What supplies do you use most?

pencils

pencils

pencils

markers

dry erase markers

paper --loose, printer, spiral

folders

I recently started liking the stacking in and out boxes-perhaps even the kind on the wall

printer ink

patience, patience, patience---always runs out at the worst time

I think the trampoline saved their lives a couple of times

chocolate (for momma)

Lara

1. pencils
  2. a sharpener for the pencils (mine kept breaking the tips to the mechanical pencils)
  3. erasers
  4. lined paper
  5. printer paper
  6. ink
  7. 3 ringed binder, composition books, and or spirals depending on how you intend to organize your stuff
  8. crayons, colored pencils, and or markers for drawing, notebooking, art, something always needs coloring it seems and I have a 3rd, 1st and baby
  9. scissors, glue, stapler, basic stuff
  10. index cards (I like 4x6)
  11. dry erase board
  12. dry erase markers
  13. dry erase eraser/spray/something
  14. a good library card
  15. I love the chocolate idea
  16. I also swear by my trampoline, scooters, bikes, and Wii Outdoor and Wii Fit to burn off excess energy.

Good luck! I hope our lists help.

I have never brought so many pencils and erasers....even though I brought them when the kids were in PS...geez...wonder why we go through so many now and not then. LOL!

Lots and lots of paper, and ink for the printer..a must!

Folders, and 3 ring binders

white board, brought from Lowes or home depot, and white board markers

spiral notebooks, and those composition notebooks...love these for journal entries!!

crayons and markers

glue

The library card is a must!!! Especially for the readers in my house

Oh and couldn't agree more with the chocolate comment!!! oh how I love my chocolate!! :)

For your first year, there will be a few 'investments'

your 3 hole punch, your really good wall-mount pencil sharpener, your stapler, and I recommend a laser printer, because you'll be doing a LOT of printing and copying and if yours is like all mine, they quit at the worst times possible.

So, after that, here's my list

3 ring binders

Lots of colored folders for lapbooks

about 100.00 worth of pencils (ok, maybe not that much, but it seems like it)

erasers to go with the pencils

lots of construction paper

glue sticks

spiral notebooks (I also use them for daily journals)

about 4 packs of crayons, colored pencils and markers per kid, per year.

about 10 glue sticks per kid, per year

and never NEVER never

run out of coffee. :)

This will be my first year with a first grader (k was just having fun for the most part)

My supplies include:

Pencils

Markers (fat and fine tip)

Colored pencils

Glue sticks

Elmer's Glue

Crayons

Construction paper

Copy paper

Composition books

A journal to use for DS's nature journal

Pile of old magazines (to cut out pictures for collages)

Assorted arts & craft supplies (pipe cleaners, wiggly eyes, funky paper, etc.)

3-hole punch

Hole reinforcements

Ruler

Big Clock (to continue teaching how telling time)

Assorted manipulatives (counting bears, balance scale, etc.)

Number board for 0-100

Large white board DH has to mount to wall

Small white board DS likes to use in his lap

Dry Erase markers, wipes and eraser

Great thanks everyone :001_smile:

One more thing.. Where do you all usually shop for this stuff??

Staples & office Depot seem quite expensive??

Usually we shop walmart or dollar store for that stuff, but just wondering if there is somewhere online that is cheaper in bulk??

Coffee & chocolate:lol: :D

My mom bought cheap lap boards from a teacher supply store, but they didn't hold up.

I bought the Expo brand lap board from Staples ($6 a piece) and it was worth it. They are holding up much better, and come with a warranty. Some things are worth the extra if you can swing it.

3 hole punch (Walmart)

pencil sharpener (Walmart) - make sure it's electric

pencils - find a kind you like

I found Bic Velocity mechanical pencils hold up longer than other mechanical ones

spiral notebooks (sale - Walmart)

filler paper (sale - Walmart)

White view binders (Walmart)

highlighters (Walmart)

post it notes and those little quarter size post it notes (Walmart - clearance)

digital camera (to capture those special moments and bugs, not from Walmart)

internet access (not from Walmart)

push pins

Binder clips (I use these two more than my stapler, which is not from Walmart)

exercise ball for ds and me (his - Walmart, mine - Target)

copy paper (Walmart)

extra black ink for the wireless printer

I'm really not pushing Walmart. :lol: I'm only saying most of the things I use are the standard supplies that can be picked up almost anywhere and it ocurred to me most of them did come from adding a few things when I pick up groceries. I tend to stock up during back to school sales.

Pencils and a good electric pencil sharpener

Paper

Binders

Spiral notebooks (for grammar and writing), and the hard-bound sketchbooks (for science) you get on the sale rack at Borders or B&N

Dry-erase board and fine-tip dry-erase markers in different colors

Crayons, markers AND colored pencils

ERASERS

Scissors

Binders

Cat

Post-it Notes!!!! Great for taking notes on pages you want to teach.

File folders

I also buy (when on sale) the Post-It Page Markers. I think that's what they're called. (They're the tags that, as a secretary, you would put on a page where you want someone to sign.) They pop up out of a small portable plastic dispenser and I use them for everything! The page I'm going to teach tomorrow, dd's piano book, the activity page, etc. They are surprisingly strong and can be used over and over. Personally, I can't live without them anymore.

If you have extra money lying around :001_smile: -

I went to the tools department of my local Home Improvement store and bought a narrow storage box with lots of little clear drawers that you would put screws and nails in. It will hang on a wall or take up very little room on a table and it keeps all of the little supplies everyone's been mentioning in one place like erasers, post-its, push pins, safety pins, paper clips, binder clips, travel bottles of hand sanitizer, etc. I labeled the front of the drawers with my Labelmaker...

Oh! a labelmaker is awesome if you don't have one and have even more extra money lying around.

I might not be the best person to be answering this post...:001_unsure: I'll stop now.

Post-it Notes!!!! Great for taking notes on pages you want to teach.

File folders

I also buy (when on sale) the Post-It Page Markers. I think that's what they're called. (They're the tags that, as a secretary, you would put on a page where you want someone to sign.) They pop up out of a small portable plastic dispenser and I use them for everything! The page I'm going to teach tomorrow, dd's piano book, the activity page, etc. They are surprisingly strong and can be used over and over. Personally, I can't live without them anymore.

If you have extra money lying around :001_smile: -

I went to the tools department of my local Home Improvement store and bought a narrow storage box with lots of little clear drawers that you would put screws and nails in. It will hang on a wall or take up very little room on a table and it keeps all of the little supplies everyone's been mentioning in one place like erasers, post-its, push pins, safety pins, paper clips, binder clips, travel bottles of hand sanitizer, etc. I labeled the front of the drawers with my Labelmaker...

Oh! a labelmaker is awesome if you don't have one and have even more extra money lying around.

I might not be the best person to be answering this post...:001_unsure: I'll stop now.

:lol: I have a feeling Im going to be a "Supply Junky"! hehe.. Im already addicted to post it notes , pens, & binders!:D bought lots for my college classes... now I get to buy more for HS'ng! :auto:

thank you , thank you ;)

My list of supplies on hand for 2 children:

glue sticks--20-30

tape--20-30

colored pencils--2 boxes

crayons--2 boxes

markers--3 sets (mine are bad now too)

pencils--2 sets

brads--1 box

watercolors--2 sets

pencil top erasers--2 packages

binders--1 for each subject for each child or 4 large ones

binder tabs--2 sets (7-10 dividers)

pronged file folders--10-20

notebooks--1 box

loose leaf paper--1 box

pastel colored copy paper--1 ream

green colored copy paper--1 ream

colored copy paper--2 reams

white copy paper--1 box

laser printer cartridge--2-3

file folders--1 box

The copy paper, file folders and brads are used mostly for lapbooks. This is a list of what I like to have on hand at the beginning of the year or that I know we will use over the course of a year. Sometimes we have leftovers and my shopping list does not include all those things every year. For example--I am done buying crayons.

:001_smile:

My poor MIL is still sad that she can't buy them new lunchboxes every year for school (we have them, but they last forever since we use them once or twice a month) so I've suggested she can buy pencils and art supplies. After that our supplies come from either Office Max (because it's closest to our house) or anywhere else I see something on sale that we use. Our printer/copier gets a weekly workout so I try to have lots of paper and extra printer ink. And bikes for PE :)

Our most used school supply is our pencil sharpener, electric and plugged in right in the kitchen. We tried mechanical pencils but couldn't keep them from breaking all of the time.

What happens to the pencils? Seriously?

:iagree: :lol: The pencils must reside with the missing socks that disappear in the the wash.

Shop at the before school starts sales and then wait a few weeks. Go back to a big box supply store and they usually have their leftover stock reduced to almost nothing. Last year, I scored Elmer's white glue for 5 cents a bottle. Got 20 bottles of that stuff and it has kept me from *&^(^%* more than a few times when the tops get all stopped up.

I was going to say pencils, but that seems a bit redundant :lol:

As for what becomes of them, I suspect somebody in my house eats pencils and erasers. Doesn't matter how many I buy, they disappear. I now have a new plan - the kids will each get one set of colored pencils and a few plain ones, an eraser and a sharpener, and a pencil case to keep it all in. Maybe if each person is responsible for her/his own, they'll be a bit more careful?

I was going to say pencils, but that seems a bit redundant :lol:

As for what becomes of them, I suspect somebody in my house eats pencils and erasers. Doesn't matter how many I buy, they disappear. I now have a new plan - the kids will each get one set of colored pencils and a few plain ones, an eraser and a sharpener, and a pencil case to keep it all in. Maybe if each person is responsible for her/his own, they'll be a bit more careful?

Tried that this year. The pencil cases, with contents, went MIA. *sigh*

Color code! It is my mantra. Then you will know who is losing what. :D

We use:

3 hole punch

tape

digital camera

printer

ink

computer paper

construction paper

pens

pampered chef utensil caddy

erasers

a good bag to carry schoolbooks in for when we are on the go

All of these are color coded:

3 ring binders

boxes for everyone's supplies

staplers

pencils

scissors

crayons (a colored sticker taped on)

colored pencils (again, colored sticker)

Color code! It is my mantra. Then you will know who is losing what. :D

BTDT. We still go through cases of pencils. If we do one thing this coming year it's going to be learning to take care of our pencils :lol:

Okay so Im attempting to make a list of supplies that we will need our first year HS'ing..

Im wondering what you all keep on hand ?

:D

*Colored Pencils! (We use them instead of crayons)

*Pencils

*Pencil top erasers...we go through a ton of them.

*Protractor-(3rd grade math)

*Ruler

*Tape...lots of tape

*Post-it notes (I use them for everything including bookmarks because they don't slip)

*Glue sticks

*Printer paper

*lined paper

*Colored paper clips are great for sorting and using as manipulatives for early math skills. M&M's work too. :lol:

I now have a new plan - the kids will each get one set of colored pencils and a few plain ones, an eraser and a sharpener, and a pencil case to keep it all in. Maybe if each person is responsible for her/his own, they'll be a bit more careful?

:lol: Hahahahahaha! :lol: Hoohoohoohoohoo! :lol: Hehehehehehehe! :lol:

Just kidding (sort of). ;)

We tried that. The pencils still disappeared, but at least I knew who to yell at. Everyone. LOL (Though I don't really yell. I should have said I know who to heave a heavy sigh at.) But they do love their pencil boxes, and once in a while the boxes actually have pencils and scissors and glue in them.

Cat

You've gotten great advice. Just wanted to add that we love our laser printer. We had an inkjet previously and it ran out of ink all.the.time! We switched to a laser printer (monochrome, not color) and the toner cartridge lasted us for 2 years even with daily printing!! It's been so nice to be able to print freely without having to worry about ink levels. :)

Printer/Copier. I use it daily (and then some). Otherwise pencils, paper, scissors... Colored pencils are used regularly too, and I find it worthwhile to buy decent ones. Crayola and Prang are okay for school use, but when it comes to drawing, we want Prismacolors (or other higher end pencils). Rose Art pencils are good for taking up space in landfills.

Okay so Im attempting to make a list of supplies that we will need our first year HS'ing..

Im wondering what you all keep on hand ?

:D

I make sure I have plenty of glue sticks, watercolor markers, Sharpies, freezer paper (great for making timelines and also for painting and other art projects), mechanical pencils, twist up crayons (the fine point ones are great for marking maps), Expo markers and a lap-size dry erase board, stapler & staples, masking tape, carpenter's tape, clear tape, paper clips, pushpins, loose-leaf paper, spiral notebooks, folders/binders, ruler, yardstick and/or meterstick, protractor, compass, construction paper, file folders, colored pens (red, green, purple, etc.), hole puncher, 3-hole punch, loose-leaf paper reinforcements, variety of manipulatives for math (tangrams, pentominoes, dominoes, unifix cubes, cuisenaire rods, and LOTS more), a good dictionary & thesaurus & atlas (appropriate for your child's age/grade level), globe or wall map, post-it notes in various sizes, regular AND zig-zag & scallop craft scissors, a variety of craft items (craft sticks, pom poms, wiggly eyes, sequins, pipe cleaners, brads/paper fasteners, stickers, stencils, craft paint, empty egg cartons--these make great paint cups), crayons, etc. I also keep a few empty 2-liter bottles (for science experiments) and various sizes of peanut butter jars (for storage, experiments. etc.).

Other items that I have found to be indispensible in our homeschool are my printer & extra ink cartridges, a computer with internet access & Microsoft Word, and my DirecTv DVR--I record programs on many topics, including history, art, music, literature, science, and religion. We also have a Netflix membership, and we sometimes get DVD's of movie adaptations of books we've read in our literature studies.

Edited by ereks mom

I found a cheap way to get junky pencils. The day after Valentine's Day, go to Kmart, Walmart, Target, etc... and get the packs of valentine's that come with pencils. I think I got 10 packs for .25-.50 cents each and they had 24 pencils in them. My guys love the Star Wars, Cars, Bakugan pencils.

Tape is an issue in our house! If I buy it, they will use it. Immediately!!! It doesn't last a day. I don't even buy string or allow it in the house. They will create spider webs throughout the house. It might looks "cool," but I always forget about it and fall down.