Menu

How do you pronounce the name "Lucia"?

Guest Virginia Dawn
Loo-shuh for the island, but Loo-Chee-uh for the Saint. Don't know why :confused:.

Italian phonetics: a "c" followed by an "i" says "ch."

Ciao!

My first guess was Loo-CHEE-uh.

I'm Italian. This is the correct pronunciation. ;)

:iagree:

Sul mare luccia l'astro d'argento,

Placida è l'onda, prospero è il vento

Venite all'agile barchetta mia...

Santa Lucia! Santa Lucia!

Bill

Italian: Loo-CHEE-uh

Latin American Spanish: Loo-SEE-uh

Spanish Spanish: Loo-THEE-uh (where the "TH" is soft like in "thanks")

I know the third one is less well, known, but I had to add it. :D

Not sure how the Swedes pronounce it... they celebrate St. Lucia day in Dec.

Loo-shuh for the island, but Loo-Chee-uh for the Saint. Don't know why :confused:.

I agree with the pronunciations above.

The first pronunciation is French, the French were the first people to colonize the island.

The second pronunciation is Italian, as Saint Lucia is the patron saint of Sicily.

Aww this reminds me of my sweet friend Lucia who I haven't seen in forever. I have considered naming my next girl after her.

She called herself Loo--che-uh.

Many of her family members called her Loo-See-uh.

Those who couldn't figure it out called her Lucy.

She had family from Italy and Venezuela.

Loo-SEE-uh

Yup. My grandmother pronounced her name Loo-SEE-ah

Spanish heritage.

There's also the Scandinavian Christmas song sung on St. Lucia's Day:

"Wake UP Lu-CI-a COMES to-DAY

OH BE GLAD!

Lu-CI-a COMES in BRIGHT ar-RAY

To LIGHT the WAY to CHRIST-mas DAY!"

It just wouldn't fit in the rhythm if you pronounced it Loo-sha

Of course, different cultures/languages will have variation.

In most of Spain it would be pronounced Loo-thee-uh. This is the standard pronunciation, but the alternative regional pronuciation Loo-see-uh (parts of Andalucia and the Canary Islands) which extended throughout Latin America is also acceptable.

Aww this reminds me of my sweet friend Lucia who I haven't seen in forever. I have considered naming my next girl after her.

She called herself Loo--che-uh.

Many of her family members called her Loo-See-uh.

Those who couldn't figure it out called her Lucy.

She had family from Italy and Venezuela.

I'm thinking, this could be why the name hasn't been ruined by becoming overpopular. :lol: When I see it, I think "LOO-sha", but I studied French, so that could be why.

May we ask why?
It would make it into my top 5 names, if not for the pronunciation ambiguity. It would make a great baby name...but in my case, more likely, a pet's name. :glare:

Do you say "Loo-SEE-uh" or "LOO-shuh"? Is either correct? Is either more common where you live?

I had a dear friend named Lucia and she pronounced it loo-CHEE-uh. But she was Italian and about 75 at the time. He accent was pretty pronounced, even after 5 decades in the USA.

Do you say "Loo-SEE-uh" or "LOO-shuh"? Is either correct? Is either more common where you live?

I've heard Loo-CHEE-uh and LOO-shuh. The first being the most common (to me), but the latter is a name in my family. I've only heard Loo-SEE-uh when people are trying to pronounce family member's name, but don't know her. :)

All three are correct is why dh finally said no. Lu-see-uh is Spanish, Lu-chee-uh is Italian and Lu-sha is name of island. I've met all three through the years. Love the name though and really could have lived with either the Spanish or Italian versions.

Kimberly

I would pronounce it Loo CHEE uh as in the song Santa Lucia.

This fall my husband's cousin from Italy, Massimiliano, will be visiting us (though I wish we were visiting him!). Italians have some gorgeous-sounding names.

Edited by MBM

One name. Four proper pronounciations. (Spaniards, stick with me on this! I know you could reasonably argue for 3, but let's not. ;))

It is simply a matter of one's origins. Always polite to ask a person with this name how she pronounces it. And then to do so the same way...

Just to add to the options - my Czech friend pronounces her daughter's name (actually spelled Lucie) Loot-SEE-uh. So the "c" has a kind of "ts" or "tz" sound.

Yes - it's like this in Polish too. This was my grandmother's name (Lucja) & the C is pronouned like TS.

I wish we had used that name on a kid. Now it will have to wait for a new dog or cat :)

oh & if any of you watch A Room with a View- Lucy Honeychurch is called Lucia by some of the pretentious characters - with the Italian pronounciation since they're in Florence.....

Edited by hornblower

It is simply a matter of one's origins. Always polite to ask a person with this name how she pronounces it. And then to do so the same way...

J's name is spelled and spoken "different" but it is because of DH's Czech heritage. Although people still call him the the "American" version of his name.

Italian phonetics: a "c" followed by an "i" says "ch."

Ciao!

We learned that when we lived in Italy, however I saw the same name when we visited Spain and it was pronounced different. I would go by whatever one else called it.

:iagree: Mine, too!

How interesting that all the users here that report having a friend from Spain with that name recall the name being pronounced with the alternative non standard pronunciation instead of the Loo-thee-uh standard pronunciation!

One name. Four proper pronounciations. (Spaniards, stick with me on this! I know you could reasonably argue for 3, but let's not. ;))

Not a Spaniard, but I get what you mean, and I fully agree. :D

However, there's a fifth one too: LOO - tzi - ya. Slavic speakers will know what I mean. ;) My own Lucia has a friend with the same name and that pronunciation. I don't know where exactly the family is from, ex-Yugoslavia or something like that.

Not a Spaniard, but I get what you mean, and I fully agree. :D

However, there's a fifth one too: LOO - tzi - ya. Slavic speakers will know what I mean. ;) My own Lucia has a friend with the same name and that pronunciation. I don't know where exactly the family is from, ex-Yugoslavia or something like that.

You are right. I lost count! My apologies! And how very clever of Ester Maria to know exactly which one I missed. ;)

But if it were actually spelled Loocheeya? Yuk.
:iagree: But I wouldn't put it past someone, who thought they were being creative and original, to spell it like that if the name got popular!

My mother tells me, when I was born, a friend of hers thought "Danielle" (my name) sounded pretty. So, when she had her baby, she decided in the hospital room to name her daughter that. She and the nurse worked out how you would spell it and came up with...

Danyell

:blink:

Poor girl.