Menu

If you exercise . . . (Poll)

If you exercise purposefully, what is your attitude toward your exercise time? Poll to follow.

As in do I adhere to a strict time? I just go through a routine, that takes me just under an hour. I usually pop some fun movie in the DVD player or listen to music to distract myself from the task at hand. :001_smile:

Love is such a strong word. I picked the love option, though, because I don't hate it, and it's way better than a lot of the other things on my to do list.

And it really depends on what I'm doing.

I love Judo, and really enjoy a good Judo workout.

I like running (especially since I have Netflix now, though I'm curious what it says about me that I really like to watch Cake Boss while I'm on the treadmill). I like a fresh, well-done exercise video now and then, too.

Strength training is not my favorite, but I'm forcing myself to do this 2X a week.

Currently I strength train 2X a week, run 3X a week, and either run or do a video the other 2 days. Judo is 2X a week, but still do a regular workout those mornings.

I run 3 times a week and practice yoga for 3 days. I enjoy both. I enjoy running a bit more than yoga. It has taken me a long time to be able to run for 3 miles, and I run those miles slowly, but I have so enjoyed it. To someone who struggles to exercise it can be hard to explain, but now I need to get my runs in. Of course it's hard to get out of bed early, but I crave that time.

I started out by not doing exercise early in the day. I got my kids' morning work done, where they go do the rest themselves, and then I would run or go to my room and do yoga. Once the habit was there I had less trouble getting up in the morning.

I've been happy with my progress both with running and yoga. My only problem with running is the injuries. Because I have always been weak, and I was older when I started running, I have been dealing with Achilles issues on and off. I started yoga because of my injuries, and I've come to love yoga too.

Starting is the hardest part. I think it's important to find something you can enjoy. I think if I didn't enjoy yoga so much I would get interested in kettle ball. I think it looks like a fun way to do weights.

It's also important to stick with it, not for just a month or even 4 months. I've been running for 2 years, and practicing yoga for a year and a half. I didn't start seeing results from running (as far as weight or general fitness) for almost a year. And yoga also took time to see some results. I had to learn how to do the postures correctly before I could just enjoy them for themselves. I can now feel that I am a little stronger and a little more flexible. Yoga has given me even more confidence in my running. Overall I feel better about myself. It is a small area of my life where I feel like I'm doing something positive for myself.

I put other. Most of the time I love it, as long as I have a buddy. I'm without buddy right now so I haven't been even though I tell myself I will every single day.

Usually I walk a few miles a day or go to the gym. I used to do zumba 3x a week which I absolutely loved but my favorite instructor moved. I don't like the instructor they have now and I hate it.

Basically I love exercise as long as I've got someone else there to talk to me and keep it fun.

I'm not sure I can say I love it as much as I love how it makes me feel. Exercise is a way to not only workout my body, but my mind. Something as simple as a strenuous 30 minute walk has benefits I can feel for hours. All I know is I don't like how I feel, in my body, when I don't get some sort of daily workout.

I love playing tennis so I go to the courts in a happy stupor.

I love riding my bike and find myself looking for chances to ride.

I recently started walking the dog in the AM before work and I find that I enjoy that as well.

I would liek to start strength training but I am weak and I hate having to work out in fornt of all the people who can lift 3-4X what I do.

I like to swim but I never learned how to breathe so I spend more time trying not to drown than I do actual swimming.

My exercise time is the most days of the week walk to the grocer or supermarket. I'm so fond of eating meals that I don't mind the walk at all! Though I suppose I am being more purposeful about food acquisition than exercise, aren't I?

:)

Rosie

I love lifting weights. I love Zumba. I love Pilates. I deeply enjoy the focus required and the way I feel during and after.

I love walking/running outside. I enjoy how it clears my mind.

I despise cardio machines (i.e. treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stairclimbers, step mills, and all their ilk). I feel like a hamster in a wheel and avoid them at all costs. My only goal, once I step on, is to do my time and get off of that %#& machine.

I hate it because it hurts. Both while I exercise, and often much worse afterward.

I have inflammation in my SI joints, so I have a lot of pain in my lower back, hips and thighs.

Most of the movements in excercise videos are out of the question, as is running or jogging. Walking for more than 15 minutes is ridiculously painful.

Riding my bike is my best bet, but even that has been bothering my hips lately.

I hate it because it hurts. Both while I exercise, and often much worse afterward.

I have inflammation in my SI joints, so I have a lot of pain in my lower back, hips and thighs.

Most of the movements in excercise videos are out of the question, as is running or jogging. Walking for more than 15 minutes is ridiculously painful.

Riding my bike is my best bet, but even that has been bothering my hips lately.

Have you looked into any low-level core/stability training? Something that would focus on trunk/core stabilizing muscles? Also, sometimes exercising in the water (not swimming, but water aerobics-type things) works well for those with inflamed SI joints, low back pain, and the like.

I don't know how to vote! LOL~

WHEN I'm doing it and AFTER I do it, I LOVE IT!

BEFORE I'm going to do it...especially if I've missed a couple of days...I dread it. LOL!

This is SO me. I do the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Micheals...it is HARD, but really fun, once you know the moves.

Which reminds me, better go now...

Have you looked into any low-level core/stability training? Something that would focus on trunk/core stabilizing muscles?

I haven't. In fact, I'm not quite sure what 'core stability training' would look like. Sit-ups/crunches and such?

I run in intervals when my back is not bothering me. I nordic track, do jillian michaels metabolism and no more trouble zone, biggest loser bootcamp, sometimes I just go to the videos offer on line and do some of those. I like to get my exercise int he morning so that it is done for the day. On weekends I wait until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I haven't. In fact, I'm not quite sure what 'core stability training' would look like. Sit-ups/crunches and such?

While most people think sit-ups/crunches immediately, I would avoid sit-ups and crunches as a beginner, especially given your condition. Rather, start with lower level exercises. Read this article for a simple explanation: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

Toward the end are a list of exercises with links to pictures/descriptions. You could start out with

Plank Exercise: Start Position | Finish Position

The Basic Push Up --position only

Back Bridge

Supermans

You could also look into some of the stabilization programs that utilize exercise balls.

Avoid anything that involves twisting and limit the amount of motion to within your comfort range. Focus on keeping your bellybutton pulled up and in (think under your ribcage) and keeping your hips/pelvis even and stable.

While most people think sit-ups/crunches immediately, I would avoid sit-ups and crunches as a beginner, especially given your condition. Rather, start with lower level exercises. Read this article for a simple explanation: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

Toward the end are a list of exercises with links to pictures/descriptions. You could start out with

Plank Exercise: Start Position | Finish Position

The Basic Push Up --position only

Back Bridge

Supermans

You could also look into some of the stabilization programs that utilize exercise balls.

Avoid anything that involves twisting and limit the amount of motion to within your comfort range. Focus on keeping your bellybutton pulled up and in (think under your ribcage) and keeping your hips/pelvis even and stable.

Wow, Michelle! This is awesome. Thank you!

Since having children, I have grown to love exercise. Its something positive that I can do for myself, usually by myself. Even if I'm not chomping at the bit each & every day, I'm happily drawn to exercise because I know the more I exercise, the better I feel. Its like a drug in that I keep coming back- helps me clear my head, de-stress, feel capable/strong and accomplished. I run 3-4x a week, and do strength training, pilates on other days.

My exercise routine is a hard-core boot camp style 15 minute workout.

I change it up every so often to target different areas. It allows me to get it done and over with in a short period of time and still see some great results.

Before, when I was using treadmills and eliptical machines I hated it with a passion....

~Charlene~

I voted that I "love" exercise, and I REALLY REALLY do! I've been working out on a regular basis since 2002 and it is something that I truely enjoy and miss it when I'm sick or too heavily pregnant to do it (although I was at Curves the day before my second was born! My third pregnancy was harder and I had to stop working out the last month. That was *hard*!)

Why do I love it?

I love seeing the changes in my body. I've been doing Jillian Micheal's workouts, and I now have killer thighs from all those lunges! Tae Bo helped get my sagging back-end back into the air. Yoga has helped increase my flexibility and balance. Strength training has given me killer arms and shoulders and more defined back muscles.

I enjoy the challenge and the sense accomplishment that doing something hard (like exercise) brings is something that carries me through my entire day.

Have you looked into any low-level core/stability training? Something that would focus on trunk/core stabilizing muscles? Also, sometimes exercising in the water (not swimming, but water aerobics-type things) works well for those with inflamed SI joints, low back pain, and the like.

:iagree: My mother couldn't walk up the driveway without hurting her back when I was a kid. Now she's walking laps in the pool and doing really well.

Core strengthening exercises would be things like Pilates. There are such things as remedial classes for those with existing issues who shouldn't just jump in and do it without learning to do it safely.

Rosie

I don't exactly hate it, nor do I jump up and down when I do it. I love how it change my body's shape, and how my clothes fits nicer, and how better I look with any clothes or anything, and how fantastic I feel afterwards. I have been doing the Jillian Michaels's NMTZ and BFBM for only over a mnth, and it changed my body fast. Because of the obvious changes, I don't want to give up exercising now. What it boils down to is I'm vain. I want to look nice for me and feel good for me. Plus, I think it sets a good example for my kids (especially my girls), and dh is not complaining. Banana Republic and J Crew here I come again!!

I know I must sound like I'm pushing T-tapp, but after reading some of the other posts I wanted to say that T-tapp is a physical therapy approach to fitness and focuses on strengthening the core by fatiguing large *go to* muscles first. You don't need weights because your *body* is the resistance. It is very rehabilitative. Teresa Tapp designed it for this purpose. I have more range of motion now than I have in years due to a bad back and knees.

Okay...that's all I will say.

And...the only workout that *works* is the one you *do*. :)

I voted other.

I'm in week 4 of Couch to 5K and I hate it. But I know it's good for me and I hope maybe I will eventually not hate it.

I have mixed feelings feelings about my weekly Pilates mat class. It's not as unpleasant as running, but I have very week core muscles and I'm new to Pilates and it's hard work.

I love, love, love my weekly Pilates reformer class. I look forward to it all week. It has pretty much cured my back pain.

But, I think if I had more time to do it I would be happier. I really try and squeeze in 20-40 minutes 4 or more times a week. I mainly do Jeniffer Kries' Pilates, Donna Richardson's 3 Day Rotation (these two I have had for about 10 years) and I've tried Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. The Shred got me strong in a months time, but I did not lose all the weight it claims to shred. I'm not over weight but I wish I was about 15 pounds lighter. I exercise mainly for health reason because I am hypothyroid and feel I function sooo much better when I exercise regularly. This is probably more than you people needed to know. lol

Michelle

I picked love. I don't love it every single time but mostly love. I exercise a lot. I like 2-3 hours at a go. If I am going to get hot, sweaty, nasty, smelly, I want to make it worth my while.

Running

Cardio

Jiu-Jitsu

kickboxing

Tae Kwon Do

weight training..

If I had the money and if it was available, I would add latin or belly dancing.

I voted "love it" because while that's not always true, it's true more often than the others. I love how I feel during and after a workout. I love that it's a quiet(er) time when I can stop thinking and just do something hard and physical. I love feeling strong.

I've always been fairly athletic, but I didn't get hooked on regular exercise till after I had my twins. I think they forced me to become efficient. :)

I chose love, but that is perhaps a bit strong. I do really enjoy it.

I take Zumba at my gym. It is a very fun 45 minutes of latin dance, and I work my tail off. I usually burn around 500 calories during that 3/4 of an hour. It's nice to have the complicated steps to focus on rather than just how tired I am. I look like a dork, but that's just fine.

I have just started adding some pilates and yoga into my week, and I like those, too. I like gaining more control and balance over my body.

So I enjoy it and it is a priority in my week for both the physical and mental benefits.

But I do love how I feel when I'm finished. I really enjoy strength training, but get bored doing cardio machines. I do them anyway, 'cause it's worth it. But I also try to do fun things like hiking, canoeing, and biking. I could do those kinds of things all day (or until my body gives out :D) and truly LOVE it.

:iagree: My mother couldn't walk up the driveway without hurting her back when I was a kid. Now she's walking laps in the pool and doing really well.

Core strengthening exercises would be things like Pilates. There are such things as remedial classes for those with existing issues who shouldn't just jump in and do it without learning to do it safely.

Rosie

Thank you for this, Rosie.

I looked up Pilates, and there is a studio in my city that has gentle classes for beginners or people with pain issues. I think I will give them a call tomorrow.