Menu

Strange moral dilemma for me regarding my professor. (heavy CC)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not reading the entire thread. Enough people seem to think you are being a little too sensitive or offended and need to get over it. I don't think that.

This week my sil exclaimed J**** C****t! I stopped her cold because she has been saying OH MY G** to me on the phone always and I was finally sick sick sick of it.

Yes, for people who are supposed to be well-educated, intelligent and they can't come up with better language to express themselves, it is not a very adequate way for them to show their intelligence, hm?

I said to her "stop it right now. I'm not going to put up with you talking like that to me." She surprisingly immediately said "I'm sorry."

And we continued our conversation.

You never know what someone's response is going to be and at least you will have tried, right? You may be surprised at the outcome, and may not.

I encourage you to stand up for what you feel is right.

I had something similar happen in a class. Even though I do believe you have to develop a deaf ear to a lot of this stuff in college, that does not mean that you are giving away all of your rights. It is your class too and there is no reason why you should not mention that the language is offensive. If you don't want this to potentially effect your grade then put it in a teacher evaluation at the end of class. If you have a diversity office I would also write a letter there. The college needs to know that the rights of Christians should be protected in the same way that other faiths are within our institutions. IMO, there is no way an instructor would use the name Allah in the same way during a class without some backlash. And I am saying this as a Muslim.

In my case I was offended because my instructor, who made it known that he was an atheist, would subtly make light of the beliefs of different faiths. In particular the Catholic faith. Having been raised Catholic I was deeply burdened by this. l went to the dean of my department and shared my views. Ultimately, I ended up dropping the class. It did cost me a lot of money, but I feel strongly that I should not have to sit through a lecture that bothers me at the core. The dean was very receptive and I felt better just knowing that I had voiced my feelings.

I hope that you are able to come to peace with this. I know how troubling it can be.

ETA: I had not read through the entire thread and did not know that the topic of Muslims was being discussed already. So...take my post on its own and not piggybacking on the others. Sorry about that, I'll read first next time.

Lesley

Edited by oldskool

I just went and searched through all my concordances and hebrew dictionaries, and I cannot find where saying, "Oh my God" is blasphemy :glare:.

Exodus 20:7 says "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain."

"take" is refering to becoming known as one of his followers...similar to a wife "takeing" her husbands name.

It would be like me, "takeing" my husbands name, and then going and commiting adultery. Also, "God" is not His name. Jehovah is one of His names.

I know that many traditions, hold to that being wrong...but it is always good to look and see if this a command or a tradition, passed down by man.

I don't know that this proffessor has taken the name of God for herself, even if she has...she's saying "Oh, my (fill in the designation)."

My designation is woman or human...it's kinda like saying, "Oh, my human!" It's not saying "Oh, my Richelle!"

Okay, I think I have totally beaten the horse to a pulp :D!

I would be really curious why it is considered blasphemy? I'm being genuine...I just don't get it :001_smile:.

Edited by simka2

Lots of people throw around the "Oh my God" phrase. I try to watch what I say, but sometimes it still comes out of me. It is more of a habit than anything else because i got into the habit of saying it when I was young. When it does come out, I am definitely not thinking about blaspheming God. KWIM? Of course, I can't stand to hear "God-d$%^" and will get up and leave a movie or a room if I hear it. I understand the discomfort you feel, but I agree that you may just have to pray for her and do your best to ignore it. You may try speaking to her, but I highly doubt it will do much more than make her defensive. :(

The way I read it was the professor was saying "God da**"....that is blasphemy in my book.

The OP has only indicated that the professor has said "oh my God," not God d*mn:

I'm back in school, and I have a professor who blasphemes. She regularly says 'Oh my G-d', or says 'G-d' in a way that is not at all religious, iykwim. She hasn't just 'slipped' and said it once; it's a regular part of her vocabulary.

Many Christians, including several evangelical/creationist/young earth/biblical literalist relatives of mine, do not consider "oh my God" to be blasphemous at all. To me, this is very much a matter of interpretation, and asking a professor at a public institution to abide by one particular student's interpretation of a commandment in a religion that the professor may not even belong to, seems inappropriate to me. If the worst thing this professor is saying is "oh my God," then her vocabulary is much cleaner than most of the professors I had in grad school!

Jackie

I haven't read all umpteen pages of the responses so far, but if I were in your shoes, I would get through the class as quietly as possible, and then I would FILL OUT THE SURVEY at the end of the semester. Include your feedback, that's what the form is for.

Also, I might schedule an appointment with the Academic Dean. Many (most?) community colleges are very secular (IMO), so I doubt that preaching to the dean is going to bear much fruit. But you should voice your objections to the UNPROFESSIONAL conduct of your professor, and state that you feel his/her behavior reflects poorly on the school. Here are some questions for the dean:

• Why is this language necessary?
  • How does this language develop professionalism (or "casualism") in the students?
  • How does it contribute to (or detract from)the students' mastery of the course content?
  • Would the college object to the professor saying, "Oh, Buddha!" or "Oh, Muhammad?"
  • If so, then why is "Oh, God!" acceptable?

When meeting with the dean, I wouldn't call it "blasphemy," as that's a bit too much "Christianese," KWIM? Sort of along the same lines as calling cohabitation "fornication." To a Christian, that's what it IS, but to a non-Christian, the label sounds archaic and prudish.

So, meet with your Academic Dean, tell him/her that you object to the unprofessional and harsh-sounding language of your professor. Complaint registered.

Then fill out the questionnaire/survey at the end of the course.

I would also shop around for another school, and maybe mention this in my meeting with the dean. ;) Just my two cents. HTH.

Wheeeeee...LOL As always, yep, this thread took a turn (but really, who didn't see that coming? Isn't religion on the "list"??/ LOL)

I just wanted to say that when I was in college, at a State university, I had a philosophy teacher who waited until the free drop period was over and then tried making us all read Neitzsche. I had a TA who was sleeping with half the female class and failed me when I refused him. I had countless teachers who let words fly in lectures that would make your hair curl. A lot of us actually would remark on it during class to one another (and we were a bunch of rowdy 19 year olds. I was pregnant and had just gotten married...yep, in that order...) I also had a boss once who dropped God D&^* daily and would cuss you out if you looked at him wrong (and this was a professional career in an engineering firm, no less). It annoyed me, but I needed my job. I never felt like God would want me to leave my job because of my boss. I did, however, tell my prof. where he could stick Neitszche and took my D in the class with pride!

You know,

If she's saying 'Oh MY God', how do you even know that she's referring to the Christian God in the first place? Perhaps she has another God and is making a reference to HER God? Additionally, why should she be compelled to follow one specific student's interpretation of a religious commandment? Should she also have to follow any other student's interpretation of their sacred book as well? Must she resign from teaching if a male in the class feels that a woman should not be teaching males, according to his interpretation of his sacred book? Must she wear a skirt, if a member of the class decides that her sacred book states that women must wear skirts? And what if two people have distinctly conflicting religious beliefs? Must they split the class?

That being said -- if you quietly mentioned to her that when she said it, you found it jarring because you were unused to the language, and it made it difficult for you to focus on the coursework, she may very well attempt to at least modify her language somewhat. Or she may not. Or she mightn't be able to change such a habit. But it's your best bet for reasonable accommodation within the public university.

I wouldn't recommend going to the Dean. It's very unlikely to have a positive outcome, if speaking to the professor doesn't, and has quite a few potential negatives. Not least because faculty gossip, even when they're not supposed to, and some of them may well be inclined to be retaliatory, gradewise or otherwise. For example, if they know that someone's the type of person who's always ready to complain to the boss, it may very well cause them to write a lukewarm recommendation letter when you in fact deserve a far better letter.

Lastly, if that language bothers you to the point as to where you're unable to continue in a class, it may be very, very difficult for you to complete a degree at a public university. You might be better served at a private Christian college, or taking classes online -- people are often far more careful with their language when it is being recorded.

Yes, you want an education, but along the way, you are simply going to have to learn that diversity means accepting that not everyone shares your worldview, too.

:iagree:

No, but if a Muslim student asked a professor to stop using a particularly offensive phrase, I would bet an attempt would be made to accomodate.

:confused: Prejudiced much?

Or refusing to capitalize God when referring to Muslim beliefs? "Allah" is the Arabic word for God, not a specific name anymore than "God" is a specific name in English.

Thank you for this courtesy.

BTW, it is interesting how as a Muslim I get dragged into a discussion that was totally unrelated to my religion nor did any Muslims interfere in it. Gosh. (Or might I dare say, Oh, my God?????)

I agree w/ Elizabeth & Osmosis Mom. The behavior sure is ironic, no?

I read all 12 pages and cannot believe this was not suggested.

Bethany, when you hear "Oh, my G-d," silently/privately add to it so you are finishing a prayer. I often add:

• thank you for this day.
  • help us to be better people.
  • let me love you more

Any thing that you can add to it to turn it into prayer instead of blasphemy is a good thing. Even something as simple as silently saying "amen."

Before we moved dd has a friend from the neighborhood. When this young man played video games he often got excited and the OMGs would fly. I got a lot of praise praying on those days.

• Would the college object to the professor saying, "Oh, Buddha!" or "Oh, Muhammad?"

QUOTE]

1. Because "Oh, my god" is colloquial for a high percentage of the folks who use it.

2. "god" here is not viewed as being owned by any specific religious group and I don't think a Christian can claim this expression any more than someone who worships a deity in the Greek pantheon, etc.

T.

QUOTE]

1. Because "Oh, my god" is colloquial for a high percentage of the folks who use it.

2. "god" here is not viewed as being owned by any specific religious group and I don't think a Christian can claim this expression any more than someone who worships a deity in the Greek pantheon, etc.

T.

It is when it is said with the little "g" as you typed it. When it is said and meant as the proper name of the Judeo-Christian deity (capital G) it is just as offensive to many Chrisitans and Jews as the above examples are to Muslims and Buddhists.

It is when it is said with the little "g" as you typed it. When it is said and meant as the proper name of the Judeo-Christian deity (capital G) it is just as offensive to many Chrisitans and Jews as the above examples are to Muslims and Buddhists.

Is it possible to know whether the person is using big G or little g in speech?

Sorry, apples and oranges. You have no idea what god the speaker is referring to, if any at all.

Is it possible to know whether the person is using big G or little g in speech?

Sorry, apples and oranges. You have no idea what god the speaker is referring to, if any at all.

No, no one really knows what is going on in another's mind. Isn't it just better to err on the side of caution then in a public setting and try not to be offensive. To inadvertantly offend people is just as rude as a purposeful offending.

I might cuss like the sailor's daughter that I am at home when it is just me and dh, but I don't do it in a public setting simply because I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. To do so would be rude. It really does come down to manners.

I don't want to participate in blasphemy, even if that means dropping a college class I paid for.

You just answered your own question.

Personally, I completely disagree with you and I would handle it differently. But I'm not you, and neither are any of these other people. If this is weighing on your mind so heavily, I would venture to guess you already know the answer but for some reason you're resistant to it. I'd hate to lose money that way, but my feelings and personal well-being are more important than cash.

No, no one really knows what is going on in another's mind. Isn't it just better to err on the side of caution then in a public setting and try not to be offensive. To inadvertantly offend people is just as rude as a purposeful offending.

I might cuss like the sailor's daughter that I am at home when it is just me and dh, but I don't do it in a public setting simply because I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. To do so would be rude. It really does come down to manners.

Re: manners I avoid saying "omg" because of my own religious background and the fact that severl of my friends would probably stop having anything to do with me if I said such a thing on a regular basis. *sigh*

In the same vein, probably the professor doesn't realize that her student struggles with this colloquial expression as such a traumatic distraction. Maybe it will help the professor to have it explained to her, maybe not. (There was a woman at my past place of employment who was deeply aggrieved at the expression "geez" or "gee" claiming it was short for "Jesus"--and therefore blasphemy. I'm sure it would be nice for everyone in the world to just avoid everyone else's touchy spots, however bizarre, but. . . really, now.) I hope the OP can either adjust or do what she needs to do to avoid such pain in the future.

If this is an issue of politeness, that's fine. But you can't regulate or legislate polite--especially when the base issue is "blasphemy", I don't think. Especially when you don't have any proof that the persion is even blaspheming your particular deity.

Also, I disagree that being unintentionally rude is equally bad as being intentionally rude. But, I'm pretty easy-going, and I tend to take a person's intention and heart into consideration.

T.

Edited by freethinkermama

Guest janainaz

If you look at your professor as someone that God created, and loves, not someone that God is angry at - it might help. The Christian faith is based on the fact that Christ died for all, even the professor standing in your classroom being offensive. Not all people are on the same path, and even Jesus was a friend of sinners.

Seeking the good in people brings great rewards. Most people really don't intentionally do things to make others angry. Some people don't even realize they are being offensive, and to take it personally means you believe the intent of your professor is to offend you.

I'm way too tired to read this whole thread, but I'll say what I've said to others who've had the same issue:

It's a secular school. Most of the professors are not going to share your world-view or belief system and even fewer will change their ways if approached. I understand your position, really. But, IMO and IME drawing attention to how offensive this is won't end well. At best, you've now drawn attention to yourself in a negative way. Meaning, the teacher now knows there's something about her you don't like and the chances of her passive-aggressively antagonizing you with this do exist. Obviously, I don't know this teacher personally, but having an EX who's a CC prof, I've seen it time and time and time again. If this teacher is tenured, there's really nothing you can do to change this. She can say what she wants and won't be fired or reprimanded for it. You'd be shocked if I told you some of the things I've had CC teachers say in class.

So, your options are to either drop the class or just ignore it and glean from the class the most that you can and move on. Sometimes if you just know where the teacher is coming from, it's easier to not get so upset by the things they say.

Ok, so I'm very sensitive about this subject. So if you're opinion is something like 'lady, you've gone off the deep end, and need help', maybe don't post, ok? :D

I haven't been in school for eight years. The last time I was, I wasn't a born again Christian. I don't remember any of my professors in the past using language that offended me at the time.

I'm back in school, and I have a professor who blasphemes. She regularly says 'Oh my G-d', or says 'G-d' in a way that is not at all religious, iykwim. She hasn't just 'slipped' and said it once; it's a regular part of her vocabulary.

There is pretty much nothing I hate hearing worse than blasphemy. I'd rather if she used other four letter curse words than blaspheme. Ok, maybe an f-bomb would get the same reaction from me, but that's about it.

Here's my dilemma. I'm paying to go to this class. Which essentially means, I'm paying to listen to this woman blaspheme. If I was watching a movie or tv show and someone blasphemed, I'd turn it off/walk out/throw it away. Which is why I watch almost no tv or movies. If I'm listening to a radio program and someone blasphemes, I turn it off, and make a mental note not to listen to that program again.

As you can see, I'm very sensitive to it. I feel the Bible instructs us to be.

So what do I do? And since I'm going to a community college (as opposed to a private Christian college or something), I have a feeling this won't be the last time I encounter this. I'm praying about it, but I'm very conflicted. I mean, I have lots of family members who blaspheme, but I still visit them. I guess the difference here is that I'm PAYING for this woman's services, if you will, and therefore putting my 'approval' on it in a way.

Any advice? Should I talk to the prof? Someone else at the college? I can't find any code of conduct for instructors or anything.

Be nice; I'm already feeling a little silly about it, but it's really bothering me.

-Bethany (who's a little nervous to hit submit)

Around here, at the end of the semester the students are given a survey to "grade" the instructors. They are asked a lot of questions and given the opportunity to also make comments. It is done anonymously. You are probably not the only one who has noticed what this instructor has been saying but others may also not want to be complaining about it. I think you should feel free to say something in the comments if you are given this survey to "grade" the instructor. After all , you are paying for a service and the instructor is being annoying. If you would rather address this sooner, than I think you will need to say something privately to the instructor. I wouldn't go into a lot of detail about how much it bothers you or whether it bothers you if other people speak this way but just be direct and keep it simple. Keep in mind that to the professor this phrase is probably not considered to be a sin and she may be surprised that it bothers you if she has not been around others with your same view. You may want to approach it as being more of a distraction to you - making it YOUR problem, than judging the instructors motives when speaking this way. But really,it's not a professional way to be speaking. But try not to come across as judging this person. Look at it as asking the instructor to please help you to be focused on the content of the class rather than being distracted by the instructors use of this phrase.

Also, start praying for God to bless this person. Consider every time they use this phrase as a reminder to ask God to bless them and help them to come to know him and for all of their needs to be taken care of and so on.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Would Jesus sit there and not do anything? No, He would do something. He would likely overturn the tables in righteous anger. Not that you should do that LOL! But you must do something.

I disagree. Jesus went and ate dinner with those who were not followers - the tax collector, the prostitute. He saved the righteous anger for those making money in God's temple.

[Full disclosure: I haven't read the entire thread, I just woke up]

I will try to say the following as a logical statement (albeit bleary eyed), as it is not meant as any sort of attack.

If this prof is saying "oh my god", she is saying "oh my god."

She is not saying "oh Bethany's god."

While you believe in a Christian god, and therefore follow the concept that the phrase "oh my god" is blasphemy, this is not necessarily true of the general population, including this professor.

Nor does it make it true that the entire Christian population views "oh my god" as blasphemy.

Just a thought.

a

........ Would Jesus sit there and not do anything? No, He would do something. He would likely overturn the tables in righteous anger. Not that you should do that LOL! But you must do something. He will guide you if you let Him. Be open to His leading and He will speak through you when the time is right. :grouphug:

That's right. He didn't just sit there and not do anything. He took the sins of the world on himself and died for this person so they could choose, if they decide to, to be forgiven of their sins. But he didn't die just so He, or you and I , do not have to be inconvenienced by hearing someone ignorantly misuse the name of God. He died because he loves them and wants to have a relationship with them. Not just shut them up.

Judgement starts with the house of God. When Jesus overturned the money tables he wasn't expressing anger at the nonreligious (or the religious pagans ) people of that time. He was expressing His anger to the religious hypocrites who were using religion for personal gain and blaspheming God in that way.

Edited by Miss Sherry
spelling

I'm not going to read this whole thread (I need to get some sleep!) but I did want to offer this. I read about someone who was in a situation where someone he worked for was blaspheming. It offended this man greatly, but he did not feel called to "correct" the blasphemer. (And it was much more severe than just OMG -- not that I don't see your point about it being offensive, but unfortunately it's fairly standard slang in our culture).

So this man decided to praise the Lord and say a prayer (silently) for his employer every single time his employer blasphemed. The results were pretty awesome. Maybe you could do that instead of getting offended? It could become your ministry! :)

If you drop the class, who's to say the next class you won't take will have a similar situation. Unless you are going to a Christian college, I don't think you're going to have much of a leg to stand on in complaining to the college authorities. OMG is considered pretty mild in this culture.

I probably wouldn't say anything to the instructor, but I do think I would give it as feedback at the end of the course.

TO THE OP: Just a story that may be helpful.

I worked with a guy who was the king of 'blasphemers.' Called me an ignorant fool for being a Christian to my face (in love I'm sure:)). Respected me professionally, but couldn't believe that I didn't curse, didn't blaspheme, etc. etc. And that someone with my intelligence and education (not meant to be self-serving) could be 'fool' enough to be a Christian.

Fast forward 4 yrs...we both left the company for other jobs 2 yrs ago, but kept in touch, mostly for professional reasons. Last Wed. he calls me and we had a 2 hour discussion about the Gospel, the origins of the Bible, what 'evidence' supports the Christian faith, and other religions' beliefs and practices. He told me that because of a new baby, his wife's circumstances (no details needed) and some other things that have happened in his life that he is VERY ready to better understand who Christ is and what He did FOR HIM! His entire demeanor toward me was changed...Major turn-around.

You need to decide for yourself what is best for you in your case. But I just offer the story as an encouragement. I believe that by practicing grace and a servant's heart with the person in my life (to the best of my ability), I kept the door open for witnessing, and I think it's bearing some fruit now...we'll see. But you may have a similar opportunity here.

Okay, I am going to nit-pick on something several people have brought up - the end of class evaluation. The end of class evaluation is not a time to bring up personal issues you have with the professor (and yes, it is a personal issue), they are meant to discuss the content of the course you were taught, and the ability of the teacher to effectively teach the class. Unless you have personally spoken to the prof before evaluation time and s/he has purposely ignored you and the "issue" has caused her to be ineffective at teaching, then it does not belong in the evaluation. Those evaluations are on the profs permanent record (yes, they are all filed with the College) and are used for determining raises, tenure, and if the prof is trying to get a new position (especially if s/he is applying for a University profship) they must be submitted with the application.

Unfortunately, a lot of students use these evaluations as a way to air grievances that the prof knew nothing about. I received a horrible evaluation one time that declared that I was rude, disrespectful, mean to a blind student, and alot of other vitriol. It ended with the recommendation that I be removed from my position and evaluated for a mental problem. This was followed by the parting statement "I guess it is true what they say about blonds". Well, I have red hair, and was not, in fact the TA s/he was referring to - she (the blond one) had turned down a s&xu@l advance from a student and we can only assume it was from him. To make matters worse, there were 3 or 4 other reviews that basically said the same thing (friends, obviously) However, they are on my record and I was not able to get them removed, even though I talked to the prof and the dean about it.

Please think twice before doing something on an evaluation before actually talking to the prof.

[Full disclosure: I haven't read the entire thread, I just woke up]

I will try to say the following as a logical statement (albeit bleary eyed), as it is not meant as any sort of attack.

If this prof is saying "oh my god", she is saying "oh my god."

She is not saying "oh Bethany's god."

While you believe in a Christian god, and therefore follow the concept that the phrase "oh my god" is blasphemy, this is not necessarily true of the general population, including this professor.

Nor does it make it true that the entire Christian population views "oh my god" as blasphemy.

Just a thought.

a

This is exactly what my seminary trained dh said when I told him about this thread last night. I told him about my responses...and he said "but your missing the main the point, she's saying "her god"...that's not blasphemy, but it is a common misconception."

To the op...I went to bed thinking about this last night. Although, I don't agree with your conclusion...I am impressed by your heart! :D Your desire to do the right/difficult thing is very admirable!!!

I dont like to hear the Lord's name taken in vain, and I don't want to enter the debate on whether the prof is doing this or not.

I would address with her the concept of PROFESSIONALISM. A professor is a professional, and is expected to maintain certain standards. "OMG" is slang at best. I don't believe it's good form for a professor to be using slang as a regular means of communication. Humbly mention to her that, while she may not realize it, her frequently used slang expression may be offensive to some students and does not exemplify professional standards.

Edited by Leanna
forgot word

I am a Christian and I do say it sometimes(not perfect). My worry for you is what are you going to do one day when your boss says it in front of you? I completely understand where you are coming from, but maybe you need to pray for God to help you get through this class. I do believe this isn't commonplace. It sounds rather immature for the professor to say "God" during lectures unless it was a religious class. Just my 2c. Good luck.

I think the problem is a bit deeper than just one professor blaspheming though. I really don't have any desire to confuse you or make you feel guilty, but I think there is a broader issue here.

I will try very hard to say this gently. You have chosen to go to a secular institution to receive your education. There will be many more incidents similar to this one if you continue to go there. Not only will the language of the professors be a problem, but the content of the lectures will no doubt contain information that is contrary to your beliefs as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seem to be struggling with the issue of whether it is good stewardship to be taking a class in which the professor is using the Lord's name in vain throughout her lectures. I think you should be reconsidering whether it is good stewardship to be attending a secular institution at all.

If you decide there is no other alternative, then I would advise that you overlook this professor's speech. You simply cannot expect a non-believer to behave like a believer. You chose to attend a secular college in the first place. You should not be surprised to find professors speaking and acting in ways that go against your beliefs. Taking the Lord's name in vain is just the tip of the iceberg - you will keep encountering situations like this. I think you should have anticipated it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Edited by tex-mex

-Bethany (who's a little nervous to hit submit)

Not to nitpick, but I think it is important to make the distinction here--when I read this post I assumed (based on 'says 'G-d' in a way that is not at all religious, iykwim') you were talking about her saying God ***m. If you're just saying she says OMG! or Oh, God--that is a whole different issue IMO.

Coming from someone who is also truly offended by blasphemy--saying OMG or casually saying God in a conversation is not something I'd confront someone or make a formal complaint about.

We ain't gonna win this argument, Bill; we're outnumbered by the unwilling. ;)

a

I'll be on this side :D. In fact, when my students talk about blasphemy and then say it is okay to say "Oh my Gosh" or "gosh darnit" or even Jiminy Cricket (J.C). I ask if they really believe that the all-knowing and all-powerful deity is really fooled that easily? :lol:

I'm in the, "it's not blasphemy," camp myself but if it's bothering you I can't see the dilemma.

Either you speak to her after class sometime and tell her it makes you uncomfortable and see where that goes or you decide it's not an issue and move on. No writing it into evaluations later or talking about it while the prof. is not around with others that know her.

Why don't you write her a note, or just ask her out loud, "What *about* your god? You're constantly invoking your god. Or are you? I don't understand what religion has to do with this course." You have freedom of speech too.

I have been down Academia Road as far as it goes. It's ok to challenge professors occasionally. They are there because they want to teach as they see fit. Challenges are a part of their growth and yours.

She's not talking about religion. She's using a colloquialism.

I'm not Christian but I am a university instructor. OMG is not my phrase of choice, nor do I swear, but I agree with the person who said way, way upthread that the way to phrase the concern to the instructor is that it's "distracting." Personally, I'd put that in the same category as the criticism that I do quite frequently receive -- which is that I speak too fast -- and would do my best to stop saying the phrase at issue, just like I do my best to speak more slowly (I really really do!)

Don't go to the department head, and definitely, like another poster said, do NOT wait for the course evaluations for this issue.

Okay, I am going to nit-pick on something several people have brought up - the end of class evaluation. The end of class evaluation is not a time to bring up personal issues you have with the professor (and yes, it is a personal issue), they are meant to discuss the content of the course you were taught, and the ability of the teacher to effectively teach the class. Unless you have personally spoken to the prof before evaluation time and s/he has purposely ignored you and the "issue" has caused her to be ineffective at teaching, then it does not belong in the evaluation. Those evaluations are on the profs permanent record (yes, they are all filed with the College) and are used for determining raises, tenure, and if the prof is trying to get a new position (especially if s/he is applying for a University profship) they must be submitted with the application.

Unfortunately, a lot of students use these evaluations as a way to air grievances that the prof knew nothing about. I received a horrible evaluation one time that declared that I was rude, disrespectful, mean to a blind student, and alot of other vitriol. It ended with the recommendation that I be removed from my position and evaluated for a mental problem. This was followed by the parting statement "I guess it is true what they say about blonds". Well, I have red hair, and was not, in fact the TA s/he was referring to - she (the blond one) had turned down a s&xu@l advance from a student and we can only assume it was from him. To make matters worse, there were 3 or 4 other reviews that basically said the same thing (friends, obviously) However, they are on my record and I was not able to get them removed, even though I talked to the prof and the dean about it.

Please think twice before doing something on an evaluation before actually talking to the prof.

Habitually cursing, whether it is other curse words or flippantly using the name of God is unprofessional behavior. It is a distraction and annoyance to some people and very childish. It would be more considerate of the OP to bring this up to the instructor before the evaluation, however, I would think that the instructor should have been able to figure out years ago that this is unprofessional behavior. I do agree with another poster above not to speak about this to others ( don't gossip) but putting it on the evaluation is fair game. Even children should know that cursing - or using God's name in vain - is socially unacepetable. Whether the instructor would consider it blasphemy or not is a whole other issue. Blasphemy or not it's still unprofessional.

I'm so sorry you were given unfair,unreasonable evaluations. However, this is not about accusing the instructor about being a dumb blond or any of the other goofy things others did to you. It is only in regards to unprofessional speech. I would expect any instructor of mine to act professionally and if they don't know that this kind of speech is not professional it SHOULD be on their evaluation.

I don't care how many instructors speak this way. They're all acting goofy and unprofessional.

Edited by Miss Sherry

I disagree -- I would absolutely mention it on a evaluation, as I mentioned above, because I find it unprofessional, distracting, and quite frankly a childish way to speak. As in, "valley girl" of the 80s. And I bet the OP won't be the only one to mention it on the survey, because many people don't care for this kind of teenager speak, whether or not they consider it blasphemy or offensive to Christians.

I don't really understand what the comments of spurned love who had the wrong instructor anyway have to do with the case at hand.

I don't really understand what the comments of spurned love who had the wrong instructor anyway have to do with the case at hand.

It tells how evaluations are used. If you aren't faculty or aren't involved, you may not know how evaluations work. There are some faculty who don't even read them. If you want to make a change, talk with the instructor privately and politely; evaluations are not the place for this unless the issue is addressed with the instructor first.

I teach part-time in a field that has been desperate for faculty. We've had adjuncts who have quit in the middle of the semester and still are rehired the next semester. Nothing a student puts on that instructor's evaluation is going to make a difference. Talking with the instructor politely and privately might. If it's a serious issue, the next step would be to go to the department chair. Waiting until the end of semester and putting a note on an evaluation is just passive-aggressive bs that may not even be read by anyone.

I disagree -- I would absolutely mention it on a evaluation, as I mentioned above, because I find it unprofessional, distracting, and quite frankly a childish way to speak. As in, "valley girl" of the 80s. And I bet the OP won't be the only one to mention it on the survey, because many people don't care for this kind of teenager speak, whether or not they consider it blasphemy or offensive to Christians.

Yes, I agree with this.

Guest janainaz
Someone following their own moral/religious code that happens not to comply with another person's code . . . is not religious intolerance. Insisting that someone else follow YOUR religious code IS.

:iagree:

The only comment I have is a reminder of some board rules here, since we have a very diverse direction of comments:

Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)

I understand helping her manage with a different perspective, but a few posts might, kind-a sorta, in a way, sound a bit like they're trying to convince others that "OMG" is a perfectly fine saying. The OP obviously doesn't think it is and is asking for advice on handling this fact.

Ok, I'll quit pretending to be an unauthorized hall monitor now :tongue_smilie: and simply sympathize with the OP because that drives me batty too!

The only comment I have is a reminder of some board rules here, since we have a very diverse direction of comments:

I understand helping her manage with a different perspective, but a few posts might, kind-a sorta, in a way, sound a bit like they're trying to convince others that "OMG" is a perfectly fine saying. The OP obviously doesn't think it is and is asking for advice on handling this fact.

Ok, I'll quit pretending to be an unauthorized hall monitor now :tongue_smilie: and simply sympathize with the OP because that drives me batty too!

I think you have a point that is good to consider :001_smile:. But, she did ask for advice, so it's not quite the same thing. I think even those who have disagreed, have tried to do so very gently...me included :D. I would say her post falls more in the "advice/discussion illustration" than the "poll type discussions." Anyway, just my thoughts!