Menu

So what are you doing for holiday presents?

I have the WORST time with my DH. He has no hobbies. Work stuff is no fun - who wants a stethoscope for Xmas?? (Plus that has to be bought through work for tax purposes. lol) He doesn't wear ties because of pathogens. Underwear?

He does have one hobby - target shooting. But a box of ammunition just doesn't seem very festive.

DD is getting the 2 AG dolls that are being retired. I've had those for months now.

DS is getting some remote control big foot thing that will freak out the cats and attack my feet while I try to make Xmas dinner. :001_huh:

I'm on the hunt for a couple of smaller gifts and some stocking stuffers. I'd like the smaller gifts to be more educational.

And then I just have my brother and his family and my parents and we're done!

Has anyone else started? I try to get things done as I go because I hate that intense feeling of trying to get everything done perfectly that can suck all the joy out of the holidays.

I also spread out baking treats by trying do make 2-3 things per week until Thanksgiving and one thing a week until Xmas. I'm making chocolate covered cherries this week and maybe more pumpkin bread and/or another cookie that freezes well.

I have the WORST time with my DH. He has no hobbies. Work stuff is no fun - who wants a stethoscope for Xmas?? (Plus that has to be bought through work for tax purposes. lol) He doesn't wear ties because of pathogens. Underwear?

He does have one hobby - target shooting. But a box of ammunition just doesn't seem very festive.

DD is getting the 2 AG dolls that are being retired. I've had those for months now.

DS is getting some remote control big foot thing that will freak out the cats and attack my feet while I try to make Xmas dinner. :001_huh:

I'm on the hunt for a couple of smaller gifts and some stocking stuffers. I'd like the smaller gifts to be more educational.

And then I just have my brother and his family and my parents and we're done!

Has anyone else started? I try to get things done as I go because I hate that intense feeling of trying to get everything done perfectly that can suck all the joy out of the holidays.

I also spread out baking treats by trying do make 2-3 things per week until Thanksgiving and one thing a week until Xmas. I'm making chocolate covered cherries this week and maybe more pumpkin bread and/or another cookie that freezes well.

I'm thinking of getting this for dh for our anniversary on 12/19. Or this. I'm having a heck of a time getting his ring size though because he constantly is wearing his wedding ring, never takes it off. :D

Are you kidding? I'd LOVE that! :D Actually there are some super cool spinning targets that would be a great gift ($30-50 range) if he's currently shooting at paper.

I'm building one of those huge dollhouses for my dd's (yes, they'll have to share - this thing is going to take 3 months to paint & assemble).

Where I'm stuck is the grandparents. I just can't stand to give yet another cute photo book or calendar starring the children.

My DH and I are buying a freezer for our Christmas present and then just doing stockings. For his stocking: traditional toothbrush, new sunglasses, maybe some drillbits, some things for his chainmail jewelry making hobby, and some chocolates and other sample foods from World Market.

DD (11): Digital Camera, new outfit, and a body foam mattress pad from Santa. Pajamas, ornament, book for Christmas eve (traditional) and from us, another outfit, some things for making Barbie clothes, and a Bonsai plant. Her stocking is the usual preteen stuff of lip gloss, Tiger Beat magazine, colorful socks, nail polish, a new watch, a ped-egg, and some accessories.

**Other things that she wants that we will give to grandma and aunt: Barbie clothes, collectible Barbies, Little Pet Shop stuff, Wii dance game, crafts stuff, several books and of course, she can not have enough clothes and accessories. She also wants a Ipod Touch but we are making her save for that.

DS (10) -Santa is giving him a CD player/radio, a lego kit, and maybe an expansion pack to one of his strategy games. He will get the traditional pajamas, ornament, and book for Christmas Eve. From us, he is getting a Lord of the Ring Starter Card pack, an outfit, and some Star Wars books.

His stocking will be dark chocolates, comic books, booster cards for his collections, carmex, hot sauce, batteries, playing cards, Game Stop card, and a new belt.

**He hasn't really asked for anything but a long book list and that he would like real underwear with no kid designs and socks. He's having a birthday party this weekend so I think he's waiting to see what he gets there. Legos, Nerf guns, and D&D figurines will be on it I'm sure. He also wants to get the paid version of Timez attack.

Since my mom is getting my girls a Wii, I am getting my husband a Wii fishing game with the Wii rod and reel. He will love it!!!

My oldest is getting a new (old, but refinished) desk with desk accessories and this.

My middle is getting an AG doll, Josephina, with some outfits and this.

My youngest is getting an AG doll, Kitt, with some outfits and this.

I made the cutest little blocks for my niece that spell her name, Grace. I bought a really old ABC book at an antique store that was pretty tattered, so I cut it apart and decoupaged the letters on the blocks. They are so beautiful! Can you tell I'm proud of them? I will probably get her an outfit as well.

My nephews will get gift cards because I don't know what to buy for boys.

I will be making lots of cookies and treats for my brothers and their wives and my sister, along with some nice photos of my girls. The adults aren't really exchanging gifts, but I want to give them something. And since I love to bake and am a photographer, that's something easy and fun I can do for them.

I have no idea what to get my parents. I think maybe a gift card for a restaurant. They are so hard to buy for. Oh, I know I'm making them a calendar with photos of all the kids.

I leave FIL up to my DH.

For Anna's horseback riding instructor, I am going to make her a calendar with photos of her horses. :)

I think that's it. Our Christmas list is short, and I like it that way!!

I'm having a hard time with dh also. He loves taking roadtrips and seeing unusual tourist attractions, so I found a few cool books on Amazon. Otherwise I'm stumped. He's mentioned some interest in Biblical Greek, and the video lectures from Mounce, but he's the type that will just buy it even though xmas is right around the corner. :glare: If I can arrange for mil to be with ds overnight I may get a night at a nice hotel. We never get time alone. Ds will get various Legos, books, video games, etc. Nieces and nephews will get money or toys, mil and fil are getting Roku, and my mom I will probably buy a nice outfit and a purse or a gift card to the shoe store that works with her foot dr.

Haha - I had to laugh at the bullets and the book on death. FUN!

In all seriousness, my dh and I have an agreement...we just don't buy each other Christmas gifts anymore! We may set aside money to spend at Christmas on ourselves...and we spend time together baking and such, but we let Christmas be for the kids.

I have started shopping. The kids have 4 gifts each under the tree and the younger one will have one gift from santa (older will be with his dad on Christmas). They are as follows:

ds 11

Beyblade arena and 2 tops

5 books from a series he is reading

Very nice walkie-talkies to replace his kiddie ones

3 Christian music CDs (Kutless, Jeremy Camp, and 3rd Day)

ds7

dinosaur pjs and a nice robe

15 Magic Tree House Books (he loves them)

A Science Kit (mostly chemical experiments and a volcano)

Beyblade arena and 2 tops

Under the tree from Santa will be an electric guitar and amp for ds7. My dh can play really well and started learning when he was 7 and he wants to start ds learning. :) Older ds already has an electric guitar and amp...and, like I said, he will be with his dad at Christmas (he wants a flat panel TV for his room...DAD will have to get that one for him!).

We are also going to get an aquarium and some triop eggs for the kids to raise. We tried it one year in the kit you get online and it was just silly...and nasty. This year, we are getting the glass aquarium and a FILTER! LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

This is really boring, but I always get dh clothing for Christmas--usually sweaters that are dressy enough for work. He hates shopping and I can't really help him with pants, but I figure I can shorten his shopping trips by taking care of his upper half.

And then, as I come across things I think he'd like, I buy those as well. He doesn't read a whole lot, but I buy him books I think he'd find interesting so that when he *is* in the mood to read there's a stack of books to choose from. Or I buy him movies that I'm pretty sure he'd like having in his permanent collection.

Are you kidding? I'd LOVE that! :D Actually there are some super cool spinning targets that would be a great gift ($30-50 range) if he's currently shooting at paper.

I'm building one of those huge dollhouses for my dd's (yes, they'll have to share - this thing is going to take 3 months to paint & assemble).

Where I'm stuck is the grandparents. I just can't stand to give yet another cute photo book or calendar starring the children.

I love the idea of real dollhouse. But my DD is not ready for that yet. How cool though!

Actually, he does shoot at a spinning target thing but he did blow it up with that new gun. So I bet a new one of those would be appreciated! Thank you!

He also shoots paper targets and ahem, beer kegs. My Dad drinks Heineken (sp?) out of these little metal kegs and they've become a joke for my family. DH likes to blow them up. I'll have to ask Dad if he's saved any new ones up for us.

And pretty shirt things don't work because DH wears a scrub top. Or 2 or 3 depending upon how sick the patient is and whether or not he has to go inside the patient to fix something. Ack.

He does need new underwear though. :lol:

My DH is one of those guys who has it all, or buys it for himself, so shopping for him is hard too.

But he's big on experiences so this year he's getting excellent seats to a show. It's one our entire family can attend, so technically we're all getting tickets. :)

I'm stumped as to what else he might like... His stocking will be filled with espresso and dark chocolate... But other than that, I'm on the hunt for ideas. There are some good ones in this thread - thank you!

DS (6) is getting the Playmobil Roman arena and some extra Roman soldiers. That's a no-brainer since he's already hoping Santa will bring those.

Our 19 year old DS is the tough one. Any ideas on what to get a 19 year old? He's desperate for an iPhone, but that's not on the agenda - we provide the basic cell phone while he's in school, but if he wants something fancy, it's on him.

My kids are getting a kitten (shhh! It's a big surprise). Or, well, they're getting a box of kitten stuff and a note that they can go pick out a kitten at the shelter after Christmas. At least one of them asks me pretty much every single day if they can have some pet or another (they already have 3 dogs, 1 cat, and 9 chickens, so they're hardly deprived in that area), so I'm pretty sure they're going to be about as excited as it's possible for them to get.

I think the kitten will so overshadow all other presents that it won't really matter what they are...but they have also all requested Totoro hats, so I guess I need to get on Etsy or ask a friend who knits and get that done. They're getting some Harry Potter lego stuff from grandparents.

DH and I agreed to just do a couple of small things for each other and then set some money aside to do a couple of weekend trips this year. I know he's getting Toy Story 3, though, because he has declared it his favorite movie EVER.

I was going to suggest a spinning target, but I noticed someone else already did. Are there any other shooting supplies your dh would need? Or a gift card to a place like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Dh and I have decided to give each other a spending amount. We thought about using the $$ before Christmas so we'd have something under the tree from each other, but dh suggested that we wait. The ILs always ask for our wish lists to be updated so we have a list of things we'd like to get - and there is usually something that we end up not getting that we realize, after all is said and done, is the one thing that we really wanted more than anything else! :001_smile:

For our dc - we are giving them each a nice lego set, and one large set for the ds' to share. Dd is getting a few odds and ends - Schleich elf on horseback, pretty butterfly pendant, clothes, book (and the lego set - our dc are all lego fanatics!). They will also each get a stocking.

We're getting books for SIL and one BIL. Other BIL will get something - that dh will pick. The niece and nephews will get a couple of dvds to share. MIL is getting hand-knitted dishcloths, a pendant and a magazine subscription. FIL and Gma . . . . I have no idea!

I'm a pretty good gift giver, if I do say so myself. My hubby on the other hand is not. He has the hardest time every year. Poor guy.

This year our gifts will be as follows:

DH:

Season 6 of LOST. He has the other 5, so this will round out his collection.

Some new handkerchiefs with his initials embroidered by me.

Slippers

DD2:

Books, a toy or 2, and slippers

DD0:

a toy or 2

And that's it. We're a poor med school family, but I'm really looking forward to Christmas!

I just finished Christmas shopping :hurray:!

DH: is getting drill bits and Wii party, and from the kids the Lego Creationary game. They like to get him things that he can play with them!

DD 5 (6 at Christmas): Playmobil Egypt from the Great Grandparents, a DSlite from us. And for her birthday (5 days after Christmas) the Our Generation AG knock off doll and homemade clothes from those free online AG patterns.

DS (4 in Jan): is getting a basic jumbo lego set with a lego plate and the lego cronstruction vehicle set. The great grandparents got him a Fortimajig and the kidcraft heroes fire and police station. He is also getting some baufix (it is like a wooden erector set) and more trios.

DS Christmas Eve Baby turning 2: is getting a home made train table to share with DS 4. Lots of Signing Time videos, duplos, and some playmobil 123.

I already got my christmas present! DH got me a wacom bamboo craft for digital scrapbooking.

He'd LOVE that! If I mail it to you, will your DH autograph it?? :)

The best present I ever got for my hard to buy for DH is a milkshake maker like this one. He loves milkshakes and he can operate this himself. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-65117-Eclectrics-All-Metal/dp/B000308B30/ref=dp_cp_ob_hg_title_0

This year, he is getting a sweater, a few books he will ask for, and maybe a stand for his stereo equipment if I can afford it. There is nothing I can buy him that will make his eyes light up ... the milkshake maker was a fluke. All DH does is work, read, eat, and sleep.

So far, everything the kids want costs a lot of money, compared to my budget. I am thinking of getting them some inexpensive things they will like, and giving them the remaining cash in my budget to go toward the big ticket items. To me, big ticket is over $125. Inexpensive is $25 or less. Naturally, there is nothing they want that costs between $25 and $125, except probably some overpriced $60 video games and an $80 gaming mouse, all of which I am loathe to spend money on.

Edited by RoughCollie

My dd 6 is getting an A.G. doll, since big sis got one last year possibly with an outfit or the accessories. The hard part here is she really loves 2 of them and can't decide which she wants. And she also loves one of the Vision Forum dolls. She knows she only gets one, and I am afraid as soon as I go ahead and order one, she will finally get her heart set on another one. (which usually happens with her :)

dd8 is harder. I will get her an outfit for her A.G. doll and a hairbrush for it. I was also thinking about a pottery wheel (is that what you call it?) They have one for about $30 at Walmart. I was thinking about checking to see if Michael's carries it and getting it with one of the 40% off coupons. I think she would like it.

Both get new P.Js. on Christmas Eve. I usually buy an outfit from us as the toys are from Santa. I fill stockings too, and will pick up things like undies, socks, goodies, and fun stuff for those. We need to upgrade our art supplies, so I want to get some decent markers from the teacher supply store. I am thinking about getting a couple of different things and making them to both girls together.

For dh: We don't do big things for each other. He needs a new leather belt and a wallet. He usually gets me some slippers. I put things like nice shaving cream and men's stuff in his stocking. He usually surprises me with something small that I have been asking for. Other than that, I will take the girls to buy him some clothes, either a new sweater or sweatshirt usually.

DD8: 2 Felicity outfits, jewelry music box, Sweet Pea Veggie Tales DVD, Ramona books, pair of jammies and slippers. I think I will go ahead and also buy the Felicity doll.

DS6: Playmobil ~roman arena, roman warrior ship and all the little things that go with it~, Sid the Science Kit DVD, You wouldn't want to be... books, pair of jammies and slippers.

DS almost 2: Play kitchen with play food, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD, pair of jammies

I think that's it for the kids, other than stockings stuff which I haven't bought yet. I have already bought the kids' presents except for the doll.

For DH: a sweater, a personalized stocking and a travel mug.

I'm thinking of getting him one of those coin display shelve things. He has a ton of coins from being in the military and they're just in a little ziploc bag right now.

I started a thread today about not feeling festive. I do have the dc gifts. All extended family have agreed to not exchange gifts due to the tight budgets we are all faced with this year. Locals I'm going to bake cookies or bread. Dh is impossible to shop for!! So far, I've got:

oldest dd will get an ipod for her audio books. She has been through 2 cd players and I think the ipod will work better.

youngest wants playmobil.

Dh?? I'm thinking about clothes. Boring, I know, but I just don't know what else to get. I know he needs some shirts, maybe a belt, some socks??

I am about to have a baby and won't take a newborn baby out in crowds during flu season, but have not done any Christmas shopping at all, so it's going to have to be online and gift cards that dh can pick up.

So, my 16 yo just wants a new camera and a Visa gift card.

My 10 yr old wants an ipod and will get a gift card probably to the teacher supply store down the street, because he loves the science kits they have.

My 8 yr old wants a gift card to Micheal's (she loves crafts) and one to Target. She'll also get some Littlest Pet Shop stuff. I tried hard to avoid MIC toys for a long time, but these are one of the few things she likes and she's old enough not to put them in her mouth.

My 6 yr old wants Nerf stuff and a gift card to Target.

ETA: Dh and I aren't going to worry about exchanging gifts this year. I'm giving him a new baby, he's pretty happy about that. ;)

Really, it'll be our most boring year. I love finding them neat educational toys and crafty things, but I don't have it in me this year, with the new baby. And they have all asked for gift cards, they think it's fun to pick for themselves, so we'll just go with that.

Target had stocking stuffers tonight - little markers they'll lose by the day after Xmas and tiny pads of paper kinds of stuff.

We have one TV in our house and it's in the bedroom and it's really small. We have to be motivated to watch. I'd love to be one of those people who can have cable but still read but I'm/we're not. We just end up watching Law and Order over and over. So we have a TV but no TV hookup of anykind which makes us DVD people only. So no Wii. No recliner. But gun stuff is a good idea! :D

For my DH I bought him a leather wallet made by Dockers. I also buy him stocking stuffers with spices, kitchen gadgets. He likes to cook. He is hard to buy for.

There is a new book coming out about Mark Twain that looks interesting:)

The autobiography.....

http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Mark-Twain-Vol-1/dp/0520267192/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288742716&sr=8-1

For the traveler in my family, I am buying pack cubes, ear plugs, a neck pillow. Kind of a travel pack.

For the teenagers (nieces, nephews), I bought popcorn buckets and will fill them with candy and movie tickets.

10 year old son..toys, video games, clothes, xBox points, game card.

FIL: A jacket and a track suit. Adidas is nice and he can wear it anywhere.

My DD is 22 so I bought her a used iPod on eBay, a computer case, and beauty supply stuff (she is in beauty college). Also a keycard/Starbucks gift card, TJ Max gift card.

I am still stuck on DH. I try to find vintage nautical decor for him but they are hard to come by.

:)

Did the shopping for my dd today. Found a Lego house at Sam's Club, and ordered season one of Family Affair. She'll get some outfits for her AG like Stardust doll along with a few other small things.

My teen boys will be the hard ones...

Two years ago I hit upon a solution. I make a mix in a jar recipe and give that out along with a 365 devotional book. I get the book in Jan when CBD has all their stuff on sale. I have about 10 jars to make but considering I was spending $10 on each person this has turned out to be a lot cheaper. BIL has recently been Dx with Gluten intolerance so I'm going to give out Russian Tea instead and this year I got prayer journals from CBD for $1.99 a piece so it should be even cheaper. I might get a couple of them cups to go with it but haven't decided yet. I have gotten some very good deals from ebay. One year I bought a package of those glass pendant necklaces from China of ebay for about $12. They came with ribbon necklaces so gave those out along with a devotional book. One year I found a listing for 12, 2 inch glass angels for $7 and another listing for 12 mini standing ornament hangers for about $5. I gave those out along with a devotional book. All the devotional books I usually get at CBD and pay less than $3 for especially at the beginning of the year!

Dh is hard to buy for but at least this year he has finally given us a suggestion.

Kids have said there really isn't much they want this year. They are at the age where they prefer money so might just buy them a pre-paid visa card and then give a few little small gifts. Dd collects frogs, and Ds collect snowman snow globes.

I'm making quilted placemats for sister and don't have a clue what do to for brother. He and his wife don't live together. Brother is divorced but has a son who is severally mentally ill and he takes care of him at his house every other weekend and his new wife's parents are very ill and she needs to be around them during the week. They live about an hour apart. Can't get them anything for their home, don't have enough money to buy something for each of them. So don't know what to do but if anyone has an ideas I'll be :bigear:

My dh is also impossible to shop for. His only hobby is playing poker, and at 52 years of age, he has all the cards and poker chips anyone could ever need. He hates clothes, never wears the ties I buy him (prefers his old standards). I actually donated about 30 sweaters that people had purchased for him over the years. They all still had the tags on. He doesn't like many foods or snacks. He has no clue about building or fixing anything. He only reads on vacation and he has purchased reading material for himself at Half Priced Books to last until eternity. He's a lawyer, so there's not much work related stuff, either. I have no idea what I'm getting him. If that Secretariat movie is out on DVD, I'll probably buy him that. The year that Seabiscuit came out, we each bought a copy for the other. That was funny! It will be even funnier if he buys me Secretariat, too!

Ds2 is getting a DS Lite because ds1 has one already and I'm tired of regulating the sharing time.

Other than that, the boys are getting books, Star Wars toys, a Kung Zhu Battle Arena, and a couple of games. Maybe some pajamas if I can find some cheap ones in the style they like.

I have been researching prices and what exactly I want to get for everyone.

ds 17 a mirror for his car, dress belt and cash

ds15 skull candy ear phones, Cam Newton football jersey, cash

ds10 loopz game, world racer lego set, hess truck, hot wheels rc, mighty beanz thing I saw at target.

dd5 I have not decided between calico critters house for a big gift or Amercian girl doll with bed and camp tent

and of course stocking stuffers.

DH wants a specific tool, I will also get him a box of jelly belly jelly beans adn ritter chocolate.

Edited by lynn

He'd LOVE that! If I mail it to you, will your DH autograph it?? :)

He'd be happy to. I'll pm you the details. Good luck with the rest of the shopping.

I'm doing some American Girls, some Legos, some etsy felt food and a little boom box for the bigger boys' room. The three bigger kids are taking ski lessons this winter for the first time. I'm debating whether to buy some used gear or see how they like it first. DH and I don't exchange gifts because I have your problem. He has all the fishing gear a man could use and has very specialized needs in that area. I don't want things, just time. And fun experiences.

i have no idea yet. :laugh:

the only "for sure" present that i know of yet is dd13's laptop - outside of that, i have no idea what i'm getting anybody. i'm just that organized. :p

dh isn't too bad to buy for - he has a fave hockey team and always likes getting stuff with the team logo on it, plus he has some hobbies that i can get him stuff for as well.... ds12 isn't very difficult - i know what he likes & wants... dd13 is the tricky one - aside from the laptop, everything else that she likes is stuff that SHE needs to choose herself... clothes, shoes, makeup, jewelry...if i pick it out, it's bound to be the wrong style, size, colour, or type :tongue_smilie:

i don't usually like giving gift cards, but the little miss may find some in her sock this year. ;)