Menu

Trick or Treaters with food allergies -

Well, I usually have a tub of candy and a basket with non-edibles like vampire teeth, eyeball rings, spider rings, pencils, erasers, etc.

Why don't you tell us how we can make it easier/better for your child?

For example, if it would be better for me to separate chocolate and nut containing candy from the other candies and bubble gum or something like that?

I would want to know because I usually have a pretty big variety of treats to choose from. A sticker would probably do the trick. :)

My 5 y/o is has a peanut/tree nut allergy. We take her and my oldest dd handles the candy and the bucket she collects it in. But she gets to wear her costume and say "Trick or Treat!" Then when we get home, we sort through and give her what she can have.

(I would find it too confusing and chaotic with all of my dc and all of the dc out TorT'ing to try to make allergies known. So we handle it "internally!" LOL And we hand out play-do and pretzels. :) )

this is why i don't give out chocolate bars ~ i give out suckers, figuring that then the allergic kiddos can keep them as well. (can they??)

i don't think that putting 'allergy stickers' on a kid is the way to go - mainly because there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't know what that even meant... consider folks who don't have kids, or who have kids who they raised before all these allergies reared heads... or homes where the kids themselves answer the door... lots of chances that the stickers wouldn't be understood or your kids could get negative attention/questions/etc about it.

the gloves-for-allergies made me laugh because i've never really had a halloween where you didn't need gloves..or mittens... :laugh:

(but sure, gloves could work!)

I know of people being allergic to red and yellow dyes that would likely be found in suckers. I don't think that it affects them by touch though.

dang it don't make me go looking for clear suckers now. :p

Dum-dums are made on dedicated equipment and are, for the most part, allergen - free. :thumbup1:

good good! :D

That's a good idea -- non-edible treats!

Well, I usually have a tub of candy and a basket with non-edibles like vampire teeth, eyeball rings, spider rings, pencils, erasers, etc.

Why don't you tell us how we can make it easier/better for your child?

For example, if it would be better for me to separate chocolate and nut containing candy from the other candies and bubble gum or something like that?

I would want to know because I usually have a pretty big variety of treats to choose from. A sticker would probably do the trick. :)

My 5 y/o is has a peanut/tree nut allergy. We take her and my oldest dd handles the candy and the bucket she collects it in. But she gets to wear her costume and say "Trick or Treat!" Then when we get home, we sort through and give her what she can have.

(I would find it too confusing and chaotic with all of my dc and all of the dc out TorT'ing to try to make allergies known. So we handle it "internally!" LOL And we hand out play-do and pretzels. :) )

We do something very similar. All my kids go out together, and one of the siblings takes the candy for DS with the allergies. We do let him carry the bucket, but he is 8 and handles his allergy very responsibly. When they get home we dump it all on the kitchen table and sort out everything that can't stay. (We have no nuts in the house due to the severity of DSs allergies.) I have a stash of safe stuff to trade in for the stuff we get rid of.

I don't think labeling the child would really help as reading the labels is complicated and during the chaos of trick or treating it would be tough to explain the allergy over and over.

We do carry our epi-pen trick or treating (as we do everywhere else) just.in.case.

We let our dd trick or treat, she didn't touch the candy people just dropped it into her bag. When we got home she'd trade her bag for one I'd put together especially for her ahead of time filled with safe treats she liked. She just didn't want to be left out of the fun.

i don't think that putting 'allergy stickers' on a kid is the way to go - mainly because there are a lot of people out there who wouldn't know what that even meant... consider folks who don't have kids, or who have kids who they raised before all these allergies reared heads... or homes where the kids themselves answer the door... lots of chances that the stickers wouldn't be understood or your kids could get negative attention/questions/etc about it.

:iagree: I really don't think that it's possible to expect folks to be able to accommodate food allergies for trick or treaters. There are just too many different allergens out there! Case in point...

Dum-dums are made on dedicated equipment and are, for the most part, allergen - free. :thumbup1:

My son was intolerant of corn, so NO Halloween candies were safe for him, even dum dums.

We let our food intolerant children trick or treat for the experience, and then switch out their candies for treats that are safe for them instead. We found some organic, sugar-free lolipops online that worked well for us last year.

What's your neighborhood like? A friend of mine has kids with a number of allergies. She goes to a bunch of her neighbors the day before or morning of T or T and gives them candy that her kids can eat. Then the neighbors give that to her kids when they show up. Obviously they only go to those houses. Her kids are quite small, so it would be pretty hard for her to count on them handling it themselves, and she or her husband are with them.

Many churches have fall festivals or even halloween events. I think our this year is being called Treats for Jesus. Our town even does one. Some people refer to them as Trunk or Treats. Usually people gather together and they may have their cars or trunks (hence the name) decorated like you would a house and the kids go around and get candy but they also have games and other events happening. Ours is having two inflatable jumping houses, music, food (I think hot dogs?), games like fishing, bowling, throw the ball into the whole, face painting etc. They could participate in the activities but wouldn't need to get the candy and they'd still have the experience of Halloween.

I suppose it's insensitive of me, but I don't see that as my responsibility. I would expect the parents of kids with allergies to handle it, as they're knowledgeable about what that child can and can't have, and I can't guess when I'm buying candy at the last minute.

Edited by WordGirl

My kid has severe food allergies, mostly nuts (as applied to candy). She eats very little commercial chocolate--most of it is just too iffy.

On Halloween, I don't think it's up to other people to figure out what to give my kid. She takes anything they give her and she says thank you, and when we get home I go through all of it very carefully. Almost half of it gets taken out, but the same happens to her sister and they get large hauls anyway, so they are very good sports about it. They still have a ton of candy.

What I take out might go back into the treat bowl to be given out, or I might eat it myself!:001_smile:

I don't think a label would be a good idea. Most people would only be confused and worried, or annoyed. It takes experience and real knowledge to deal with food allergies.

My son has many allergies but he knows what candy he can eat. Often, people will hold out the bowl and he will pick something he knows he can have. If, on the other hand, a particular household is directly distributing the candy into the children's bags, and they have a variety of candy, he will politely ask if he may have _________ since he has food allergies. Most people are very happy to accommodate him though a few aren't. In the end, we just go through his bag and pull out what he can't have and he trades with his cousins and his sister for things he can.

At first, I wasn't really comfortable with him asking for something specific. (It was something he started doing on his own when he was pretty little.) But, then I decided the whole point of Halloween is a fun time for the kids and there was no harm in him making a polite request as long as he then accepted whatever was given to him.

Other than that, we don't expect anyone to do anything special for him.

Lisa

I guess I don't understand the question. My youngest has a peanut allergy. SHe developed at about 3 or 4. Yes, she went trick or treating some years. There never was a problem since my kids did not eat candy from the bag while they were trick or treating. We would sort candies when they got home (when she was this age a parent would go with her). She would trade her peanut candies with her siblings non peanut candies. My older two loved snickers and my oldest loved reese's. THere was never any problems.

I don't think a label would be a good idea. Most people would only be confused and worried, or annoyed. It takes experience and real knowledge to deal with food allergies.

I agree with this. A sticker is going to have to be explained, anyway, so I don't really see the point. Even if it says "I am allergic to all nuts", Halloween is a chaotic night and people either aren't going to see it, or won't process it quickly enough to necessarily do anything about it. If you're worried about cross-contamination, your kids should definitely wear gloves.

My DD has nut and fruit allergies, so I'm very familiar with this. I don't expect the people handing out the candy to worry about her allergies. I'm just grateful that they are in the spirit of things and passing out candy at all. We'll handle it when we get home.

My dc have allergies and celiac. When they trick or treat, they don't eat while trick or treating. They come home. I sort the candy into what they can and cannot have. I replace what they can't have if it looks like I took a lot I might replace a few candies with candies I've bought that are acceptable.

I don't ask the kids coming around if they have allergies. I have non food items like plastic teeth and rings, a bucket of the costco chocolate mix candies and a bucket of lollipops that have no artificial flavors or colors (which are generally acceptable for most kids with allergies). When my dc come back with their dad and I've sorted, I put the stuff they can't have in with the chocolate mix. I leave any left over candy outside when I done for the night--neighborhood teens who come through late are welcome to the leftovers, I don't need them in my house.

I think it's just that allergies are so varied that it is impossible to protect everyone. I still think the best course of action is to go up to the door with your child. I know I would, and I'm sure my brother will be doing it with his daughter who has nut allergies. Actually, I don't think she's ever had candy, so they will probably still go trick or treating but just take the candy from her.

I just think that in these sorts of situations, it's really up to the person with the allergy (or the parents).

I don't expect others to protect or cater to my kids.

I wonder if others would feel differently if it were their child with life threatening food alleriges. Ds has reacted simply from contact, but wants to be a normal child and able to enjoy Halloween like other kids. What is wrong with that?

I think there are so many different allergies that it is impossible to cater to any of them on a night like Halloween. I have a ds with a severe allergy to latex. Most of the toys handed out, balloons, and masks are made with this. We get very nervous walking around places because of this.

He can't really participate in co-op science because of this allergy. Is it annoying-- absolutely! It just comes with him and we move on with our day!

I wonder if others would feel differently if it were their child with life threatening food alleriges. Ds has reacted simply from contact, but wants to be a normal child and able to enjoy Halloween like other kids. What is wrong with that?

I think what IS wrong with that is that it is potentially life threatening. If my child can't swim, I shouldn't let them go off a diving board, however much they may want to do that.

You, as the parent, are the only judge of whether your kid can trick-or-treat safely. If they CAN, no need to alarm any of the people who are nice enough to hand out treats. If they CAN'T, then they shouldn't go trick-or-treating. Sure it is fun, but it isn't worth risking their lives!

I would want to know if the item I was about to hand a child could possibly kill them and try to keep assorted options near the door.

If I had something in a bucket and was handing out to all the kids, I would hope their parent would be with them to keep them from getting anything life threatening.

I wouldn't bother trying to alert people giving out candy about my kid's allergies - even if they have the best of intentions and would want to know, people aren't generally educated enough about allergies for it to do any good. I would have to read a label personally to know if something was safe for my kid to eat, and that would hardly be an effective way to go trick-or-treating. ;)

I don't know what your son's allergy is or the severity, but candy is almost always wrapped, and if it's a contact issue, maybe he could wear gloves and not handle any of the candy that gets dropped in his bag until after you sort it at home? If the allergy is so severe that someone else having eaten peanut-laden candy being close to him could be a trigger, then I just wouldn't do it. I'd have a small Halloween party with safe treats, or a costume fashion show for the grandparents, or some other sort of celebration. But I'm paranoid like that. Only you know how severe his allergy is and whether the risk is worth it.

My daughter is allergic to corn and wheat, so pretty much all candy is out for her. We go trick-or-treating for fun with friends, then I sort out the few things she can eat and she 'trades' the rest in for a Halloween toy I buy for her. Her allergies are not life-threatening, though.

A lot of people I know buy the peanut-free boxes of chocolate bars or small bags of chips because they know so many kids have allergies...but that only helps nuts are the only issue.

No, I would expect parents to come along with their child if they had severe life-threatening allergies or not allow them to go trick or treating. I couldn't imagine asking every single child that came to my door if they had allergies.

We always travel to the grandparents neighborhood so we haven't had to hand out candy very often. But the few times that I did, we had some stickers, Halloween cups with straws, and other fun stuff for the babies and toddlers that couldn't have candy. If my kids had allergies I probably would have been more thoughtful and left the non-edibles out as an option instead of only offering them to the younger set. But allergies are far from my mind so hopefully the parents were doing their job.

I think gloves are a great idea. I would also walk with my child to every door just to be on the safe side. I'd keep a few special treats on hand for my child to enjoy on the walk (because lots of kids are enjoying the treats as they walk). Then back at home I would replace the candy with more special treats my child could have.

I would want to know if the item I was about to hand a child could possibly kill them and try to keep assorted options near the door.

so we need to make sure that we hand out treats that are free from - and weren't manufactured in a facility or transported/stored with (or touched by someone who recently ate!): milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat, strawberries, oranges, pineapples, red dye whatsit, msg, corn sugar syrup something.................

how about you trick or treat with your child and make sure that they stay safe?

many of us are already handing out treats that are less likely to contain common allergens - i mentioned earlier that i hand out suckers instead of chocolate bars and others have mentioned their items as well.

we can not be - and YOU CAN NOT EXPECT US TO BE - responsible for your child's safety. i don't say that to be rude or cruel - i have a child myself who, while he doesn't have food allergies, has special needs that require extra care and attention to keep him safe....and that responsibility is MINE. i can't expect the world to look out for him - sure, sometimes other people do..and when they do, fantastic! i really appreciate it. i do not, however, expect it.

I also have a child with life-threatening food allergies. I understand your wanting to make life as normal as possible and allowing your child to participate in these events.

The way we've worked out ToTing is to allow him to go. Have a great time with his friends. Dh always goes with him while I hand out candy. When we come back to the house, I have a special bag set aside for him with safe treats. We've always done this and it works really well as he can't even have wrapped, safe candy that has touched anything with nuts.

I don't have him wear a sticker or anything because that would just be one more thing that sets him apart. (My ds is at the age where he's tired of being different.) For that reason, I'd also not have your kids not accept the candy. I would think that would be seen as a little odd and would further set your kids apart. KWIM?

I hope you find a way that this can work for your family!

we can not be - and YOU CAN NOT EXPECT US TO BE - responsible for your child's safety. i don't say that to be rude or cruel - i have a child myself who, while he doesn't have food allergies, has special needs that require extra care and attention to keep him safe....and that responsibility is MINE. i can't expect the world to look out for him - sure, sometimes other people do..and when they do, fantastic! i really appreciate it. i do not, however, expect it.

I didn't see any expectation of random strangers being responsible beyond a reasonable expectation. The OP was a two-fold question: would you want to know if a child on your door step had allergies and how do people whose kids have allergies help make ToT safer.

I have a variety of treats that I give out-edible and non-edible. It would be a good if I knew a kid was allergic to latex before I handed them some vampire teeth. I can always give them a pencil instead. Likewise, if they are allergic to corn I could give them multiple non-edibles and no edibles.

My ds7 is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts and several tree nuts. I would not expect a sticker declaring food allergies to mean anything to most people.

Last week my in-laws were over for dinner and my fil dipped his chip in the cheese dip (which my ds obviously can't eat) and then he dipped his cheese covered chip in the guacamole (which ds was eating). My dh came unglued and fil got mad because my dh practically yelled at him.

The reality is that the majority of people just don't get it. I thank God that my dh gets it and I have someone to share my burden with. Other than that everyone is ignorant (imo) until proven otherwise when it comes to food allergies.

I personally do not let my ds eat any TOT candy. He trades it all in for a toy, This year it's a big pack of football cards.

FYI, the small treat size candy most people hand out does not always have the same ingredients as the full size candy and since they are not individually labeled you never know.

The big bags of Fritos are made on dedicated machinery but the snack sized bags are made on shared machinery that processes milk. Ask me how I found that out. Ugh, a face full of hives is how.

As for dum dum pops the following quote is from the Spangler website:

Dum Dum Gum Pops and Dum Dum Chewy Pops made in the USA are free of peanuts, tree nuts, egg, gluten, and milk. Dum Dum Gum Pops and Dum Dum Chewy Pops made in Brazil are manufactured in a facility where peanuts and milk are used in the manufacturing of other products. Please check the back panel for country of origin.

I didn't see any expectation of random strangers being responsible beyond a reasonable expectation. The OP was a two-fold question: would you want to know if a child on your door step had allergies and how do people whose kids have allergies help make ToT safer.

i was replying to the post i quoted - because it did sound somewhat like that. the whole 'you'd feel diff it it was your kid' and 'the thing you give my kid could KILL him' stuff didn't sit well with me.

like i said - i have a kid that i have to be extra careful with as well... so i do get it in that way...but it's MY responsibility to make sure he stays safe.

yes - some of us CHOOSE to try and hand out treats that aren't likely to be an allergy issue.. but did you see my list?

We just told ds not to touch anything in the bag until we had checked it for him. When he was at his most allergic, we simply traded bags with him when he got home, giving him treats from home that we knew were safe and hadn't come anywhere near more dangerous treats. As far as people letting kids select their own, I'd just teach the kids to say, "Would you please choose for me?"

I would NOT go announce at every house that my child is allergic and whatever the people at the door hand us might kill him. If it's that bad, find another way to celebrate and enjoy wearing costumes in public. It's just not fair to go to a stranger's door and make them feel guilty if they don't have a treat that a particular child can have, or make them worry that they'll be sued if their "safe" candy was stored near something "unsafe", etc.

i was replying to the post i quoted - because it did sound somewhat like that. the whole 'you'd feel diff it it was your kid' and 'the thing you give my kid could KILL him' stuff didn't sit well with me.

like i said - i have a kid that i have to be extra careful with as well... so i do get it in that way...but it's MY responsibility to make sure he stays safe.

I don't disagree. My son is allergic to apples and pears. It's a contact allergy, but you can imagine the number of things that contain apples or pears. Nearly all juices, fruit leathers, fruit snacks, candy with natural flavoring, etc. So, I know what you're saying, believe me.

yes - some of us CHOOSE to try and hand out treats that aren't likely to be an allergy issue.. but did you see my list?

I didn't make any kind of judgment about you or anyone else. I only said that if I was handing a kid vampire teeth and he/she is allergic to latex, I would like to know so that I can give them a different type of treat.

The sticker, "I have food allergies.", wouldn't be about educating, but awareness for those who are already educated about it.

As I said in my post, my child does have those allergies. I still don't think a sticker would be a good idea. What I would do is take the bag around, not touch anything/wear gloves (costume!), and then trade for safe treats when we got home. I was assuming that you would be going with your kid, since that's what everyone does here (these days I wait at the curb with the other parents of kids over 5).

The bit about awareness for those who are educated--well, I'm educated about my child's allergies. I wouldn't know what to do with a kid with a corn, wheat, or milk allergy, much less latex. A sticker would make me ask for specifics, but really I would not want to make that judgment for another child and I would feel worried about it. And a sticker would be obvious to everyone, not just those who know something about allergies. I just think it would stress people out unnecessarily.

Edited by dangermom

I don't disagree. My son is allergic to apples and pears. It's a contact allergy, but you can imagine the number of things that contain apples or pears. Nearly all juices, fruit leathers, fruit snacks, candy with natural flavoring, etc. So, I know what you're saying, believe me.

yeah - apple juice is pretty much the main ingredient is every juice box/fruit chewy/etc out there!

I didn't make any kind of judgment about you or anyone else. I only said that if I was handing a kid vampire teeth and he/she is allergic to latex, I would like to know so that I can give them a different type of treat.

hmmm. wasn't meaning to imply you made a judgement or something...i'm tired today, if i typed something that sounded like an implication or accusation, sorry 'bout that! :tongue_smilie:

i DO understand allergies, don't get me wrong. if i was throwing a birthday party and little joey who can't have peanuts is coming, then i'll make sure that i get peanut free goodies for the entire party --- but at the same time, i want his mom to be the one who decides if he can consume them or not. ;)

I keep a separate bin of toddler-safe treats-usually little packs of goldfish crackers or animal crackers. Occasionally an older child will ask if they can have one of them, and I'll always say "yes". I know in some cases, those are kids who have nut allergies, and in other cases, they're kids who actually prefer goldfish to candy :).

I also have both chocolate and non-chocolate candies available, but they are mixed, plus some non-food treats.

Unfortunately, everything is an allergen to someone, but hopefully there's something every single kid from 1 to 81 (or whatever) can enjoy.

Edited by Dmmetler2

My daughter has a dairy allergy which means pretty much all of the chocolate is out. We take her around and we just give her a quarter for everything she collects that she can't have. The close neighbors all know she's allergic and normally have something special and safe for her. We pass out local honey sticks at our door, pretty safe and the kids love them. :-)

Growing up my cousin was diabetic. Ahead of time my aunt would go around to friends and family and drop off treats that were safe for him to eat. She would let them know what costumes they would be wearing so they were easily spotted. Then when it came time to trick or treat she only took him to places where she had dropped off items.

I havent read through all of the posts but....

my dd has a severe tree nut/peanut allergy.

We take her and she can even grab candy out of tubs since she pre-knows what candy she can eat. She always grabs for dum-dums, skittles, jolly ranchers, dots, nerds, stuff like that. If its all chocolate, she will grab me a twix (my favorite) and then we move on. I have never had concern of her touching things with wrappers, but my dd will ask me to sanitize her hands when we are done anyway. Then when we get home, we go through all of her candy and 2 bags are made. 1 bag that is safe for her and 1 bag for me and daddy(usually all chocolate stuff).

FAAN usually puts out a Halloween candy list prior to Halloween to make it easier on the parents.

Good luck and have fun!

I think it's just that allergies are so varied that it is impossible to protect everyone. I still think the best course of action is to go up to the door with your child. I know I would, and I'm sure my brother will be doing it with his daughter who has nut allergies. Actually, I don't think she's ever had candy, so they will probably still go trick or treating but just take the candy from her.

I just think that in these sorts of situations, it's really up to the person with the allergy (or the parents).

:iagree:

I do sympathize with the parents of kids with allergies. However, in my neighborhood, I will likely see 300+ kids in a 2 hour period on trick or treat. I cannot second guess everything and I can't afford to buy 20 different options. In situations where I am inviting children to my home, I will do everything possible to accomodate those allergies though.

The big no-nos include gluten and dairy, and we severely limit artificial colors. He goes ToTing, but he can't eat anything until he gets home. We sort the goodies for "allowed" stuff, then add a bunch of organic gummies and other candies that he can have. DH takes the non-allowed candy to work, or we donate it somewhere.

This year, I'll give out "big 8" allergen-free (and color-free) candies and little bottles of bubbles. In past years, I've given stickers, mini tubs of Play-dough, pencils, spider rings, or little glow sticks. Often, the non-candy items are a bigger hit than the candy! :)

Lisa

I like others' suggestions of gloves, etc.

Is the idea of a sticker to let neighbors know that no treats are needed--just a "Cute costumes!" comment? I don't really like the idea of a sticker if its purpose is to put the responsibility on a neighbor to find something appropriate. There is no advance warning and no time to think about it. Some may feel very guilty for not having anything appropriate; others may have an anxiety-surge about trying to find something appropriate--read labels, etc. Others might think they've complied and not realize they have to look for peanut traces, etc.

What are you going to do with the candy? Do you have a place to give it away? (Or are your kids going to accept it at all?)

Perhaps since your kids aren't going to benefit from the candy, they could give something away to neighbors kind enough to be handing out treats--sort of a reverse trick-or-treat.

Is there a church or other organization near you where your kids could go to participate in showing off their costumes, etc. but which wouldn't have the candy?

My ds has multiple food allergies and is ana on contact to peanuts and soy.

He has never once missed out on Halloween. I refuse to have him be a bubble boy. His friends are great about helping keep him safe at playdates, parties, and other events. I talk to his instructors and other moms at his various activities. But all I can do is request...

this is geared to the post stating we are risking our child's life unnecessarily by allowing them to ToT....A trip thru the grocery store could be just as deadly as ToTing. There are nut products everywhere. Who knows what that cashier ate for lunch? Or the lady at the bank? or his doctor? Should I not allow him outside the house - ever?! We can't live that way. It is bad enough to have to avoid every top food allergen and then some....It is not only my job to make sure that DS is safe and healthy but to also make sure DS lives as normal a life as possible.

to the OP,

I make up individually packaged goodie bags full of safe treats for him. I then walk door to door handing out his treats and explaining the situation to people. I ask them not to put the baggies into the regular treat bowl (this happened the first halloween after his diagnosis and he broke out in hives in a a minute or so) and they do. I carry the usual arsenal of wipes, benadryl, and 2 epis. Nothing new there - that is standard for running to the store, a trip to the park (where most of our contact reactions have occurred), a walk to the mailbox. When we get home, He washes up and I open all the goodie bags and dump it all into a safe bowl for him - eliminating any contamination from goodie bag to actual treat. Only then can he look thru his stash (most of which is NOT candy, although he thinks the raisins and fruit bars are candy LOL). This year his costume has gloves - not sure if he will keep them on since it is crazy hot florida, but worth a shot.

While it is truly humbling to walk door to door and explain this situation and hand out treats - it is soooo worth it. The joy on his face to ToT with his friends. To know that he gets safe treats. To see the joy and excitement he gets from sifting thru those treats. It is soooo worth it to see him be a "normal" kid for one night.