Menu

Curriculum shoppers/hoppers....If they were in school...

...They wouldn't really have a choice about the method they are taught. So beyond the reason of wanting to customize our dc's education, why oh why do we torture ourselves with trying to decide what is the best curricula?

I have a very good friend IRL who has purchased a complete K-12 curriculum that she intends to use for all five of her dc. If it doesn't fit, too bad. She sticks with it and makes her dc do so also. While I couldn't do that, in a huge way I envy her approach! She doesn't stay up late pouring over curriculum catalogs or message boards. She doesn't buy and sell. She doesn't have to figure out how to teach something new each year. ALL that time she would be doing these things, she is instead spending time with her family, cooking nice meals, cleaning house, reading, serving others, exercising, etc..

When I questioned her about how she manages to make ONE curriculum fit each different dc, she replied that she and her dh researched, decided and have just stuck with it. Adding in that if her dc were IN school, their desires and learning styles, etc. wouldn't be catered to. Hmm. Is it working for her? Yes, for the most part. I see her dc give her a hard time, but that time she spends addressing whatever issues is still way less time I spend shopping/hopping.

I use to think she was so...rigid. Now I think she may be just plain smart.:confused:

ETA-My friend has been at this for a long time as her oldest is 13....

Thoughts?

Sorry, it seems kind of selfish.

She is just trading off one headache for a different one.

I wish her luck, but if she and her husband honestly think that their research is infallible and that she has found the magic curriculum....:tongue_smilie:I guess some people are just perfect.

Edited by radiobrain

Curriculum-hopping can certainly be a sickness, esp if you think you're really going to find something PERFECT.

But other than that, I think there are several reasons people do it. First, if they were in school having to "suck it up" at least we wouldn't be stuck teaching it. When we bring ourselves into the equation, it makes it a lot harder to stomach bad curric. AND to overlook the possibility of something that might better meet needs.

Second, people who curric-hop often have a genuine love for education & curric. The process of seeing so much is itself gratifying & works kind-of like teacher workshops to make them better teachers.

Finally--& this is what I really think it comes down to--it's a personality difference in the moms. I"d be willing to bet that we all put the same time, energy, angst, etc. into *something.* My friend who uses a box curric & thinks the co has hung the moon uses her spare time to drive around town looking for containers to use for rain buckets, weaving tree-thingies together to keep the birds out, etc. She loves nature, the outdoors, stuff that grows. I don't know if she realizes that she's simplified school, but she has. She's used that time to buy time elsewhere, & I think that's fine. *For her.*

I relish every moment to hs, plan, teach, design, buy, sell curric--because I know it won't last, because it's the only thing in my life I've wanted to do longer than I've wanted to write, & because...well...I *like* learning. The process of hs'ing my kids is...gosh this sounds cheesey, but...it's giving my own childhood back to me. There came a point that school stopped. I stopped caring or trying or anything--about 2nd g. My kids are right around that point, & it's like I can feel parts of me I'd forgotten I had coming back to life.

I'm not sure if I qualify as a curric-hopper, though, so this might all be sort-of irrelevant, lol.

While some homeschool so they can tailor curriculum to the needs of their children, others may be more concerned with just having them in a better environment for learning. This may be the case with your friend and others who do this and I think that is just as valid.

I think if it's working for a family, that's truly wonderful. Homeschooling has created thousands of new choices in education for families and THAT is awesome!

...They wouldn't really have a choice about the method they are taught. So beyond the reason of wanting to customize our dc's education, why oh why do we torture ourselves with trying to decide what is the best curricula?

I use to think she was so...rigid. Now I think she may be just plain smart.:confused:

Thoughts?

I think this is dangerous thinking - comparing one family to another is not a healthy thing to do. I honestly wish I could do what your friend has done, but in my situation, it would have been disastrous. At least one of my children (a special needs student) would be uneducated, despite jumping through the hoops of a standard curriculum.

If it works for her, then that is an awesome blessing! But it won't work in every situation.

In addition, I'm not sure I would want to emulate anything the public school system does because it "has to," in order to make the system work. As homeschoolers, we have the freedom to do what is right for our children with whatever means and methods are necessary for an optimum result. The public school system, out of logistical necessity, does not have that capability. Therefore, many students come out of the system with gaping holes in the foundational basics.

*Edited for one more thought - Curriculum shopping and hopping can also be a bad thing though. It's important to know what makes a strong curriculum before you go shopping. I always encourage folks to really think about goals and objectives, consult their state educational standards, look at potential learning challenges, what are the subskills that need to be mastered before moving on, etc... Once you've done the research, then begin evaluating curriculum on the basis of strengths/weaknesses, pros/cons. There are a lot of fluffy curriculae out there. Be careful and make smart choices. If you find something that works...then stick with it. If you find something that mostly works, then keep looking for a strong tool, but supplement in the meantime. Teach interactively...be involved, require accountability, so you know what is being mastered. Lastly, do not ever buy a curriculum because other people like it. Only buy it if a program supports your goals.

Edited by LittleHouseHomeschool

I keep my kids home for the sake of giving them the best education possible given their particular circumstances. That won't happen if I'm not flexible. People homeschool for different reasons, so if the academic benefits of homeschooling are more of a side benefit for someone rather than the main goal, I can see how picking one and sticking with it might be a better fit for them.

The time she spends with her dc instead of researching, buying, and planning robably counteract any issues that might come up with different learning styles. I know some people with very lovely, intelligent dc who used one boxed curriculum all through the years with all dc. Most of the homeschoolers we all point to for their high test scores were using a full BJU package with all their dc, so it can't be that bad academically.

She is at one end of the extreme, and many are at the other and prefer to plan and buy over teaching dc. I prefer a middle ground. :001_smile: I try to find balance, as I think most do.

I have a friend who was homeschooled with his 3 brothers from k-8th grade. Their mom used A Beka for k-8th grade. I asked my friend what he though of homeschooling (his wife and all the brother's wives are homeschooling their dc). He said that he wished that his mom had used a more individualized approach to choosing curriculum that suited each child instead of just doing A Beka. He said A Beka was fine, but he and some of his other brothers were just not "work book" or "text book" learners. He though that he and another brother would have learned better if they had been taught with a different style and was glad that his wife was researching curriculums for their dc instead of just plugging away with one.

I have a very good friend IRL who has purchased a complete K-12 curriculum that she intends to use for all five of her dc. If it doesn't fit, too bad. She sticks with it and makes her dc do so also. While I couldn't do that, in a huge way I envy her approach! She doesn't stay up late pouring over curriculum catalogs or message boards. She doesn't buy and sell. She doesn't have to figure out how to teach something new each year. ALL that time she would be doing these things, she is instead spending time with her family, cooking nice meals, cleaning house, reading, serving others, exercising, etc..

When I questioned her about how she manages to make ONE curriculum fit each different dc, she replied that she and her dh researched, decided and have just stuck with it. Adding in that if her dc were IN school, their desires and learning styles, etc. wouldn't be catered to. Hmm. Is it working for her? Yes, for the most part. I see her dc give her a hard time, but that time she spends addressing whatever issues is still way less time I spend shopping/hopping.

Thoughts?

Part of the reason we're homeschooling is, my oldest does not fit the public school model. She is not "one size fits all." Each family is different. Your friend's curriculum needs are going to be different simply because her philosophies are different. It is important that you know YOUR families reasons and philosophies for homeschooling. Otherwise, you'll be pulled and pushed, and doubt your choices in the years to come.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I am jealous of your friend. The other day I found myself half wishing that I'd just bought ABeka for every subject, every grade and been done with the whole mess.

I am a chronic curriculum hopper...reforming, I might add. Desperately Reforming. (And have yet managed to not purchase one single thing from ABeka.):001_smile:

I have a love/hate relationship with curriculum. I LOVE books and planning and meshing and scheduling and tweaking. I LOVE the catalogs and the descriptions and the glossy covers. I LOVE dreaming and perfecting and supplementing. I'm also a SUCKER!! AND I suffer from The-Grass-Is-Greener Syndrome.

But I HATE the amout of time the dreaming and researching and tweaking all takes and frankly, with 7 kids, I think my time would be better spent elsewhere. I HATE the amount of money it wastes and it does waste a LOT of money...OHhhhh the money!!! And I KNOW that money could be better spent elsewhere.

And I don't think your friend is a mean momma. I do NOT switch curricula because my dc don't like it. I've never been in a position where they just.could.not.learn with a certain book. I suppose in that case change would be necessary. But I've been at this 8 years with 5 dc so far and that has never been an issue. Do they whine? Yes! Do they struggle at times? Yes! Do they <gasp> hate school some days? Yes! But I believe they would whine, struggle, and hate with any other book I chose for them because they are engaged in HARD WORK. Learning IS hard work. But you stick with it, and over time, it gets easier and THEN you start to enjoy it. And you've developed an awful lot of character in the meantime.

All of that, however, does not mean I have not sought after the perfect curriculum like DeSoto looking for the fountain of youth - the one with the perfect blend of everything that leaves no holes and prepares my children to be the eptiome of renaissance men (and women).

I'm a reforming curriculum addict because I've learned (the hard way) that the fountain of youth does NOT exist and in the seeking of it I've created the very fractured holes I was trying to avoid. :glare:

Having said all that, I do realize that there may be flaws in the way I'm doing things or thinking about things and so I think it's necessary to be open to change. So I am. But I hope I'm saying that with as much wisdom and discernment as I can muster and I'm not just waving my empty glass around in a stupor...I don't have a problem. I can stop anytime I want. :lol:

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, since a conversation I had with my MIL. She homeschooled my DH starting back in the early '80s. They used to go dumpster diving at the public schools when the schools threw out their used textbooks. There was not a lot of curriculum readily available at that time.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed having so much information available! But I love the ability to pick and choose and cater to my kids' needs. I haven't been at it long enough to really hop around, but I do spend a lot of time shopping for the "perfect" curriculum. :)

One thing that has surprised me since I started homeschooling is how much emphasis is put on choosing the 'right' curriculum to fit your DC's learning style while there is very little mention made of adapting teaching styles to fit the DC's learning style. I guess it is b/c I am a former PS teacher, and while I admit there is no way to give every child in a classroom the individual attention available in a homeschool setting, I certainly did not treat students with a one size-fits-all approach. I worked hard, as do many PS teachers to present the lessons in a variety of ways to appeal to different learning styles. Just because students are using the same text does not mean that the teacher cannot individualize the lessons to fit the needs of the child.

Now I do know that one of the benefits of HS is being able to choose curriculum that will help do this for you, but using the same curriculum does not mean that the individual learning styles of each child are being ignored. If she is an experienced homeschoolerwith that many children and they are being successful, I am willing to bet she is talented and suiting her teaching style to fit the needs of each child with out having to depend on the curriculum to tell her how to do that.

Now I do know that one of the benefits of HS is being able to choose curriculum that will help do this for you, but using the same curriculum does not mean that the individual learning styles of each child are being ignored. If she is an experienced homeschoolerwith that many children and they are being successful, I am willing to bet she is talented and suiting her teaching style to fit the needs of each child with out having to depend on the curriculum to tell her how to do that.

I agree. I often use the same curriculum (at the same time, even) to teach both my dd, and they have very different learning personalities. I think it's actually easier to focus on what your dc needs when you are used to the curriculum.

I have often found it odd that as homeschoolers (and I include myself at times) we reject the "experts" to teach our dc on our own, but then hop from one curriculum to another, looking for something external. It really is SO much more about the parent-child relationship, the parent's comfort and ability to teach, the home environment. There are a lot of other factors than curriculum or (gasp! :D) homeschooling method.

Thoughts?

Because the wrong curriculum has a special torture all its own.

I don't really curriculum hop. But I don't buy a package program either. I research and buy separate "best" curricula for each subject. For me, it has worked out to find a certain sequence for each 4 year period. Now having said that, I have changed our curricula twice for dd8. She is such a different learner than ds(almost 13) is, that she could not keep up with the choices I had bought for him. And the difficulties she had were not ones I could solve by customizing the books I had. Because I don't use a package program, it was easier for me to find a fit for her for those two subjects. But once I found what worked for her, I will be sticking with it.

Hm. I guess you could make this work if you wanted to, as it's been pointed out, everyone in public schools uses the same curriculum.

However, being able to pick and choose is one of the reasons I homeschool!! I love being able to select the best possible choices for DD and the curriculums that she will love and thrive on. I'd rather her ENJOY her education and look back on our time together with fondness than score number one on some test. (This of course is assuming she is at least capable of doing well in college/life from where we end up at)

One of the perks of homeschooling is being able to specially design an education that takes your child's needs into account. So careful research of curriculum is wise.

Jumping from curriculum to curriculum especially in the core subjects is counterproductive unless a parent is very careful to follow set goals and standards (even if they are ones they've created). This requires a lot of work, though it can be very rewarding.

So if I have to choose between a parent who buys all one curriculum and tweaks it to meet the needs of her individual children and a parent who buys a different math program every year, I'm more likely to go with door #1.

However, I think it is possible to meet in the middle somewhere.

I homeschool because I too love to learn, and to learn alongside my kids.

If I just handed over a set curriculum to my kids and made them do it, year after year...there woudl be virtually no joy in it for me, and I feel we would miss out on a lot that we have done and shared together by me being so involved in the details, and being willing to change when I wanted to follow a different trail.

But...on my bad days, I envy my friend who gave her girls Saxon Maths and Rod and Staff English from a certian stage onward, and never deviated. SHe also had them outline the KHE because thats what TWTM says. Her girls are bright and academic- it has worked. But I deviated from that path very early on and overall, I am glad I did because it has been FUN, and i have been very involved in learning history and grammar etc alongside my kids, and reading aloud to them daily rather than just handing them books.

But, to each their own and I think the kids could have benefitted from being a little more consistent and curriculum hopping a little less...but in the end, I think it's all ok.

That's the whole point for me! If I wanted my kids to be made to do a particular curriculum on a particular schedule with a particular teaching methodology, all of which are determined by strangers and may or may not suit my children, well then I would send my children to school. I so agree, however, with the implication in your post that the principle of diminishing return is at work when it comes to time spent in choosing curriculum.

I think there are pros and cons.

Honestly, I wish I had taken that approach, to a degree, myself. Though the children's needs should be considered (btw, and still can because you can base it on your philosophy of children's needs as well as your beliefs regarding child development as well as what you know of your oldest children when you decide)...anyway, though the children's needs should be considered, they are NOT the only factors for ANY of us. There are plenty changing curriculum based on what THEY can accomplish, time, combination of needs, etc. Additionally, I would (and she probably would also) change up somewhat or dramatically if there were to be a HUGE issue down the line. But she doesn't get caught up in all the little issues, general worrying, etc. That sure sounds like a major plus. And then honestly? Homeschoolers that do it this way or similarly seem MUCH more at peace. It SEEMS as if their results are similar to better also, maybe not compared to those on this board; but IRL, people who stick to a curriculum seem to get more homeschooling done than those who mix and match and change it up.

Anyway, I'd almost certainly do things differently if I started over.

I'm really enjoying reading the various thoughts! So many excellent views and food for thought.:grouphug:

Very, very funny-yet so sadly true.

I think there are pros and cons.

Homeschoolers that do it this way or similarly seem MUCH more at peace. It SEEMS as if their results are similar to better also, maybe not compared to those on this board; but IRL, people who stick to a curriculum seem to get more homeschooling done than those who mix and match and change it up.

Anyway, I'd almost certainly do things differently if I started over.

Yes, she exhibits this type of peace, and she and her dc know exactly *what* is going to happen *when*-every single year. Start/stop dates-holiday breaks, etc.. It's all figured out and done.

Sorry, it seems kind of selfish.

She is just trading off one headache for a different one.

I wish her luck, but if she and her husband honestly think that their research is infallible and that she has found the magic curriculum....:tongue_smilie:I guess some people are just perfect.

I know her well enough to know that she doesn't think her choice is the perfect one. I think it's more that she understands that there *is* no perfect curriculum or method of teaching, therefore she just accepts that. This has allowed her to dig "deeper" into other areas of life, imo. Or, it just seems that way.

Very good points! And yes, she is very smart and very good at teaching and knows her dc well. She's a really, really great mom.:)

Thoughts?

I have a friend who does the same thing. She has 4 and her oldest is 14. In her opinion, there are many good curricula. She picked one and she stuck with it. There is no need to jump around for the next or better thing when her kids are doing fine with what they have. I say good for her! She is also of the opinion that curricula is less important than the teacher - if she does her job, many curricula could fit the bill...

Mine are young so I am still looking for the right fit but I hope to be able to find it soon and stick with it. Like you said, saves time, energy, stress, and money!

:iagree::D

I've finally settled on a method of education, but within that model I have flexibility to chose. I love to research and plan but I don't switch around that much. I don't pick every curriculum based upon my son's learning style and I don't jump on the latest and the greatest. But I do continually look at what's available, how it might fit into the goals *I have* for his education. Even if I'm drooling over the new material if it doesn't fit the goal I don't think about purchasing.

I have lists of items to think about in the future. Because I continually research once I purchase an item it gets used. The exception has been at least one subject per year for the last three years. Seems like I miss the mark because of overestimating my ability to teach, my son's current ability, or just a bad fit. I will use those until it reaches the "torture" stage and then move on.

It sounds like the plan works for your friend, but I need the flexibility.

Edited by elegantlion

I guess it all boils down to reasons for homeschooling.

For us, one of the major reasons is the custom fit. I don't have any illusions that there's some 'perfect curriculum' for any of my children (much less all of them). I try to find what is going to work best for each of them each year, and then I hope that what I buy for the older one(s) might fit at least one of the younger ones at some point. Now, they have a bigger say in selection. My older dd learned a lesson this year, though. She thought textbooks (regular, ps type) would be easy -- and they were, to a point. They also bored her almost to death before we got out of the first semester. I count that lesson that she learned about herself and how she learns as much more valuable than anything the textbooks could have taught her.

It doesn't always work out to pick something and go with it. We were 0 for 4 with 100 Easy Lessons. They all hated it. A couple of them hurried up and learned to read so they wouldn't have to do that book. They all read at to much above grade level.

On the other hand, Singapore Primary Math has fit all of them fairly well. It got monotonous and I wanted to go wider, rather than doing NEM at age 9 with them, so we have a couple of other programs, but I COULD have stuck with just Singapore all the way through with all of my dc. For supplements, some like MEP; some liked Miquon, but one hated it; two are taking a Singapore break and going to school textbooks next year (Miss Textbooks don't work hasn't entirely learned her lesson yet, though I think that math will go better than science or social studies.)

The longer I homeschool the more I realize that it isn't about curriculum at all. It's about teaching. So, now, instead of focusing on curriculum so much, I focus on *my* teaching skills and knowledge. Yes, I use books and workbooks, but I am no longer dependent on them as much as in the past.

The longer I homeschool the more I realize that it isn't about curriculum at all. It's about teaching. So, now, instead of focusing on curriculum so much, I focus on *my* teaching skills and knowledge. Yes, I use books and workbooks, but I am no longer dependent on them as much as in the past.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I enjoy researching and selecting not the perfect curricula but the best for us. I'm studying along with my girls. I know for myself that the right curricula makes a huge difference. Not to mention, I like choosing a book or product that makes my daughters' eyes light up in anticipation of school. Naturally, not everything is going to be fun or even enjoyable but I've seen the difference a change in curriculum can make. We're not curriculum jumpers though. Too expensive if nothing else.

and has her own best interests at heart as opposed to her kids. I met another mom that did things the same way. I just thought she was lazy. Kid wasn't very happy, graduated and did NOT go to college.

Why did she homeschool if she was selfish and didn't have her kids best interest at heart? I would think that someone who didn't want to do things for her kids would just put them in school. (Note: I am not saying that all those who have dc in school feel this way.)

Why did she homeschool if she was selfish and didn't have her kids best interest at heart? I would think that someone who didn't want to do things for her kids would just put them in school. (Note: I am not saying that all those who have dc in school feel this way.)

I have a good friend who homeschools primarily for the moral benefit of her children and not for the academic. She has chosen a curriculum that is not bad academically. But she is very upfront that her primary concern was choosing something that had minimal involvement from herself as a "teacher" - so much so that she does not consider herself as her childrens' teacher at all. She is not a selfish person - she is very selfless in choosing to guide her children in their moral development. But she will tell you that she values keeping her house immaculate so much that she does not want to use her time for actually teaching her children. She plugs the kids into their DVDs with their cyber teachers and uses her time for cleaning.

I have different priorities. I value actually teaching academics to my children more than having a clean house. She could make a very valid case (based on different values) that I am being selfish by choosing to expose my children to dirt, and clutter.

I have not read any other replies yet-- but here I go--

One of the problems with public schools is they try to fit all the kids into a box. My kids do not fit in boxes!! It sounds as if your friend is doing the same. Will it work- yes. Will It be ideal- IMO no, but thats the good thing about homeschooling. My homeschool my rules, your homeschool your rules. That is exactly why *I* could never do a boxed curriculum. I do not want my kids do dread school- I dont want it to be a struggle. I want them to enjoy learning to learn, kwim?

I would be afraid of covering up a talent one of my dc have buy chosing a curriculum all wrong for them. One of my reasons for homeschooling (after providing a Christ honoring education) is to bring out the talents of my kids. My kids are VERY talented in different ways but using one curriculum would hinder that. I do not obsess over curriculum and when I do find what works for each one I do not look anymore, unless as they get older their needs change.

I do have time to cook healthy meals daily, bake bread, clean, I go to the gym M-F and walk/run (just starting the run thing:001_huh:lol) 2 miles at the track daily. We have fun after school as a family and go on field trips!!

I'd like to reach this point. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

I have a friend who does the same thing. She has 4 and her oldest is 14. In her opinion, there are many good curricula. She picked one and she stuck with it. There is no need to jump around for the next or better thing when her kids are doing fine with what they have. I say good for her! She is also of the opinion that curricula is less important than the teacher - if she does her job, many curricula could fit the bill...

Sometimes the best curriculum is the one that gets done. If A Beka or K-12 truly gets it done well, I'm all for it. It wouldn't work as well here, but I still would be considered somewhat in a rut by some.

This is why it bothers me so that homeschool conferences are mostly fluff and Christian cheerleading. There's a whole world of professional development out there!

OTOH, I have seen some people get way too into researching curriculum. I individualize things greatly for my dc, but I do not spend hours and hours looking at it. Currently, I'm not looking for anything, and so I don't look. A few years ago when we needed a new math program, I looked around, chose MUS, bought it, and we have used that. If there's a subject I want resources for, I pull out the Rainbow Resource catalog and look at that section. Once I read through the entire thing because I was rethinking my philosophy of education and didn't want to overlook anything. But I don't just sit around reading it.

It comes down to a family's reason for choosing home schooling. My reasons were to solely to meet academic needs. My dc do not in anyway respond to the same approach. Some curriculum I've gotten works with all the learning styles they throw at me. Some curriculum I've gotten knowing it would be perfect for my oldest, but that I would have to buy something completely different for my dd. I use the same curriculum in different ways. I want to make sure they learn and understand subjects with depth, not learn rote facts and move on.

I think many people who read WTM and pick up on the WTM approach or another classical approach are looking for more depth in their dc's education.

If the reasons for home schooling are not based on higher academic goals (safety, a truly failing school, religious needs, health issues, etc.), then picking something and just sticking it out can provide an adequate education and be a reasonable approach. I think it's an approach that falls short on helping children reach their potential, but the same is true of many public and private schools.

It's just what the family needs.

Kinda odd that picking a curriculum and sticking with it through a few children is considered lazy and selfish. ANYTHING can be individualized at least a little bit.

I think about MY children. Think of a strong curriculum like K-12 or Calvert. Or pick the top choices from TWTM. Say I decide on what I think it generally "the best" in general. I get to know the curriculum well. My kids are night and day academically. One is on a 4th grade level at 4 and the other is on a 4th grade level at 12. But they both go through SOTW and WWE. Why is that so bad? I handhold with one a bit more. I encourage deeper or broader thought from the other. I do one more verbally with one and one types out 3 page stories. And when I have a 3rd kid (ha!), I have that child go through also. I can easily adapt for that child's needs also. But I believe these are good materials and I know them well and I have the peace of knowing they are getting a solid education AND that I don't have to change curriculum 14 times in 20 years of homeschooling.

Seriously, I don't find ANY of that lazy or selfish.

The other thing is, like I mentioned before, MY experience is that homeschoolers who pick their materials (whether a full program or picking pieces themselves) and stick with them actually progress academically. Though we were conscientious homeschoolers, I think my own children would have benefited from a bit more consistency of materials and method. A LOT of homeschoolers miss the consistency which SEEMS to often lead to a bit of do-nothingness. Most of these parents are NOT trying to harm their kids, but they just get into the rut of changing so much as to actually DO very little.

Anyway, just what I've seen. I most certainly would pick "stick to it" over curriculum hopping if I had it to do over again.

ETA: And I'd spend just as much time and effort homeschooling and aiming to make it the best for each child I had. I'd just spend a lot less time flitting or thinking about flitting along the way.

Edited by 2J5M9K

However, being able to pick and choose is one of the reasons I homeschool!! I love being able to select the best possible choices for DD and the curriculums that she will love and thrive on. I'd rather her ENJOY her education and look back on our time together with fondness than score number one on some test. (This of course is assuming she is at least capable of doing well in college/life from where we end up at)

:iagree:

I originally took my oldest ds out of school because he wasn't doing well. Why would I buy something else that he wouldn't do well with? We enjoyed our time together and now that he is gone - it was even more of a gift to me. I choose my curriculum based on my individual child because I want to do the very best I can for them. If I didn't want that for them, I might as well send them back to school and hope for the best.

I also want to enjoy my days teaching them. If everything is an uphill battle then my job is harder. I am selfish in that if there is a way to get from point A to point B that is enjoyable - then I want to choose that way.

I reasoned that I had had grammar starting at that age, and that DD had done FLL (it was only one volume then) and that this was doable, and if she couldn't do it, too bad, she was going to have to.

Well.

That really had no good result. She was frustrated, I was frustrated, she could not learn the material--could not, not would not, I am convinced, and I had to either be stubborn to our detriment or do something else.

It was tough for me. I am a stubborn old German Lutheran who believes in doing the right thing no matter what. I was pretty sure that pushing her through that curriculum was the right thing. I had a very difficult time letting go of it, and I'm not completely certain that I was right to do so. My DH is very unsupportive of homeschooling, and poorly educated, and he was saying that he didn't remember ever hearing of any of this stuff before so why was I trying to teach it to our young child. He is permissive in general and just always wants to cave.

So I figured out something else to do instead, and presented it as a midcourse correction. I'm good with that.

Same with the public school math curriculum. I figured that DD should be able to do it. But she could not. After two years of agonized struggle we switched back to Saxon. Result? She has learned math.

Frankly, these are not my finest hours. And yet because of them DD has gotten an excellent education that honors the person that she truly is.

My brother, sister and I were all schooled using A Beka all the way through. We all did fine.

But I am not homeschooling to play school. There's honestly not much about "school" that I want to copy, especially public schools. There are too many reasons for me to even list---I think I come up with a new reason everyday!--that we homeschool, but none of them are so that I can be just like the school down the street. Not that that's what your friend is trying to do. It sounds like she doesn't really care what others think about it, which is wonderful. It's something that's only between her, her husband, children and God. But I do not envy her way of doing things. I was in a boxed curriculum for all my school years. I am a traditional learner, so do very well with workbooks and reading anything, textbook or not. But I cannot say I didn't wish I could do something different. I look back and now and see how much creative writing and reading of the classics that I missed, and like one of the PPs said, I feel like now with homeschooling that my *own* childhood has been given back to me. I am learning so much, and it's exciting to see it in my kids, because I know they are getting a fuller experience than I got.

So no, if they were in school there would be no customizing, but I don't see what school has to do with homeschooling at all.

This is such an interesting discussion!

I tend to be the super-planner and curriculum researcher, and I fully admit that this tendency definitely has its pros and its cons. ;)

It seems to me that neither approach is good: the person who picks something early on and never even considers a change under any circumstance vs. the person who constantly researches and changes curricula so often that nothing actually gets done.

I guess we all need to find our own balance between the two extremes.

I remember reading a post about a homeschool mom who took great pride in the fact that she hadn't purchased any new curricula for over twenty years. Twenty. :eek: (If I recall correctly, this was an acquaintance of someone here on the WTM boards.) I know, I know . . . . if that worked for her and her family, great . . . but to me that just seems like a level of rigidity that I would not want to fathom. There are so many wonderful curricula, resources, books, DVDs, etc. that have come out in the past twenty years.

But as I've said, being at the other polar extreme is probably not a good idea either. I acknowledge the truth behind the saying that "A good curriculum is one that actually gets done." :)

Trying to find that balance.

Kinda odd that picking a curriculum and sticking with it through a few children is considered lazy and selfish. ANYTHING can be individualized at least a little bit.

I have to say, that my friend is very, very far from selfish or lazy. If anything, she is just now realizing how long she has put herself on the back burner and has kicked it up quite a bit to do more self-care. Actually, she is what many would consider a "Super Mom!" Her kitchen is constantly dirty from cooking meals from scratch in a small kitchen. She drives her dc to swim team, swim lessons,soccer, piano, choir, and church group.

The curriculum she uses is Veritas Press-she and her dh took tax returns to purchase everything they would need for K-12. Every single book even.

I can safely assume her reasons for hsing are first to nurture her dc's character, moral, religious, and academic needs.;)

This is such an interesting discussion!

I tend to be the super-planner and curriculum researcher, and I fully admit that this tendency definitely has its pros and its cons. ;)

It seems to me that neither approach is good: the person who picks something early on and never even considers a change under any circumstance vs. the person who constantly researches and changes curricula so often that nothing actually gets done.

I guess we all need to find our own balance between the two extremes.

Trying to find that balance.

Bingo! :D It is SO hard for me to find this balance.:glare: I am not one who can take things in the gray areas, I tend to analyze and then over-analyze. I need to strive for peace and contentment-and confidence.

I will admit that the pp who said it is dangerous to compare ones family to another's is spot on! I have always felt so inferior to this friend, and perhaps was too critical about her approach to hisng in order to make myself feel better. Now, I just think she is an excellent teacher, probably adapts VP to her unique dc, and spends more of her time actually teaching and homemaking.

She's doing something very, very right. For this, I do envy her. :)

Awesome discussion!!:grouphug:

Your friend in my opinion is not fully reaping the benefits of home education. Which I strongly feel - Every child deserves to have their education fit their learning style, abilities and needs. This way they can truly enjoy and excel in their education. :001_smile:

Lisa

Our girls both used A Beka--oldest 9-12 grade and middle 7-12th grade. They have both done pretty good. At the time we had a tight homeschool budget and my husband had been educated using A Beka and my mother-in-law had taught it at Christian school. It was a solid program. We have used it with our third child until last year. We will be using the LBC with him for 7-8th grade---everything for those two years has been purchased and planning has begun. When we start something we see it through. I think your friend is wise.

I try to not switch very often. I don't think that there is any program out there that is going to make my kids educated without effort on their and my part. So I reserve switches for when things aren't satisfying their need to learn (like getting more challenging science) or cause so much frustration as to be counterproductive.

But I don't change just because someone isn't having fun or says they don't like their math. Odds are they would get excited by the change then be back to not liking having to put forth effort within a few months.

On the other hand, I have to realize that my kids are individuals and that one of the great strengths of homeschooling is that I DON'T have to do things just like a school would. I can use different material for each of my kids. I can use the newest thing or an old classic or a combination of both.

Switching too often can be detrimental, but so can insisting on one thing without regard to how it fits the situation.

I have a good friend who homeschools primarily for the moral benefit of her children and not for the academic. She has chosen a curriculum that is not bad academically. But she is very upfront that her primary concern was choosing something that had minimal involvement from herself as a "teacher" - so much so that she does not consider herself as her childrens' teacher at all. She is not a selfish person - she is very selfless in choosing to guide her children in their moral development. But she will tell you that she values keeping her house immaculate so much that she does not want to use her time for actually teaching her children. She plugs the kids into their DVDs with their cyber teachers and uses her time for cleaning.

I have different priorities. I value actually teaching academics to my children more than having a clean house. She could make a very valid case (based on different values) that I am being selfish by choosing to expose my children to dirt, and clutter.

Boy, kinda off topic, but I would be totally intimidated by her myself! LOL! About the house cleaning thing...

Interesting thoughts your friend has!