Menu

Whatcha reading?

I finished A Wind in the Door last week so I started A Swiftly Tilting Planet today. I am also reading Lincoln: A Photobiography and The Middle Moffat. I am also working my way through the 4th McGuffey reader.

My daughter and I are reading The Secrets of Vesuvius (A Roman Mystery) together as well as Science Matters.

I used to only read one book at a time or maybe two at the most, but I am really enjoying switching around and reading various kinds of books.

For my Bible study I am alternating between reading Proverbs and Acts.

So, what are YOU reading right now (or at the current time). :001_smile:

I am reading In the House of Memory: Ancient Celtic Wisdom for Everyday Life. We are on the 3rd book in the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams as our just for fun read-a-loud. We are also reading The Kite Fighters as a read-a-loud for history. My ds is reading a series he got from the library and dd is reading an Illustrated Classic (she finished 3 Musketeers and is reading a new one now, but I am not sure which one).

I'm reading Israel, My Beloved by Kay Arthur, as well as Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson, and the book of John in my Bible.

My dd12 is reading: Black Ships Before Troy

ds11 is reading: Gentle Ben and American Tall Tales

dd9 is reading Aesops Fables and Kaya, American Girl

ds6 is reading Frog and Toad Together and Stepping Stones

ds4 demands a Little Jewel Book everyday.

:001_smile:

I'm reading Gone With The Wind. I had no idea it had so much historical reference. I'm really enjoying it.

:rant: Scarlett

:coolgleamA: Rhett

:blush: Melly

:bored:Ashley

:toetap05: Mammy

:svengo: Aunt Pitty

Jeanne - I was amazed the first time I read the book, too! It is soooo different from the movie. My grandma loved the book too. My mom's name is Bonnie Blue. :lol:

I'm currently reading a book called "Lamb" and it's a fictional account of the adventures of Jesus and his best friend Biff from age six and up. Here's a link to the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-4772005-6320169?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Lamb&x=0&y=0

I think it's kind of funny. Historically, it's accurate. I've also read Anne Rice's

"Christ the Lord" http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Lord-Out-Egypt-Novel/dp/0345492730/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207809128&sr=1-2 I like that both authors took up the "missing early years."

Not books for everyone, but I'm really getting a kick out of Lamb - and I really enjoyed the Anne Rice book as well.

Jane Austen's Emma - I love all her books but this one. Everytime I've tried to read it I've made it about halfway through. I am determined to finish it this time!

Also have Sound and Sense and Captivating sitting in my book pile.

I am in the middle of Emma (have been for a few months)

Trying to hurry up and finish the new JD Robb book Strangers in Death since it has to be back at the library tomorrow

Glancing through The Sneaky Chef

Just finished Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and loved it! I have Financial Peace Revisited on hold at the library.

I think that is all now

Somehow I'm in the middle of four books:

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (not my definition of easy)

Murder on the Appian Way by ?

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

I just finished Cannery Row (my first Steinbeck) which was a fun and easy read.

Oh, and reading Summer of the Monkeys to the kids.

The Pillars of the Earth. Interesting from an historical standpoint, but not as well-written as I had hoped for. I guess Follet couldn't lose the "spy thriller" style.

The Canon. Amazing. Really. Written by a science writer, the author tries to distill an enormous wealth of information on science as it applies to issues today. If you are Young Earth, you will want to skip the chapter on evolution, but there is so much more here.

Magic By the Lake (our current readaloud). Love Edward Eager books, working through them. Next - the Nesbit books. Why didn't I know about these lovely books when I was a kid?

Linders

DS 7-1/2 and almost 5

I've got my hand in too many books right now.

I started The Three Musketeers and that one is hold for now. I jumped to Robinson Crusoe for now. I'm working on writing a book and my main character reads both of these books. I'm reading them in the manner my MC would.

For school we are reading The Great Brain.

There are various other books with bookmarks stuck somewhere in the middle but those three are my focus for now.

I am reading The Case for the Creator by Lee Strobel. A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Demille and Courting Trouble by Deanne Gist.

One for the kids (The Case for Christ - prereading for suitablity for daughter). One to benefit the kids (Jefferson) and one for me (Trouble). This one is a mind relaxing book. No thoughts needed....

Mommieeeee

I'm reading Too Long In The Sun - it's about the influence of ancient pagan sun worship on the modern Christian church. I'm also reading The Life and Times of Archbishop James Ussher and God King. I'm currently reading Poppy to my children. And, we will start The Golden Goblet later today.

The History of the Ancient World by SWB (I feel like such a goody-two-shoes for posting that here on "her" board, :tongue_smilie:)

The Joy of Living by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

And listening to an audio course from Teaching Company, A History of Freedom by J. Rufus Fears

My hold on Thomas Jefferson Education just came into the library, and I need to go pick it up.

Oh, and I'm supposed to be reading Velvet Elvis for Sunday School, but, well, oops. Somehow I keep forgetting to read it.

I read The Midwife's Apprentice last night ( previewing for dd--going to save it)

and we started Farmer Boy for the umpteenth time this evening.

I have a devotional containing snippets of Bonhoffer that I've set aside--think I'll pull it out again. Going to read Red Scarf Girl (about the Chinese cultural revolution) to preview for ds.

Alright, Michelle T, I'll fess up to reading The Serpent's Tale right now. I love historical mysteries, they're like mental chocolate!

I just finished Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin. This is a great book if you're into paleontology. I learned a lot and had fun, too.

I'm listening to The Yiddish Policemen's Union. (:cheers2: Jenny in Atl).

Jeanne - I was amazed the first time I read the book, too! It is soooo different from the movie. My grandma loved the book too. My mom's name is Bonnie Blue. :lol:

I have seen bits and pieces of the movie, but never watched it. From what I saw, though, I never was interested in reading the book, until a librarian friend of mine said it was her favorite book and she's not a fluff reader. :)

I might like to see the movie now-even if it is very different. But then maybe I'd be disappointed too.

How funny your mom's name is Bonnie! Rhett's darling little girl. I was very disappointed with Rhett and Scarlet for not sharing their true feelings with each other. I can see why considering how hurtful they could be to each other, but I just kept thinking, "c'mon! Be honest with how you feel!" Oh well.

Jeanne - I was amazed the first time I read the book, too! It is soooo different from the movie.

I have discovered that this has always been the case with American made movies no matter how far back in time you go. They disect characters and then combine personalities. They also reorganize plots and mix the ideas in the book. I much more prefer Australian or BBC movies that go along the lines of the book. I'd rather watch the book played out and view how directors see the characters than have to reconfigure how the book works into the movie.

I began to see how when I read The Sound of Music. Quiet a different story in the book. There is no Max in the book. He is a combination of few characters in the book. The baroness dumped the captain, so he decided Maria could work out instead. No big romance there. There was no dramatic escape over the Alps. They drove out the day before the borders were closed. (Some of my review could be off, it's been years since I read it, but that is what I remember observing.) I loved the book and I do still love the movie, though.

Finished "Presenting Miss Jane Austen" last night. I am now on to "The Sorceress of Darshiva" by David Eddings...it's not on my 8/8/8 list but I'm sick and need to "revisit" an old friend that doesn't require much thinking.

I'm reading "Peter and the Star Catchers" out loud to dd7.

I'm also reading through John R. Rice's "Prayer...Asking and Receiving."

Dd13 is listening to "Eldest" and beginning whatever Shannon Hale book is next on her list. She is also making her way through "Helen Keller: The Story of my Life" for Lightning Lit.

We are reading aloud The Wizard of Oz and loving it, about half-way through. I am reading The Good Earth for my book group and just finished Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner. Oldest DD wants to read The Swiss Family Robinson next for our read aloud.

Ok, I know this is not what you wanted but as soon as I read your title I thought The Well Train Mind Boards :D Hehehe...... Yep expanding my intellect on the general board right now :lol: Sorry I have had way too much allergy meds today.

OK so besides Sentence Composing for.... and along with the matching grammar book both of which I just got my hot little chubby hands on ;) Showdown by Ted Dekker cause my 16yold wants to discuss it with me. Can ya imagine the same kid who could not speak at 4 or read at 10 wants to discuss Showdown with his mom. I loath books like Showdown but I am more than happy, nay elated to plow through it for my ds. Although he got through it in 3 days and I am still plowing along after a week :rolleyes:

Guest Virginia Dawn

My 14yo ds and I are reading America's Secret Establishment, for entertainment. ;)

14yo is also reading God's Smuggler (assigned) and Inside the Navy Seals (free) :001_huh:

9yo ds is reading The Return of the King (free) :auto:

I am also reading All Sail Set aloud to the 9yo. :bigear: