Menu

What curriculum are you most excited about using?

lisabelle

Guest Cindie2dds
No, I haven't, so I am really excited to see how it goes!

Expecting a review. :D

It looks like you can use it to enhance or as a stand alone History. I'm interested in the New World Explorer one. I bet you'll have a blast!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time Travelers from Homeschool in the Woods

We are doing the American Revolution cd and I am looking forward to that and the activities we have planned for it.

I'm also excited about starting Math. We use Singapore every year, and every year I am amazed at how my ds does.

I'm also excited about our History which is based on the Core Knowledge sequence.

MFW Adventures and K. So weird too because I have never given MFW a second thought in prior years...I always get their catalog, because I get alot of different catalogs....looked it over and put it aside. Even checked out their website a few times, and was turned off that it was "all in one" type of thing.....but for some reason, and I can't even remember WHY, I ended up there again this summer...and fell in love.

It also pretty weird because I normally start picking out next year's curriculum around Feb, and start collecting it in bits and pieces, so by May-ish, usually have everything I need for the fall. But here it was June, and I was completely doing a 180 turn into MFW.

We are into week one with MFW and LOVING it!!

It gets even weirder, as I am now planning on doing the full cycle of MFW with younger two DS ,and having older DS start the high school MFW when he gets to 9th.

So apparently I am a full and complete MFW convert!

Guest aquiverfull

We started Monday and by far the highlight of our day is:

Trail Guide to Learning- Paths of Exploration!! Both my dd and I are beyond thrilled with it. :)

I also LOVE Latin for Children A but my dd is not so crazy about it.

For my littles ones they said their favorite part of school is RightStart A. I'm enjoying it too so far.

Donna,

So glad you figured out a plan--it sounds great! I had to :lol: at your post because we are just the opposite--I'm SO excited about doing Ancient History this year again after three years of US history! We enjoyed it while we were doing it though.

I'm excited about getting started with Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with my youngest AND using a Sonlight core with my oldest. I am so ready to study American History after THREE years of World History. We are going to plan some special field trips to go along with our studies, too. I'm also adding some material to cover Alabama state history. We are going to visit forts and battlefields, etc. I'm really looking forward to that.

US History. It is one of my favorite subjects so I am enjoying it as much as the kids. We also have a lot of really cool field trips planned, and are enjoying our reading list that goes with it.

Curriculum wise.....AAS. I can not believe how much my son is learning and how much he likes spelling now compared to last year. I LOVE this program.

I guess right now I'll have to say Russian Math 6. I thought I would love it as a follow up to Singapore and I do. We're really just using it as drill and review, but I think it's great!

It's too early for me to tell yet if I'm going to like moving back into Rod and Staff for grammar/writing.... I think I'm really going to like Vocabulary for the College Bound, but it's also too soon to really tell yet....

Other than that, what I always enjoy most is the new books that we haven't read before. There seems to be an unending supply of wonderful stuff out there that keeps me excited about both history and science topics....

We're doing parts of Winterpromise Animals and their Worlds which will be new for us. I am also excited about some of the Five in a Row books we will be doing. In September we're reading How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World to get us started with geography. We are expanding geography by using Little Passports and some books from the library. Our first monthly kit arrived yesterday for Little Passports and ds was excited to begin!

We started this week and haven't hit a dud so far, but the thing I'm currently in raptures about is Rainbow Science. It's exactly what I was looking for, and the kids seem to like it, too. They did their first experiment today, and they set it up by themselves, did it by themselves, and then cleaned it up by themselves. Oh, and I'm pretty sure they learned something.

Pardon me while I swoon.

And the best part... when you fork over all that money for the experiment kit and they tell you it comes with everything you need for experiments, it really, truly does. No more running to Wal-Mart looking for three pipe cleaners, twelve buttons, two shoestrings, eleven nails and all that other stuff that people supposedly have around their houses, but I never seem to.

(Have you ever tried to buy three pipe cleaners? Can't be done. You can only buy about 200 at a time, and then you use three for the experiment and spend the next four years finding the other 197 in random places around the house. Except when you need one for an experiment, at which point they've all disappeared completely, and you go back to Wal-Mart and start the cycle all over again.)

So, yeah. Rainbow Science is what I'm most excited about. :D

SBP

Donna,

So glad you figured out a plan--it sounds great! I had to :lol: at your post because we are just the opposite--I'm SO excited about doing Ancient History this year again after three years of US history! We enjoyed it while we were doing it though.

I tell you, Sheila... it's like the whole dang world revolved around this decision!! But, everything is either on the shelves or on the way... so, we're good. Funny that I bought a good bit of the SL stuff from you last year, sold it all, and then had to buy it again for this year!! Now, suddenly, it fits!!

What are you using for Ancient History? You have probably shared that already, lots of posts here! I hope you have a fantastic year!!

Everything in my signature!!

I am loving Five in a Row so much, and am so excited about what we're going to do next (and next! and next!), that it's probably illegal.

Ah, the newness of it all!;)

Heart of Dakota: Creation to Christ. :)
oooooo, I am so excited about the Jr. High years too because mommy gets to dig in to all of that good stuff!:D I already bought a couple of books. lol

I'm excited about getting started with Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with my youngest AND using a Sonlight core with my oldest. I am so ready to study American History after THREE years of World History. We are going to plan some special field trips to go along with our studies, too. I'm also adding some material to cover Alabama state history. We are going to visit forts and battlefields, etc. I'm really looking forward to that.
LOL! and here I am out of the loop thinking that you were doing CtC this year.

Tapestry of Grace Yr 3 - This will be our first full year, starting from unit 1-4, and using Writing Aids and Map Aids.

AG and JAG - I LOVE diagramming!

Haven't purchased yet, but I'm excited about Atelier Art and Phonetic Zoo. I have to space out the purchasing of these . $$$

I'm really looking forward to Math Mammoth! I'm having to be patient though, because we are buying the full light blue set through the Homebuyers Co-op, so we won't get it until next month. But I love what I've seen and heard about it and I love getting a full, reusable elementary math curriculum for under $100. :D

This, along with LOF for my oldest.

And History.

And the science that I sort of created.

anything that's not "language arts" I'm dreading the outlining and writing and spelling and grammar…

1. Above and Beyond Five in a Row that I will be spreading out over the year with lots of extras and rabbit trails and using with my friend's dd. This is what I am most excited about and it isn't even my child.:D

2. With Mr. Doodle I am really very pleased with the effortlessness of our memory work this year. I just ended up making notecards with a little information on the topics we are covering in math, LA, science, and history/geography each week. The little man just goes through his notecards first thing in the morning 4x/wk.

3. I like my 16yo's Art of the Northern Renaissance from The Teaching Company.

These would be my 3 favorites, but with my xtra student and my little guy I am pretty pleased with everythng.

Mandy

It is our first year so All of it!?!

I think we are all most excited about SOTW 1 Ancients - DS is OBSESSED with ancient history. He actively mummifies us, his cabbage patch kid, a spoon, basically anything he gets his hands on. :lol: He draws and builds with clay the craziest mythological creatures like cyclops or the hydra. He play acts all of it - including having a travel tent to take him to his various destinations. I am excited to get SOTW in the mail (hopefully by Friday!!) and get started - I just know he is going to have soooo much fun!

I am excited and nervous about MUS too - nervous cuz I am so not a math girl. But excited cuz MUS just makes so much sense, and cuz DS has been loving playing with the set of used MUS blocks we got a last few weeks ago.

Aww.. my answer is none. There is nothing we are using that is new and exciting. The programs are efficient and get the job done. Period.

If I had to choose the best one, I'd say MUS. It's my dd12s favorite program because she likes the way Mr. Steve explains the math concepts. It makes me happy to see her happy with math.

Guest Cindie2dds
I think it would be interesting to revisit this post in a few months to find out if the bloom is still on the rose! :glare:

Great point!

Ah, the newness of it all!;)

oooooo, I am so excited about the Jr. High years too because mommy gets to dig in to all of that good stuff!:D I already bought a couple of books. lol

LOL! and here I am out of the loop thinking that you were doing CtC this year.

I wanted to!! But, it's just not the right time. I plan to do it, with the Extensions and some other add-ons, for 7th grade. We will all be studying American History together this year.

I'm glad to see you here :)!!

We are excited to be doing a unit on the human body, as we will be dissecting a sheep's brain. We will be doing Ellen McHenry's "Brain" as well and some cool DNA and genetics activities.

Sotw 4 mixed with Canadian history and geography.

MCT Voyage level.

Hmmm...guess we are excited about it all!

I'm excited about joining our new Classical Conversations community. I'm also jazzed about covering random history topics. SOTW 1 for ancients (audio & coloring pages/maps), VP Middle Ages history at CC and my random collection of American history projects. Too many fun topics for chronological history here. :001_smile:

I just purchased Elemental Science Bio last night. It actually looks like a science program this non-science mom can handle. Thanks, Paige!

Edited by Beth in SW WA
more info

Hm. Well, because I know my daughter, I'm most excited about SSL and French (as soon as I make a final decision on which program to use... :D). She LOVES learning languages, and I'm looking forward to moving her language skills further.

I'm also excited about Intro To Science from Elemental Science, because it is exactly what I was looking to do but didn't know how to implement on my own.

OH. And AAS. Another thing that DD loves to do, and we'll be doing a weekly "spelling bee" because that is currently one of her favorite games to play.

Ok... I'm pretty much excited about everything. :lol: