things never satisfy as they really are empty foods that carry no nutritional value.

I could go on but those are the basis. If you want more from me pm me with questions.:D

One of the Biggest Loser contestants mentioned in a magazine that she takes fiber supplements everyday to help control cravings. I have been doing that off and on for years. If I take Benefiber three times a day it really helps me feel full (for the most part). It has to do with Leptin and how this hormone helps control your appetite and other things.

Google Leptin to find some good information on how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosedale-Diet-Ron/dp/006056573X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289484056&sr=1-1

I was a HORRIBLE glutton. I used food for everything. I tried every diet out there. I failed a million times. I was always SO hungry and decided there was nothing I could do.

I tried one last time.....

I cut out sugar. I use splenda in my coffee and occasionally have a sweet treat. i was the BIGGEST sweet eater ever. I havent had a soda in a year in a half. I think sugar was causing an imbalance.

I upped my protein. It keeps me full.

I lowered my carbs.

I upped my fruits and veggies.

I eat whole grains

I eat a huge breakfast

I use EVOO to get healthy fats.

I statred taking Kylea greens.

I eat 5-6 times a day at about 300/400 cals at a time. If you get creative you can get a lot of good food for 300 to 400 cals at a time. I eat a lot of egg whites, veggies, chicken and fish.

I went to caloriecount.com and plugged in my info so I knew how many calories i was supposed to eat. I was so far gone I could eat 3,000 cals at a sitting and still think I was hungry :001_huh: Then I made a diet plan and stuck to it for 6 weeks. And guess what? My body adjusted!! I didnt crave sweets, I felt better, and best of all? I wasnt hungry. ever. In fact I got sick of eating. I made myself eat every 2-3 hours in my calorie range, with good whole foods....and my body reset.

This was all coupled with a lot of prayer and attitude adjustments. I used to get so down and "oh poor me" and I would eat. I woud get bored and eat. I made myself get positive and I got active. I now jog 2-3 miles a day. I started out 5 mins on 2.5 mph on the treadmill with asthma, gasping for air. I havent had to use an inhaler in a full year. I started lifting weights.

The journey wasnt perfect. I hit a plateau for months. I did try and do Jillian Michaels diet, but I cant afford all the organics. I finally started losing again. I lost 55 pounds last year (maybe it was 60 I cant quite remember right now) I just lost another 6 pounds in the last few weeks. I have 50 to go.

I feel SO good right now. I only need 6-7 hours of sleep and I am energized beyond belief. I am truly never tired. I dont have asthma problems. I rarely get sick. My body WANTS to exercise, I rarely skip because I want to do it!!!

WOW, this got long. I just want people to know that you can do it. I dont think about food all the time now. I dont mindlessly eat, and I know what TRUE hunger is. I think it is as much a mental adjustment as a physical one. Good Luck to you, this is cliche, btu if I can do it anyone can. I never ever thought I would never drink soda again, or prefer grilled mushrooms to potato chips!

My comfort items include this board, hot bath with a good book, magazine subscription, crocheting/knitting. These are my rewards at the end of the day.

I'm subscribed to this thread because I'm in the never-full camp. I have no shut-off valve. I have a very good metabolism for which I'm very thankful, but it can't last forever even if my appetite can.

I cut out sugar. I use splenda in my coffee and occasionally have a sweet treat. i was the BIGGEST sweet eater ever. I havent had a soda in a year in a half. I think sugar was causing an imbalance.

I upped my protein. It keeps me full.

I lowered my carbs.

I upped my fruits and veggies.

I eat whole grains

I eat a huge breakfast

I use EVOO to get healthy fats.

I statred taking Kylea greens.

I eat 5-6 times a day at about 300/400 cals at a time. If you get creative you can get a lot of good food for 300 to 400 cals at a time. I eat a lot of egg whites, veggies, chicken and fish.

:iagree:This sounds a lot like the Eat-Clean Diet. I'm just starting it, so I can't give you a success story. I'm loving it though, because I can eat better and more often and not feel hungry. Too often, we diet by starving ourselves and then we binge to get rid of that feeling. With this plan, you don't feel hungry, so you don't binge.

i was obese from Middle School on though adulthood. i had been known to curl up with a whole box of little debbies/carton of ice cream and do away with the whole thing. rinse and repeat.

i killed my inner glutton by

1. eliminating HFCS as much as possible

2. eliminating MSG as much as possible

3. weightlifing.

i say i elimiated these things as much as possible because if you eat out you're consuming them. we don't eat out too terribly often, but it does happen from time to time. at home i eat no processed foods.

and weightlifting, heavy. this fills the emotional spot that i used to eat to fill. so one might say i did away with my gluttony for food and became a glutton for punishment. ;)

Honestly, if you eat REAL food with lots of protien and fat you won't want to overeat. You really won't. You will feel too full to overeat. It takes a little while, but just try cutting out all carbs for a week,and see what happens. If you want a treat have something protein and fat heavy. You will actually feel satisfied and not want to overeat. I still crave a "treat", like I Have some cream I am going to whip and put on fruit, but it isn't like the craving you get for the whole box of cookies, you know?

Oh, how I wish that were true. This may have worked for you, but this one-size-fits-all answer is not for everyone. I struggle with overeating of real, healthy, whole foods with lots of protein and adequate fat. I have to count weight watchers points and force myself to exercise in order to not gain weight. I lost 22 lbs so far after years of overeating the good, healthy stuff.

The author of bearing blog lost a lot of weight and talks about it as a matter of resisting the sin of gluttony and needing grace and all the rest.

I believe she's Catholic and also an engineer, so her posts are very precise and very interesting and (to me, at least) very helpful. (No affiliation - I just really appreciate her writing.)

I can honestly say that developing lactose intolerance has made eating anything dairy much less interesting.

I no longer want to eat ice cream or cream sauces, the gas and cramping are much more painful than the fleeting taste is good. Milk chocolate is out too. I have my lactaid tablets and they do work, but somehow the necessity of trading mouthfuls of chewable lactaid and mouthfuls of yummy food is not very appealing.

Oh, how I wish that were true. This may have worked for you, but this one-size-fits-all answer is not for everyone. I struggle with overeating of real, healthy, whole foods with lots of protein and adequate fat. I have to count weight watchers points and force myself to exercise in order to not gain weight. I lost 22 lbs so far after years of overeating the good, healthy stuff.

:iagree:

For me, it *started* with being diagnosed as prediabetic. I was sufficiently freaked out that I immediately went on a low-carb diet, controlled my portions and lost 20 pounds within a couple of months. That did a lot to help my physical symptoms (extreme fatigue after eating, getting up once or twice in the middle of the night to pee, constant thirst).

So I started lightening up on myself--if I'd made something particularly delicious for dinner, I'd eat as much as I wanted. If there were sweets around, I'd indulge myself--not too much, but still. What I noticed at that point was that if I did those things, I didn't feel good. I wouldn't have the fatigue, but I might have to get up at night to pee. But mostly, I'd have the generalized pain flare-ups that I had always taken to be a part of getting older. When I had changed my diet, I hadn't appreciated that I'd been in less pain.

And that was the clincher for me.

So I would say that's the key--*notice* how you feel after you overeat. Notice how you feel when you don't. Eventually you realize it's not worth it.

:confused:

"Use Your Inside Voice

Posting a message in all caps is the cyber-equivalent of yelling please don't do it. It's rude. Really. "

As yelling is to talking , typing in all caps is to typing in lowercase. Yelling makes your voice overwhem others' voices. All caps does the same thing visuallyit's much more overpowering than typing in lowercase. Look at the page. The all caps makes this one post the one that grabs your eyes. It says, "Look at my post! Look at my post!" even if that's not what the poster intended. Knowing that all caps do this avoids that.

If everyone starts doing it, it makes the board hard to read.

I am sensitive to visual chaos; it is jarring to me. So I appreciate the board rules.

Edited by Laurie4b

There's a website called Setting Captives Free, which is a free, Christian based program for dealing with any kind of addiction. I have 2 friends who have been through it.

It's all online, but you are assigned a mentor, someone who has been down the path (one of my friends is a mentor), and she walks with you for a 40 day prayer/meditation/behavior modification journey.

I've no opinion, one way or the other on it, as it seems to have had a permanent impact on one of my friends, the other one had success, but then reverted back.

Just thought I'd throw it out here as an option. :grouphug:

But mostly, I'd have the generalized pain flare-ups that I had always taken to be a part of getting older. When I had changed my diet, I hadn't appreciated that I'd been in less pain.
:iagree:

I noticed this too, as has my husband.

On Heart Scan Blog, cardiologist William Davis has posted very similar stories from patients who gave up wheat on his advice. None of these patients were known or suspected celiacs, yet they all feel much better off of wheat. Note that Dr. Davis does NOT advise his patients to replace wheat-containing foods with gluten-free substitutes. His approach is low carb. Also note that he does not believe everyone will benefit from eliminating wheat. However, his estimate is much higher than most; he estimates that 70% of his patients benefit significantly from eliminating wheat.

Here are links to a few of his posts on wheat:

A wheat-free 2010

Name that food

Unexpected Effects of a Wheat-Free Diet

Are You Wheat Free?

(As an aside, I don't think Dr. Davis has got everything right yet. As a former vegetarian, he seems overly biased against meat and dairy, without solid evidence to back up his concerns.)

I eat more or less like jplain described above except cheese is my weakness.

Recently, I had a little bit of Halloween candy. I could not believe how utterly awful I felt after eating it. You can not convince me that sugar is not a drug after that episode. It has just strengthened my resolve to be sugar (and high glycemic food) free.

"Use Your Inside Voice

Posting a message in all caps is the cyber-equivalent of yelling please don't do it. It's rude. Really. "

As yelling is to talking , typing in all caps is to typing in lowercase. Yelling makes your voice overwhem others' voices. All caps does the same thing visuallyit's much more overpowering than typing in lowercase. Look at the page. The all caps makes this one post the one that grabs your eyes. It says, "Look at my post! Look at my post!" even if that's not what the poster intended. Knowing that all caps do this avoids that.

If everyone starts doing it, it makes the board hard to read.

I am sensitive to visual chaos; it is jarring to me. So I appreciate the board rules.

I'm still confused. I can't find any posts that are written in all caps. I was reading this thread when you first posted and couldn't find any rude or all-caps posts then either, so I don't think anybody edited to remove the caps. Maybe I'm just oblivious. It's been known to happen. :D

Wow, that is a really honest post.

How did I stop....oy. I read Rise Above by Gwen Shamblin, BUTBUTBUT, I was strong enough back then to toss the , "You're Saved By Works" subtext of the book.

I'll boil it down-eat when you're hungry, stop when you are SATISFIED *not Full*. Rinse, Repeat. Eat whatever you want. All those diet rules? They are off the table. If you want a chocolate bar, eat one. If you want it the next meal, eat it. If you want it three days in a row, eat it (with the rule of eat when you are HUNGRY, stop when Satisfied) *eventually* you will get so sick of it that you'll eat some broccoli:D. Doing it this way is a very long, organic process. But it took years to become a glutton, no?

And, so my children never have to fight these battles, I canceled my membership to the clean your plate club. When they are full, they are full. I want that God given mechanism working the way it's supposed to for them. I don't deny them much, though I do try and teach them moderation. Instead of seven cookies, take two.

It takes a long time, you have to relearn to listen to the cues of your body and if you're not paying attention, you'll fly by them.

:grouphug:

eta, the poster who said Hunger is your Friend? That is so right. when you don't know WHERE hunger is? You need your stomach to physically rumble. Then let it rumble some more. Eventually the bells and sirens of I NEED TO EAT NOW will stop and you'll be OK with a little hunger.

I'm very small boned and average height. Bird boned, so my weight might not be a comparison, but at my heaviest I was about 190. Now I'm a size 6. Any less and I look like skin draped on bones, so it works for me.

Edited by justamouse

[

Quite honestly, I get SOOOOO depressed by going to WeightWatchers meetings and hearing others go on about this or that food and you can tell they're still addicted to food and are wanting more than their points allow. That it's a major force of will/discipline not to snarf that Toberone. And I truly think to myself, "Oh God, is this me at age 65 -- still wanting this?" (this is my prayer...not taking the Lord's name in vain here).

[[/b]

I've not read the other replies, but this is something I've been thinking about recently, although I've not used the word "glutton" in my thinking.

I'm an emotional eater. Have been since I was a child. I was emotionally abused by both my mother and ex-h and chocolate and carbs would make me feel better. Consequently, I'm fat. I've tried diets, blah blah blah, over the past umpteen years and you know what? The ONLY way a diet will work is when you're emotionally ready to change how you view yourself, how you view food, and how to deal with emotions. And it has to be something that comes from you. YOU have to be a place where you are sick and tired of being a slave to your emotions and to food. It's not really about will power to push away that chocolate, it's about what's making you feel you need it.

I joined WW at the end of July. I don't do meetings. I generally find that support groups (IME) allow for wallowing and belly-aching and frankly, I don't have time for that. My motivation for joining WW was two-fold. First, I'm just flat out sick and tired of being fat. I'm tired of my emotions dictating my life. No, I'm beyond tired of it. I'm tired of treating myself like crap simply because my mother and EX did. I have value as a human being and I deserve to treat myself as if I have value. One way to do that is to feed myself in a way that promotes good health, emotionally and physically. Secondly, my heath has been affected by my weight. My blood pressure has gone up and I'm on meds for it now. Also, I had a heart scare when my stress test was abnormal and had to have a heart catheter to find blockages. Thankfully, what the doctor found was very minor and he told me that losing weight and exercising will keep my heart healthy and prevent any more blockage. I'm only 43 (44 next week!). I have a daughter to finish raising. I'm obligated to take care of myself for my kids. They are worth more to me than any chocolate bar or order of fries.

I think facing the reality of how my eating habits were going to kill me has shaken me out of denial. If I continued eating the way I had for all those years, I was going to die at a young age. I could no longer pretend that wasn't a reality.

So, what I do now is count my WW points every day. I examine foods and ask myself if that piece of cake, or candy, is really worth taking a hunk out of my allotted points for the day. 9 times out of 10, it's not. I do allow myself treats, but I count the points and plan for those treats. If I mess up, I just keep going. I don't throw in the towel. I can't afford to.

As for dealing with the emotional aspect of it all, now instead of stuffing my face with food when I'm sad, I cry. Seriously. I used to NEVER cry. To my mother, it was a sign of weakness, so I never cried. I just ate. Now I cry. I let the tears flow when I feel hurt, and get it all out. And afterward, I feel much much better than I would when I'd scarf down chocolate cake.

So, I don't know if I'd call myself a "former glutton", but I do know that I have a much better handle on food and my emotions now and I feel infinitely better.

I was always super skinny, until I hit my thirties. It didn't matter howmuch I ate or what I didn't gain weight. Now in my mid-forties-it isa whole new story. I am trying to relearn. It is hard. It seems like all my friends can eat 2 bites of salad and be full. Herearesome things I'm trying

eat mostly veggies, make sure I get enough protein with meal

before I eat seconds finish allveggies and8 ounces of water-then visit 5 minutes- to see I'm still hungry

put my fork down between every bite to force myselfto eat slow enough to signal my body I'm full

My snack are protein

I don'ht snack after 7:30. I eat sufficiently all day, and so I don't snack in the evening. I usually am hungry, and when I get up in themorning I'm really hungry. BUt Im realizing being a little hungry isn't that bad

For sancks wait 15 minutes before I eat . Determine if Im really hungry or just bored.

Exercise. Sometimes I wonder if this is counter productive as far ascalories, because I get so hungry. After I exercise I drink 6 ounces of water, which is suppposed to satisfy my hunger. Then I wait 15 minutes, and then I eat!

I am a WWer and I am working on this issue as well. I read a lot of weight loss books, memoirs, etc. I'm just interested in anything that will give me a new perspective.

I am really intrigued by the concept of allowing yourself to eat what you want to take away the "forbidden" aspect of it, which is what leads a lot of people to binge.

So...you want a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup? NO! That's forbidden! (Eat one anyway...eat another because you blew it...eat half the bag).

Versus--

You want a peanut butter cup? Really, do you? OK, if you insist, and you really want it and not just good old basic comfort, that's fine. Have some, allow yourself a PB cup. Then move on because you had a taste of what you wanted. One PB cup will not derail your progress. (And as a WWer, you can have it and count the points for accountability reasons).

A recent minor crisis in my life took away my desire to eat much. In the month since, I've found it a lot easier to just stop eating. If I had food on my plate, even if it started as a reasonable portion, I just didn't feel the same need I once did to eat it all. I was not counting Points when this was going on and by eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted (but actually listening to my gut when it said No More! We're full!), I managed to maintain my weight loss. Not bad when usually I would have gained when I gave myself permission not to count.

Some of the better books I've read on this topic are Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and believe it or not, Skinny Girl by Bethenny Frankel. (I read Intuitive Eating after quitting WW the first time...gained a lot of weight. Since you are continuing to struggle with this concept I would recommend just reading these books and trying to absorb the big picture while still following WW.)

And I would say that just following WW for a good chunk of time does help you internalize the concept of intuitive eating so that you can get to the point where you are not eating to rebel against rules just because you decided to eat off the program for a day. You actually start hearing that rational voice in the back of your head saying "Um, really? Will a second piece of cake really make you feel better?"

Did you know that WW is about to change in a big way in America (in meetings the week after Thanksgiving)? From what I've read it will emphasize a completely new way of counting Points (like ProPoints in Europe). I am wondering the extent to which this program change will minimize people's desire to stop overeating. It will be interesting.

Did you know that WW is about to change in a big way in America (in meetings the week after Thanksgiving)? From what I've read it will emphasize a completely new way of counting Points (like ProPoints in Europe). I am wondering the extent to which this program change will minimize people's desire to stop overeating. It will be interesting.

From what I've heard, people will be allowed more points and then I heard something about how fruits are going to be 0 points.

I can't wait to see the changes!