Menu

2010-2011 Curriculum Status

Just Robyn

Has it been long enough since we've had one of these threads? I still have quite a bit left to buy for the coming school year and I want to know I'm not the only one with stuff left to buy... or find out I am the only one which may light a fire under my .... Here's what we're still missing:

Writing with Ease 3

Phonetic Zoo B

Vocab. Flashcard Flipbooks 1

Times Tales

Pet Store Math

Muggins Math

History Odyssey Middle Ages 1

Snapshots Across America

Kids’ Gude to US

Kids’ Guide to World

Noeo Chemistry 1

Keeping a Nature Journal

Jeornals and art supplies

Chem 500

Dr. Dave’s Phases of Matter

SSRW workbooks

File Folder Games math

Art classes throuch CR rec dept.

Music Ace Deluxe

New cord for keyboard

Oh boy! That seems like a lot.:001_huh: sigh.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have already gotten everything I need, unless I change my mind again!! :lol: My dh would be very angry if I did this I must say. I have already gone over the budget due to changing my mind.

So far, I've got math planned out (continuing in same Practical Arithmetics book we used this year), though there's a program called Mathabacus I'd like to buy for a supplement.

I've started planning out History, gotten about 10 weeks into that, and I'm basing it on GuestHollow's American History curric. There's still at least one book I'd like to get, but mostly we'll use the library.

I've got phonics/spelling planned out, we'll finish Word Mastery then start Webster's Speller, downloaded free from Don Potter's site.

Geography is all planned out, we're using Evan-Moor Beginning Geography.

I've got the virtue study we're doing in Heathen Studies outlined, with stories from Bennett's Book of Virtues plugged in for some lessons. Need to find other stories and Havamal verses, etc.

I'll plan out Lit next, we're doing North American folktales and I just pulled a book I've had for years out of my home library to source for that.

Latin, Writing, and Science are all waiting for me to purchase:

Elementary Latin

CW Primer

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey: Earth and Space

I'll be putting in orders for the rest of our curric next month, when I get 3 paychecks in the month and will thus have a bit of extra $$. Hopefully I can get them in time to plug it all into the planner before DD gets home from my mom's at the end of July, I want to get us started Aug. 1.

I am just impressed you know exactly what you need. I can't decide between VP 2nd History/Bible/Lit and Sonlight Core 1 with advanced 2nd readers. I know we are doing WWE 1 and RightStart (finishing B) and I have bought C (yeah for me!!) Wish me luck.. any suggestions always appreciated!!

I think I have everything I need for the first half of the year. I placed my last orders this weekend. For the second half I still need to get MCT Town, Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book Two and supplies, and likely new piano books.

My son will finish up RS E by the second half so I'll need something for him then. I'm leaning toward Singapore 4 days a week, RS Geometry 1 day a week, and LOF Fractions and Decimals as a short daily supplement.

I am missing about $130 worth of stuff necessary to start the new school year. That includes:

RightStart C manipulatives

Elementary Greek Workbook 1 (I need 2 of these), & Set 2

LoF Pre-Algebra

Discovery of Deduction

Then there's about $150 worth of stuff that would be nice to have sooner rather than later.

8th ELA Best Test Prep by Staff of REAR

Roadmap to 8th Math

WordRoots CD set

Now What? (a career path type book)

July's a birthday month, so no money is going towards curricular supplies. August will see a package of the first list there. September and October are both birthday months, but in November I'll buy the stuff on the second list. Then of course December is the expensive holiday; I'll just sneak a science kit or some art supplies under the tree. January's another birthday month, then in February I can start buying curriculum again. I sadly already have a shopping list for next February, for materials we'll need for the 2011-12 school year. High school is darned expensive and I'm determined not to use credit cards for homeschool stuff ever. It is going to be hard to adjust to those ninth grade "box day"s that only include one $150 textbook.

Everything is planned, though. Supplies mostly laid out. We're doing a special summer school program until the autumnal equinox, when eighth, fifth, second grade and kindergarten will officially kick in. I think the seven-year-old's going into second grade. I'll have to look up what I put on the reports for the school district.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Things I still need to buy:

10th grader:

New Biology text book and lab workbook from A Beka. I have two issues about this that are creating a mental block for me. The first thing is that I already have TWO of the older Biology textbook. TWO of them! BUT they have revised their textbook and rearranged things and added things so it will be really hard for my 10th grader to follow along in the homeschool class that he'll be taking. So I have to get another one! The second thing that is creating a mental block is that I've never actually ordered from A Beka. I've always gone to one of their local displays and gotten the order in that way. But this year I seemed to have missed all the local ones. The only ones that are still occuring this summer are at least an hour drive away. No way am I doing that for one subject. The A Beka intimidates. Sooo. I keep putting it off.

The History of the Church - I already have one of these books but since I'm going to be leading a class, I think my high schooler and I both need our own books. So I've got to get that one too. I've also got to buy some literature books we'll be reading. I've got some but need to finish the list.

For 6th grader (I've order these but they haven't arrived):

MCP Word Study

Map Skills workbook

Cursive workbook

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary

Sadlier-Oxford Composition

Science textbook

4th grader:

Saxon 5/4

Penmanship workbook

Winston Grammar (I have an old set but I need to replace some of the components. Not sure how to do this)

I'm sure there is more, I just can't think of them right now!

Things that are a certainty that I've purchased:

Bible Study, Memory, and Apologetics: Who is God?

math: CLE

science: BJUP 5

WTM composition: cross-curricular copy work, dictation, narration, and outlining

Things I've purchased but where I'm still wavering:

grammar: Rod & Staff or? I'm looking to take a break from rigor and thinking of doing R & S orally.

history: Biblioplan Year 3?

science: Apologia General or A Beka 7

Still have to purchase or borrow from the library:

I have an amazon list for literature as well as a library list.

history: Queen materials?

spelling: Apples for our 13yo? and dictation for our 10yo?

I had everything purchased a few weeks ago, but I just placed a small, last-minute order at Rainbow for items I forgot. I've got a link in my signature to our plans.

I've got a few subjects planned out, and am planning/prepping for the rest of this week. We start on July 1, and I'd like to have M-W off next week.

Just about everything is planned and purchased--the lion's share of the planning was SOTW/Biblioplan 1, which I did last week while our youngest was away. The rest is pretty much open and go.

I still need to get:

Pianimals

Supplies for Artistis Pursuits Bk 1

Story of the Orchestra (Music Master cds from the library)

The above 3 we likely won't be starting for a while, so I can put them off until July. Everything else I'll be adding in over the next couple of weeks. Swimming lessons start today--4 days a week for 45 min a day. After that we'll start with reading, math, spelling today, and work the rest in over the next few weeks.

Oh, and I need to get MM 2 printed off (priced it already at local print shop), but we're finishing up SM 1B first--almost there--maybe two weeks worth of lessons.

(Still need to pay summer/fall college tuition for the oldest, and fall college tuition for the middle :001_huh: :blink::eek::scared::ohmy::crying: )

I still have items to purchase (and a few decisions to make as well). Included on my "need list" -

A handful of books from SL 3+4 and MFW Adventures, Startwrite 5.0, WWE 4, either R&S Spelling or Megawords and art supplies for Artistic Pursuits 4-6 bk 1.

Have to decide on spelling and exactly what I'm using for Art for dd7.

I have most everything I need to get started. I'm wanting to buy an audio bible to save my voice, but our school expense budget is on hold.

I also need some art and science supplies and I need to download some videos.

I truly can start with only what I have, yet I'm hoping to be able to buy a few more things before mid-July.

I have:

two levels of MM printed and in their binders

Geography

MCT (on the way)

Seq. Spelling

Minimus and Prima Latina

I still need:

R.E.A.L Science: chemistry I

Bible

Am. History (still undecided)

I would like: (if I can raise funds)

Muggins number neighbors

Keyboarding program for oldest DS

I haven't even begun purchasing for next year. And since we're unemployed again, I don't know when I will. Argh.

I still need:

Workbooks for Right Start C and D

Workbook for WWE 3

a copy of Minimus (pref. two copies)

Cambridge Unit 2 text and workbook

EG 2 workbook

Spielvogel's history (either Western Civ or World) and Human Odyssey

I still have to decide on a biology text for high school and buy that - either Campbell's Exploring Life or the Miller-Levine.

Rainbow Science text

LoF Pre-Algebra with Biology

There are some things that are not hammered down yet. And there are some things I *want*, but they're not strictly *needs.*

I'm in pretty good shape, I think- I just got Discovery Education for Spanish, which was the last big piece.

Having said that, I'm not sure my DD won't have breezed through everything we have before the 2010-2011 school year officially starts. I may have underestimated what she really needs a bit.

I have purchased everything and then some. I will actually be selling some of the items I have purchased but decided not to use! Last year was my first year homeschooling and I continue to buy more than I need. I find it very difficult to decide what I want to use!

I do that, too, and I've been homeschooling for 7 years. :)

I've got my TOG Year 3, Unit 1 books purchased.

Latina Christiana workbook(s)

Saxon Math I won't need to buy until winter

Introductory Logic

A unit study on the U.S. Constitution

A couple of science unit studies - astronomy and simple machines

I'm waiting to look at R&S Engish at the curriculum fair coming up this weekend in Austin...then my life will be complete. LOL

I am partially there, only because some of what we have is 2 levels, and other things we didn't finish yet due to our late start.

What I need for fall:

French curriculum(undecided, still looking)(grade 2, 6 and 8)

Chemistry Prelevel 1

Recorder manual (dd6 wants me to teach music not paid lessons...which is fine)

Art - Looking at Atelier for dd6

Religion - have it selected, just can't remember the name..lol

Possibly later in the year, if we finish what we are working on, we may go to the next level. I'm not too worried about it, if we do we do, she is progressing well, we'll just go with the flow:

WWE2

MathMammoth 3

Physics

SOTW vol2

I have this habit of expanding our studies, so sometimes we end up completing 3 resources in 2 years, or dragging out a resource for longer than one year (my extended TOG schedule). As a result, my list is, I need x resource by y timeframe. :) I'd be lost without my trusty notebook!

Here's my TO BUY list:

Latin Road DVD by October

TOG 4 Dec.

Phonics Road 4 Jan.

Write Shop 2 Jan

Fallacy Detective Jan

Apologia Anatomy (elementary) NB and Text by Feb.

Each time I sell something, I immediately buy whatever I can afford that is next on my list. This past week I got to buy Art of Argument and Life of Fred Alg. 2, whic I won't need until Sept :) I'm happy to be ahead for a change.

Along the way, I'll buy some TOG spines, too, but my dh appreciates the $20 here, $20 there over I need several hundred for TOG! It never seems like we can afford to home school, but it ALWAYS works out!

oh...maybe one...I did get TT Pre-Calc through the sales board.

BUT, even worse, I am still not decided on what we are going to use next year. i should put up a poll...or a contest for write my curriculum choices...SIGH!!!!

I like the contest idea :-)

Anyway, I am going to finish up this years materials and then worry about it...

Faithe

I have most everything I need to get started. I'm wanting to buy an audio bible to save my voice, but our school expense budget is on hold.

I also need some art and science supplies and I need to download some videos.

I truly can start with only what I have, yet I'm hoping to be able to buy a few more things before mid-July.

You can get audio Bible free online....just Google search it...

I have:

two levels of MM printed and in their binders

Geography

MCT (on the way)

Seq. Spelling

Minimus and Prima Latina

I still need:

R.E.A.L Science: chemistry I

Bible

Am. History (still undecided)

I would like: (if I can raise funds)

Muggins number neighbors

Keyboarding program for oldest DS

dance mat typing and typing web are free online and have been effective for my family. My older children are now typing in excess of 70words/min. Not fantastic, but also not shabby!

I haven't purchased a gosh darned thing yet :eek: I've been spending the last two weeks making lists, reading reviews, removing items from the lists, checking used prices, adding items *back* onto the lists, repeat :tongue_smilie: Now I'm thinking I'll drive the 2.5hrs to the NOVA conference July 10 to look at some items in person......

I need:

Art of Problem Solving Intro to Algebra (not yet though since we're cementing pre-algebra topics first---she hasn't had enough radicals/exponents yet)

Voyages in English 6 (text, TM, practice)

Exercises in English F

Vocabulary Workshop A (Sadlier-Oxford)

CPO Life Science or Focus on Life Science (text, TM, investigation)

Human Odyssey 1 (from K12; text, teacher guide)

There are many other books on my list to use in addition to the above! We own a bunch of Usborne and DK titles already, plus our library system is really quite good, so I should have various ancient and middle ages history books covered to read with HO. I'd like to get some of the math competition books, Patty Paper Geometry, and Botany in a Day :)

I have mostly everything we need except for the science activity books for my older ones Biology and the last two modules of the Algebra 1 program that they'll be using, but they won't need those to begin the year with. I do still need to buy some art supplies, I really need to start doing some planning and copying/printing and putting stuff in binders and folders so that i'll be ready to begin next month, but I can't stop looking at the FSOT board. Thank goodness I haven't bought anything yet.

I still have to send in my order for Abeka 8th grade spelling/poetry and grammar and composition as well as those same subjects for 7th grade.

I also just received another Memoria Press catalog and I have to admit that I have decided to get the Prima Latina vocabulary cards for the 5th grader and Horatio at the Bridge. I'm thinking of having the three boys 5th, 7th, and 8th, divide the poem in thirds or some unique way and then recite it together at a little homeschool openhouse I will host at the end of the school year for the grandparents, aunts and uncles, and a few friends. So, if I can just stop "LOOKING", I'll soon have everything because my major Rainbow Resource order came and I have finished trying to find bargains on ebay.

Our line-up looks like this:

8th grade:

Basic Practical Drafting

Beginning Algebra (alg.1) by Margaret Lial

Romans, Revolutionaries, and Reformers by AIG with some of the stories from Story of the World Middle Ages to fill in and the older two will do outlining and notetaking from the Kingfisher History of the World.

Abeka Grammar and Composition II

Abeka Spelling and Poetry II

Great Books Study - Sir Gwain and the Green Knight, Beowulf, On the Incarnation, Dante's Divine Comedy, selections from Galileo's writings, St. Augustine's Confessions, Biographies of Charlemagne, Thomas Beckett, Martin Luther, John Wycliffe, and Magellan, Shakespeare - Julius Caesar, plus a few others on the shelf that I've collected but don't remember off hand.

Apologia Physical Science plus an end of year science research paper on topic of choice - 5 pages plus a tri-fold science fair display board and display.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots C & D

Fallacy Detective and the Thinking Toolbox

Latina Christiana 2 - He'll have Henle the year after and I do give high school credit for Henle. Some don't - but I've asked several high school foreign language teachers about this and they all think that this is fine.

No formal writing course - we may do some of the composition assignments in the Abeka but I use it primarily for the grammar. Ds is a wonderful, natural born writer and doesn't need a writing course again until we do the "Elegant Essay" in 10th grade which is when I start giving almost entirely blue-book exams in history and literature.

7th grade:

Basic College Mathematics - Margaret Lial

Drawing Basics by Thomas Kinkade - ds likes to draw but has a tough time so even though this is a 4th/5th grade course, I think it will work well for him. He'll do it along with his 5th grade brother.

Abeka Grammar and Composition I

Abeka Spelling and Poetry I

Short Story Writing - DS is very creative in this department and I found a story prompt book at a teacher education store that he will love. This is about the only way that I can get him to pay attention to the rules of punctuation and capitalization! I won't let him submit his stories for the 4H newsletter unless he edits them and gets them into proper manuscript form. He'll do it for 4H but not for a grade! Oh well, I'm just happy I have 4H to bribe him with.

Daily Paragraph Editing - 5th grade - Yep! two years younger but honestly, this kid is VERY SLOW at recalling the rules so we are working our way up inch by inch!

Daily Geography Practice - 8th grade book.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B

Mindbenders Book B1, B2, B3

Latina Christiana 1

Apologia General Science plus a end of year science project with a three page research paper and display

Same history as above - This will be the last year that I can teach all three at once because the following year the oldest ds will embark upon history for high school credit and so I will have to do something more traditional and independent of his brothers...sniff, sniff..

Great Books Study - several of the books listed above plus Children's Shakespeare

5th grade:

Rod and Staff 5th grade math

Rod and Staff 5th grade English and possibly Writing with Ease

Same history as his brothers are doing

Real Science 4 kids Level 1 plus some apologia astronomy

Daily Paragraph Editing 5th grade

Daily Geography - 5th grade

Prima Latina and some French since he is showing an interest (I minored in French in college so instead of getting a children's french course, I'll just start some conversational stuff with him.)

Mindbenders A1, A2, and A3

Literature - D'Aulaires St. Francis of Assisi and St. Patrick, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, children's Celtic Myths, children's Beowulf, Sir Cumference books, If All the Swords of England, Bjorn the Proud, Augustine of Kent, Children's Shakespeare, Hobbit, the Madeleine L'Engle series.

We've been through the Story of the World Series once and are on our second time through. I felt that the 7th and 8th grader needed more so added the AIG/Diana Waring Books but will continue to use Story of the World as a spine since the boys adore her writing. However, starting in 9th grade, her History of the World for Norton will be our spines for high school. He'll complete the first two in about 3 semesters and hopefully by then she'll have her third one out and be working on her fourth since I'd like him to read the entire series before college.

Faith

I have the main ideas finished and 99% of the books and lab kits ordered and in hand. I need to find all of the supplemental readings and videos from our local libraries and Netflix. I will probably do some of that this week.

I also need to create new notebooks and folders, do the necessary photocopying for time lines, etc.

And I need to create my lesson plans using Donna Young's forms as an outline.

I *think* I have everything at least ordered now, although I am waiting on a few items to arrive.

math- right start lvl a and b ordered

science- bfsu and nature study- both already started

writing- hwot- finishing up pre-k- starting on k probably in a week or two- wwe -purchased looking to start sometime in the next year

geography- gallopping the globe and perhaps some unit studies Holling's books- waiting on GTG from Amazon

history- A First Book in History w/ d' Aulaires and other such books added in.. The Catholic Church Comes to America

latin- song school latin

reading- reading reflex

religion- " A Year w/ God" , Faith and Life- Yr 1, Tomie dePaola Bible Stories, Once Upon a Year w/ the Saints etc.

music- Story of Orchestra- Carnival of Animals- Classics for Kids

art-Discovering Great Artists- Come Look w/ Me and perhaps art classes if the museum offers them

Well, we're getting there.

We still have a $150 order to place at RR-

Song School Latin

Complete Book of Spanish Grades 1-3

Create Cursive

Create Cursive Write-On Kit

Maps Globes Graphs

CLP Nature Reader

Mother Tongue

IEW Character Lessons

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry II Lab Workbook

From Royal Fireworks-

MCT Level 1 Basic

I also have some books on my Amazon wishlist that it would be nice to own instead of borrow from the library and a couple of things that I may purchase from SL.

Glad the list is getting shorter!

Mandy

I am getting closer to being done. I will be very careful what threads I open for the next month or two. :D

Left for my twins:

SM

CLE

ETC

VE (I'm waiting on the expected Loyola Press sale from homeschool buyers co-op. )

My big purchase:

Hewitt Conceptual Physics TE

Physical LapPaq

My DD won't start those until she comes back from vacation in Oct. so I have time. :)

My DS is done!

I have (or have on the way) almost everything I need for next year.

I am not sure whether Lial's BCM will work for my youngest or not. I do already own it. If that doesn't work for her, I will have her try the trial of Kinetic Books Pre-algebra. If BCM does work, I will probably have her do KB pre-algebra afterwards because I think she's going to need it.

I have everything else aside from a few things that are still in transit and the texts for my oldest dd's cc classes. The textbooks aren't all listed yet for her cc classes yet, so I've been waiting.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m almost finished buying. I have a couple of things left to purchase; I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t made my final decision on those yet. And I have a few items that can wait until mid-year to buy; itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s more fun that way. Getting new curricula mid year always gives us a boost.

I am planning very lightly right now. We are also still finishing up a few things. Hopefully we will have a nice break soon and then start sometime in August..with a short vacation the end of August or beginning of September, before buckling down for the new year. :) We plan to be a little less relaxed this next year, so as not to get behind in "middle school". Yikes!

Well, I'm in-between. We started up 1st grade here the beginning of June, and our summer schedule includes history, science, writing and math plus reading (aloud and to herself). So we're all set with those subjects. We'll add back in grammar, spelling, foreign language, and official art and music in the fall. What I still need for fall will come in one big RR order (with the exception of the next Zaner Bloser handwriting book). I'm guessing I'll place the order either at the end of July or beginning of August, depending on the budget.

So, let's see...

For 1st:

next SWO

next level of Singapore and Miquon

Artistic Pursuits + supplies

Themes to Remember vol 2 (or maybe Classical Kids instead?)

another Come Look With Me book

Horizons Health (because it's required by our state and doesn't get done without a workbook!)

Later in the year, I'll need to get the encyclopedia and a few supplements for the human body section of biology.

For pre-k:

We have OPG, so we're set there. She'll start Singapore EB, get a few new Kumon books, and I'll probably snag Elemental Science's new K program for her, just because she wants her "own" folders so stinking badly. :lol: We'll go slowly, I promise.

Now, I currently have a super-duper long list of "wants" from that RR catalog, but other than Mad Libs, I doubt we'll get much of it. I always feel better getting it out of my system, though. :D

Edited by ~Kirsten~
see, I knew I'd forget something!