Menu

Don't get mad - anyone not do file, plan. . .

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

I rarely find myself writting out weekly plans. ANyone else? I guess I want to feel like I am not missing something. Here's what I do: Math - we do the next lesson; literature - dd 7th is doing Kolbe jr high plans - all laid out nicely; ds 2nd - well, we just read and discuss; ds 12th - using progeny press guides for literature; science - am lucky I out source this; history - dd using A Light to the Nations (catholic textbook project) and it works nicely to do one chapter every 2 weeks; ds 12th is using abeka gov't and economics - works to do chapter per week with all tests. . .and will assign essays where appropriate; . . . you get the idea

Seems for me (I know we are all different and no one way is right for everyone) that I don't want to extra work of typing/writting out weekly plans. Well, having 2nd grader, 7th grader, and especially a 12th grader (only science outsourced!) - I think the extra time will kill me! Its all I can do to be reading their history and literature, as well as doing calculus with my son (I have my own text and do all the problems on my own before we grade together!). Oh, and I read their religion books too (am reading through ds 12th grade Morality text this summer).

How do you girls do it all?

Barb

Hey, if what you are doing works for you and you are able to accomplish what you need to don't worry about doing all the planning. :001_smile:

I dream of making all our work open and go but it just doesn't work for us that way. I will write out the night before on a pad of paper what I want to accomplish the next day. I plan to do that in a notebook this year to keep it for the portfolio reviews we have in here in MD. But anyways... some people need all the planning and some people just love doing all the planning. But I don't think you are missing out on anything if what you are doing works for you.:D

I never put a plan on paper until this year (oldest in 7th grade). I never felt we needed a plan...I just had a general idea of what we were going to do for unit studies and the seat work is, like you said, sequential.

This year, though, I'm trying to discipline myself and kids to work from lists and budget their time. So, I fought with Home School Tracker and, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth, won. The boys like having a printed agenda to work from and they really are getting more work done.

So...I'm, by nature, a 'wing and a prayer' home schooler who is, by necessity, becoming a planner.

Whatever works for ya!

Guest Barb B

OK I am curious. I know there is a file planning thread somewhere - people keep talking about. I can't find it. Can someone link (cause I curious)>

Barb

I think it also depends on what paperwork you have to file. I have to file an IHIP by quarter in all subjects in August. Which means I need to know about where we'll be in Rightstart Math in order to put what topics will be covered. So I take a quick glance through the lessons, figure 4lessons/week, divide it up and that's my math planning. I have a two-page spread which has 20weeks down the left side and subjects across the top. I write Math, and then lesson numbers in each block (each block is a week). Count out the weeks according to my district calendar in his grading period, and then transfer the topics to the IHIP. Same with the other subjects. SO even though RS is pick up and go, I need a reasonable idea as to where we'll be when. then at the end of each week, I take a highlighter and highlight the work we've done in each square. In a single glance, I can see if we're on schedule, ahead, or behind in all subjects.

I'm finding i need to plan more now that I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader. I need to plan ahead to make sure the library books are in on time. I have to plan ahead to get supplies ready for science which has meant reading through our science curriculum, choosing which experiments we'll do, writing a list of supplies required so I can start gathering them. I find if I'm prepared, more gets done. I"ve only felt the need to do this until this year. My preKer takes a lot of time as well as I'm trying to spend more time on me so I need to carve out 1.5hrs each day for running and working out so I need to be efficient with our HS time.

Me! I had the same reaction to workboxes when they were all the buzz a year ago, and I feel the same way about the filing system now. It seems like a lot of extra work.

We have a bookshelf for each kid with their books on them.

Then each kid has a clipboard. On the clipboard is one laminated page with their loop schedule on one side, and brief instructions on what to do in each subject in general "do the next thing" terms. Any finished work gets stuck on the clipboard, then they put it in their notebooks on Fridays.

AFter all these years of homeschooling, I like it to be simple and open and go. Also, I don't like the place having a bunch of school room looking stuff everywhere. I'm tired of that and prefer simplicity in that area, too.

My prep work consists of reading their literature ahead of them. I suppose when we get to algebra 2 and above I'll have to review that ahead, too. I do Latin with them (much like you are doing Calculus).

As the kids get older prepwork really has to be about prereading rather than copying coloring pages. I dont' have time for both!

I get the need to organize everything, but I've found the simpler I keep it, the more organized I actually am.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

i have been trying to plan for years~i just can never seem to stick to the plans i make.:lol:

Making the plan and sticking to the plan are two VERY separate things.:tongue_smilie:

I love to plan - and at the end of the year (where we are now) I can see all things that didn't go according to the paln this year.

I rarely find myself writting out weekly plans. ANyone else? I guess I want to feel like I am not missing something. Here's what I do: Math - we do the next lesson; literature - dd 7th is doing Kolbe jr high plans - all laid out nicely; ds 2nd - well, we just read and discuss; ds 12th - using progeny press guides for literature; science - am lucky I out source this; history - dd using A Light to the Nations (catholic textbook project) and it works nicely to do one chapter every 2 weeks; ds 12th is using abeka gov't and economics - works to do chapter per week with all tests. . .and will assign essays where appropriate; . . . you get the idea

Seems for me (I know we are all different and no one way is right for everyone) that I don't want to extra work of typing/writting out weekly plans. Well, having 2nd grader, 7th grader, and especially a 12th grader (only science outsourced!) - I think the extra time will kill me! Its all I can do to be reading their history and literature, as well as doing calculus with my son (I have my own text and do all the problems on my own before we grade together!). Oh, and I read their religion books too (am reading through ds 12th grade Morality text this summer).

How do you girls do it all?

Barb

My planning phase comes in when I buy curriculum. I make sure I choose mostly open-and-go items. For most subjects, we just do the next lesson in the book/workbook. The only planning I regularly do is to make sure that I have the project supplies and reading suggestions for SOTW and Science when I need them.

We have minimal requirements for record keeping in WA. I do keep a Word doc with a list of curriculum used, weekly chart of time spent per subject per day, and a list of lessons covered and books read. However, this is all done after the fact.

The goal is to get our children educated. Sounds like you do a great job of accomplishing that without a lot of structured plans. I am HORRIBLE at flying by the seat of my pants. I need the motivation of a check list or we would do nothing but read all day long. :lol: Different folks... :)

Guest Barb B

Well, I have decided that is costs more money my way. For instance, I just ordered Kolbe's 7th grade religion plans because they have the Faith and Life text with the Baltimore Catechism already planned out. I didn't want to take the time to figure out which baltimore catechism chapter went with which Faith and Life chapter (it wasn't as obvious as I hoped). Soooo, I payed the 35$ for the plans. So, for me it really isn't flying by the seat of my pants. I just try to get things that are already planned out so then it is just tweeking as we go.

Barb

I didn't plan this year. Last year I did, but quickly got off track which left me feeling more and more behind. My "plan" this year is simply to do 4 subjects per day. I have a chart that shows which subjects are covered on which days. That is all. On a similar chart (word document), I record what is actually covered after we are done. Today's subjects were math, phonics, writing and geography. We are done. We'll most likely do some more rock projects later today and that will just be a bonus. So instead of feeling behind, we feel good about getting extra done. We're at the end of week 3 and I've found that we've been doing more than had I tried to plan. I am only schooling one child and we are doing 1st grade. I'm sure those 2 facts help made it easier for me to take this approach than if I had multiple children and higher grade levels.

There are all types of ways to plan, some just don't fit as well as others.

My mom did a lesson plan book, and then a card file -- so she turned her "big" lesson plan into a "do-the-next-thing" plan. My brother would just pull a card out, and do the lesson marked there. If he got behind, my mom didn't have to re-work the whole book, he just had days added to his calendar (or had to to an extra assignment...etc.)

I tried this with my littles...it was just too much, especially since much of what we did was already "do the next thing." However, as we begin to enter middle and high school, less and less of that will be open and go, and will require actual planning. I'm kind of looking forward to it, with a bit of dread mixed in (is that possible? :lol:)

I did my own lesson planning in high school -- and it REALLY helped in college. In college, it's not only about knowing how to "study." It's also about how to manage your time.

After I received my course syllabus -- I would sit down with my calendar/planner and enter the due dates, and break down the reading list, paper due dates into an over-all study plan. I was also on a competitive travelling team, which meant I had to have assignments in early (no grace period if I was out of town). If I had never learned how to do this (plan a course and assignments out), it would have made college much more difficult.

Many of my friends who didn't know how to plan only "worried" about the due date and had no idea how to schedule their time to prevent cramming for a test, quiz, paper. They were the frazzled ones, and my life looked so easy comparatively.

So while, I generally agree a "do the next thing" approach is very easy to implement, at some point we have to teach our children how to figure out what the steps are to determine what they need to do when... and that requires planning.

I rarely find myself writting out weekly plans. ANyone else?

I don't plan anything out because my brain doesn't work that way. I buy the curriculum, and each day we just move on to the next lesson. I have tried to plan, but I don't like it.

It is funny because I am working on my teacher's credential, and last spring I had to do student teaching for a first grade classroom. The hardest part of that experience was writing out a week's worth of lessons. I knew what I wanted to teach, but I had so much trouble writing it out. :001_huh: I guess lesson plans are not for me.

I don't write out weekly plans. It's stresses me out too much when we don't get it done. What I do is use Homeschool Skedtrack. We check off each lesson as we do it. If we don't get it done the program pushes it back a day. Love it! I leave an extra 3-weeks at the end of our school year, which allows for unexpected days off, sick days or needing to spend extra time on a lesson. Stress free! Just involves a lot of set up before school starts, but I love that part.

How can you be missing something if what you're doing is working for you? ;)

I haven't really planned until this school year. But I had to make a schedule for the kids that told them exactly what to do every day so there was no question of 'how much more' or 'how much longer'. I'm in school myself so I just need to manage my time better. I'm even trying to get back onto a Flylady type routine. It's definitely not in my nature to have routines, but I have to grudgingly admit our days go more smoothly. When I was just 'doing the next thing' I often pushed the kids to do more than they really needed to do in a day. I push myself so it was a natural extension of that need to overdo things.

So no, I don't think you're missing out on anything if you're getting the work done and feel good about how you're getting it done.

Guest Barb B

So while, I generally agree a "do the next thing" approach is very easy to implement, at some point we have to teach our children how to figure out what the steps are to determine what they need to do when... and that requires planning.

Agreed! For some subjects - history or reading a literature book - from middle school and high school my kids know when they need the book ready by or the essay handed in or the chapter read. It is up to them to plan the day to day work. Math and grammar are the only subjects that are really "do the next thing"; for the others, my kids need to figure out how many pages a day to read or what day to do the outline of an essay and what day to write the 1st draft. On these type of things I never tell them day to day what to do. In fact, I was amazed that the abeka government and economics course still have day to day plans - these I refuse to have ds use. I will just tell him when the tests are (not what is on them) and when assignments are due! So, I guess in the long run, what I have been doing isn't lazy on my part but a good way to prepare my kids for college!

Barb

I've decided instead of a lesson plan to create a weekly checklist for myself. I typed out all our subjects as well as the number I times I want to do them each week, and then I just check off as we go along. It helps me to see what still needs to be done, without specifying exactly which pages will be read, completed, etc. I like it so far! I also have a notebook in which I write down everything we do each day, and I transfer that over into a final neatly written record book.

I plan out a few things, like with SOTW-I line up what activities/maps etc I want to get done. However even though I am a planner by nature and LOVE spending hours writing stuff out :D I've found 'for me' it ends up being alot of wasted time because it never turns out the way I plan. What I actually did in my planner last year was write out the following for each kid:

Math

Read to me

HWT

Grammar

etc.....

without the lesson numbers written in. Then I can check off the subject (I would probably forget things if I didn't) but I wouldn't have to spaz out if our math lesson took 2 days instead of one ;)

I log & file afterward. When we started, my DH wanted me to write a list of goals to be covered in the year a la the state standards. I started it but never finished. Keeping a log helps me see whether we're on track without causing me to rebel the way schedules do.

I hate following pre-planned schedules, whether it's a diet, fitness plan, or a school schedule. Must be the "P" part of my Meyers-Briggs personality type. ;)

I have to say - I honestly don't get all the lesson planning and filing and such.

1.) What happens when a math lesson takes a week or so to work through? Or for it to 'gel' with a child? There have been several times that I just set aside a math lesson until my child was developmentally ready for it. Like counting coins. My son memorized The Gettysburg Address in three days but could. not. remember coin value for anything! I just skipped over those lessons for several months, then went back to them and - it just clicked for him then. In this case, I just think it is easier to work with a child, where they are, then to push through an assignment.

2.) I view learning as an on-going adventure, not as something to 'finish' or work our way through.

3.) I like to take advantage of educational opportunities when they pop up. Like an unexpected trip out of town and a chance to see a mammoth museum... I like the flexibility of going off-course and exploring things as they come up. Likewise, if we then get to a lesson in, say, science that we have already covered I don't hesitate to skip over it.

4.) DS goes off on tangents - like last year he kept checking videos out from the library on geometry. :tongue_smilie: So we set aside our regular math books for a while so he could study geometry. Earlier this year he got interested in bridge construction, so we spent one day a week studying bridge types and their history. I tell my son all the time - this is YOUR education, you are free to study what you want - I am here as a guide and to make sure the basics are covered.

That's just me, though. That is the awesome thing about homeschooling -- everyone finds their own way to make their children's education successful. For some that is lesson planning and filing. But for me - I just keep a loose schedule penciled in and will happily erase and change course at a moment's notice.

I have to say - I honestly don't get all the lesson planning and filing and such.

1.) What happens when a math lesson takes a week or so to work through? Or for it to 'gel' with a child? There have been several times that I just set aside a math lesson until my child was developmentally ready for it. Like counting coins. My son memorized The Gettysburg Address in three days but could. not. remember coin value for anything! I just skipped over those lessons for several months, then went back to them and - it just clicked for him then. In this case, I just think it is easier to work with a child, where they are, then to push through an assignment.

2.) I view learning as an on-going adventure, not as something to 'finish' or work our way through.

3.) I like to take advantage of educational opportunities when they pop up. Like an unexpected trip out of town and a chance to see a mammoth museum... I like the flexibility of going off-course and exploring things as they come up. Likewise, if we then get to a lesson in, say, science that we have already covered I don't hesitate to skip over it.

4.) DS goes off on tangents - like last year he kept checking videos out from the library on geometry. :tongue_smilie: So we set aside our regular math books for a while so he could study geometry. Earlier this year he got interested in bridge construction, so we spent one day a week studying bridge types and their history. I tell my son all the time - this is YOUR education, you are free to study what you want - I am here as a guide and to make sure the basics are covered.

That's just me, though. That is the awesome thing about homeschooling -- everyone finds their own way to make their children's education successful. For some that is lesson planning and filing. But for me - I just keep a loose schedule penciled in and will happily erase and change course at a moment's notice.

I like your mind set about your kiddos learning! It seems like such an easy way to learn. I hope I can be this flexible.

I haven't read the other posts, but I don't write anything out because I really don't see the need. Math, grammar, spelling, SL, etc. - we just do the next lesson. I do have a weekly checklist for my kids so they can see what subjects they need to do each day, but that's it.

This year, I did actually read a book that inspired me to put together my own music and art appreciation lessons (very basic and I pretty much copied the ideas from the book), but I made a grid so that I would know what books we would use for each 6 weeks of the lessons. It didn't take me long to do, but I wanted something on paper so I could make sure I had the books on hand and I knew what we would do each week.

So, I am thinking that most people that write out lesson plans and/or use filing systems do so because they either design their own lessons, they have curriculum that is not pick-up-and-go or they just enjoy organizing things.

Lisa

I was a do the next lesson person for years. Last year I started putting all the girls' work in a binder with a chart telling them exactly what to do each day, basically a lesson plan. This gave them some control over their work. They know what has to get done that week. They don't have to wait for me; they can get it done early and have more time for other activities of their choice. The girls loved it. I think they liked knowing what was coming that week and what was expected of them, no surprises. I liked having more time to work with my younger two and the built in record keeping. I just keep their completed lesson plan for my monthly reviews. Before I would be scrambling around in books trying to figure out exactly what we did that month.

Now I have jumped on the filing bandwagon. It's basically the same thing I was doing before, but all the work is done now instead of on the weekends throughout the school year. Most of what they need to do each week is in their file. No searching for books - It's all in one place, except for a reading book or LOF.

I NEVER thought I would ever do this. I could never understand the planning. It has just become a necessity. I can't fly by the seat of my pants and teach four kids. I do allow for change, though. I move things from one week to another have no problem changing things on my lesson plan. It's kind of a "living document", always changing.

I guess the planning becomes more important with multiple kids.

I haven't read the other posts, but I don't write anything out because I really don't see the need. Math, grammar, spelling, SL, etc. - we just do the next lesson. I do have a weekly checklist for my kids so they can see what subjects they need to do each day, but that's it.

This year, I did actually read a book that inspired me to put together my own music and art appreciation lessons (very basic and I pretty much copied the ideas from the book), but I made a grid so that I would know what books we would use for each 6 weeks of the lessons. It didn't take me long to do, but I wanted something on paper so I could make sure I had the books on hand and I knew what we would do each week.

So, I am thinking that most people that write out lesson plans and/or use filing systems do so because they either design their own lessons, they have curriculum that is not pick-up-and-go or they just enjoy organizing things.

Lisa

Would you mind sharing the title of this book? Thanks!

That is the awesome thing about homeschooling -- everyone finds their own way to make their children's education successful. For some that is lesson planning and filing. But for me - I just keep a loose schedule penciled in and will happily erase and change course at a moment's notice.

:iagree: I love my "old fashioned pencils" and my pink eraser. ;) I think I fall in the middle, I write out the weeks lessons, in pencil, subject to change, each Sunday. I do write general plans out over the summer. I do tweak, a lot, so I wonder how much that impacts those subjects?

Edited by melmichigan

Before I started reading this forum, I always felt like I was a over-organized homeschooler because most people I know are much looser than me. But here I feel like an over-relaxed person. We do no schedule (except for our activities) and no lesson plans. Our school space is organized, but there's no real system to it.

We do goal setting. And I have times that are set aside for keeping up portfolios and cleaning things out. That helps me stop and reflect for a couple of days and that usually keeps us on track. I do a good bit of planning ahead of time - finding materials, thinking about projects... But it's mostly internal to me. I'm our organization. It's not something I could put down in a book or a folder or on a calendar because I let us go with the ebb and flow of other stuff and can adjust things as we go. As my kids get older, it might change, but I don't know...

I rarely find myself writting out weekly plans. ANyone else? I guess I want to feel like I am not missing something.

I map out a reason year's work (like Singapore level XA and XB), decide how many pages a month I must average, and plunge ahead. Since I have only one, I like to be nimble on my feet and spend an entire Saturday doing a month's worth of art study. We can still diddle around for fun in art, and slip in a bio or two for read-alouds. This attitude would shoot any plans in the foot.

I admit this might change as kiddo gets older.

I don't plan. I keep a journal of what we did so I can go back and look at it (I have to submit quarterly reports in my state). Otherwise, it is pretty much open and go to the next thing. The only thing I look ahead on is science, history, and art so I can gather the items I need for any projects. Otherwise, no I don't write lesson plans, nor care how long this or that takes. It takes as long as it takes. We spend as much time on stuff as we need to.

:iagree: This is almost exactly what I do. I keep a notebook with a list of the topics (and resources/projects we'd like to use) we'll eventually get to (for science & history). As we approach that topic, I gather the necessary resources. Everything else is go onto the next lesson type stuff. I don't worry about how long things take. I want the option to rabbit trail if we want.

And I just write down what we do after we do it. I don't need to submit reports, but I do want a record of what we accomplished because sometimes it doesn't feel like much! :)

This is me as well!

If I use a workbook or a text type of book that is laid out in chapters, then I can just "do the next thing", unless, of course, I decide that I think the order is off and I need to change it, LOL.... But I don't tend to use textbooks for things like geography, history, literature, or science, so my "planning" is primarily of those things where I'm putting together lists of living books to use and deciding on worksheets to supplement science topics, potential writing assignments, etc.

I don't make any plans as far as pre-planning, but we do write down what we accomplish daily in some sort of planner. This year my highschooler will be keeping his own records with his own daily planner.

For my little one, I'll write down what we do as it gets done, but other than that, we are "do the next thing" people! :lol:

I do aim to have all things homeschooling very organized as I don't want to be hunting down scissors, calculators, and rulers when we really need them for a lesson.

Dee

I like planning in theory, but we always end up flying by the seat of our pants. I am trying to do more planning this year so my dd can become more independent, but we will have to see how that goes.

Here are a few more links that pertain to that book mentioned earlier, Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss:

A Blog http://ebeth.typepad.com/reallearning/

4 Real Forums http://4real.thenetsmith.com/

Suggested Book List That is Suggested in the Book http://charlottemason.tripod.com/4real_learning_booklist.htm (also mentioned on the blog)

I think I may have to go read the book again...have not read it in years!