Menu

What are you using for Cursive?

BlessedMom

Dd the "Italics Beautiful Handwriting for Children" by Penny Gardner.

www.pennygardner.com

Pros:

The course takes you step by step through the strokes of handwriting. Penny has uploaded instruction videos on You Tube as a service to the parent/student.

The course is affordable.

Cons:

Children who have not developed fine motor skills could have a hard time coordinating the strokes.

Startwrite worked well for us. They have a few different cursive fonts to choose from, and some beginner cursive pages already in the software. It was easy to create our own pages. I made some really nice Aesop copywork with pictures by Milo Winter, and it was very easy to do. I used it a lot more than I thought I would. If I hadn't used that I probably would have used the program from Memoria Press.

We looked for a handwriting style that was as close to the traditional Spencerian handwriting as possible, without being ridiculously fussy. My left-hander has been using Diana Hanbury King's book, and my right-hander is going through the Christian Liberty Press series - Writing with Diligence (G1), Writing with Prayer (G2), Writing with Grace (G3) and Writing with Power (G4). These make extensive use of Biblical words and phrases which suits us but I appreciate that not everyone wants this.

So the pros - DHK Left Handed Handwriting is one of the very few handwriting books for left-handers. It teaches the child to slant their letters backwards, thereby enabling the child to write without smudging their letters as they move their hand across the page. IMO it's a good style, pleasant to look at and easy to read. The pages are perforated so that you can photocopy the page for extra practice or multiple students.

CLP Writing with -- books are again, IMO, a good style and the fact that you have 4 books is for us a very good thing as DD9 needs lots of practise with her handwriting. If you want Christian content it has plenty of it.

Cons - DHK LHanded is one book and therefore doesn't have as much practise as I'd like. If I'd realised that you could take the pages out and photocopy them before DD10 started the book I probably would have done, but stupid me didn't notice them until she was about halfway through. Fortunately she finds handwriting quite easy so it wasn't a disaster.

As far as I know, DHK has right-handed handwriting books too and if I remember correctly there's more than one book as well. We did use A Reason for Handwriting at the beginning but found the CLP books and preferred the style.

HTH.

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

Pros - easy to read, easy to transition from HWT print. Love this handwriting program overall.

Cons - some may think it's on the ugly side, but I happen to love it now and think other cursive is on the ugly side, hehe.

I use StartWrite Handwriting Wizard software for HWT print and cursive practice.

Handwriting Without Tears here as well. I don't like fancy/loopy cursive so it's a nice fit for us.

The Girl is a lefty and she likes it though we've not really looked into any other program. We'll probably finish out the workbook (4th grade) and be done. Her cursive is solid though she doesn't use it as much as I'd like (we're getting there and should be where I want her to be by Christmas) but she's getting better about it.

And the 1st grade level has really helped The Boy with his penmanship - it's much improved after just 6 weeks of work.

Smith-Hand.

Pros: It looks like my handwriting, so my dd is actually starting to be able to read my cursive.

Cons: It's a bare-bones system. No bells or whistles. I don't need them, and neither does my dd who's driven to learn cursive. But, I thought I should mention that for folks not in our situation.

We have used Pentime in the past. Now, I make my own copywork with Educational Fontware, which has the Pentime font.

Pros: It is the most similar to my handwriting, inexpensive, cute, wholesome, comes in grades 3-8 (for cursive; 1+2 are ball and stick), and last the year at two pages/wk. It is also similar to (but not identical to) CLE's cursive, in case we ever switch from R&S Grammar to CLE LA :lol: Ds *loved* it!

Cons: Is not secular, if that's a concern.

We're not using it this year because we have so much already on our plate, not because of any dissatisfaction we had with the program. We may pick it up in later years. :)

I started with Cursive First. We did that for a few weeks. I like the font, but the practice pages are boring, boring, boring. So I bought StartWrite and started to make copywork. At that point, I thought I should have just purchased StartWrite from the beginning and skipped the formal program. So we used that for about a month. But then we started our spelling lists in SWR, and I feel like that is enough practice in handwriting, so we are no longer doing either Cursive First or StartWrite.

• 2 weeks later...

There are TWO different Zaner-Bloser handwriting series:

one that uses traditional Zaner-Bloser method and the other using Zaner-Bloser's simplified letter forms. The traditional method is considered more graceful with its additional loops and curves.

The simplified forms are printed with continuous strokes most of the time in contrast to ball-and-stick printing and cursive capitals requiring three separate strokes. Many teachers consider it easier for children to make the transition from manuscript to cursive with simplified forms. (Note that simplified forms are not the same as slant print style although there are similarities in approach.) Either series will provide all you need to teach your child both manuscript and cursive handwriting.

We use the little PRACTICE Cursive Handwriting booklets from Essential Learning Products (ELP). The cursive starts at book 3 (or 3rd grade). Here is a link to some for you to see:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&category=Homes\

chool&N=1014667+4294956913+5401&Ne=12000&Nso=1&Nu=product.endeca_rollup&format=1\

014667&Ns=product.number_sold

Some of the things I like:

It goes through all the lowercase letters first (although just in alpha order). Alot of cursive books have both lower and upper case on the same page - I don't like that. Lowercase letters should be taught first and according the stroke "families". I just tell him what letter I want him to do for that day, so I don't go in alpha order.

The book is half a page tall. It doesn't seem overwhelming. Our DS (4th grade) keeps one in the car. It's great and small for when we have to go somewhere. He uses them while we are waiting for appointments, etc.

Do not get the 'Simplified' book.

Another free option is to go to the ZB fontsonline

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=4296. Click on 2nd grade and then cursive. You can make your own practice pages in the recommended lined paper width! I often do these as well.

I feel that (for us) hands-down these are great, especially when first learning the letter strokes.

I also have some of the Sandi Queen Homeschool's Pictures in Cursive. But, they have uppercase and lowercase on the same page. I think these will be better to use later. Maybe 5th grade or after.

:)

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

Pros - easy to read, easy to transition from HWT print. Love this handwriting program overall.

Cons - some may think it's on the ugly side, but I happen to love it now and think other cursive is on the ugly side, hehe.

:iagree:

I also think that HWT will teach them to write in cursive but "style" will come later. I know that my handwriting has changed several times over the years since I learned cursive in 2nd grade.

For practice sheets or other printouts, I use Educational Fontware in Pages or Word.

We're using Cheerful Cursive.

Pros:

Similar letters are grouped together...like l and e

Practices reading cursive...lots of activities to circle a certain letter in a sentence

activities to change cursive into print or print into cursive

both styles of Q are taught...also, many font styles of capital letters are shown

wholesome words and Bible verses...My DD has learned quite a few new words since many are rather old fashioned

Cons:

more expensive than other workbooks, but I think you can photocopy it for your family...which I'd realized that before DD started writing in the book.

Peterson Directed Handwriting.

Pros: Beautiful cursive results. Teaches the basic motions, then how to put them together to form letters (instead of learning to "draw" each letter individually). As my Mom said, watching dd7 produce beautiful handwriting, "Why that's just how the nuns taught us how to write!"

Cons: World's most useless, confusing teacher's manual, matched only by their confusing website.

Hint: Skip the recorded songs & CD; totally unnecessary.

We have used Pentime in the past. Now, I make my own copywork with Educational Fontware, which has the Pentime font.

Pros: It is the most similar to my handwriting, inexpensive, cute, wholesome, comes in grades 3-8 (for cursive; 1+2 are ball and stick), and last the year at two pages/wk. It is also similar to (but not identical to) CLE's cursive, in case we ever switch from R&S Grammar to CLE LA :lol: Ds *loved* it!

Cons: Is not secular, if that's a concern.

We're not using it this year because we have so much already on our plate, not because of any dissatisfaction we had with the program. We may pick it up in later years. :)

Pentime is great and I lean towards secular materials:)

HWT. I thought about switching when we started cursive, but all the other cursive handwriting books I could get my hands on looked so busy. The white space on the HWT pages was a relief, and I could tell at a glance where he was supposed to write and what/how. I figured that if *I* had that strong a reaction, HWT would probably be better for *him*.

I have used Getty Dubay Italics with both my boys and really like it. I use Julie Shields copywork books to give them extra practice in writing.

I also use G-D Italics for my dd, and I really appreciate your sharing about the Julie Shields copywork books. I had never seen them until now, so I looked them up and downloaded two books! This is going to be fantastic!

For anyone interested, you can go to Lulu.com and do a search on 'Julie Shields' for several workbook choices in handwriting styles that she offers, or you could do a search on 'copywork italics' and those specifically will come up. You have a choice of hardcopy workbooks or download pdf files, all for very reasonable prices.

Very nice!

As to pros and cons: This method is great for children who struggle to gain nice handwriting, but it is also wonderful for all students. It can be used for remedial purposes as well as a basic method taught from primary grades and up. Italic handwriting looks very stylish, yet it is easy rather than complicated to learn. I am a part-time teacher at a private school where this method is taught, and I have to say that the handwriting of most of my students is just amazing. We find that with the G-D method, the student's handwriting is very legible and easy to read, not to mention beautiful in appearance. The cons are that you also need to teach students how to read traditional loopy cursive written by others, and you may need to assure some students that it's all right to have a different style of handwriting than some of their friends...

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

For anyone interested, you can go to Lulu.com and do a search on 'Julie Shields' for several workbook choices in handwriting styles that she offers, or you could do a search on 'copywork italics' and those specifically will come up. You have a choice of hardcopy workbooks or download pdf files, all for very reasonable prices.

Do they have any samples of the books? I couldn't see any, unless I'm just missing it.

I bought a book from EPS (I think) Easy Handwriting series, maybe. I HATE it. It makes the whole task more complicated than it has to be, imo and boring and tedious.

So everyday I am writing out the name (first, middle, and last) of one family member. DD gets to pick and, of course, we started with her name.

She traces over the name while I watch. If she has any difficulty with a particular letter or with the way they are joined then I isolate it and have her practice that a bit...all while I'm watching. Then she writes the name on her own. When that is successful (usually one or two tries) then I give her cursive homework. She is to write that same name down the page 10 times.

The next day I check it and go over anything that didn't go well. Today we had to go over the lower case b. And then our new name had another lower case b in it to continue her practice.

I figure by the time we work out everyone's name in our family she'll be ready for the Daily Handwriting book I got her in Contemporary Cursive.

It's working very well. She is highly motivated and the whole thing makes more sense to my brain and to her brain as well. I will say that it took her about a week to get her own name down (and now she writes it incessantly :001_smile:) But once that was down the other names are coming quite quickly. One per day or every other.

Cursive First for the "How to..."

Pro - simple directions, inexpensive

Con - pages are boring...and to make it work for littles we make some messes with sand and chalk and paints and play-doh...IOW, I don't use it like a scripted lesson book.

Abeka K Cursive (once basic strokes are learned through methods other than pencil/paper)

Pro - colorful pages, same house diagram as CF, progresses from letters-to words-to sentences and keeps letters in constant review.

Con - shipping costs from Abeka:glare:

My 7yo just does spelling & copywork in cursive now. No program.

Pro - it's certainly cheap and efficient!

Con - none

We use HWT. When Thing 1 was starting printing, that's what his Occupational Therapist was using, so we bought the same thing to use at home.

After they do all the practice for one letter in the book, I give them more practice on the HWT paper until the letter is better mastered. I found that the Hasbro site has a Scrabble word builder and I use that when I feel at a loss for what other words we can write with the letters the boys have learned. YOu're not limited to 7 letters, either. I did find that the builder won't automatically double any of the letters, so I've started listing each one twice. Your list of possible words increases dramatically that way :)

Regarding Zaner Bloser, why did you say "Do not get the 'Simplified' book." ?

I will check back to see what your response is.

There are TWO different Zaner-Bloser handwriting series:

one that uses traditional Zaner-Bloser method and the other using Zaner-Bloser's simplified letter forms. The traditional method is considered more graceful with its additional loops and curves.

The simplified forms are printed with continuous strokes most of the time in contrast to ball-and-stick printing and cursive capitals requiring three separate strokes. Many teachers consider it easier for children to make the transition from manuscript to cursive with simplified forms. (Note that simplified forms are not the same as slant print style although there are similarities in approach.) Either series will provide all you need to teach your child both manuscript and cursive handwriting.

We use the little PRACTICE Cursive Handwriting booklets from Essential Learning Products (ELP). The cursive starts at book 3 (or 3rd grade). Here is a link to some for you to see:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&category=Homes\

chool&N=1014667+4294956913+5401&Ne=12000&Nso=1&Nu=product.endeca_rollup&format=1\

014667&Ns=product.number_sold

Some of the things I like:

It goes through all the lowercase letters first (although just in alpha order). Alot of cursive books have both lower and upper case on the same page - I don't like that. Lowercase letters should be taught first and according the stroke "families". I just tell him what letter I want him to do for that day, so I don't go in alpha order.

The book is half a page tall. It doesn't seem overwhelming. Our DS (4th grade) keeps one in the car. It's great and small for when we have to go somewhere. He uses them while we are waiting for appointments, etc.

Do not get the 'Simplified' book.

Another free option is to go to the ZB fontsonline

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=4296. Click on 2nd grade and then cursive. You can make your own practice pages in the recommended lined paper width! I often do these as well.

I feel that (for us) hands-down these are great, especially when first learning the letter strokes.

I also have some of the Sandi Queen Homeschool's Pictures in Cursive. But, they have uppercase and lowercase on the same page. I think these will be better to use later. Maybe 5th grade or after.

:)

I'm sure anything that engages your child and works for your family is wonderful. I always say to go with what feels right for your needs. So, if you are already using the Simplified book (or can't find a small practice book), just keep up the good work.

The original recommendation from WTM was for the PRACTICE book I suggested. It isn't full of 'fluff'.

IMO the simplified book has a bunch of full sized pictures that are unnecessary and poems, etc. (in print). It is 'busy' to me. I don't see the practical benefit of showing a person on a swing to demonstrate an undercurve.

If you are wanting something (truly) simple, and very traditional, try the little practice books.

Please don't let my opinion sway you or make you second guess something that might work for you.

:D

Thanks for responding. I haven't seen both workbooks so it's difficult to compare the two programs. I've only seen the samples on christianbook.com of the Practice books. I have the Simplified program but have not used it yet. I am wondering if there is any difference in the way the letters are formed in the Simplified books compared to the Practice book you linked. I agree that 'extras' such as full sized pictures are unnecessary, but we can just over look what is unhelpful. I am more concerned with the instruction and type of practice in each book.

Do you happen to know if the style of letters and way of forming the letters is the same in the Simplified books compared to the Practice books ?

Thank you in advance.

Sherry

I'm sure anything that engages your child and works for your family is wonderful. I always say to go with what feels right for your needs. So, if you are already using the Simplified book (or can't find a small practice book), just keep up the good work.

The original recommendation from WTM was for the PRACTICE book I suggested. It isn't full of 'fluff'.

IMO the simplified book has a bunch of full sized pictures that are unnecessary and poems, etc. (in print). It is 'busy' to me. I don't see the practical benefit of showing a person on a swing to demonstrate an undercurve.

If you are wanting something (truly) simple, and very traditional, try the little practice books.

Please don't let my opinion sway you or make you second guess something that might work for you.

:D

OK, I wanted to post because this is not a curriculum I knew anything about or would have known to consider, but I found a copy at a local homeschool store and it was perfect for us. Traditional cursive handwriting (yes, loops and all), and comes in a Kindergarten level book (wide lines). It turned out to be perfect for both my boys--the 6 year old has great eye hand coordination and was ready to learn cursive. The 8 year old needed to move on to cursive, but has a very hard time with writing. The "K" level book has been perfect for him as well. His handwriting has improved amazingly!

No frills, cheap. We do two pages a day which are in the traditional trace, then copy format.

I have used Getty Dubay Italics with both my boys and really like it. I use Julie Shields copywork books to give them extra practice in writing.

Thank you, thank you! I am so glad to have found Julie Shields copybooks. I've been looking for something like this.

Please share what you are using for cursive>

Pros?

Cons?

Well this isn't exactly a popular program here but I started Abe with Abeka before I read WTM. It's what I used when I was little and when Helen was little, so since I was very familiar w/ it & can describe stroke formation w/o the TM I'm using it w/ Zeke too. I hate their Qs that look like 2s so I modify those.

I mainly use the 2nd grade Writing W/ Phonics Manuscript to Cursive book as the instructional basis. After that I have them practice on pages I print from the ZB site, from my Presidential Penmanship CD-Rom (covers penmanship/copywork through grade 12), or do other writing assignments in cursive with a formation guide in front of them and the understanding that it counts as penmanship (so it better be formed correctly and neatly).

ETA: If I were starting all over again; I'd choose something "prettier" like Getty-Dubbay or Classically Cursive.

Donna Young has some neat little videos and printouts on her site for cursive connections, esp. ones where one letter is changed slightly due to the particular letter it's next to (ex. in "we", e will start off from a higher point, also after some capitals too). The videos are super helpful for showing formation w/o my hand being in the way.

OK, I wanted to post because this is not a curriculum I knew anything about or would have known to consider, but I found a copy at a local homeschool store and it was perfect for us. Traditional cursive handwriting (yes, loops and all), and comes in a Kindergarten level book (wide lines). It turned out to be perfect for both my boys--the 6 year old has great eye hand coordination and was ready to learn cursive. The 8 year old needed to move on to cursive, but has a very hard time with writing. The "K" level book has been perfect for him as well. His handwriting has improved amazingly!

No frills, cheap. We do two pages a day which are in the traditional trace, then copy format.

Kay, that was a great find. We love McRuffy (using their phonics, color math and science). I wanted to mention a site someone posted the other day. It appears to have the exact same Cursive font that McRuffy uses. Plus the site is free, so you can print off pages for copywork.

http://www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting.html

We started out with A Reason for Handwriting when my boys were first starting out. They enjoyed the special coloring pages which they could gift to family and friends. But each one of them seemed to get overwhelmed or bored at some point by the daily assignments. So, we switched to Handwriting Without Tears and they have all love it. My 5th-grader, who gets frustrated easily but actually has really nice handwriting, is doing HWT's Can-Do Cursive this year, which is their highest level. I like the mix of cursive practice and grammar tidbits in this book. Through the years, if they finish their HWT book early, we have gone back to Reason for Handwriting for a little "extra" penmanship practice.

I also think that HWT will teach them to write in cursive but "style" will come later. I know that my handwriting has changed several times over the years since I learned cursive in 2nd grade.

:iagree: HWT has been easier to teach the basics and how it strings together. They can change it up and make it prettier if they want later. My dds already add in some of their own flair.

I know I have a Simplified book (somewhere :001_huh:).

Give me a few days to track it down and I'll give you detail on both.

Thanks for responding. I haven't seen both workbooks so it's difficult to compare the two programs. I've only seen the samples on christianbook.com of the Practice books. I have the Simplified program but have not used it yet. I am wondering if there is any difference in the way the letters are formed in the Simplified books compared to the Practice book you linked. I agree that 'extras' such as full sized pictures are unnecessary, but we can just over look what is unhelpful. I am more concerned with the instruction and type of practice in each book.

Do you happen to know if the style of letters and way of forming the letters is the same in the Simplified books compared to the Practice books ?

Thank you in advance.

Sherry

How wonderful!

(Green with envy :D)

I found a copy at a local homeschool store and it was perfect for us. Traditional cursive handwriting (yes, loops and all), and comes in a Kindergarten level book (wide lines). No frills, cheap. We do two pages a day which are in the traditional trace, then copy format.

Thanks, AprilMay! That's great! I like how you can adjust the size and the display of the lines.

You can?! I just went back to check and sure enough. I had spent so much time going back and forth from that site and McRuffy's site. I typed in all the alphabet, upper and lower case, to compare to the McRuffy samples. It took me awhile, but it looks exactly the same. I guess I was so busy doing that that I didn't notice you can change the size. I like how you can make it go either tall or wide. Anyway....more to love about that site!

I chose Cursive First for my youngest who has had fine motor issues, and I didn't start in earnest until he was about 10, after a few false starts in 2nd and 3rd (he just wasn't ready). My older kids had used ABeka and it worked great for all of them, but this guy was having trouble with it. So after looking around a bit I chose Cursive First.

Reason: I like the way every lower case letter starts on the base line, so that learning to join the letters is a little easier. I also liked the font style, which was kind of like traditional cursive, but without a lot of the frilly loopy extra strokes that many other cursives have. My ds just needed something basic. I considered HWT but decided against it (for some reason which I can't remember).

How I do it: I make up my own exercises in a composition book. One page per day. I don't plan very far ahead, so that I can make sure I focus on what exactly he needs to practice. I have done phonograms, spelling words, vocabulary words, grammar stuff, anything he needs to work on, and of course, he practices his signature, which I think is important. So, basically, I just use the font style and make up my own exercises. I bought Cursive First, photocopied the page with the alphabet on it, changed a few things around to my liking, to make forming the letters a little easier for ds, and then went ahead and used that amended photocopy as my guide, and I actually don't use their exercises at all. It takes me about 5 minutes to prepare the next day's practice page for ds, and he does it on his own. EASY!!

Hope you find just the right thing!

Blessings,