Menu

decided to switch to stainless Steel cookware. What do you own and like?

I have a set of Cuisinart stainless steel cookwear, and I really like it. It's the only stainless I've owned though- except for a way cheapo stock pot that I do NOT like. It was only about $14, it's flimsy and it stains easily. Don't get cheap stuff. :D

I really love my Emerilware. It's made by All Clad but does not cost as much since only the bottom has the copper core, not the sides. This does not bother me, but it might bother some who can afford the All Clad. I've heard of some people who simply buy a piece at a time of All Clad until they have a whole set.

I have seen Emerilware on Amazon and at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Here are some links:

$199 for this 10 piece set:

Emerilware Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set

$299 for this 14 piece set:

Emerilware by All-Clad Stainless Steel 14-Piece Cookware Set

I have 3 sets of Revere Ware, one from when we got married 18+ years ago, one a partial set my mil left here when she moved back to Jerusalem, and a new set cause it had a stock pot and it was cheaper to by the set on sale than to buy a single stock pot. I love them all one set is copper bottom and two are with copper thermal bottoms. The set I have had for 18 years has never stained and nothing has ever broken on any of it.

When we were first married, we lived aboard an old wooden sailboat. My MIL bought us a set of *nesting* Cuisinart stainless cookware. The handles are removable, the lid universal to all the saucepans, and the lid to the Dutch oven doubles as a sautee pan. Amazing stuff which I've used daily for 17 years with no complaints. Nowadays, Cuisinart, like everything else, is manufactured in China, but it still gets good reviews. What you want, IMO, is a stainless set with a copper layered base. This conducts heat better than a single layer like you'll find in Revereware (I also have a piece or two of that). If money is no object, buy All-Clad.

I also have several cast iron skillets which I use almost daily and wouldn't trade for anything!

Here's a link for more thoughts.

HTH ~

it was our first purchase when DH got his first 'real' paycheck after college!

We have been VERY pleased with the quality--it is easy to cook with, very easy to clean--just soak if needed and everything loosens up. Our set still shines like new. We have had all different types of cooktops--gas, electric coil and ceramic--it has worked well with all of them.

You can easily find it on e-bay.

I bought a set of waterless stainless steel cookware from Alfa Metalcraft Corporation about 30 years ago and I still use it every day.

Aside from the quality, one thing I love about it is that the lids fit onto the handles, so when I'm cooking, I don't have to find a spot to put the lid. Also, one pot stacks on top of the other by inverting the lids on the pots. My set has no long handles, which I also like.

http://www.culinarycookware.info/contactus.html

I second the pp for Costco's Kirkland Stainless cookware. I got mine for Christmas and I love it! It is very easy to clean up, especially if you just throw some water in it after you serve the food and let it sit while you're eating... any stuck-on stuff comes right out!

I've been using the Farberware SS cookware we recieved as a wedding gift in 92 and it's still great. For years (before I had a baby) I'd only hand wash it, but once DS arrived, it's gone in the dishwasher every time and it's works well and looks good! I've added some Revereware pieces along the way and it also works well.

bought Farberware about 30 years ago and it is still in really good condition. As a result of that I've started picking up a few pieces at a time from Target.

One thing I did find is a couple of times we've managed to stain it with burnt offerings for supper :) and I discovered by accident that if I boil that pan with a little Oxiclean and water and cleans it right up.

Good luck with your decision.

I've gotten a few of the 3 qt. saucepans from WalMart that are "Tramontina" brand. They are heavy bottomed, and work great. 10.00 a piece!

I also have a larger stockpot with the strainer inserts. Same brand.

I use cast iron skillets (and one non-stick) and glass and stone bakeware.

I've found this set up to work well for us, and I consider myself a bit of a "kitchen snob" when it comes to appliances, gadgets and whatnot.

I'm still using the Revere Ware I got as wedding presents -I requested it because it was what my folks had (and still use, too). It last and last and lasts. I have the stainless steel with the copper bottom.

This is exactly what I have and LOVE it. It's still going strong after 16 years and doesn't look bad either! Those copper bottoms are great for heating evenly! :)

I bought a set off of ebay for about 200 dollars less than the store price. It was new. I talked about it on the old board. Ria was the one to make me buy it! ha ha ha. I love it. It isn't hard to clean with the Bar Keepers Friend for the really baked on stains. Even my husband is happy with them and he thought we should just keep using our cancer causing peeling teflon pans.

I have been looking at this type cookware since everyone on the boards began recommending it. I seriously need to get rid of all my non-stick stuff, which is all majorly scratched up. But whenever I look at things, I don't know what to do. They all seem so expensive. When I find something that's not so expensive, it's made in China, and with so many products coming out of that country having problems of one type or another, I'm afraid to buy cookware from there.

Is any of this cookware going to be an investment of several hundred dollars? Should I only get something made in America, or do you think it matters? Help!

I have Emerilware, and I do really like it. I'd buy All-Clad if I could afford it, but I like the Emerilware very well. It has the thick bottom of the All-Clad, and it has clear lids (which I really like), and the handles stay fairly cool. The only thing I don't like about it is that my kids turn the heat up a little too high sometimes, and the actual disk part on the bottom of the pan is kind of small on one or two of the pans. My dc end up burning the sides of the pan. It scrubs off easily with Barkeeper's Friend, and I still think that overall the Emerilware is way up there as a top choice.

~Julie~

I have been looking at this type cookware since everyone on the boards began recommending it. I seriously need to get rid of all my non-stick stuff, which is all majorly scratched up. But whenever I look at things, I don't know what to do. They all seem so expensive. When I find something that's not so expensive, it's made in China, and with so many products coming out of that country having problems of one type or another, I'm afraid to buy cookware from there.

Is any of this cookware going to be an investment of several hundred dollars? Should I only get something made in America, or do you think it matters? Help!

You know, Regena, my favorite pan is my cast iron skillet. I have Revere stainless, Faberware stainless, Le Creuset--most of it decades old by now and still cooking. I have not given much thought to pans in recent years until last Christmas when my sister was dispensing Lodge Cast Iron pans to one and all. They are made in the US and are not expensive. I don't think that I would want Lodge for sauce pans, but if you need to replace a skillet, this might be a way to go.

(By the way, I did not receive another skillet. The one I own has been with me since college--a long time ago!)

Jane

but love my huge Calphalon stainless pan. I like my Emeril All Clad non-stick sauce and omelet pans. Non-stick pans have their place - just don't buy the cheap ones. For large dutch oven, you can't beat Le Cruset.

We use our large Calphalon stainless pan every night. We have had it for year, and it cooks evenly. Clean up is pretty easy if you hit it with water when it's still hot. Better yet, if it is a dish where I simply deglaze the pan and use the sauce. Yum!

I have some SS All-clad and I have some Le Creuset. I bought some Le Creuset through eBay. Yes, they are expensive but worth it to me. I bought them piece by piece though. I love my Le Creuset and use it for almost all my cooking. However, I can't seem to get a nice omelette from their pans. I usually have to use my "one" non-stick All-clad pan for that. I don't really like using non-stick pans because I heard that teflon is very bad for us!!!! That's why I prefer Le Creuset over anything. SS All-clad comes in at a very close 2nd to me.

I have a couple of kitchenaide skillets, which I like a lot. I also have a set of CopperLuxe pans and the copper bottoms warp, so I'm not very happy about that.

You should get Alton Brown's book on a well-stocked kitchen. He addresses cookware and has good advice on how to get good quality without having to buy the top of the line.

Also, check TJMaxx or Marshalls for cookware. My TJMaxx has Calphalon and Wolfgang Puck cookware at a reduced price.

I have a set of Cuisinart stainless steel cookwear, and I really like it. It's the only stainless I've owned though- except for a way cheapo stock pot that I do NOT like. It was only about $14, it's flimsy and it stains easily. Don't get cheap stuff. :D

I too have Cuisinart stainless cookwear. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have had it for 6 years (I went through 3 sets of nice non-stick cookware in 4 years before this set) and it still looks almost new. I bought mine from Amazon for a really good price. I just wish they still made the Everyday Stainless- it had a copper core- but I would still buy Cuisinart. It is also not that expensive if you buy it as a set.

For the rare time when I would need something non-stick- like pancakes, I use a Lodge cast iron griddle that spans 2 burners. I used a 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond for it.