Menu

Female information help needed please

My dd wants to start using tampons. She has had her period for about four months now and has been using pads. I am not sure if there is a reason to wait or not. If there is not a good reason to wait, then which tampons are best (aren't they linked to some health problems?) and how to best teach her to use them.

I know I sound like an idiot but I really do not know. My mother NEVER talked to me about anything and I just always used pads.

Tampons can VERY rarely be connected with Toxic Shock Syndrome, if that's the medical condition you're thinking of. When I was a teen, I started using tampons almost immediately, as they were less messy than pads. These days, I use a keeper, which is much cheaper in the long run and more comfy. I don't think there's any reason your dd shouldn't use the tampons, if she wants to. There will be a bit of a learning curve, but it won't take long for her to get the hang of it. Good luck!!:grouphug:

This is not often talked about, and certainly not included in packaging inserts, but disposable tampons (and pads) can lead to much heavier and more painful periods for many women. There are a lot of wonderful reusable products out there, if you're open to exploring other options.

I have personally found Sea Pearls to be absolutely amazing, and highly recommend them in place of tampons. I know other people that swear by the Diva Cup and the Keeper.

This is not often talked about, and certainly not included in packaging inserts, but disposable tampons (and pads) can lead to much heavier and more painful periods for many women. There are a lot of wonderful reusable products out there, if you're open to exploring other options.

I have personally found Sea Pearls to be absolutely amazing, and highly recommend them in place of tampons. I know other people that swear by the Diva Cup and the Keeper.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but the Sea Pearls are not available in the US. At least not according to this page.

The theory about tampons leading to heavier and more painful periods started years ago when people claimed that tampon manufacturers put ingredients into tampons to increase blood flow.

I have used tampons, pads, the Keeper, the Instead cups and the Diva cup. I have seen no evidence of it and have read no credible evidence of such.

To teach how to use a tampon: get a transparent cylinder. Fill cylinder halfway with coloured liquid. Unwrap tampon (or tell her to) and put tampon into cylinder. Make sure you tell her that the vagina does not go straight up toward your navel, but instead angles back toward your spine. Insert tampon, remove applicator.

There ya go!

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

Similar to the Keeper linked above, I use a Divacup exclusively. What I like about it:

+ No risk of TSS

+ Reduces the waste of pads and tampons to the environment

+ I can wear it for 12 hours

+ Unlike the Keeper, it's made from medical grade silicone so there's no risk of developing a latex allergy

+ It lasts for 10 Years

+ I never have to worry about having to run to the store for more pads or tampons

+ The Divacup stays where it's supposed to, unlike tampons that seem to "travel" after three hours resulting in discomfort or leaks

+ I save about $120 per year that I would have spent on pads or tampons

I love my Divacup so much that every year, I offer to buy one for a relative or friend. It's just that awesome. This will be my sixth year using one. :)

P.S. Risk of TSS with tampons is increased when the tampon is inserted for too long. When I was a young girl, I'd leave those suckers in for much longer than the prescribed 4 - 6 hours because I just forgot or was too lazy to change it. I've talked to several other women who had the same experience. I wish someone had told me that I was putting myself at risk! Be sure to stress that point with your daughter if she decides to use tampons.

The theory about tampons leading to heavier and more painful periods started years ago when people claimed that tampon manufacturers put ingredients into tampons to increase blood flow.

I have used tampons, pads, the Keeper, the Instead cups and the Diva cup. I have seen no evidence of it and have read no credible evidence of such.

Agreed. There are many reasons a woman may choose whether to wear tampons or not -- comfort, the environment, etc. -- but I have seen no evidence that tampons are bad for your health in any way. Let's try not to spread false information based on wild claims without checking the facts first.

I know I sound like an idiot but I really do not know. My mother NEVER talked to me about anything and I just always used pads.

Totally not IMHO, I also prefer pads and don't know anything other than what I learned in health about tampons (many many years ago).

As others have mentioned they're related to all sorts of nastiness but if she really wants to just make sure that you pound it into her head that she must replace it every couple of hours and that she NEVER keeps them in overnight...

My daughter had a friend who got her period and had it on her Bar Mitzvah so her mother gave her a crash course in how to use tampons.

She said use a banana to demonstrate how a tampon works.

We have a female pediatrician and she was excellent at discussing using tampons with my daughter.

Agreed. There are many reasons a woman may choose whether to wear tampons or not -- comfort, the environment, etc. -- but I have seen no evidence that tampons are bad for your health in any way. Let's try not to spread false information based on wild claims without checking the facts first.

I'm not spreading false information. I specifically said this *is not* listed in package inserts as a side effect of the products. It is, however, my own true experience and something that I have heard other women say has been the case for them as well. Switching to cloth from disposable products has been a big deal for me. It's not a "wild claim" just because it's outside someone else's personal experience, or not backed by a study funded by.... someone with lots of money to waste and nothing to gain. (??)

Edited by MelanieM

(before my hysterectomy), use the Sea Pearls as well and I LOVE them! My dd loves them also. They are SO much more comfortable than tampons and if you don't position them just right it doesn't feel like you're ripping your insides out to take them out and reinsert (sorry, but a dry tampon just does that to a person).

That being said, I'm not sure a young girl who is not even familiar with tampon use would be comfortable going the direction of non-disposable items. As wonderful as they are, they do require a bit more direct contact (as in reaching in and removing versus pulling by a string), and are a bit messier because of that.

My recommendation would be to create the demo described above, OR discuss the package insert with the various insertion techniques and positions.

I would also recommend starting with the junior tampons in the beginning along with a mini pad. That way she can see about her flow without the agony of removing a larger slender tampon if she doesn't have enough flow to saturate it. Once she is comfortable using them and sees how things go, she could go to the slender if needed. We always keep juniors around for my girls' light flow days anyway - they are just right for that.

I'm sorry for my graphic sounding descriptions - just not sure of any other way to word this...

Oh, speaking of pain when removing....(StaceyinLA reminded me of this)

If she needs to take a tampon out and it isn't saturated suggest that she sit in a bathtub. (or JUST TAKE A BATH!) The tampon will become saturated with water and will make removal easy and painless!

Also, they are fine to use overnight. I do and so do most people I know. (Well, most FEMALE people I know!) We've never had any problems.

Much of the anti-tampon rhetoric, I believe, is still being bandied about by women who wish to further the notion of "if you use tampons then you are no longer a virgin". (NOT talking about pp's on this thread, talking about LOL's at church/whathaveyou who shun the use of tampons.)

From what I remember...

Tampax brand elongate as they saturate, which does cause cramping with some girls and women because it pushes against the cervix.

Playtex brand blossom out, kind of like a parachute.

OB brand parachute out, however there is no applicator.

Not sure about other brands, but the way the tampons expand when they saturate might make a huge difference in comfort. Another poster suggested buying several types...if you do, just throw one of each in some water and you can see how it expands.

A box of tampons will come with directions, including illustrations. It may be easier for her to try it standing, with one foot propped up on the side of the tub or the closed toilet lid. She can also use a water-based lubricant to make insertion easier.

I've been using tampons since I was twelve and I have *always* had a light flow. Any associations with heavy bleeding are going to be anecdotal.

I've seen unbleached tampons at the health food store if you are interested in avoiding dioxins (I've not tried them, just throwing it out there).

Tampax and Playtex expand differently. You might get a small box of each for your daughter to try.

The risk of TSS is associated with prolonged wear of a tampon. You have to change them every 4 to 6 hours.

A friend of mine with all daughters said she doesn't let them start using tampons until they've been to gyn, not to check for problems necessarily, but to break the hy*en (word that I don't know if I'm allowed to type it).

My dd isn't interested. Her decision not mine.

I was idealistic about my daughter waiting a year or so after starting before using tampons. It turned out it started on a 10 day camp and her best friend just gave her tampons, so there went that little dream. In the end...no big deal.

I buy cotton tampons, I buy organic when I can....but I dont try and control what she uses. She wants to use tampons mostly- she has pads for back up.

For an active teen, tampons are incredibly practical, especially during summer and swimming- I wouldnt want to take that away from my dd. Having perids can be hard enough without added restrictions.

My girls all used pads at first, and then switched over to tampons during summer and swimming. I would get them the junior size plastic ones to start with. They are very slim, and the plastic is much easier to insert than the cardboard when you are first learning. After they have mastered it, I get the cardboard, biodegradable ones.

I drew a diagram for the girls on how to insert it. That seemed to help a lot. It took them a couple of tries or even a couple of days, but eventually they got it. :)

And of course stress that they should change them often. I don't think you need to get up during the night to change them (unless you need to, of course), but then you should first thing in the morning.

I don't know anything about gynos breaking hymens. Do they do that? I've never heard of it. :confused:

I used tampons for a few years with an intact hymen. Maybe it was only partially intact? I don't know.

I don't think tampons have anything to do with breaking the hymen! I was most definitely a virgin until my wedding night, and I used a tampon with no problems whatsoever up until that point! I had seen a gyn for appointments for a few years before I was married, and he never broke anything either. I've never heard of this! I think its an urban legend type thing.

Mine have all three started using them within a couple of days of their first period (swimmers who are not willing to miss practice for such a silly little thing). I had several styles to allow them to choose/try. They ALL could not stand OB which I thought would be best for a novice user. They ALL went with a plastic applicator in the smallest size. It has a rounded end and is smooth and more gentle when inserting. After a couple of cycles, they all three settled in with Tampax Sports. It is the one they have stuck with. Pretty much, they will need to figure it out on their own. Past aiming for the small of the back, every girl is built a little differently and has to figure it out on her own. If she gets it halfway in and can't get it out, a quick trip to the tub or shower to get it wet for easier removal will do the trick.

I used OB tampons for a long time--the lack of applicator actually made it easier for me to insert them, and I liked the size of them (and the sideways expansion).

I do want dd to use a pad for at least a while, as I want her to become familiar with her flow--see how it changes, and see how her body works. But after she's had her period for a while (like Peela said), I'll let her switch to tampons.

Some girls don't like the OB kind, because they get a little squeamish.

I do like Stacey's idea of a minipad and a slim tampon, although the minipads sometimes bunch up funny, ime.

I'm getting ready for "the talk" this next week, and so I appreciate this whole thread!:001_smile:

I don't think tampons have anything to do with breaking the hymen! I was most definitely a virgin until my wedding night, and I used a tampon with no problems whatsoever up until that point! I had seen a gyn for appointments for a few years before I was married, and he never broke anything either. I've never heard of this! I think its an urban legend type thing.

Yes, it is an urban legend.

FTR, I started out with OB tampons and I now find applicators to be very confusing and hard to use! Also, I like that OB's are much easier to fit into a pocket. I once had an old Altoid tin at work (the mini tin) and had a few OB tampons in it. A male coworker was rootingthrough my desk for something and found it and thought "Woo-hoo! A mint!" and stared in disbelief at what was inside. He said "WHAT IS THAT?!" I simply replied, "not a mint". ;)

A friend of mine with all daughters said she doesn't let them start using tampons until they've been to gyn, not to check for problems necessarily, but to break the hy*en (word that I don't know if I'm allowed to type it).

My dd isn't interested. Her decision not mine.

:confused::confused:

There is no need for this. It also, um, complicates things psychologically.

Similar to the Keeper linked above, I use a Divacup exclusively.

Me, too. Not sure how it will go for my dd, but I'm going to offer her the choice. It takes a bit of practice, but I love it now, and I love that I'm not paying any more, don't have to remember 'supplies' as I run out the door, and not creating further waste.:001_smile:

I remember struggling to learn how to use them, and second the advice to use plastic applicators and warn her that the vagina slants backward. Also a little KY jelly or similar water-based lubricant on the applicator will probably help make insertion more comfortable when she is nervous and inexperienced.

It is awkward and painful to break the hymen on your own, so I am sure that is one reason why my friend takes her daughters to the gynecologist. For her that is the way to do things, for them it is what they feel is necessary. It's not making a psychological issue out of it for them.

;)If you've used tampons and haven't had sex, guess what? It's broken.

It is awkward and painful to break the hymen on your own, so I am sure that is one reason why my friend takes her daughters to the gynecologist. For her that is the way to do things, for them it is what they feel is necessary. It's not making a psychological issue out of it for them.

No, it's not. Wherever you got your information: it's wrong. With all due respect.

Um. No. A simple google search confirms otherwise.

I don't know how to share about the rest, but focus on a women's "hymen" (and the attached emotion, expectation and myths) can and often does create issues.

I am amazed and appalled that a Dr. has not educated your friend and her daughters on this subject! :confused:

I don't know of any reason to wait and I surely wish my mother had let me use tampons from the beginning. However, you can check with your health care provider to make sure there is not a reason young girls should not use them. I've never heard of any.

Tampons are rarely associated with toxic shock syndrome. Typically, that only happens when the tampon has been worn for too long a time. Though I wore them at night for years, I eventually did stop when I really reviewed the safety information. Your dd is not going to get up in the middle of the night to change a tampon, but will end up sleeping about twice as long as one should be in the body. Taking the tampon out at night allows the body's natural environment to reassert itself.

Use the lightest absorbency that will do the trick. If there is too much absorbency, it hurts to take the tampon out and the tampon is soaking up the vagina's natural lubricants/protection not the menstrual flow. (I believe that this might also be a factor in TSS, but all you have to do is read the package insert. All the info is there.)

I think my inclination would be to encourage a menstual cup over tampons, at any age its a learning curve no matter what you choose so may as well get it over and done with. I personally found disposable menstrual products really stressful. The reusable options are a lot easier in my opinion. There is a really good livejournal site with lots of info about reusables, lots of teens have posted on it.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/tag/age

Well this thread has been enlightening. I had never heard of the Sea Pearl and now am considering it. But just my two cents, if she wants tampons send her in the bathroom with a box and the instructions generally have a diagram and talk about TSS. As far as which one, I like OB. At her age I was just determined because I wanted to go swimming, etc.

I have heard of tampons causing disease, leading to heavier and more painful periods, but I have never heard disposable pads causing heavier and more painful periods. I wonder how. Do you have any links for me? Thanks.:001_smile:

I have heard of tampons causing disease, leading to heavier and more painful periods, but I have never heard disposable pads causing heavier and more painful periods. I wonder how. Do you have any links for me? Thanks.:001_smile:

(BTW...YOU HAVE THE BEST NAME!!!) :hurray:

But I've heard pads are safer than disposable diapers....

I use a diva and mama cloth liners for lighter days. I just prefer them, and it does seem like I have a lighter flow since switching from tampons and liners, but I have nothing to base that on factually. Just chiming in. :D

As others have said, there is no reason for that sort of gynecological involvement before the use of tampons. People can and do use them without breaking the hymen. Now it could also be broken during the use, but that is not a given at all. I had a doctor, who questioned me thoroughly about "activity" and tampon use, before I got married. If he had just believed me and done a quick check, he could have saved a lot of time. It was as though he thought I didn't understand him and kept trying to get the "truth" out of me. Well, I had not been "active" and had used tampons and had been involved in sports and everything was still there. He acted so strange about it, like he wanted to through a party for me that it felt rather weird.

I don't really have an opinion on this topic either way (although I did purchase organic cotton pads for after the birth of my most recent child), but as you requested, here is a link to an article that discusses some of the risks some people believe are associated with disposable pads.

http://www.aurafem.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&Itemid=144

It is awkward and painful to break the hymen on your own, so I am sure that is one reason why my friend takes her daughters to the gynecologist. For her that is the way to do things, for them it is what they feel is necessary.

Um. I don't understand this. I must be missing something. Is there a reason that one would want one's gynecologist to break her / her daughter's hymen? Is there some health problem associated with being "intact"?

The only time I ever heard about anyone going to a gynecologist for anything close to this was a friend's sister who hadn't gotten her period by age 16 or 17. Otherwise I don't understand the point, at ALL.

The only thing I have to add is if she complains at all it is uncomfortable - please take her seriously. My mom thought it was all in my head. At my first gyn appointment I was informed I had a retroverted uterus. It's not that uncommon and it can cause discomfort with tampons. I felt like such a misfit with my girlfriends in high school and never had a good answer to give. I've never been able to wear them and for years I thought it was all some weird problem I alone had.