Menu

s/o - Birth control "failure"

I think the statistics make people more confident in birth control than they should be.

To me 98% effective, means that 98/100 times I have sex...it will be effective. That can lead to a lot of 2/100 times babies! :party:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I didn't realize women used both the pill and condoms. I always figured the pill replaced the need for a condom.

I've had two surprise gifts.

First time, I was on the pill, using condoms with spermicide, AND watching the calendar. I conceived on the 20-something day of my cycle when the condom broke.

Second time, I was on the progesterone only pill, due to nursing. And I was careful, because I didn't want 2 children close together.

But efficacy rates are NEVER what they say they are. Let's be honest. Birth control isn't any different than any other drug, in that pharmaceutical and medical companies quite regularly overstate the efficacy of their drugs and devices. Is this really a big secret? The FDA allows companies to submit only their best studies - not the ones that are the most accurate, but the ones that make their drugs appear the safest and most effective. So I do not for one minute believe that birth control is any different than all the rest - it's simply less effective than they claim. I'm surprised that that would surprise anyone.

And yes, my oral contraceptive failed, despite my taking it regularly, every day, like clockwork. I didn't want any children back then. In fact, I didn't even like them. I wasn't on antibiotics. I wasn't taking St. John's Wort (some say it might interfere). I was taking Zoloft, but supposedly that doesn't interfere....but who knows if it really does or not? Not me, probably not anyone else, either. If my doc hadn't refused to give me an IUD (along with 2 others I'd asked) because "We don't place IUD's in women who've never had children," then I'd have had an IUD.

I'd also count myself in the "probably very fertile" camp. When I had my IUD removed, 5 years after DD1, I got pregnant within that week. Personally, I don't even know how that happened, since, going by my cycle length, I should've had much too short of a luteal phase (7 days or less!) for a fertilized egg to implant. But it did anyway.

Edited by Snowfall

But efficacy rates are NEVER what they say they are. Let's be honest. Birth control isn't any different than any other drug, in that pharmaceutical and medical companies quite regularly overstate the efficacy of their drugs and devices. Is this really a big secret? The FDA allows companies to submit only their best studies - not the ones that are the most accurate, but the ones that make their drugs appear the safest and most effective. So I do not for one minute believe that birth control is any different than all the rest - it's simply less effective than they claim. I'm surprised that that would surprise anyone.

And yes, my oral contraceptive failed, despite my taking it regularly, every day, like clockwork. I didn't want any children back then. In fact, I didn't even like them. I wasn't on antibiotics. I wasn't taking St. John's Wort (some say it might interfere). I was taking Zoloft, but supposedly that doesn't interfere....but who knows if it really does or not? Not me, probably not anyone else, either. If my doc hadn't refused to give me an IUD (along with 2 others I'd asked) because "We don't place IUD's in women who've never had children," then I'd have had an IUD.

I'd also count myself in the "probably very fertile" camp. When I had my IUD removed, 5 years after DD1, I got pregnant within that week. Personally, I don't even know how that happened, since, going by my cycle length, I should've had much too short of a luteal phase (7 days or less!) for a fertilized egg to implant. But it did anyway.

True, but when women are using multiple methods at the same time...

True, but when women are using multiple methods at the same time...

Oh, I'm not saying that to suggest that they should "know better" or something, if that's what you mean. :) My post was a direct response to the OP, who really doesn't seem to be considering the possibility that bc simply isn't as effective as it's claimed to be. It's almost certainly not as effective as they say it is. Drugs never are. Devices never are. That's just the way it is. I don't find it surprising at all that, in a discussion about bc failure, the failure rate would be higher than 1%, even when women are using it properly. I think the actual effectiveness, even when used properly, is lower than 98 or 99%. Probably not by huge amounts, but definitely lower.

It's funny that people play the lottery when the odds are one in a million and think they will win, but when the failure rate of the BC they use is 2 in 100 (for perfect use of a condom, for example,) they think they won't get pregnant. :D

If 100 of us decide we don't want any children and decide to use condoms for the roughly 25 years of our fertile and sexually active lives (being conservative here, late teens to early forties,) we would have 50 unplanned children by the end of that time (every year, 2 out of 100 condom users get pregnant, multiplied by 25 years.)

So, yes, I think there are probably plenty of women who are telling the truth that they got pregnant while correctly using birth control.

Edited by angela in ohio

I think the statistics make people more confident in birth control than they should be.

To me 98% effective, means that 98/100 times I have sex...it will be effective. That can lead to a lot of 2/100 times babies! :party:

This is how I have always read the statistics, but I am thinking some people on this thread think it means only 2 out of every 100 people using BC will EVER become pregnant while using it. :confused: I don't know what the stats actually mean now!

I have known at least 10 women to get pregnant using BC that can not have user error: tubes tied, vasectomy, norplant, the patch, iud and Depo. I know many more who got prego on the pill and condoms.

I have known at least 10 women to get pregnant using BC that can not have user error: tubes tied, vasectomy, norplant, the patch, iud and Depo. I know many more who got prego on the pill and condoms.

You can get pregnant and with user error with the patch and Depo. If you do not go *exactly* when you are supposed to have your next injection, fertility rises. Same with the patch, you have to be very careful and not miss the date to change it.

And IUD does not prevent pregnancy, it actually stops the pregnancy from implanting.

Vasectomys and Tubals are very effective, when the doc does them properly. ;)

Both my cousin and myself got pregnant while on the shot. I was told that this was not uncommon. The real shocker was that it wasn't our only form of birth control. Age may have been a factor in that though, I was 19 at the time.

Danielle

Interesting, yes. I'm not aware of any failures in my circle of friends and family. I know of one pg caused by misuse. Most of the people I know have two children who were planned. (Yes, we talk about such things.)

Same here, but I do have a niece who swears a condom failed. Upon further discussion, she truly believed the condom didn't have to go on until right before ejaculation. :rolleyes: IMO, that doesn't even count as MIS-use, might as well have been NON-use. Ignorance causes a lot of pregnancies.

And IUD does not prevent pregnancy, it actually stops the pregnancy from implanting.

The Merina IUD is designed to suppress ovulation as a first defense, then squelch sperm mobility as a second line of defense, with preventing implantation as a last step.

Mine implanted in the tube, so I don't know if that qualifies as meeting the third line or not!

I can only tell you my experience in 13 years as a primary care physician (NOT a gyn): I had one true bc failure, including pills, IUD, and sterilization. I never knew of a barrier method failure, but these methods tend to be dogged by inconsistent and incorrect use which I think accounts for the high published failure rate. There was a study I saw several years ago that looked at condom use with diaphragm\spermicide, and in stable married couples who were given good, detailed instruction on their use, the study found similar effectiveness to IUD and the pill.

I have to give the disclaimer that there may have been failures that I did not know of. Because it was an HMO, all referrals to OBs were made my me though, so that gave me an extra insight.

Both my cousin and myself got pregnant while on the shot. I was told that this was not uncommon. The real shocker was that it wasn't our only form of birth control. Age may have been a factor in that though, I was 19 at the time.

Danielle

Oh yes, this is a very fertile time. :)

I was on the pill for endo starting at a very young age. I went thru *so* many freakin' different ones trying to find something that did not cause hormonal side effects. Thru this time I was not "safe" with that part of my life. A teen is *very* fertile, one slip up and yeah, more than likely you will get a pregnancy. From the time I was "active" at age 15 to when I conceived J at age 23, that is the *only* pregnancy I ever had. I was with my DH starting at age 17. We had *one* more pregnancy when J was 4 months of age, we lost that child however at 7wks. I am just not fertile.

I have a family member whom is a teen mom-two pregnancies in a year! She losts the first prengnancy-TWINS and less than a year later, yep. She was on the pill but did not take it like you are supposed to. Babies happen, and happen frequently at a young age when you are not as careful as you should be.

No, it means 2 pregnancies per "woman year," or a year in the life of a fertile sexually active woman. It's not per use.

They used to think that was how IUDs work, but the research has shown otherwise. What Carrie said about the Mirena. And the copper in the copper IUD is toxic to sperm. And they also change the cervical fluid, which makes it a challenge for the sperm to make it as far as the fallopian tubes. Almost all sperm that make it past the IUD are incapable of fertilization. And when they have compared the loss of fertilized eggs to women who don't use bc vs. those with IUDs, the numbers were not statistically different.

So... the point of this was?

This seems to me to be a "calling out" of those that said they had bc failure that led to a child, myself included, without any sort of evidence other than........................... well, the calling out.

Frankly, I'm tired of pointing out that bc is not 100% in any form. I know I wasn't impregnated by a flying saucer, rape, or in my sleep. Since I was awake and cognizant, I know I used bc, I know I used the instructions (even though I'd already learned in hs on a cucumber), I know I did it "right."

:shrug: Stats are as 100% as anything else. Myself, I'm not surprised to find that bc failure stats vary and in some cases could very well be wrong.

I can only tell you my experience in 13 years as a primary care physician (NOT a gyn): I had one true bc failure, including pills, IUD, and sterilization. I never knew of a barrier method failure, but these methods tend to be dogged by inconsistent and incorrect use which I think accounts for the high published failure rate. There was a study I saw several years ago that looked at condom use with diaphragm\spermicide, and in stable married couples who were given good, detailed instruction on their use, the study found similar effectiveness to IUD and the pill.

I have to give the disclaimer that there may have been failures that I did not know of. Because it was an HMO, all referrals to OBs were made my me though, so that gave me an extra insight.

:iagree:

My dad, an OB/GYN, used to say that the pill was 100% effective for those for whom it worked, and 0% effective for those for whom it didn't.

That has always cracked me up. I was the poster child for the pill. I was on it, it worked like a charm. I stopped it, and the next month I was pregnant. Guess he was right.

As to V-failures: the "modern method" is snip, clamp, singe according to everyone I've talked to - so I don't understand how anyone could have that "grow back" - especially when the tiny clamps are left in place.

a

(who didn't read the whole thread)

Frankly, I'm tired of pointing out that bc is not 100% in any form. I know I wasn't impregnated by a flying saucer, rape, or in my sleep. Since I was awake and cognizant, I know I used bc, I know I used the instructions (even though I'd already learned in hs on a cucumber), I know I did it "right."

Why so defensive? If you did everything "right", then you have nothing to explain. Many women here have said they did things unknowingly that may have contributed to their bc failing.

I got pregnant using spermicide. I'm the kind that reads every word of the directions and follows to a T. I had used spermicide for years in the same way with no problems. But that time, it wasn't enough to stop conception. Unfortunately, it resulted in miscarriage. Now we use double protection.

I edited my original post because I had worded it incorrectly. I, too, got pg using spermicides correctly. We used it for two months...the first month, it worked fine. The second month gave us a baby. I'm sorry about your miscarriage.:grouphug:

I've known since a teen that spermacide "alone" is not reliable. In conjunction with a condom or with a diaphragm, the effectiveness is high.

But alone?

I was 31 and hadn't clued into this. I advised a friend at work to use it since she wasn't able to take the pill. We had spermicide babies two weeks apart.:tongue_smilie:

Why so defensive? If you did everything "right", then you have nothing to explain. Many women here have said they did things unknowingly that may have contributed to their bc failing.

The OP sounds like she's saying she doesn't actually believe that so many posters' bc could have possibly failed. She's saying the numbers don't add up, so the implication is that people are only claiming that their bc failed, when in fact, they simply failed to use it properly. That was my take away from the original post.

Oral contraceptives did work for me for 6.5 years. It only takes one failure for people to start suggesting I just didn't use it right. 6.5 years of non-failure would suggest I did know what I was doing.

The OP sounds like she's saying she doesn't actually believe that so many posters' bc could have possibly failed. She's saying the numbers don't add up, so the implication is that people are only claiming that their bc failed, when in fact, they simply failed to use it properly. That was my take away from the original post.

I agree, and I think the many women who have admitted there may have been misuse, whether through ignorance or whatever else, on their part, bears this out. Condoms need to be stored and used properly, birth control pills need to be taken consistently and never with certain meds, vasectomies (apparently!) need to be checked, spermicides are never to be used alone... there appears to be a lot of room for error.

I disagree. A woman having her uterus and/or ovaries would be 100%

However, that is not considered BC. But you would know for absolute certain that you would never be pg again.

I'm going to assume you meant to say "a woman having her uterus and/or ovaries removed would be 100%.

Yes, that is true. But....if you don't have sex.....you have zero chance of getting pregnant. Therefore only abstinence (as a form of bc) is 100%.

:iagree:

My dad, an OB/GYN, used to say that the pill was 100% effective for those for whom it worked, and 0% effective for those for whom it didn't.

:lol: Your dad must see stats the same way I do.

I have bc pill baby, and then I struggled with infertility for several years. Odd.

I'm going to assume you meant to say "a woman having her uterus and/or ovaries removed would be 100%.

Yes, that is true. But....if you don't have sex.....you have zero chance of getting pregnant. Therefore only abstinence (as a form of bc) is 100%.

Although you also have "technical virgins" who think that because there hasn't been penetration, that pregnancy is impossible. (It's sure highly unlikely, but I knew from a very early age all about birth control and exactly how pregnancy could occur. Sperm can be tricky!)

For me, the whole "abstinence only" approach when coupled with ignorance about what sexuality entails is why I think there are more kids having oral sex because "it isn't sex since it isn't intercourse". (I'm not suggesting that's what people here are doing, so this isn't meant as a slam in any way.) So there's the whole question about how "sex" is defined.

And for anyone interested, Consumer Reports reviewed condoms recently. (Before my husband & I started having sex, we checked condoms in CR to see what was the best brand to be using along with different spermicides (and be sure to follow directions - each can have different recommendations about when to use). Yup, I was absolutely paranoid about preventing pregnancy.)

The only 2 birth control failures I know of when someone had been using it correctly was a science teacher at my school, and a friend of a friend. The science teacher had a vasectomy and years later he had a surprise baby with his wife (apparently infections can sometimes cause the tube to heal itself). In the case of my friend's friend, she was on one of those injections and became pregnant on that.

Related to your earlier points, I've often wondered why God designed a decade in between when it's best to have a baby (before 43) and menopause. What is up with that? I expect Him to be better at math. :lol:

:lol: One of my aunts had finished menopause at 30. How jealous am I! Apparently vegans reach menarche later and menopause earlier. Here's hoping :D

Rosie

That has always cracked me up. I was the poster child for the pill. I was on it, it worked like a charm. I stopped it, and the next month I was pregnant. Guess he was right.

As to V-failures: the "modern method" is snip, clamp, singe according to everyone I've talked to - so I don't understand how anyone could have that "grow back" - especially when the tiny clamps are left in place.

a

(who didn't read the whole thread)

My sister was like this-stopped her birth control one month, S was concieved the very next month.

This is how my tubal was done, and that was 6yrs ago.

:lol: One of my aunts had finished menopause at 30. How jealous am I! Apparently vegans reach menarche later and menopause earlier. Here's hoping :D

Rosie

Not a vegan, far from it actually. The way I am going I will be done with menopause by the time I am 35-I am 30 now.

The Depo shot is most effective on women of average weight and height. Under or over average reduces efficacy.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I am only 5'1" and weighed 95 lbs when I got married, so that makes sense. Probably not something they had come to realize in 1995. FTR, my shots were scheduled 10 weeks apart, I was 7 weeks pregnant when I went in for me next shot.

I agree, and I think the many women who have admitted there may have been misuse, whether through ignorance or whatever else, on their part, bears this out. Condoms need to be stored and used properly, birth control pills need to be taken consistently and never with certain meds, vasectomies (apparently!) need to be checked, spermicides are never to be used alone... there appears to be a lot of room for error.

Hmmm. Well, maybe I should read the other thread, because it sounded to me like people in the other thread were actually saying their bc failed, not that they failed to use it properly. There's a huge difference. I've seen lots of people in this thread say they failed to use it properly. My assumption was that in that thread people were saying the bc failed, since that's what I gathered from the OP of this thread. Perhaps I should have read it first.

However, if someone tells me their birth control failed, rather than that they failed to use it properly, I'm going to take them at their word. I assume most adult women know the difference.

My pregnancies (including those that miscarried) were all from broken condoms, no b/c, or the "rythmn method" :lol: which really was a joke for me with my irregular cycle and unconscious desire to have babies! :lol:

I haven't read the whole thread but it does seem that a strangely high number of women get pregnant on the pill, but I always thought the figure was something like 98% safety for the full pill (rather than mini pill) and that still leaves, statistically, quite a few babies conceived over the whole population.

I have prayed for my dh's vas deferens to grow back together. I want it to. Lol. But no such luck so far.

It's lucky that mother nature/ God is so incredibly fertile though, and ingenious at making babies even under the most unlikely of circumstances.....because overall the human infertility rate seems to be skyrocketing.

My first baby, a miscarriage, was conceived on the pill. Orthonovum, I believe was the name of it but it has been 21 years so I can't remember for sure. I was using it properly, had not missed any pills, and had been on it for over six months.

I had terrible side effects, migraines, cycles that instead of being regulated were actually all over the map, heavier than my natural cycles, etc. Apparently, my body hated the pill. I did not understand it, how it worked, etc. or I probably never would have been on it to begin with and once I had that miscarriage, never took it again.

Pregnancy number 4 (live baby number 3) was because of a C**dom that Dh discovered was leaking or should I say the second one in a pack that was found to have been leaking so they must have been manufacturer's lemons!

Nephew number 2 on dh's side was after a V that had grown back together unbeknownst to bil. Apparently, some of the men in his Sunday School class new he'd had the procedure a few years before and started rumors that sil had an affair because that's the only way she could have been pregnant. The rumor mongering was so bad they had to leave their church. She was so afraid that bil would eventually begin to believe one of these men that she demanded paternity testing to prove her innocence though her hubby didn't ask for that. Apparently, her own mother was talking behind her back. Sigh.....that's why I don't think that anybody should make any judgement calls about whether or not anyone else is using birth control correctly, or whether or not it's effective or for whom it is effective. One does not actually know until it happens to you.

I still wish I had been able to have more children.

Faith

For me, the whole "abstinence only" approach when coupled with ignorance about what sexuality entails is why I think there are more kids having oral sex because "it isn't sex since it isn't intercourse". (I'm not suggesting that's what people here are doing, so this isn't meant as a slam in any way.) So there's the whole question about how "sex" is defined.

It's not ignorance, or only ignorance. This is what has been promoted as an alternative. I remember seeing a brochure at Student Health Services on campus in the mid-90s that described "other things you could do besides have intercourse" - some of which have now been proven to cause cancer. So much for safer sex.

Joanne,

Have you read the book, Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation by Elissa Stein and Susan Kim?? Excellent, entertaining read. Among other things, it talks about the pill, and about how scientists STILL don't really understand the long term effects and ramifications on women. If I remember correctly (it was a library book), they discuss the fact that they do know our bodies adjust to the hormones over time, which would account for breakthrough bleeding and accidental pregnancy. I wish I had a copy that I could reference because it said so much more than that, but I don't want to misquote it. It is a must read for every woman.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Oh me! I'll take it!

I totally bow to you super power mamas and will be collecting all unwanted fertility at the end of the thread! :D

ETA: I hope now ones takes me wrong here. This is all said lite-hearted, kwim?

I have very good *luck* praying for infertile couples. I'll put you on my list.

I got pregnant on Depo-Provera, no user failure possible. My mom got pregnant with an IUD, twice (her third and forth). I was married, she was married, no need for shame.

Eta: I have not gotten pregnant by accident since then and my eldest is 14. That is a lot of years of it working just fine.

Now see the Depo shot worked AWESOME for me. The hormones made me such a flaming B&%$# my Dh didn't come near me with a 10 foot pole. Unfortunately, there's no where to park the broom in the house so it was a one time only thing. Serioulsy, I felt the back cloud of Destruction come over me within 20 minutes of getting it and I knew I had done a bad, bad thing. If fire could have flown from my fingertips...

Oh I so did not want to hear that! I just got a copper IUD in June.

FTR I LOVED my IUD with a passion until I got pregnant. I don't know what it was about that thing, but I had the most stupendous o-- you know? Can I say that here? I mean, Out of This World. I was crying cause I got pregnant and crying cause it had to come out. :glare:

It's not ignorance, or only ignorance. This is what has been promoted as an alternative. I remember seeing a brochure at Student Health Services on campus in the mid-90s that described "other things you could do besides have intercourse" - some of which have now been proven to cause cancer. So much for safer sex.

Just out of curiosity, which sexual methods have been proven to cause cancer? There are STD's that can cause cancer, but to my knowledge, there are no sexual positions or methods that cause cancer.

Joanne,

Have you read the book, Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation by Elissa Stein and Susan Kim?? Excellent, entertaining read. Among other things, it talks about the pill, and about how scientists STILL don't really understand the long term effects and ramifications on women. If I remember correctly (it was a library book), they discuss the fact that they do know our bodies adjust to the hormones over time, which would account for breakthrough bleeding and accidental pregnancy. I wish I had a copy that I could reference because it said so much more than that, but I don't want to misquote it. It is a must read for every woman.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Ahhh, now maybe that would explain why the pill worked so well for me for 6.5 years, then apparently stopped working, resulting in DD1. In the end, it was a good thing, because we love her soooo much that we decided to have another. We two who had previously said we wanted NONE! :D

My first pregnancy was an "oops" but no BC, because I had calculated my dates wrong.

My 2nd was planned.

My 3rd was a copper IUD. The Dr was very surprised and said that usually IUD pregnancies are because it has 1/ come out and the woman hasn't noticed or 2/ moved in the uterus to a less efficient place and 3/ within the first year. Mine was in the 3rd year and perfectly positioned. The Dr told me I could no longer rely on it, and after she was born I had a Mirena put in for the extra level of protection.

It would be interesting to do a poll.

We are at 5 years post-vasectomy, and I am not telling my husband it might grow back in 5 more years. He would be making an appt tomorrow for another one, lol.

:lol:We are 4 years post-vasectomy and I think my dh would do the same thing. Although, he has been moping around because his girls are "getting to big."