Menu

Has your Walmart lost its mind?

Went to Walmart last night for groceries...first time I've been in for awhile, and I knew they were renovated since last visit.

Many brands we like are gone now, and the shelves are sorted in a way I can't figure out at all. It's not just that groups of items are moved...they're mixed together as well. I had ONE aisle that had shampoo, candy (but only 'single' serve or 'fun pak'), tomato sauce, canned beans (but not bags of beans, like I was looking for), and paper goods! Wow, it took me awhile to get done!

They also eliminated their arts&crafts section, which bummed me out, since DW needed some items for giftbaskets she's making...has anyone else seen this?

I'm now an even bigger fan of Aldi's...

We have a SuperWalMart that I avoid like the plague. I can't STAND that store! I can never find anything in it. And it takes, like, 20 minutes to walk from one side of the store to the other, which I end up doing multiple times to find what I need.

The regular WalMart in town isn't so bad. It still has a craft section, although they got rid of all their cross stitch. :glare: I have heard rumors of the craft section shrinking, too.

Yes, my Wal-Mart lost it's mind a while back so we no longer go except when threatened by angry preschoolers demanding one particular brand of animal crackers only available at Wally World. Thankfully, that's not often since I will buy in bulk to save my sanity from that store. Their current big push is supplying and selling their house brand items to the extent of cutting out competing brands. For instance, they requested bids from Glad and Hefty to make their "Great Value" trash bags with the stipulation that if the company didn't make the bags, their products didn't get put in the stores.

They have also rearranged many stores to group more of the complementing departments closer together. In our store, the arts and crafts are now in the middle, next to the home furnishing department. As Ishki mentioned, they also have "special buys" and "super buys" aisles for every department where everything on sale is lumped together or even stacked in the middle of the main aisle.

They rearranged ours (the one closest to me) about 6 months ago...I hate the way they did the layout - I don't see the logic behind the new arrangement. I still see people wandering around looking lost or making comments about how much they HATE it, LOL. :lol:

What makes it even more difficult is that I shop at another WalMart that has the original layout. So now I have to mentally adjust my head depending on which one I go to. Today I am off to the "old" layout one. I would so totally shop there all the time, but that one doesn't carry my favorite brand of coffee...so I go the "crazy" layout one about once a month and buy a LOT of it!

Barry, you found one of the two or three aisles throughout the store where they place a bunch of sale items.

The Walmarts where I live now are pretty normal. But the Walmarts where I used to live (Baltimore suburbs) were horrible. There was one in a town called Catonsville and they used to call it the Satansville Walmart. You risked life and limb going to the Satansville Walmart.

Many brands we like are gone now, and the shelves are sorted in a way I can't figure out at all. It's not just that groups of items are moved...they're mixed together as well. I had ONE aisle that had shampoo, candy (but only 'single' serve or 'fun pak'), tomato sauce, canned beans (but not bags of beans, like I was looking for), and paper goods! Wow, it took me awhile to get done!

The Super Walmart closest to me (we have 2 in town) just got finished with a remodel a few months ago. They rearranged everything and got rid of many brands and products that I would shop there for. I really do not like the new layout and much prefer the Walmart on the other side of town (newer store, so started out with a different layout), but can't justify the added 20 miles round trip unless I'm already in the area.

Went to Walmart last night for groceries...first time I've been in for awhile, and I knew they were renovated since last visit.

They also eliminated their arts&crafts section, which bummed me out, since DW needed some items for giftbaskets she's making...has anyone else seen this?

Mine is currently being remodeled.

They moved the ice cream cones and toppings to the breakfast aisle (it's not just a temporary placement--this section of the store is completed). I guess it's for all the people who do eat ice cream for breakfast. Of course, I discovered this the morning I ran errands at 6am, was grumpy, and had to buy sugar cones so I could decorate them as trees for my middle son's camping themed birthday cake. 20 minutes of my life gone because some brilliant marketer thought kids should be encouraged to eat ice cream for breakfast.

But I'm not bitter.

They are all laid out differently and carry different stock. They were all renovated about 2 years ago. At that time the arts and crafts section was way downsized. One store still has fabric but the others only have a small amount of yarn and sewing supplies. Over the past year they have put in scrapbooking stuff on their party aisle (doesn't make sense to me) When they first renovated the began to emphasize their electronics, now I'm noticing more furniture. The grocery aisles have always confused me and in many cases are either empty of items or very little choices. I rarely buy groceries from Wal-mart any more for that reason and as a PP said, the prices are no longer the cheapest.

I don't shop at Walmart regularly (too far), but I'm ultra-sensitive to all store layouts. Even seasonal changes at Target (which I'm well aware of as being "normal") make me twitch.

I used to work with planograms a lot. Strange/new product placement rubs me the wrong way, lol.

Ours dropped their arts and crafts. Well, they do have an aisle of grossly expensive "kits," but no more materials, no more sewing :(

And they did redo everything so it makes no sense at all. We just quit going. All three of the Walmarts within driving distance have done this.

The idea behind shuffling things around and making people wander is to get them back into the cramming their cart full of useless things they didn't need anyway. If you get lost in Walmart long enough you become hungry and bored and everything starts to look better.

Not only did they rearrange everything, but the prices have gone up so much that they are no longer the cheapest store around!

:iagree: I think their new plan to boost sales is to make the shoppers so befuddled that they stay long enough to have to buy a couple of meals and a change of clothing.

I think I am also missing some of my preferred brands that used to be sold at my local WM that were there before the grand re-do this spring. It is now a true mess. The term renovation connotes an improvement, but I think it was a major mistake. They have definitely lost a portion of my business.

But some items are getting pricier at Aldi, too...

Ours did this, too. They used to have a great fabric section, and a ton of craft supplies. They're all gone.

We buy more and more at Aldi as well. Most of the time we save money that way!

GardenMom

Our HEB Plus just remodeled the new store and they made the bathrooms into unis*x restrooms. Not sure how this is going to work because people are not happy about it. Really don't understand why they remodeled a new store.

Same here on our walmart, reason I have cut my grocery store shopping down to once a month. I just don't need the frustration:lol:, and have found ways to make due with what we have till the next month. :iagree:

On another note they have added more cultural food for our area that I have no idea how to use or understand the packaging. No offense to the cultural cookers on the forum.

Edited by cindyinTexas

Ours remodeled and I dislike it. They widened all the aisles (meaning they eliminated many products.) It used to be one-stop shopping. I still go for groceries (much closer to our home than anywhere else and the prices per item are about $1 lower per item than anywhere around) but they've lost most of my "everything else" buying. They eliminated fabrics and drastically reduced crafts and reduced office supplies. They stopped carrying the kind of bras that I liked Instead, they appear to be imitating Target and going for a higher level market in household linens, housewares, etc. I spend less than I used to.

I hate Wal-Mart, I try to avoid it. It's probably been 6 months since I've been there. I have to go this week for one thing and I'm dreading it.

On another note they have added more cultural food for our area that I have no idea how to use or understand the packaging. No offense to the cultural cookers on the forum.

Like what? (Just curious!)

I hate Wal-Mart, I try to avoid it. It's probably been 6 months since I've been there. I have to go this week for one thing and I'm dreading it.

Like what? (Just curious!)

I am not exactly sure, but there is one whole row in our Walmart. As far as I can tell the products come from Mexico. I am in South Texas and about 5 hours from the border. Lived here all my life, and have never seen these products before.

:iagree: I avoid it (even thought it is about a mile from my home) unless absolutely necessary!!! I was thinking of trying Aldi's --Thanks! :001_smile:

The Super Walmart closest to me (we have 2 in town) just got finished with a remodel a few months ago. They rearranged everything and got rid of many brands and products that I would shop there for. I really do not like the new layout and much prefer the Walmart on the other side of town .

Ditto, but in my case it's the older Walmart that had an earlier remodel where I prefer to shop. This newest one is incredibly inconvenient because they've deliberately moved all the things I would normally run in quick for into the back of the store. Plus they've put the pharmacy and health and beauty aids section smack dab in a high traffic area so there's no privacy whatsoever.

I quit going for the most part and when I really did need something recently I compared prices for our usual stuff and found that they were only cheaper on peanut butter. Now I don't feel guilty about no longer shopping there! :001_smile:

The regular WalMart in town isn't so bad. It still has a craft section, although they got rid of all their cross stitch. :glare: I have heard rumors of the craft section shrinking, too.

Ugh! Yes, I just found that out last week when DD and I went to buy a crosstitch kit. We were so disappointed. The only craft store close to us is a 1/2 hour away. :glare:

This is the way our Walmart has always been. And you a salesperson where something is and they usually point vaguely somewhere and say something helpful like " it may be over in that direction' I thought all Walmarts were like this. But while traveling we found other Walmarts that were organized, well labeled and the salepeople were very helpful.

Our WM has a smaller selection now and bigger aisles too. They have told us that we will loose our craft section soon. The super-sweet ladies that work in that dept. have a guest book that has become a *save our fabric petition*.

I live just outside the Beltway in Fairfax County, VA. There are no Walmarts near here. I think the closest one to us is a half hour drive with no traffic. I have been there once and my girls went there another time. None of us are likely to go there again. We did use to shop a bit at Walmart when it was only two to three miles away when we lived on the island in Florida. But having a Walmart half an hour away with no other reason to go there is just a waste of time.

Guest ToGMom

I have 2 Super Wal-Marts within 20 minutes drive...they are BOTH going through remodel right now... :glare:

It is ridiculous...NOTHING is where it used to be...NOTHING is organized...even the employees don't know where stuff is. :001_huh:

My biggest pet peeve is that they have placed shelving down the main aisle (from front of the store to the back) with absolutely NO break in the middle...so you have to go all the way to the end to get around to the other side.

My second biggest pet peeve is that they have moved stuff within an aisle. Example: The canned soup was on the right hand side shelf and it was moved to the left hand side -- and about 1/2 way down the aisle from where it was. What was wrong with where it was??

I refuse to go back until they're done...

Ugh, yes. I went to the "old" Walmart in the next town because it's right near Aldi. They were in the midst of remodeling and it was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't figure out where anything was. This is the WM that had already gotten rid of their large fabric section.

Over the past year I have shopped less and less at WM. I, too, noticed their selection dwindling and they keep announcing Roll Backs which usually last only a couple weeks before the price is back up again. I now do most of my shopping at Kroger, which is only 5 mins away from me and Not Loud Like Walmart. And the people who work there are nice. And they put groceries on sale, unlike WM.

Cinder

Ugh, yes. I went to the "old" Walmart in the next town because it's right near Aldi. They were in the midst of remodeling and it was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't figure out where anything was. This is the WM that had already gotten rid of their large fabric section.

Over the past year I have shopped less and less at WM. I, too, noticed their selection dwindling and they keep announcing Roll Backs which usually last only a couple weeks before the price is back up again. I now do most of my shopping at Kroger, which is only 5 mins away from me and Not Loud Like Walmart. And the people who work there are nice. And they put groceries on sale, unlike WM.

Cinder

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE KROGER!!

I used to shop Wal-Mart, but since moving to where it's at least 20 minutes away it is so not worth the drive. Crowded, crazy people, totally useless employees (I know it's not like that everywhere, just here probably). Now, I do shop at Sam's Club...but I've totally lost my desire to shop WM. I go there maybe twice a year now. And dread it each time.

I have a friend who is a night manager at Walmart. He says that they have drastically reduced their selections to only the best selling brands and only the best selling sizes of those brands. They also widened the aisles to compensate for the reduced selection.

I wondered what was happening. Every time I went, I noticed huge holes in the merchandise. Seemed like half of the cereal (pasta, bread, etc.)aisle was empty each time I went. They no longer carry brands we really liked, but the shelf labels still list those items (but the shelves are empty).

I actually like the idea of wider aisles in WM. One of my complaints has been that it's too difficult to get around when there's just barely enough room for 2 carts to pass side by side. And all the merchandise in the main aisle drove me crazy!

The Walmart I go to hasn't remodeled in at least 3 years. There isn't a fabric section (but there are 2 fabric/craft stores less than 3 miles away). The prices are much cheaper than the Marsh grocery. It is a tiny bit more expensive than the Aldi's, but you never know what the Aldi's will have in stock.

The Walmart is only crowded if you go at the wrong time (5-8 pm M-F, noon-8 pm Saturday and Sunday). They have gotten rid of some brands, but I mostly buy the "Great Value" stuff because it is normally cheapest.

Barry, We just returned home from vacation and haven't made it to Super Walmart yet. Is this a Walmart of SuperWalmart? In any case, I'm going to keep my eyes open. I just returned home from our local TJ's (Trader Joe's) and they are always on the switch there. It can be frustrating b/c there is a definate new learning curve that comes with it. Sheryl <><

For your dw.....are y'all close to a Michael's? There is another large arts/crafts store I can't think of at the moment.

I have a friend who is a night manager at Walmart. He says that they have drastically reduced their selections to only the best selling brands and only the best selling sizes of those brands. They also widened the aisles to compensate for the reduced selection.

That explains a lot. Our WM remodeled this past year and it is driving us all nuts! For some items, brands are different. I can't count how many times I've gone in for something and they didn't have the item at all anymore. Then I hit the General Dollar and hope I don't have to drive to another town. :glare:

Barry, We just returned home from vacation and haven't made it to Super Walmart yet. Is this a Walmart of SuperWalmart? In any case, I'm going to keep my eyes open. I just returned home from our local TJ's (Trader Joe's) and they are always on the switch there. It can be frustrating b/c there is a definate new learning curve that comes with it. Sheryl <><

Sheryl - don't know for sure...it has a full grocery section, auto-service station, bank, vision care, and hair stylists...I'll look at the sign next time I go by.

For your dw.....are y'all close to a Michael's? There is another large arts/crafts store I can't think of at the moment.

YES! I will go to there...thank you!!!!!!! We also have a specialty craft store (not Michael's), but it's 35 min away and we rarely are going that direction.

Wasn't even going to mention this in the OP, but the prices are FAR OFF BEST AROUND now...Like most here, got a lot of mouths to feed, and I used to save $50.00/week at least by hitting WM for groceries...not so much any more! (Maybe another thread?).

Any more stories?

Our Walmart has a special buy aisle where all sorts of products are lumped together. Any chance that was what you found? Otherwise, our Walmart is well arranged.

Barry, you found one of the two or three aisles throughout the store where they place a bunch of sale items.

I thought maybe that was it...but, there was no signage to say so, and the prices didn't impress me...I do a lot of comparison shopping (Aldi's, Dollar General, Family Dollar) and I remember numbers pretty well. But I sure didn't find that arrangement helpful...but thanks for clueing me in.:)

The closest Walmart to me is the remodeled version without crafts. I don't go there since there is a Target across the street.

They closed the Walmart in the middle of town in order to open next to Target way out on the outskirts. I hate Walmart. I am not going there. It doesn't even have crafts. Boo.

There is a Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joannes here but they are a bit of a drive.

Our SC Super Walmart is in the throes of remodeling. The Pharmacy is in the middle of the store, temporarily enclosed in a makeshift plywood "box." It's a disaster! Men's underwear was temporarily in the freezer section of the store! The arts/crafts/sewing section is disappearing before my eyes. I hate it!

I go, I am a walmartaholic but the set up of the store is the pits now. I knew the old way and would write my grocery list by it but now...nope. I go because, although I like Ingles, it is more expensive than walmart.

There is no material section in the closest walmart to us (There are 2 supercenters in a 45 min radius) and the craft section...well I don't even like to call it that anymore.

I don't get my crafts there anymore I get them online or at AC Moore or Micheal's. I get material at Hancock fabric.

I mostly do my grocery shopping there, toiletries, paper goods and some clothing items.