Menu

Need Help Spelling a Baby Name

I've asked all over town and the internet baby naming websites, and no one seems to be able to come to a consensus. I need help from some intelligent moms. We've chosen the name for our third daughter, sister to Anastasia and Aubrielle, but we can't settle on a spelling.

Phonetically, it's Ad-a-lin or Ad-a-lehn.

Many in our family suggest Adelynn because it will be not misprounounced, but I think it seems to modern to match my other girls' names' style.

I can't decide about Adeleine because I really like the sort-of French look of it, but it would be frequently mispronounced, and probably misspelled, but then Anastasia and Aubrielle aren't super easy names either and they do just fine.

I've tried to find some other alternative, Adalenne, perhaps, or Adilenne, but nothing seems just perfect.

And no, we aren't considering Adelaide, Madeline, or Adele. . .just "Ad-a-lin". We've been calling her that for months so it's kinda set on the name, just the spelling that's up in the air.

I've only got a couple weeks left to decide! Can anybody help?

Spell it the way you like - Adeleine. My son's name is Owain, pronounced 'Owen'. I really liked the spelling because it was different (it's French, too). I can only remember one time that it was mispronounced; the first time I took him to the pediatrician and they called him back. Otherwise, people almost always meet him and hear his name before they ever see it written down. I'm sure there have been other times people have gotten it wrong, but not much. I suppose this might be more of a problem as he gets older, or if he went to public school, but I figured if it really bothered him he can spell it however he wants later. HTH!

I like fairly standard spellings of names.

Adeleine looks like a real name - Adelynn looks like invented spelling. :)

There are some who really like invented spelling names - Katelynn instead of Caitlin, for example. So that's just my opinion, for whatever that's worth. :)

Go with what you like!!!

Seriously, people ask me to spell Morgan for them b/c it's become so "normal" to use all different types of spelling. It'll be misspelled no matter what you go with.

Signed, C-a-r-r-i-e, mom to Jared-with-one-r-and-an-e, H-a-l-e-i-g-h, Morgan-with-and-a-n, and Connor-with-two-n's-and-an-o. ;)

Except the "real" name is Adeline and is pronounced "a-dah-LEEN". So since the OP is going with an untraditional pronunciation, I would say go ahead with the phonetic spelling Addalyn.

Except the "real" name is Adeline and is pronounced "a-dah-LEEN". So since the OP is going with an untraditional pronunciation, I would say go ahead with the phonetic spelling Addalyn.

In this famous poem, it rhymes with 'divine'. http://www.famous-poems.org/poems/alfred-lord-tennyson/adeline (But yes, your pronunciation is in the babybooks also.)

I can't decide about Adeleine because I really like the sort-of French look of it, but it would be frequently mispronounced, and probably misspelled, but then Anastasia and Aubrielle aren't super easy names either and they do just fine.

I like Adeleine. Doesn't everyone have to spell their name anyway? Even if you have an easy first name, often you have to spell your last name. Or people know there are so many ways to spell names.

Spell it the way you want to. :)

I agree, spell it however you want. My only issue with the "French" spelling Adeleine, is that, in French, it would be pronounced A-del-ehn, not the pronunciation you are going for. Looking at it from an English perspective, I would pronounce Adeleine either A-del-ene or A-del-ine.

If you are very concerned about her name being pronounced correctly based on the spelling, I would go with one that has some form of "lyn" at the end. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

If I saw the spelling Adeleine, I would automatically pronounce it Ad- eh- layne. I would spell it Adelynn for your pronunciation.

:iagree: And if I saw Adalynn, I'd wonder if it was Ae-de-lynn, with a long A at the front.

Half the population will get it wrong anyway. People have no sense of phonetic awareness. I can't tell you how many times someone will LOOK at my name and then say "Kristin." You should hear them butcher my last name, and it's not uncommon, nor does it have an unexpected sound.

I can't decide about Adeleine because I really like the sort-of French look of it, but it would be frequently mispronounced, and probably misspelled . . .

I like Adeleine, too. It reminds me of dh's aunt name--Madeleine--which is pronounced like your Adeleine but with an M in front. ;)

Cinder

Even here, there seems to be a split decision. I think the consensus, if there is one, is that it doesn't really matter how I spell it, it will have to be spelled out for anyone who doesn't know it and possibly have pronunciation corrected. Thanks for all your help though. I think I've decided to go with Adeleine (which, according to the French would be Ad-lehn) because I actually prefer the lehn sound to lynn (especially since we live in East Texas where Lynn's end up being "Lee-un") I've done quite a bit of research on it and to correct, Adeline is Ad-uh-Line, long I. There's an old song Sweet Adeline. We don't want Adeline, but are willing to correct from it. I've been called the wrong name so many times I think I know what she'll have to deal with. Thanks again!

Go with what you like!!!

Seriously, people ask me to spell Morgan for them b/c it's become so "normal" to use all different types of spelling. It'll be misspelled no matter what you go with.

Signed, C-a-r-r-i-e, mom to Jared-with-one-r-and-an-e, H-a-l-e-i-g-h, Morgan-with-and-a-n, and Connor-with-two-n's-and-an-o. ;)

:iagree:

There are some who really like invented spelling names - Katelynn instead of Caitlin, for example. So that's just my opinion, for whatever that's worth. :)

If I saw the spelling Adeleine, I would automatically pronounce it Ad- eh- layne. I would spell it Adelynn for your pronunciation.

:iagree: I agree that Adelynn looks invented to me too, but it is the closest to the pronunciation that you want to use, so I would go with that.

DD11 has a name that is commonly mispronounced as it has an -ana ending. Everyone wants to pronounce it -onna not -ana with a short 'a'. If I would have known at the time, I would have doubled the 'n' to clarify.

I do not like invented spellings as a rule, but Aubrielle is an invented name, so technically, I did invent that spelling and Adelynn/Adeleine is sort of invented too. I guess I want the one that looks most like a real name, not a Katelynn (no offense to any Katelynn's or their mommas). Since Madeleine is a real name, dropping the M seems most like a traditional spelling. And I found an obituary through google for an 88 year old named Adeleine, so I guess it did exist long ago--what I wanted.

Thanks. It probably will be, but not always, and I think I just needed to hear that.

I don't know - It is essentially Madeleine without the 'M.' Madeleine is a very popular name, and has been used a lot over the past ten years, so that I think people will pronounce Adeleine the way you want them to. Be prepared when they all shorten it to the easier to say/spell 'Addy' though! ;)

Adeleine is beautiful. :)

:iagree:

Why would people mispronounce that spelling? If I saw it, I would pronounce it to rhyme with Madeleine since it's only missing the M. I almost always hear people pronounce Madeleine as rhyming with the pronunciation you want (very, very rarely I'll hear the more French-sounding "mad-uh-lenn."

I've asked all over town and the internet baby naming websites, and no one seems to be able to come to a consensus. I need help from some intelligent moms. We've chosen the name for our third daughter, sister to Anastasia and Aubrielle, but we can't settle on a spelling.

Phonetically, it's Ad-a-lin or Ad-a-lehn.

Many in our family suggest Adelynn because it will be not misprounounced, but I think it seems to modern to match my other girls' names' style.

I've tried to find some other alternative, Adalenne, perhaps, or Adilenne, but nothing seems just perfect.

And no, we aren't considering Adelaide, Madeline, or Adele. . .just "Ad-a-lin". We've been calling her that for months so it's kinda set on the name, just the spelling that's up in the air.

I've only got a couple weeks left to decide! Can anybody help?

I live in a bilingual (French/English) area, and this is the French spelling that I know. Adeleine. It is a fairly common name around here, especially with older (over 60) women. It is pronounced "ad-lehn" with the accent on the second syllable. I would spell it the real French way, because I dislike unusual spellings of perfectly good names, and if you have to correct someone on the pronunciation, just tell them it is French (which it is!).

Adeleine

I thought about your spelling issue this morning and wondered...

Doesn't the 'ei' force it to be a long 'a' sound?

I was concerned too. Since my oldest daughter and I have been working through OPGto Reading this year, I was very aware of the phonics of it, but I can't think of an English word that has the ei combo with the silent e at the end. It's a french spelling so I wanted to make sure my pronounciation is correct French at least (though we say Aubrielle "au" not "o"). Madeleine is pronounced Mad-lehn in french. As long as that last syllable is not -laine, -leen, or -line, I'm okay with it. -lehn and -lin are very close. I actually prefer -lehn, but most people will say -lin, we just are that hyper-aware of vowel sounds.

Today I am considering Adelinne. This is a completely invented spelling but seems to have the style and pronounciation I prefer. My facebook friends say no, stick with Adeleine.

My dd is Analiese pronounces an-uh-lease. Spelling it is a pain but not a big enough a deal that I would change it cause I love the name and it's spelling.

Of your choices I like Adelynn best.

I love Analiese or Anneliese, would have used that myself if I didn't already have one who started with "ana".

I live in a bilingual (French/English) area, and this is the French spelling that I know. Adeleine. It is a fairly common name around here, especially with older (over 60) women. It is pronounced "ad-lehn" with the accent on the second syllable. I would spell it the real French way, because I dislike unusual spellings of perfectly good names, and if you have to correct someone on the pronunciation, just tell them it is French (which it is!).

Thank you. This is very helpful. I sorta wanted and "old lady" name for this one. :001_smile:

I was concerned too. Since my oldest daughter and I have been working through OPGto Reading this year, I was very aware of the phonics of it, but I can't think of an English word that has the ei combo with the silent e at the end. It's a french spelling so I wanted to make sure my pronounciation is correct French at least (though we say Aubrielle "au" not "o"). Madeleine is pronounced Mad-lehn in french. As long as that last syllable is not -laine, -leen, or -line, I'm okay with it. -lehn and -lin are very close. I actually prefer -lehn, but most people will say -lin, we just are that hyper-aware of vowel sounds.

Today I am considering Adelinne. This is a completely invented spelling but seems to have the style and pronounciation I prefer. My facebook friends say no, stick with Adeleine.

I stumble more on this spelling than the original Adeleine. LOL I feel like there should be a pause in the double nns on the end. LOL

Honestly, if you like Adeleine....I would just name her with that spelling. I think that when you start getting creative, people are going to make errors anyways, so at least it is the way you want it. :0) Just know you are always going to be saying "its ad-lyn, its French :D".

DD11 has her name mispronounced more often then not. She really doesn't care. She answers to both pronunciations. Sometimes (especially common at Drs offices when the nurse is calling us by her first name only) they omit letters altogether (like calling someone Alex instead of Alexa) I have to make sure that they are calling the correct person, but I am used to it so it doesn't bug us.

DD3 was named by her birth mom with an invented spelling (actually an invented name lol). Even though it is pronounce phonetically, people still stumble when they see it written, all-the-time. There is awkward vowel (ae)combination in her name really messes with people. LOL We will eventually rename her, as we call her by a different name all together.

I much prefer Adelynn to Adelinne. The former looks less invented since "Lynn" is a real name.

I vote for Adeleine because I have a Madeleine and love the french spelling and pronunciation. Although, my dd is just now remembering how to spell her full name and she just turned 8. It was confusing to her for awhile but I think that's because I let her sign everything "Maddie" for too long, so she just wasn't used to it.