Menu

If you decided AGAINST using Sonlight based on the "27 reasons not to buy" list...

MissKNG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree:

Here were the biggies for me:

• #2--We want a program with lots of hands-on activities built in.
  • #4--Sonlight is too expensive. We live on one teacher's salary. ;)
  • #6--I don't want to address false, foolish, or questionable ideas. Somehow I find the way that's worded to be sooooo condescending! I don't mind addressing these ideas, but I don't want to do it too soon. They're only young and innocent once - might as well let them stay that way for a while! ;)
  • #9--I want a Bible-centered homeschool program. I'm a big Robin Sampson/Heart of Wisdom fan! :001_smile:
  • #16--I want to teach history in a four-year chronological cycle.

We love to read, and Sonlight has so many excellent books, but this list was very helpful in eliminating Sonlight for us. We ended up going with MFW (which actually uses a lot of the same books that Sonlight does in the book basket), and it has been a perfect match for us!

And I don't mean any of this to insult Sonlight users - we have several very good friends who use it and absolutely love it! It just wasn't the right one for our family! :001_smile:

When we were ready to begin our homeschool journey a few years ago, a big group of people in our church highly recommended Sonlight. I looked at it and it looked AWESOME, but had this nagging feeling it wasn't for us.

I don't remember all of the 27 reasons or their exact wordings, so these will be "approximate quotes"

-kids may find some of the topics disturbing

My kids are very tender, and their innocence is something that is truly valuable to me. I don't think I would have been comfortable with some of the book choices

-you feel like you have to do everything in the IG

Ummm. . .i'm a box checker by nature. . .if I didn't follow the ig to the letter, it would have driven me crazy. Getting off schedule is not something I want to think about.

-too expensive

This reason was a biggy. It would have taken my entire budget for just a core, and I really didn't want to make payments on curriculum if ya know what I mean.

-time

I have 4 children 7 and under. I just don't think I could have done it

I really think it is a great looking curriculum, and they're very honest about exactly what you're getting yourself into.;)

Blessings

I've gone both ways with the 27 reasons!

A couple of them made me a bit squeamish when my kids were younger, but I enjoyed many Sonlight cores anyway:

#6 (related to #22) is one--for me, I find Sonlight likes to "push the envelope" on mentioning things early--things I probably wouldn't get into as early as they do. I judge some books or topics on a case by case basis, but usually end up using them anyway. It hasn't been a big issue for us, but one that made me go, hmmmmm...

#9--I didn't necessarily want "Bible-centered," but I did want more direction/info on how Ancient History and the Bible fit together. I went to Mystery of History for that (in core 1, I used MOH instead of SL's spine, and now I'm using MOH again but going more eclectic--still a lot of SL stuff from Core 6, but some other books too).

#11...some years SL pushes the envelope on this one for me too. Core 4 tended to do this. The books were really good individually, but sometimes on the whole seemed a bit overwhelming--but that's largely due to the time period covered too--it's hard to cover slavery, WWI, the Great Depression, WWII & the Holocaust, Civil Rights, and so on in a year. There were some really funny books this year to try to balance it out--and it didn't seem to bother my kids, probably bothered me more because I have more life experience!

Now that my kids are older, our needs are changing and more of the reasons apply:

#2 and #3 apply a little to me now--I don't want lots of hands on, but most cores have little or none (except Core 5 & it didn't really have the kind of hands-on I wanted). I just want some things to reinforce what they are learning a bit more than reading and discussion alone--some quizzes and related papers or projects, something more extensive in the timeline department etc...

#10 kind of applies to me now--not so much because I don't want someone else to do this work for me, but because the amount of tweaking I find I want to do at this point in my kids' education tips the balance the other way for me as far as whether a whole SL core is worth it. For the earlier cores, it was worth it. I tweaked Cores 1 & 2 with MOH & dropping the SL spines, plus some other minor changes. 3 & 4 I used as is--they were a great fit overall. Prek & K I stretched out & added in other things. 5...I'd change a lot if I had that to do again, but the lit & readers are awesome.

#12 somewhat applies--for me, not so much to pursue non-academics, but because I like more wiggle room to take detours, add in spur of the moment things that I think are worthwhile, etc... I don't like curriculum to have 180 days packed. For cores Prek-1 I stretched things out over 2 years each. Cores 2-5 I didn't & missed that wiggle room.

#13--You know, I've never done all the IG mentions, but sometimes it IS hard to just drop a book or whatever. And it feels like there's no breathing room, or time to savor a book after finishing it--the schedule just goes on to the next book right away. So I guess I'm running into this one a bit too.

Finally...#27 annoys me at times!

Well, I hope this helps as you evaluate whether it will work for you or not! We love SL's lit & readers & will continue to use choices from them. I don't know if we'll do an upper level core "as is" or not though--looking like "not" right now, though I might buy 530 at some point & cut it down to size! Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

• #6--I don't want to address false, foolish, or questionable ideas. Somehow I find the way that's worded to be sooooo condescending! ...

I actually feel that way about most of the list, I think it is very condescending. That said I have used both Pre-K cores and K but now I do want more hands-on activities. :) Edited by Happyhomemama

The different perspectives are so interesting. The 27 reasons not to buy are what convinced me to try it years ago! I was opposed to using a Christian curriculum of any kind, but some friends recommended SL, and when I read the reasons not to buy, combined with their love to learn guarantee, I felt led to try it. And it's all my eldest has ever used for history, aside from a dismal trial of Calvert.

So I guess those reasons not to buy really can tell you a lot when deciding to use the curriculum or not!

Thanks for all your responses! :D

I love the "idea" of Sonlight but I also have that nagging feeling MommytoMonkeys mentioned. Which is why I started this thread...

I never thought of this list as condescending, btw.

Anyways, Beautiful Feet came to my attention yesterday and I like how it uses nonfiction books verses the fiction books of SL.

Any more input is welcome about the "list"!

Edited by MissKNG

The list is also what sold me on SL at first. My oldest is an auditory learner so it worked well for her, except I had a hard time keeping up with the schedule.

In comes 2nd dd and she is so hands on and sensitive that it just fell apart. I could tell my 3rd dd was going to follow in my 2nd dd's footsteps, so I jumped ship.

In the end my oldest was also more hands on than I realized, so the switch did her good.

Heather

Well, like a pp, there were many things on the 27 reasons not to buy list that were flags to me, but I foolishly decided to try it anyway. Boy was it not for us. While Indy loves to be read to, he was bored to tears with JUST reading. He needed something to DO. Fortunately Sonlight has a great return policy and I sent is all back.

These are some of the ones that gave me pause, and yet I bought it anyway:

2. They want a program with lots of hands-on activities built in.

16. They want to teach history in a 4-year chronological cycle.

19. They want a non-religious program.

Guest Cindie2dds
I actually feel that way about most of the list, I think it is very condescending. That said I have used both Pre-K cores and K but now I do want more hands-on activities. :)

We enjoyed Core A and B (P3/4 and P4/5 now), but got a couple of days into Core K and realized it wasn't for us. We needed more hands on, art and nature; and the stories were too intense at such a young age. I don't want to explain who Hitler is, let alone at 5. :glare:

I am a SL user, and the list of reasons NOT to use it was part of what appealed to me. :001_smile:

I don't believe that the list is meant to be sarcastic at all. When someone buys a curriculum and it is a poor fit for their family, everyone loses. SL has to accept a return (if the family chooses to do so) and SL receives "bad press" from a family who wasn't happy with it. I truly believe that the company hopes to help people in making a good decision regarding curriculum. Just as we are aware, the folks at SL know that every curriculum is not a good match for every family.:001_smile:

We enjoyed Core A and B (P3/4 and P4/5 now), but got a couple of days into Core K and realized it wasn't for us. We needed more hands on, art and nature; and the stories were too intense at such a young age. I don't want to explain who Hitler is, let alone at 5. :glare:

This. Exactly this. Also, when I read that the books were chosen to elicit an "emotional" response from children. Ds #1 is incredibly literal, rational, & mathematical and I don't think I've ever seen an emotional reaction from him about a book. It would have been a terrible fit for us long-term.

I have several friends who use Sonlight exclusively, so I really *wanted* to do it. But the list of reasons NOT to buy made me realize it wasn't right for me.

#4 - There's no way I can manage the price. Not even with their special deals.

#10 - I really do enjoy creating my own schedule. I like the flexibility of being able to do it *my* way.

#16 - I like the 4-yr history cycle. It makes sense to me.

I do use several of the Sonlight book recommendations each year, but not all. Some of them address issues that are way beyond the level my kids could understand. I don't shy away from hard topics, but some of those books are excruciating to read. I like a nice mix of silliness and happiness too.

#6 - false ideas ... I don't mind addressing them, but introducing the story of the Holocaust at 5 or 6 is pushing it.

#4 - for the amount of money I'd be spending on a core, I expect more than a reading schedule. IMO, the IG is very overpriced for what you get.

I do love their book lists, though, and use the catalog as a source for read-aloud ideas. I've even bought a few harder to find titles from them. But, I can't see using a full core. It's definitely not for us.

Thanks for all your responses! :D

Anyways, Beautiful Feet came to my attention yesterday and I like how it uses nonfiction books verses the fiction books of SL.

Any more input is welcome about the "list"!

I, too, am a SL user. The list helped me decide to use SL. My dd loves to read. She will let someone read to her all day, everyday, if we could. She loves to snuggle on the couch. We get lots of hands-on in other subjects, mostly science & math, so the lack of hands-on did not bother me. Since my ds left for college this past May, snuggling with the girls has helped all of us a great deal.

To address BF, I used them with my son, who liked to read, but not as much as my dd. We also used two SL cores with him, but that was at dh's behest, becase he wanted him to have an intense American Hx course. We did BF, SL, and Notgrass for Am Hx. My son probably knows a lot more about Am Hx than most his age because of that. SL and BF are both great hx courses IMHO. Here is a comparison of other curriculums compared to SL by SL users. https://www.sonlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=166571

SL uses a lot of non-fiction as well as fiction books. BF does not have so many books which is a factor in determining which to use, depending on how much time you have/want to read aloud. We all have to choose which works best for our family. I have now been through a total of four SL cores, and plan to order K near the end of the year. They are expensive, but when I tried piecing a core together, it was nuts and dh told me to "just order the box already!" I know many cores can be found used, but we will probably just buy new since they will go through two children (possibly more) and then can be resold for a decent amount.

I am a SL user, and the list of reasons NOT to use it was part of what appealed to me. :001_smile:

I don't believe that the list is meant to be sarcastic at all. When someone buys a curriculum and it is a poor fit for their family, everyone loses. SL has to accept a return (if the family chooses to do so) and SL receives "bad press" from a family who wasn't happy with it. I truly believe that the company hopes to help people in making a good decision regarding curriculum. Just as we are aware, the folks at SL know that every curriculum is not a good match for every family.:001_smile:

Every year I consider Sonlight and every year I read those 27 reasons and decide against it. I love the idea of the program but the execution of it just doesn't suit my educational philosophy nor my personal beliefs.

Plus the smugness of the tone of the writing send me to clickj that red "X" square.

Oh, thanks for the link - I was looking in the Catalog and realizing that there were not a full 27 reasons listed! Along with the three I posted earlier, I'd also like to add:

#11. Sad or heavy content. I don't mind some, but I think Sonlight really goes overboard with their picks.

#25. I prefer an "unschooling" approach. I have to, with an Aspie. It better be flexible or I'd never make it.

#26. I have to look at stuff first. I'm realizing I must be a control freak. But I'm not about to buy a huge box of books only to realize that half of them won't work for us.

All that said, I still think Sonlight is awesome, and I do try to buy a few things from them during the year. I usually highlight a bunch of things from the catalog. But I couldn't use a full core on their schedule and be satisfied with it.

We just started using SL Core 3--but just part of it, the history & associated readings. A friend kindly sold me the guide & half the books (I already owned the others) for those sections, at a dirt-cheap price.

I haven't used a boxed curriculum since our first year of hs'ing, when we used Calvert (thanks Dad!) and by the end of the year had to tweak it so much we had evolved into eclectic hs'ers. After last year, when dd3's difficulties and associated therapy ate up all the time I should have spent hs'ing dd7, I decided to switch to curricula that were either open-and-go or came with schedules I would be willing to abide by without tweaking.

So reasons #4 and #10, which had been my main reasons for not buying SL, aren't now an issue. There's still #19/20: not being an Evangelical, I really prefer either a secular program or one that's attuned to my own faith, and most of the tweaking I still have to do for SL is related to that.

Frankly I find #20 the single most obnoxiously phrased reason: they make it sound that if you're a Christian but not an Evangelical, you should find their "broad vision" just fine, and if you don't, it's because you want a "narrow" approach and don't want to "speak to ... people who believe differently than you do." But honestly I don't find the IG notes to have a "broad vision." Still, I'm quite happy with the book selection (I replace the missionary stories) and the schedule. Especially when I realized you're not supposed to be doing both readers at once!

What's the deal with all those superfluous quotation marks?! Gah!

Is it just me? "Great Books", "Great Conversation" and "classical education". I don't even consider myself a classical educator and that was bugging me! :glare:

ETA: Need to update my sig. We are dropping Sonlight this year, and adding lit for a little variety in our perspective--not an "emotional response".

To me, sonlight sounds AMAZING I have been :drool: over sonlight for years. These are my reasons for deciding not to (though I still :drool: over it a times :blushing:)

2. They want a program with lots of hands-on activities built in.-- my kids are VERY visual/hands on

4.They believe Sonlight is too expensive-- enough said, I saw their prices. I spend probably more than that for each kid anyways, but I pick and chose what is best for us so I get close to the "perfect" curriculum for us as I can. I would still have to do alot of tweaking (because I cant leave well enough alone :lol:)

9. They want a "Bible-centered" homeschool program.-- Enough said!

10. They enjoy creating their own plans and schedules and assembling lesson supplies.-- Like I said, I have to get things just right for us so I tweak alot of things and piece curriculum together for what I feel WE need, not what a particular publisher thinks we need

13. They feel compelled to "do it all," whatever their Instructor's Guide mentions.-- :blushing: Yes I am one of those people that make sure we finish all our books every year.

16. They want to teach history in a 4-year chronological cycle.-- It just makes more sense to me, we study American history chronologically as well (in addition to world history)

For me it was just #19. I knew the curriculum was religious, but their clarification of what that meant really helped me decide that it probably wasn't the right fit for me. I know several families who are secular and make it work for them, but I didn't think that a curriculum that emphasized and taught from the perspective of a Christian world view would be the right fit for my family.

I used sonlight last year and found it to be a wonderful fit. One thing we added to Core 1 and 6 was to use the Story of the World with the activity guide for some hands on activities. Are there any other curriculum's out there like sonlight with the activities built in? Thanks.

I used sonlight last year and found it to be a wonderful fit. One thing we added to Core 1 and 6 was to use the Story of the World with the activity guide for some hands on activities. Are there any other curriculum's out there like sonlight with the activities built in? Thanks.

Winter Promise

My Father's World

Heart of Dakota

All have daily schedules, and hands on. The last two are more Bible centered, as I understand it. WP has two levels that are more religious focus, Questions for the Ancient World and Quest for the Middle Ages. Though I have been told you can leave MOH out and make it pretty secular. Much of their science is also Christian.

Heather

I would say that even one reason on the 27 list is enough not to do it if you really feel strongly about that one reason. (There is a family in our group in which the children do not like read alouds at all. They probably shouldn't do Sonlight. Guess what they are going to try to do this year? )

A handful of the families in our homeschool group use Sonlight right now. I looked into it and found the following as to why I wouldn't use it (but I like some of the lit. choices for fun reading or supplementals to our own history studies):

2 - "hands on" - The kids like the projects that I manage to schedule in.

4 - $$$$$$$ - I can't spend that much.

10 - "enjoy putting together own curriculum" - I don't "enjoy" it, but one of the benefits of HSing is tweaking for each kid's needs.

16 - "4-yr chronology" - I'm sold on this.

26 - "curriculum you can touch & feel" - When possible, I really prefer this. Gotta say that there are enough families using Sonlight that I have been able to look over several IGs and that only convinced me further that I don't want to use it.

I didn't see it in my quick overview, but there was something in there about combining kids. I could combine my first two, but then would need to do at least two - and eventually three or more cores at the same time. I'm already strapped for time.

I am going to have to reread the list now! I haven't read it in a long time.

We have been SL users (other than one year) and we are now realizing that it isn't working for our needs. My boys much prefer the hands on and I have realized this year that my 10 year old is far more sensitive than I thought. We will revisit some of those books with sad endings and heart wrenching story lines when he gets older, but for now......

My 12 year old has Asperger's and struggles with reading and writing. There is no way he can read 4 books at a time and answer questions, etc....

So, we are looking at switching to a much more hands on curriculum with fewer books.

We will be selling the SL we have as I don't plan to use it. :tongue_smilie:

Dawn

We are messy, gooey, sticky, make projects, do lapbooks, notebook like crazy, cook things, glue things, spray paint things, make our own replica teepees, medieval castles, explorer's ships, etc. with cardboard boxes, dramatize things and go waaaay over the top with the fun part of school and then cover it all in glitter. Sonlight is so NOT!! Easy decision for us. :D SL would have bored my kids out of their minds. Me, too. Konos and WinterPromise were a much better fit for us.

Having said that, the way I homeschool makes my homeschooling neighbor break out in hives. :lol: She loves SL and has been using it for years.

Whatever works for your family is the best curriculum on the market. After 16 years of homeschooling, I firmly believe that.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I used Sonlight cores P3/4 and P4/5 and parts of core k and 1 during the last almost three years.

We aren't using it this year. I actually haven't ever read that list Sonlight put out! But just for the sake of this post I'll go read it and post any reasons that apply to my choice to put together my own curriculum this year...

2.They want a program with lots of hands-on activities built in. (This is the biggest reason by far)

4.They believe Sonlight is too expensive. (I think the books are well worth the money, but yeah, I can't afford it this year!)

8. They want most school years to focus on U.S. history and the culture. (This isn't entirely true but for 1st grade I did want to do US history)

10. They enjoy creating their own plans and schedules and assembling lesson supplies. (Not so much enjoy it but am super picky about it! I do enjoy it sometimes)

26. They want to touch and feel their curricular materials before they buy. (I do really like flipping through books before I buy them!)

I find that it is easy to find hands-on activities on the internet. I just take the current SL topic and google 'topic' craft, or 'topic' coloring etc and find heaps of stuff.

I *start* with Sonlight, but then I tweak it. I'm a born tweaker. :D

I use the IG for the chronological listing of the books and to see what goes together, but I don't follow the schedule.

I use the discussion questions as a guide for our discussions, but I don't read them off the paper.

This year I'm just going to hand the books over to ds and let him choose which to read when.

I take out the Protestant perspective (most of the books that are there to provide it) and replace it with a Catholic world view.

I add more books when we'd like a little more and skip some that we just don't like.

I don't buy new from SL anymore. Too expensive. I can get a used IG and pick up many of the books at library sales, used, or with teacher discounts at the big bookstore chains. Relatives give us gift cards to bookstores, too, and I use 'em! :D

So... many of the "reasons to not use SL" are just places I tweak. I guess it doesn't look a whole lot like SL by the time I'm done, but I do use the books and the IG.

I have used Cores 4, 6, and 7. Personally, I would have not attempeted Sonlight when my kids were very young. It was just too much!! But, as my ds grew, he became an avid reader, and we really enjoyed the cores we did. There is some mature subject matter, but in the read-alouds I would leave those parts out (this was for Core 4). We just finished Core 7 this year. When our youngest gets to 5th grade, I plan on spreding Cores 6 and 7 over four years to complete a cycle of world history. We LOVED the great books we read! But, like the others have said, if you have reservations, that is probably reson enough. I knew when the time was right for us to do this.

BTW, we will not be using Sonlight for high school. I just don't feel it is rigorous enough (many of the books are middle school level).

Also, I used Beautiful Feet when ds was in thrid grade for Early American History, and this was a great fit :)

I for one would love to hear what they chose INSTEAD of Sonlight? Anyone care to share?

After I sent SL back, we switched to Winter Promise. Indy loved it. This year we are moving back to the Trivium (we loved WP, but I regret going off the 4 year history cycle) so this year for history we are moving to History Odyssey (middle ages level 1). Of course this puts us a year behind on the history cycle, but I think for 4th grade we can do both early modern and modern history. For science we are using REAL Science Odyssey (chemistry level 1). For math we are using the much debated Teaching Textbooks. :D LA will be FLL 3, and we will be studying Latin and German, plus chess and continuing violin lessons.

Me. I use some of their book choices and I love the idea, but I know it wouldn't work at our house.

2. They want a program with lots of hands-on activities built in.

My kids need the hands on projects.

4.They believe Sonlight is too expensive.

6. They don't want to address false, foolish, or questionable ideas.

There is a time for this, but not in grades K-2 or maybe even 3 in our home. I want my kids to be more grounded in their truths and beliefs before we study others beliefs.

9. They want a "Bible-centered" homeschool program.

When we do ancients, I want to show how the Bible fits in.

11. They don't want any "sad" books, or "heavy" content.

My DD couldn't even handle slow, sad sounding music as an infant. It would make her cry every time. Even though she's older now, she still is super sensitive.

13. They feel compelled to "do it all," whatever their Instructor's Guide mentions.

I'm a box checker.

14. They want to present all content as "absolute truth," without question or doubt.

See #6.

22. They want to guard their children from anything “offensiveâ€â€”at all costs.

See #6.

Overall, I appreciated this list to help me see why this would probably not work for me. I wish more companies had things like this to help in my decision making.

It was the list that convinced me that Sonlight was not for me, but it wasn't one particular item... it was the fact that they had actually taken the time to write such a sarcastic, holier-than-thou list. And the misplaced "quotes"... gah, they drive me "insane." :glare:

:iagree: It's not very gracious to those who don't share their beliefs. However, it did a thorough job of convincing me not to spend my money on their curriculum. They do choose a lot of good books though.

What I find really amusing is that when I bring up the insulting tone of the list to friends who use SL they will often give me a "as Christians we need to get along and look past differences" speech. That's exactly what I'm saying. Why make a list that insults an entire group of Christians (not to mention those who are not Christians) just because they disagree on a few points?

But, then maybe I am answering my own question, because obviously, if you feel that the list is insulting, then the curriculum isn't for you. And that's what it is designed to do, after all. It does the job very well.