Menu

The concept of the "New Elite"

How many yes answers did you get?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many yes answers did you get?

In the "Outlook" section of the Washington Post yesterday (an opinion section of the paper), an article appeared discussing the concept of the "New Elite," and opining that those who belong to it are out of touch with "Mainstream America." The author, Charles Murray, asserted that membership in this "New Elite" cuts across ideological boundaries. Accompanying this article was a quiz, which purported to identify whether or not a person was a member of the "New Elite."

I am wondering what other people think of this quiz. I will post the "key" in a follow-up, and attach a poll. These are all Yes/No questions.

1. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? (The really famous one, not the football coach.)

2. Can you identify military ranks by uniform insignias?

3. Do you know what MMA and UFC stand for?

4. Do you know what Branson, Mo., is famous for?

5. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis or Rotary club?

6. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker as host of "The Price is Right?"

7. Have you ever lived in a town with fewer than 25,000 people? (During college doesn't count.)

8. Can you name the authors of the "Left Behind" series?

9. Do you live in an area where most people lack college degrees? (Gentrifying neighborhoods don't count.)

10. Can you identify a field of soybeans?

Edited to add: Oops, I forgot to provide for a "0" option in the poll. If you had 0 "yes" answers, please use the "1" option. Sorry about that!

Edited by skueppers

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer key said that:

* If you got 0-2 "yes" answers, you're a member of the New Elite.

* If you got 8-10 "yes" answers, you're a part of mainstream America.

The author also suggested that those who got between 3 and 7 yes answers needed to "get out more."

In the "Outlook" section of the Washington Post yesterday (an opinion section of the paper), an article appeared discussing the concept of the "New Elite," and opining that those who belong to it are out of touch with "Mainstream America." The author, Charles Murray, asserted that membership in this "New Elite" cuts across ideological boundaries. Accompanying this article was a quiz, which purported to identify whether or not a person was a member of the "New Elite."

I am wondering what other people think of this quiz. I will post the "key" in a follow-up, and attach a poll. These are all Yes/No questions.

1. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? (The really famous one, not the football coach.)

7. Have you ever lived in a town with fewer than 25,000 people? (During college doesn't count.)

9. Do you live in an area where most people lack college degrees? (Gentrifying neighborhoods don't count.)

Err, is he in Nascar or something? Is that the one it means?

Yes.

MMA=Mixed Martial Arts, I guess UFC=?United? Fighting ?

Besides being a place where old people go?

No.

Drew Carey

If it was a town outside of the US does that count?

No.

No.

Yes.

So, if I get 1/2 a point, 1 point, 1/2 a point, 1 point, 0, 1 point, (not sure about that one, I'm guessing it doesn't count), 0, 0, 1=5

Edited by Mrs Mungo

A very good, winning NASCAR driver.

No.

Mixed Martial Arts & Ultimate Fighting Something.

Silver Dollar City?

No.

Drew Carey

I don't think so, though it's possible the town I grew up in was less than 25K when my parents moved there in 1985. It's not now, though, and I don't live there anymore.

Tim LaHay & Jerry Jenkins. Never read it, though.

No.

Nope.

1. Jimmie Johnson: Yes. My dad is a NASCAR fan.

2. Military ranks: No

3. MMA/UFC: Yes. My nephew is involved in MMA

4. Branson, MO: Yes. My cousin went last year.

5. Kiwanis/Rotary: No.

6. PiR Host: Yes. He is part-owner of the MLS team for which my husband works.

7. Small town: No

8. Left Behind: Yes/No. There are two, right? I know the name of one of them.

9. College Degrees: No.

10. Soybeans: No.

I don't disagree that I need to get out more, but I don't see any relation between my status as a homebody and the information above. ;)

For the record, I had 1 "yes" answer -- I can identify a field of soybeans.

I'm not really sure what "mainstream America" means these days. I know I don't belong to it, but I'm not sure what percentage of the population actually does. Will there come a time when the majority of Americans belong to some group other than "mainstream America"?

1. Jimmie Johnson: Yes. My dad is a NASCAR fan.

2. Military ranks: No

3. MMA/UFC: Yes. My nephew is involved in MMA

4. Branson, MO: Yes. My cousin went last year.

5. Kiwanis/Rotary: No.

6. PiR Host: Yes. He is part-owner of the MLS team for which my husband works.

7. Small town: No

8. Left Behind: Yes/No. There are two, right? I know the name of one of them.

9. College Degrees: No.

10. Soybeans: No.

I don't disagree that I need to get out more, but I don't see any relation between my status as a homebody and the information above. ;)

I ended up with 5 and I agree.

I'm not sure how living in a small town, identifying soybeans and knowing the authors of the Left Behind series would be effected by "going out" (and I got two out of three on those :p).

I had between 4 and 5 (I know one of the Left Behind authors... and I *think* I can id the soybeans - I remember a field trip to soybeans when I was in middle school and I certainly can id many other fields).

I'm greatly amused that this quiz requires you to know LESS to be more elite.

Sonja, I hope you're not embarrassed to know someone so mainstream. Yes, I admit it, I *like* The Price is Right. :D

ETA: I just realized that actually I *have* been to several rotary club meetings, so make that between 5 and 6. I did oratorical contests through the rotary club in middle school. Wow, clearly middle school was a very "mainstreaming" experience for me.

Edited by farrarwilliams
oops

Sonja, I hope you're not embarrassed to know someone so mainstream. Yes, I admit it, I *like* The Price is Right. :D

ETA: I just realized that actually I *have* been to several rotary club meetings, so make that between 5 and 6. I did oratorical contests through the rotary club in middle school. Wow, clearly middle school was a very "mainstreaming" experience for me.

Why would I be embarrassed? :) Obviously, you are better-informed than I am.

Come to think of it, I attended a Rotary Club meeting when I was in school, too. I had participated in a Rotary Club essay contest, and was invited to the meeting to read my essay.

I ended up with 5 and I agree.

I'm not sure how living in a small town, identifying soybeans and knowing the authors of the Left Behind series would be effected by "going out" (and I got two out of three on those :p).

1. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? (The really famous one, not the football coach.) No

2. Can you identify military ranks by uniform insignias? No

3. Do you know what MMA and UFC stand for? No

4. Do you know what Branson, Mo., is famous for? No

5. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis or Rotary club? No

6. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker as host of "The Price is Right?" Yes, Drew Carey

7. Have you ever lived in a town with fewer than 25,000 people? (During college doesn't count.) Yes, right now 900.:)

8. Can you name the authors of the "Left Behind" series? One, LaHaye (sp)

9. Do you live in an area where most people lack college degrees? (Gentrifying neighborhoods don't count.) No (I counted this as yes for the poll but I think I was mistaken the more I think about it)

10. Can you identify a field of soybeans? No

So almost 3? :confused: And I agree with lionfamily and others, what does this have to do with going out more.:lol: I am close to Elite, is that a bad thing?:tongue_smilie:

I'm greatly amused that this quiz requires you to know LESS to be more elite.

I'm not sure why knowing military ranks is knowing less or why it excludes you from the elite? We served in a unit with the son of the founder of AOL. He was BEYOND wealthy. After he left the military he went to work for his dad's charitable foundation.

I think the quiz is dumb because I think stereotyping is dumb.

I would've thought the football coach, and the qualifier almost threw me, but then I remembered even though we don't watch NASCAR. At all.

Nope.

Mixed Martial Arts and Ultimate Fighting something (Championship?)

A non-gambling Las Vegas?

I don't think so. My Dad (and Father-in-Law) are both Kiwanians, though. Does that count?

Drew Carey. I watched the first episode and haven't watched since.

Nope.

Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. Read the first 6. Terrible writing, got sucked in. Long long long ago. Kinda embarrassed about it even then.

Don't think so, although all of my neighbors certainly don't have degrees.

Yep. My grandparents (both sides) were farmers. My kids can recognize them too.

-----------------------------------

So 6-6.5. Many of these are just from osmosis, not out of some sort of interest of mine.

so it seems the author is saying that if you do know more than 2 of those things you're -- 'main stream', a la white trash? And if you're too busy getting "out" in the world to know those things, then you're elite. So he/she is defining elite by what one doesn't participate in (farming, military, NASCAR, evangelical Christianity, etc.). :confused:

I know that the MMA is the "Museum of Modern Art." :D

Bill

:lol: I still have no idea. What does MMA stand for???

I'm not sure why knowing military ranks is knowing less or why it excludes you from the elite? We served in a unit with the son of the founder of AOL. He was BEYOND wealthy. After he left the military he went to work for his dad's charitable foundation.

I think the quiz is dumb because I think stereotyping is dumb.

The quiz is saying that the more you know about these things, the more mainstream you are and therefore the less elite. I see where it's coming from, but it is kind of dumb. I think homeschoolers are particular stereotype busters sometimes. I bet there are at least a couple of Nascar watching, farm-raised homeschoolers who also know Latin and read Proust for fun on this board - or some similarly unlikely combination of things.

So he/she is defining elite by what one doesn't participate in (farming, military, NASCAR, evangelical Christianity, etc.). :confused:

:)

Makes it easy to appear elite, doesn't it? Simply feign ignorance about anything related to popular culture.

Oh, hey! I know someone like that! :D

so it seems the author is saying that if you do know more than 2 of those things you're -- 'main stream', a la white trash? And if you're too busy getting "out" in the world to know those things, then you're elite. So he/she is defining elite by what one doesn't participate in (farming, military, NASCAR, evangelical Christianity, etc.). :confused:

To clarify, this isn't what the author was getting at. He was saying that the "New Elite" is out of touch with "Mainstream America." When he said that people who got between 3 and 7 yes answers should "get out more," he was suggesting that if they did, they would get more questions right, not less, presumably because they'd have contact with more different kinds of people who would know these things. He describes in some detail how this "elite" group goes through their entire lives in a bubble, never mixing with people from other social groups.

The article wasn't at all negative about "mainstream America."

:)

Makes it easy to appear elite, doesn't it? Simply feign ignorance about anything related to popular culture.

Oh, hey! I know someone like that! :D

That reminds me of a guy I knew in college who was so disdainful of anything related to popular culture. Several of us were sitting around discussing General Hospital (a television soap opera, for those unfamiliar) and he mocked, sneered, and rolled his eyes so far I thought he'd need medical intervention to get them back. And then somebody mentioned one of the show's characters and this guy, before he could stop himself, said, "Wait. Isn't Duke [the character] in the mob?"

Heh. Busted.

Yes, I didn't know there was a football coach though. Dh has his own opinions on Jimmie Johnson and his winning streak.

Only a few, so I answered no.

Yes.

Yes, traffic. :D and Silver Dollar City. Grew up in MO, probably a gimmee.

No

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, but never read them.

Yes.

Yes

Apparently I'm so mainstream America that I landed smack in the middle of the quiz with only 5 answers. How very average of me. Hmmm. I don't really care to get out more, though. I'm good.

So, was the article saying that the New Elite really doesn't know who hosts the Price is Right? :001_huh:

:lol:

I know Branson, MO and that's it. Am I supposed to know these things?

Ah. So, I'm a member of the New Elite? What does that mean? That I'm out of touch? LOL

You and me both! Get the cabana boy! We need to have a drink and celebrate!;)

Oh -- yes, I know what Branson is famous for (it is skiing and winter sports, isn't it? If not, then I only got one yes) and I live where most folks have a college degree.

So, was the article saying that the New Elite really doesn't know who hosts the Price is Right? :001_huh:

I don't know that, as I hardly ever watch TV.

But what's the necessary link between not watching TV and being "elite" escapes me. :glare:

(Mind you, I'm somewhat baffled by my 0 on this test, one would have thought I managed to assimilate a bit after all these years...)

I don't know that, as I hardly ever watch TV.

But what's the necessary link between not watching TV and being "elite" escapes me. :glare:

(Mind you, I'm somewhat baffled by my 0 on this test, one would have thought I managed to assimilate a bit after all these years...)

:lol::lol::lol: I'm feeling better now about my '1' -- apparently Branson is NOT known for winter sports. I do know that Drew Carey replaced Bob Barker on TPIR -- because I read it on AOL -- we don't have tv.

I didn't get any right, but I don't think it has anything to do with being elite. I think there are quite a few sub-groups that aren't elite by default, but generally don't share the mainstream culture (minority populations are a good example of this).

I've read the answers everyone has given and I don't know anyone who is a fan of Nascar or who watches the Price is Right. I don't even know what Kiwanis or Rotary Club is. Someone actually gave me a left behind book once, but I never read it.

I only got 3, Branson, soybeans, and small town, and that is because I was raised in Kansas. If I was from New Jersey, I wouldn't know those 3 either...I'd have been a 0.

I've never felt "elite". I've just felt "different". I'm sure if it FELT "elite" it would be a more pleasant feeling than "different". :001_smile:

You and me both! Get the cabana boy! We need to have a drink and celebrate!;)

Oh -- yes, I know what Branson is famous for (it is skiing and winter sports, isn't it? If not, then I only got one yes) and I live where most folks have a college degree.

I thought Branson was famous for shows by popular people - singers, dancers, etc. Am I wrong!!??

Either way, I'll send the cabana boy over right away. I'm sure we can come up with a reason to celebrate!!

Hmm, I got zero right. What the heck does that mean, though? I still don't get it. Oh, wait, I take that back. I do know that MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. I used to be a boxing fan and recently discovered this on late night TV. LOL. And I lived in a very small town from Kindergarten age to about 13. So, two?

Edited by Violet

You know I ended up with 8, not because I watch/read all those things, but I'm just observant and minor details stick in my head. Now I'm feeling, IDK, a little redneck.

Except the NASCAR bit, I will never apologize for being a NASCAR fan. :D We got to sit in the box seats a few times, like hanging out in the same room as the "elite". Nothing like eating crab rangoon on a real china plate while watching painted cars zoom around a track at 150mph.

This poll is a lot more about whether you are familiar with the midwest than anything else.

I don't quite get how "mainstream America" seem to mean country. Don't the vast majority of people live in cities along the east and west coast? So why is middle America "mainstream"? I guess it's all about politics and how everyone wants to accuse their opponent of being out of touch with their constituents. Blah.