Menu

Johnny Tremain - Why do students dislike this book so much?

I didn't read Johnny Tremain until I was an adult, and I really liked it. But my seventh grade students at school really hate it. They say it is so boring.

I'm curious to see to your kids have felt the same way. I wonder if it is a maturity thing. Anyway, I need to decide soon whether or not I'm going to include it this year.

Any ideas? Or any ideas for a replacement book for that same time period in American history?

I read it in 7th grade and I liked it.

My DS read it last year (7th grade) and liked it. He thought parts of it were sad but in general he spoke well about it. He watched the movie, too, and thought it was pretty good.

I'm sure students find it boring because it doesn't have the action/magic/otherworldliness of modern lit. I would stick with it. Students need to learn that not everything has to be action packed to be entertaining and worthwhile.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

My fourth grade students read it two years ago when I taught fourth grade -- I did a full blown 'colonial' unit that surrounded the reading of the book. I used the Colonial Williamsburg website for ideas - we did 'Signs of the Times' as a class project and discussed 'commerce' at the time in depth. We invited other classes to see what we had done - the class made the signs for their businesses -- following the explanation in JT that signs had to cater to two classes of citizens - those who could read and those who could not.

They loved it.

We also visited Mt. Vernon and spent about an hour or so at the 'commerce' portion of the farm, apothecary, blacksmith, etc. It brought everything to life for them.

I was dreading reading the book, but it turned out to be an excellent experience for the kids and for me. FWIW, my dd was in fourth grade at a private school at the same time and they read JT and their class had a great experience as well. And, the Disney movie, is not THAT BAD as far as giving faces, voices and isolating the issues of the time.....just remember it IS a Disney movie.

We read it last year when my kids would have been 7 and 9 years old (2nd & 4th grade, I guess:blush:). They LOVED it. We even got the movie through Netflix when we finished the book. The movie is horrible! Isn't that typical of most (all?) movies made of books you enjoy?

I never read Johnny Tremain as a child, so I preread it earlier this year and thought it was good. Let my son read it recently and he enjoyed it overall. He was disappointed at the ending though (thinks it should be clearer that Tremain gets his hand healed or improved).

I preread My Brother Sam is Dead and thought that would be too much for my son at his age, but it may be a possibility for your class.

It's been a few years since we read it but my ds's thought it was boring, too. I think what a pp said about it not being full of action might be part of it. Not sure, since they enjoyed Caddie Woodlawn that same year which is also not an action story.

IIRC they thought Johnny was a jerk. I don't think they bought his transformation as being realistic.

Cinder

We also read it in 7th grade. I thought the language was fairly sophisticated, especially for someone who might not be a strong reader. I read parts of it aloud for my son. (My daughter, a very strong reader, would've had no trouble with it.)

Edited by Mejane

We also read it in 7th grade. I thought the language was fairly sophisticated, especially for someone who might not be a strong reader. I read parts of it aloud for my son. (My daughter, a very strong reader, would've had no trouble with it.)

I think that it IS a book that lends itself to being read aloud. We read it aloud in class and so did dd's class. We also listened to a few chapters on CD and we tried to do Reader's Theater with it. BUT, reading it aloud (usually me and the few other exceptionally fluent readers in class) worked well.

I had one daughter finish reading it. She thought it was "ok, sort of". My other daughter couldn't even get through it.

Both of them were reading plenty of other difficult books at the time, as well as books that had male protagonists, which they enjoyed, so I don't think the problem with Johnny Tremain is either the more difficult writing, lack of action, or that they were girls reading a "boy" book (I hate that term, by the way). It's just not a book that grabs everyone. My kids weren't really taken with the character. I think another poster nailed it -- Tremain was a bit pompous and didn't really come round in a believable way. Maybe kids who don't care for it are actually more sophisticated readers (I made the mistake of not getting it to my kids until they were a bit older -- maybe it would work better for younger kids)

Most books only speak to a segment of the population. That's why I don't really force any books on my kids. They've generally found something else that's of a similar reading level that covers vaguely the same thing.

ETA: My older daughter read Robinson Crusoe that year, got through it, and had a lot to say about it (I won't say she "enjoyed" it -- Crusoe was a bit too annoying for that response). So Tremain obviously wasn't a problem for her in terms of readability or even that it didn't have enough action. Robinson Crusoe is pretty un-action-packed, taken as a whole, seeing as one has to read through all his musings about religion and society.

I read it only as an adult and thought it was "ok". It's worth trying. If your kids get something out of it, great. If not, oh well, move on to something else.

Edited by flyingiguana

We used it as a read aloud with Sonlight's 3+4 core. It was boring in the beginning, but we pushed onward and in the end really enjoyed the book. I think that using it as a read aloud really helped, I don't think either one of my kids would finish it on their own.

We read this for sixth grade history.

I read this on recommendation of an adult friend. She said she loved it as a kid. I read it on my own the first time and I cried. Then I read it a second time with my ds, and, yes, I cried. My ds thought I was nuts.

I just now asked my ds and he said it had its moments. He did mention, that at the time we read it, he was not a "founding fathers" sort of person and so it did get boring for him.

The only thing I really have to figure out is where to draw the line between truth and fiction. Because I was not well educated in US history, I tend to intertwine the actions of the fictional characters with the history. My dd and I are currently reading In Freedom's Cause by G.A. Henty, and I am starting to have a difficult time separating the fiction from the non-fiction.

Claire in NM

I read this book as a kid and loved it, but my DD did not.

I am not sure why not. I have always read complicated books to her, and this one is easier than some.

I think that part of it is that when I was little we studied American history mostly, with some CA history, Bible, and the Reformation period. So for me, the colonial period was totally fascinating.

But DD has learned world history a la SOTW, and so she is not nearly as interested in colonial American stories. Also, she has been raised on good historical fiction illuminating different periods, and so Johnny Tremain is not nearly as unique for her as it was for me. For me it was a real standout book that enabled me to picture what it was really like to live during that time, but for her it was just another good historical book, like so many others.

Bottom line--I have done too good a job of making history interesting and putting American history into context for her to really appreciate this book as I did.

Oh, I don't know. I read it with my kiddos during a unit study of the American Revolution and they LOVED it. Maybe if they're unfamiliar with the context and the history, they might think it was boring.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

My kids love that book! I think today's students may be more used to the more entertaining aspect of modern lit, as a pp mentioned.

My always homeschooled 12yo who has ZERO interest in popular lit HATED Johnny Tremain. The story is slow, the plot fairly boring, and the language difficult - I enjoyed the historical aspect of it, though.

We used it with SL 3 last year and my kids loved it. I did get the audiobook from the library and we listened to it that way instead of me reading it. My kids were 8 and 10 when we listened. My daughter, in particular, was excited about so many facts being mentioned in the book that she had just learned about.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Wow, a lot of mixed reviews here!

I've never read it... but it's actually on our school reading list for this year (5th grade, Oak Meadow). We're due to start reading it next, in fact, in like three weeks (right now we're reading "The Witch Of Blackbird Pond" and we've got to finish that first).

Whenever there is an "assigned" book through the OM curriculum, my daughter and I always read it together, taking turns reading it aloud.

I hope we are in the "like it" camp and don't find it too boring! :D

My 5th grade teacher read this aloud to us - probably during an afternoon snack time (I remember sitting at my desk listening, and I remember when Johnny got silver all over his hand). That was our social studies lesson for as long as it took him to read it.

I wonder now how much of it I missed - I got mono at some point in 5th grade, so I don't know if I actually heard the whole book. At the time it was kind of boring (it was about a BOY in HISTORY and neither were things I wanted to read about at that time, and i'm still no big fan of history).

I'm probably weird, but I read it in 7th grade, and hated it. I was haunted (and literally nauseated) by the description of one of the bodies on the battlefield. I was rather sheltered, but that is the ONLY thing I remember about that book.

I didn't read Johnny Tremain until I was an adult, and I really liked it. But my seventh grade students at school really hate it. They say it is so boring.

I'm curious to see to your kids have felt the same way. I wonder if it is a maturity thing. Anyway, I need to decide soon whether or not I'm going to include it this year.

Any ideas? Or any ideas for a replacement book for that same time period in American history?

Some of it might be a personality thing. Both my daughters loved it. But both of their best friends hated it. I think it presents an interesting take on "discrimination" for lack of a better word, against handicapped people, especially in that time period.

I don't know. My kids loved it! But, they were younger, and I read it aloud.

I would guess that your seventh graders have heard from a few kids that it was boring, so they all decided to hate it before they even read it.

Would you have time to read a chapter a day out loud? My seventh grader still loves to be read to. You could pause for discussion and explanation, or to tie it into your lessons.

All 4 of my kids loved this book, (and the movie), and a couple of them are much younger than 7th grade! Sometimes I think that kids are just jaded because they are bombarded with so much entertainment. My kids are restricted to pretty safe and simple fare. I've also noticed that sometimes kids say things are "boring" because they're trying to be cool. They might actually be enjoying something, but are afraid to admit to it because it's not the latest fad?

HTH, Jackie

We read it aloud when my boys were 8 and 5. They both loved it, but we were doing SOTW so they had a background connection. They both disliked the movie.

It seems like many of the people who are saying their children enjoyed this book have younger children and read it aloud to them. Maybe that is the key? The kids are still young enough that they find the history exciting and they are making connections with what they have just learned. Plus, as a read-aloud, it is not as overwhelming as reading it on your own.

Lisa

I'm a bit amused by the posts that seem to imply that not liking Johnny Tremain is a moral failing on the part of the reader. Maybe it's just not THAT great of a book. Or perhaps it speaks to some and not others.

Now our family really liked Carry On, Mr Bowditch, but didn't much care for Johnny Tremain. Other folks go the other way. Others didn't like either, but that doesn't mean they're stupid or just following some fashion without thinking.

A discerning reader will have their likes and dislikes, find some books interesting and others not worth their while -- but just because someone didn't like a book that you happened to like doesn't mean they can't read properly, or have been exposed to too much (the implication that that big world out there is evil and will spoil one's good taste). And that is what some here are saying.

I know, I know, people will come back and say that that wasn't what they meant at all, and why did I take their words the wrong way, but this is what their words are saying.

It seems like many of the people who are saying their children enjoyed this book have younger children and read it aloud to them. Maybe that is the key? The kids are still young enough that they find the history exciting and they are making connections with what they have just learned. Plus, as a read-aloud, it is not as overwhelming as reading it on your own.

Lisa

I was one of the ones whose kids didn't like the book. We did it as a read-aloud when ds's were 10 and 7, and we were studying that time period in history.

Now it could be that my ds's have never been fans of historical fiction. Ds1 doesn't like fiction all that much and ds2 prefers action/adventure type stories.

Cinder

I'm a bit amused by the posts that seem to imply that not liking Johnny Tremain is a moral failing on the part of the reader.

Do you have an example? I just read the whole thread and didn't see anything about moral failure. One poster mentioned that the 7th graders might be all agreeing just to be cool. But I didn't read that as a judgment.

Do you have an example? I just read the whole thread and didn't see anything about moral failure. One poster mentioned that the 7th graders might be all agreeing just to be cool. But I didn't read that as a judgment.

OK, I'm glad it wasn't just me :001_huh:.