Menu

What strange things have you washed?

The oddest thing I've washed is crayons that melted when I put the clothes in the dryer... such a mess!

However, my mom accidentally washed my sister's hamster when we were little. He got loose, and we couldn't find him for a week. Somehow, he managed to get downstairs to our basement, and he buried himself in a pile of towels. My mom found him when she was taking the towels out of the washing machine. To this day, I can still hear the sound of her scream when she saw him. It was a sad day for everyone.

A pull-up -- on accident.

Cats' stuffed toys and scrunchies. (not together) -- on purpose

In my dishwasher, I've washed:

toothbrushes

plastic trash cans

plastic compost bucket

tea kettle

I'm lazy. ;)

Oh, and Annabelle (our cat) spent about 10-15 seconds in the dryer while it was running. We call her tumble-dry sometimes. It was actually quite horrific. We rushed her to the emergency vet. Thankfully, she was fine.

Edited by nestof3

However, my mom accidentally washed my sister's hamster when we were little. He got loose, and we couldn't find him for a week. Somehow, he managed to get downstairs to our basement, and he buried himself in a pile of towels. My mom found him when she was taking the towels out of the washing machine. To this day, I can still hear the sound of her scream when she saw him. It was a sad day for everyone.

You poor thing.

My cell phone. :glare:

When DS was younger, he always filled his pockets full of rocks when he was outside. I can't even begin to imagine how many rocks I washed! We finally gave him a jar and put it next to his bathroom sink - then he could unload his pockets and wash his hands.

Just today I saw a little round, rubber, spikey thing floating around at the door of my front loader. Turns out it was a piece of a Bionicle.

I've also washed a sippy cup in the clothes washer back when ds was in cloth diapers. He liked putting his cups in the diaper pail for some reason and one time the cup must have been in the middle of the pile 'cause I didn't notice it at all when I dumped the whole thing in the washer.

Recently, I heard really strange sounds from my washer like there were BB's in it or something. My son had evidently forgotten to take the shells and sharks teeth he collected from the beach out of his swimsuit pocket before they were thrown in the wash. I didn't know I needed to check the pocket of a swimsuit!:tongue_smilie:

I'm pretty good about what I wash, but DH is - how do I say it - laundry challenged! Several years ago, he decided to help do the laundry while I was at the store. He washed two of those neck pillows that have the beads in them. Needless to say, the pillows disintegrated and he had little beads all over the washer and laundry room. That was the last time he tried to 'help' with the laundry. Now his job is to just put it away.

Grasshoppers!

Ds son loves to catch grasshoppers. Well a few weeks ago he decided he would put them in his pockets since he had nothing else with him outside to put them in. I actually saw him putting things in his pocket but thought nothing of it, he also likes to collect rocks, acorns, sticks, etc. Well I washed clothes right after we came inside and forgot to check his pockets! Upon pulling his shorts out of the dryer, 2 very clean and hard grasshoppers come falling out. We now have a little bug hut just for grasshoppers.

Either on purpose or not. . .

Today my ds13 ran an entire Reader's Digest through the washer and dryer. The biggest piece left was the size of a quarter. . . Do you know how much lint a Reader's Digest makes?:lol:

I have some idea, because just today I washed my husband's reporters notebook. He's a journalist and usually has two or three little spiral notebooks stashed in his pants; I usually find them all, but not today. My wash load was an explosion of lint and a sorry-looking little spiral.

When I was a kid, I determined it would be a good idea to run my pony's grooming tools through our washing machine. My mother was less than delighted to find a sparkling-clean curry comb and hoof pick in her washer.

I washed my copy of What to Expect the First Year when DS was a newborn. I was trying to spend quality time with DD, who was nearly 2, and I asked her to help me put all of the "baby things" in the laundry basket.... I added baby clothes, she added the book. I tipped the entire basket into the washer without looking through the contents.

Bullets. More than once. They went through the dryer, too.

I've done that! My dryer was in the garage and I kept hearing very loud noises but I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Thankfully they were just .22s! It wouldn't have been quite so bad if "d"h's method of carrying his bullets wasn't to just take 2 large handfulls of bullets and drop them in his cargo pockets.:glare:

Grasshoppers!

Ds son loves to catch grasshoppers. Well a few weeks ago he decided he would put them in his pockets since he had nothing else with him outside to put them in. I actually saw him putting things in his pocket but thought nothing of it, he also likes to collect rocks, acorns, sticks, etc. Well I washed clothes right after we came inside and forgot to check his pockets! Upon pulling his shorts out of the dryer, 2 very clean and hard grasshoppers come falling out. We now have a little bug hut just for grasshoppers.

Too funny (poor grasshoppers though)! We wash rocks and bugs here too... :tongue_smilie:

The messiest thing was a book dh brought home from a conference. The more normal things are rocks, legos, rubber bands, shark teeth (or random teeth found in the when out exploring:confused:) keys (my remote key chain has been washed three times and still works!:D) I found a whole bunch of bazooka bubble gum once (thankfully BEFORE it went in the dryer.) I have washed my husband's wallet twice and his knife he has for work once. Feathers also make a big mess in the washer if there are enough of them. :tongue_smilie:

Either on purpose or not. . .

Today my ds13 ran an entire Reader's Digest through the washer and dryer. The biggest piece left was the size of a quarter. . . Do you know how much lint a Reader's Digest makes?:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I don't remember, but I *know* many weird items have passed through!

Dh's passport.:eek:

It was in his shirt pocket after a long trip, and he always empties his own pockets. We both missed that one.

He has used it several times since, but...

a customs official in France took exception to it, and warned him never to come back with that passport.:lol:

A frog- that was really gross.

An ipod-sadly it did not work

DS's wallet numerous times

pocket knives

A check for BSA popcorn

Now the dishwasher is a different story...

We have had carburetors, various pieces of tools, eggs (it was sorta an experiment). Anything goes in our dishwasher!

I've done that! My dryer was in the garage and I kept hearing very loud noises but I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Thankfully they were just .22s! It wouldn't have been quite so bad if "d"h's method of carrying his bullets wasn't to just take 2 large handfulls of bullets and drop them in his cargo pockets.:glare:

I have done that too! I forgot all about that one.

I asked him then if he had checked his pockets, and of course, he said he had. He hadn't. I later found a mechanical pencil, 3 guitar picks, and 40 very loud cents (there were several pennies) in the washer and/or dryer.

Among the other non-clothing items I've washed through the years are: Lego pieces, grocery lists, ponytail holders, combs, jump drives, keys, bullets, checks (most of those didn't survive), rocks, and even a $10 bill. My rule is that any money found in the washer/dryer is mine to keep as pay for doing the laundry. Hahaha!

A cat, the whole cycle too. He wasn't very happy when he came out. I have also dried cats a few time although not for very long. They make a heck of a racket in the dryer.

GET OUT!

I think you're serious! The CAT survived the WASHER? :001_huh: Whoa. That's amazing!

ETA: So sorry about the angry avatar. Dh is teasing me. I'm really not channeling Jack!

Edited by Chelle in MO
dh is at it again!

If you put skanky lego in a lingere bag they come out really clean.

This works great in the dishwasher too for all kinds of little plastic pieces.

On purpose:

Crocs (I read once that Mario Batalli [sp?] loads his dishwasher w/ all his crocs & does a shoe load, lol)

Sneakers

Legos & Playmobil (dishwasher)

Toothbrushes (dishwasher)

Stuffed animals

A friend washes her light fixture covers & chandelier pieces in the dishwasher & they always look so sparkly clean. I need to try that one.

Not on purpose:

Crayons (blue crayon all over my dryer -- don't try my 'brilliant' idea of using oven cleaner; it's way worse than the crayon)

Money (coins & bills)

Assorted outdoor stuff (rocks, pine cones, wood chips, sticks, seeds, ...)

Plenty of other things I can't remember right now....

My theory is that if I can't put it in the dishwasher or washing machine, I don't want it. :D

P.S. Did you know you can supposedly wash your keyboard in the dishwasher?

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Keyboard-in-a-Dishwasher

(I haven't tried it, but a friend has & said it worked.)

My phone ... twice. Bummer, man. I accidentally washed my daughter's lip balm, which meant that everything had to be rewashed, twice.

A funny about laundry ... while we were on vacation, my cousin washed dd's swimsuit. Well, we never found the bottoms of her tankini. So, we had to buy a swimsuit while on vacation and she is a tall, skinny thing so that was a challenge. Well, 6 weeks later, I hear from my cousin. They found them - stuck in some rubber thing in the dryer. I wonder what it looks like after 6 weeks of laundry (at a house that has a pool:).)

GET OUT!

I think you're serious! The CAT survived the WASHER? :001_huh: Whoa. That's amazing!

Yep, I am assuming he managed to tread water and keep his head above the water the whole time. He was no worse the wear we he came out. He didn't get sick or anything.

We also had a cat that accidently made it into a moving van in VA and survived the trip to MA. He was dehydrated when he got there but otherwise fine. He lived a good long time after that. It happened in about March or April so I guess it didn't get to hot in the back of the truck.

These both happened when I was a kid. I try to be much more responsible with the cats I own now. The wackiest thing that ever happened to them is when we moved from our rental to the house we bought. We left them at the rental while we were moving so they were alone in the house for a night or two (with food and water) and they all went almost catatonic. I brought them to the new house even though we weren't done moving everything yet and they perked right up again.

A cat, the whole cycle too. He wasn't very happy when he came out. I have also dried cats a few time although not for very long. They make a heck of a racket in the dryer.[/QUOTE]

I am a cat lover, and I feel so sorry for the poor kitties this happened to, but when I read your last line, I was :lol: so much that I had tears running down my cheeks!

Yep, I am assuming he managed to tread water and keep his head above the water the whole time. He was no worse the wear we he came out. He didn't get sick or anything.

We also had a cat that accidently made it into a moving van in VA and survived the trip to MA. He was dehydrated when he got there but otherwise fine. He lived a good long time after that. It happened in about March or April so I guess it didn't get to hot in the back of the truck.

These both happened when I was a kid. I try to be much more responsible with the cats I own now. The wackiest thing that ever happened to them is when we moved from our rental to the house we bought. We left them at the rental while we were moving so they were alone in the house for a night or two (with food and water) and they all went almost catatonic. I brought them to the new house even though we weren't done moving everything yet and they perked right up again.

Oh, man! I'm picturing the cat treading water and trying not to laugh-- poor thing!

A cat, the whole cycle too. He wasn't very happy when he came out. I have also dried cats a few time although not for very long. They make a heck of a racket in the dryer.[/QUOTE]

I am a cat lover, and I feel so sorry for the poor kitties this happened to, but when I read your last line, I was :lol: so much that I had tears running down my cheeks!

I KNOW! Can't you just imagine??? "Honey, that sounds like the cats...where ARE the cats??? Oh, my gosh! THE CATS ARE IN THE DRYER!"

:lol:

A cat, the whole cycle too. He wasn't very happy when he came out. I have also dried cats a few time although not for very long. They make a heck of a racket in the dryer.

That is some cat!!! I think this is one of the best stories I've ever heard!

Edited by jenL