Menu

Poll: What do you call...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was always ground beef in our house. My mother grew up in New Jersey but her mother was from Iowa. ETA: I was born in Kansas, moved to NC when I was six, and spent the remainder of my childhood there.

My MIL and husband call it chop meat, and I have never told them that I think that sounds like a bad horror movie. MIL was Brooklyn born, dh Manhattan. :001_smile:

Doran

Even if it is for tacos or meatloaf instead of burgers...it is hamburger.

Grew up in S. California (of Kansas-reared parents).

Even if it's venison. LOL. Doesn't matter. It's hamburger.

Grew up in AZ. DH says it the same way. He grew up in NM. :)

my parents labeled each type:

Ground Chuck

Ground Round

Ground Sirloin.

I used the term "ground round" in a paper in fourth grade and the teacher made fun of it in front of the whole class, so I, shy and mortified, stopped using those terms.

I grew up calling it hamburger meat, in Canada. But Canada, like the States, varies with where you grow up. I grew up in BC right by the ocean, my mother is from Manitoba, and I don't remember if I picked that up just from her or if everyone there said it that way. Now I say ground meat or ground beef/pork/chicken/turkey to be more specific, and I live in New England. I have heard hamburg, probably when I worked in Boston, and maybe people right here say it but I haven't paid that much attention.

fwiw, I grew up saying pop (now say soda), chocolate bars (instead of candy bars), and pronouncing dicotyledon with the emphasis on the tyl syllable and no long e (just saying that because dh and I had the biggest laughs when each of us, both with postsecondary education relating to plants, learned how the other pronounces it.)

Ground beef.

(Except we usually buy ground chuck, which is different than just "beef.")

I grew up in the northeastern US until age 9, and then moved to Idaho. I've heard linguists say that when listening for accents, etc., you want to know where people grrew up from ages 6-12. I kind of split my time, though....

Ground beef.

I've heard linguists say that when listening for accents, etc., you want to know where people grrew up from ages 6-12. I kind of split my time, though....

This is interesting. I split my time, too. But what about for people like me who change accents with where they are, and not on purpose? I've always wondered if a good linguist would be able to place where I grew up if they met me here.

What are you finding out? Do tell!

Well, the main thing I wanted to know was whether "hamburg" was as narrowly regional as I suspected it to be. It clearly is. What's interesting is that it's used in areas that haven't picked up other Boston food words, like "tonic" as the generic term for carbonated beverages. "Chopmeat" is also limited to a very specific area, which doesn't surprise me. I actually wonder if it's a translation from another language (Hackfleisch? maybe via Yiddish?) that has come into English. A lot of American regionalisms are like that.

For the rest, I'd have to plot it out on a map, which is probably more than I'm up for, research-wise! ;) Thank you all for the information - it's fascinating!

My mom always called it hamburger, but in a household of 3 4-H meat judgers, we call it ground beef.

My kids have memorized the meat cuts of pork, beef, and lamb; know which part of the animal the cuts come from; and know if it is to be cooked dry, moist or dry-moist. Need anyone to judge 3 hanging carcasses and give an on-the-spot memorized speech on why one is better than the other? LOL!

Wisconsin.

Growing up in the Pacific NW, with parents raised in MI, we called it hamburger.

Somewhere along the line I switched, (still living in the Pacific NW) and now usually call it ground beef. I didn't realize I'd made a switch until you posted this question! LOL

I also grew up calling carbonated beverages "Pop" and somewhere (college, probably... still PNW) switched to calling it Soda.

My dw, who grew up in NH with Boston-born parents, calls it "hamburg." I even see that on menus here, but I've never heard it in any other part of the country.

Dh grew up in southern VT where they also called it "hamburg." I had never heard that before. I'm from Hawaii and we called it "hamburger." I know, not much difference but it still sounded strange the first time I heard it.

Cinder