Menu

Loss of our dog

Yesterday we had to have our 14 year old baby put to sleep. It was so hard. We could have put her on extensive medication and gotten a few more months or maybe a year with her, but there were no guarantees and that would have been selfish. She was so sweet and loving and a great friend. If you'd like to see photos of my girl, you can click here. We're all devastated. Indy, Mr. HH and I have all cried several times. If our other 2 dogs could cry I think they would. They're so sad.

I am sorry for your loss. Our beloved Golden passed last month and it was really hard, especially on our son. We had just started the more invasive meds and he made it a week on them. Take time to grieve & remember, they are so special. (((hugs))) to you & your family.

I'm so sorry. What a cute dog and such a wonderful story about how you got her and your life with her.

We had to put down our almost 12 year old lab/golden mix a few months ago. He had been limping. We thought it was arthritis but the x-rays showed advanced cancer in his shoulder. He could have lasted days, weeks or months longer but it seemed to be spreading and his leg could break easily. He was in quite a bit of pain and was also having trouble breathing. They think that the cancer spread to his lungs. His 12th birthday would have been this past Sunday on Father's Day. It was a difficult day since the kids always bought gifts for him too on Father's Day. Ironically it was also the 5 month birthday of our new puppy.

We miss Thunder every day and the kids and I seem to cry at least once a week over him but we've also gotten to the point where we can laugh again about some of the memories. He was a very big dog (think Marley) and was quite mischievous. Yesterday we got together a bunch of his pictures from the time he was a puppy until a few months ago. I found out that Walgreens will create a collage for you so we had one with 20 pictures made. It only cost $4 and will be a wonderful memory.

I hope that each day gets easier for you. You did a wonderful thing letting your dog go. I know it was extremely difficult for you.

I'm so sorry! :grouphug: Saying goodbye to our furry family members is incredibly hard. Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for him.

We had to make a similar decision for our 15 y/o cat three years ago. It came down to the 'quality vs. quantity' thing, so we said good-bye. It's still hard to think about, but we had 15 great years with her, so that helps.

The photo collage hpymomof3 mentioned sounds like a wonderful idea.

:grouphug: I read your blog post and cried. Many years ago I had to put down my almost-15-year-old Golden, and recently we lost our 13-year-old mutt Scout. Almost every day there is some reminder - a toy, a sound - that brings tears again. I'm glad you have lots of good memories.

So very sorry for your loss. We had to put down one of ours 2 months ago and I cannot believe how much we all cried. We have had other dogs die but they all died kind of suddenly and for some reason it was even harder for us when we had the chance to say goodbye. As the others said , grieve your loss. The pain does lessen with time. Pepper was an adorable dog!

Thanks you all so much for your kind words. We all miss her terribly and have cried until it doesn't seem possible that we can have more tears. Of course we do, because we cry again. Indy is having a tough time. We had her for 7 years before he was born and he's never experienced a loss. Our other 2 dogs are incredibly depressed. Dutch has never been away from her for more than an hour or so. She was 4 when we got him and he was about 6 weeks old. Once she finally accepted him as part of the pack, they became best friends and Dutch seems lost. He keeps looking for her. I feel so sad for him. Thanks again for your kindness and taking the time to go have a look at my sweet girl. Many people thought she was ugly, but to me she was the most beautiful girl ever.

Oh, I'm SO sorry. I know how hard that is. Thank you for doing the right thing for Pepper. I cried for over 15 years when I lost my childhood dog. Just the thought of her would cause the tears to flow. But I'm so thankful she was a part of my life!

I *LOVE* the picture of Pepper sleeping with Dutch!!!