Menu

What are you reading? What are you reading aloud?

I love these posts and haven't seen any in awhile. Hope I'm not duplicating any current threads. So what is being read in your house right now?

I'm reading The Book Thief which I've seen recommended everywhere. I'm only about 100 pages in and it's interesting. I can't make a judgement call yet because I'm not hooked but it's an easy read. The writing style is very different too.

DH is reading All Quiet on the Western Front which I read a few weeks ago. He's just starting it. I loved it though. It's not happy but so facinating I couldn't put it down.

Our current read aloud is Dr. Doolittle.

Me: AW Tozer, Knowledge of the Holy. Awesome. Also have a David Baldacci mystery going, sort of fluffy and not holding my interest.

Reading aloud to my 5yodd: GC Warner, The Caboose Mystery (Boxcar Children Series)

DS15: John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life; just finished a history of a certain company/battle of the Korean War, getting to read a pile of dystopian literature together with me

The other kids have been deeply ingrained in school and extracurriculars, but we are now breaking for the summer and the reading lists will get more attention.

Is fluff allowed in this thread? :lol:

I just finished reading The Host, by Stephenie Meyer, and got sucked into it just like I did with the Twilight Saga. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one day.

Our current read-aloud is Carry On Mr. Bowditch.

We're reading a whole bunch of library books on ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. I'm hoping to do ancients all summer in prep for starting CC this fall - which starts at 800 AD. I'm hoping to keep if fun, lots of hands on activiites and books, art projects, and museum trips. DH wants to mummify a chicken.

I'm reading a book I got from the library called The Balanced Plate in the hopes that it will give me more information on good food choices and some recipes. I just got a message that the library also has Sneaky Chef waiting for me, so my goal is to do some study over the next couple of weeks on what I can feed my family THAT THEY WILL EAT.:glare:

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale. Very good and not at all what I expected.

I am reading Inspector Maigret detective books and the last book by Robert Parker (that one is a very quick read). Just read the latest Botswana mystery books by Alexander McCall Smith last night.

I don't normally read aloud since my youngest is 13 but I am making an exception starting today. I will skim and read aloud BJU Life Sciences to her so we can actually get through this.

I need to reread Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man to discuss with oldest dd.

...about it. I've just started it, and I'm not sure how I'm going to like it. So far, I find it a bit disturbing.

As a read-aloud, we've finally taken the plunge and begun to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone together as a family. We wanted to read it and discuss it together, and see what the hoopla was/is all about.

Me: Gallileo's Daughter by Dave Sobel, finishing up History of the Ancient World by Susan Bauer, Intelligent Design by William Dembski and Chestnut King by NC Wilson. I cannot only read one book at a time :)

Our Read Alouds are: In Search of the Source by Neil Anderson, In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord, and The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I just finished The Book Thief. I can't say it was one of my favorites, but I understand all the hype.

Currently reading The Key by Patricia Wentworth.

Ds 16's assigned reader: Mere Christianity.

Read alouds:

Daughter of the Mountains

Pinnochio

I just finished The Book Thief. I can't say it was one of my favorites, but I understand all the hype.

I'm glad you said this because it's how I'm feeling. I can see why it was really popular but I haven't been completely grabbed by it yet. I'll finish it but I'm not up to 5 o'clock in the morning reading like I have been with other books.

We are listening to The Railway Children in the car - does that count?

At home we are reading fairy tales lately.

I just finished Thomas Sowell's Black Rednecks and White Liberals. Great essays on economics, race and history.

HS related:Just finished rereading For the Children's Sake and picked up Liping Ma's book on teaching math from the library.

Lighter fare includes The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax and N.D. Wilson's The Chestnut King.

DH is reading Tim Keller's Counterfeit Gods. Fabulous book!

Just finished The Book Thief, which just about broke my heart. I wasn't aware of the subject matter before diving in to the book and that last chapter pretty much did me in. :crying:

Completed The Warded Man and LOVED it, so I'm now reading its sequel, The Desert Spear. If you enjoy fantasy novels... these are very intriguing.

And, I'm pages away from finishing Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games. I already have the third book on pre-order at Amazon and canNOT wait. These books are addictive!!!!

I also just finished Hush, Hush which was delightfully awful (I enjoyed it for it's pure cheese factor, though). A not very well written Twilight wannabe. And sort of a waste of an amazing book cover design. :tongue_smilie:

We aren't doing any read alouds. (Well, we're starting The Story of Ping with ds for FIAR - does that count?) I don't do read alouds very well. We'll sometimes listen to an audio book, but reading aloud ALWAYS puts me to sleep. So, it doesn't work well if I'M the one reading (zzzzzz) and it's worse (as well as rude and insulting) if the KIDS are doing the reading, lol.

Edited by orangearrow

Read-aloud: Robin Hood -Pyle version.

Ds is reading: Crispin, Cross of Lead - Avi

I'm reading: The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan (lovin' it!)

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

The Aeneid - Virgil (slowly working through)

I just finished Aristotle for Everybody by Adler and highly recommend it.

I love these posts and haven't seen any in awhile. Hope I'm not duplicating any current threads. So what is being read in your house right now?

I'm reading The Book Thief which I've seen recommended everywhere. I'm only about 100 pages in and it's interesting. I can't make a judgement call yet because I'm not hooked but it's an easy read. The writing style is very different too.

DH is reading All Quiet on the Western Front which I read a few weeks ago. He's just starting it. I loved it though. It's not happy but so facinating I couldn't put it down.

Our current read aloud is Dr. Doolittle.

I LOVED The Book Thief!!

Me: Harry Potter and the Chan=mber of Secrets (I needed a brainless book while I sort out next years curr. choices.

Aloud: The Magicians Nephew by CS Lewis and Justin Morgan had a Horse

Ds 15: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1

DD 12: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (hot off the presses)

DS 7: How to Eat Fried Worms

DS 6: We Discover (CLE primer 4) and various step ahead books.

~~Faithe

Theoretically, I'm reading about 8 books. What that really means is that I'm not reading anything.

For read-alouds, we're reading Peter Pan, Just So Stories, Aesop's Fables, poetry, Burgess Bird Book, Catherine Vos' Bible story book. A little most days. Probably only Just So Stories today 'cause we slept in and played this morning.

I'm currently reading the "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollen. I am on a huge food kick, where it comes from, what is good for you, the environmental impacts it has, etc.

I am also reading "Why Gender Matters" by Leonard Sax. It scientifically explains some of the differences between males and females and how to best deal with those differences. I haven't made it to the discipline section but I've heard to ignore it or take it with a grain of salt. Very interesting though!

Marisa

I'm reading "Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide". I'm also re-reading "Eat to Live".

Our current read-aloud (almost finished) is "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon", which is a lovely little adventure book that contains Chinese folklore & some lovely illustrations.

1269754458-61pt8ahqjvl.jpgfruitfulmountain1.jpg

My dc are begging me to start "Wintersmith" next (3rd book in Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series).

I'm reading The Man Who Loved China, and All the Tea in China (story of the British sending a spy/thief into China to steal tea plants to start plantations in British India).

Dd 14 is reading four different Terry Pratchett books in a quest to read his entire body of work in about the next two months.

Read alouds include History of US and The Numbers Game.

Me: I've just finished The Tenderness of Wolves, looking for something new to read.

Read-Aloud: Just finished The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, starting The Eagle of the Ninth (and hoping I like it!).

Ds, 9: Atticus of Rome

Ds, 7: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Ds, 5: Bob books :) My last beginning reader! :crying:

Cat

I just recently finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris [tenth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series that she writes - I *love* this series and ran right out to get it when it was released on May 4th] and then this random suspense thing called The Next Accident by Lisa Gardner, which I found at a thrift shop - didn't realize though, that it's part of a series...oops. :tongue_smilie:

Haven't got a book going right at this second, but I prolly will soon enough...I have stuff around here that I keep meaning to read...

Current read aloud with the kids: The Witch of Blackbird Pond

dd13's own spare-time reading: somewhere in the Twilight series, for probably the tenth time. :laugh:

ds11 doesn't read on his own [special needs] - but he always enjoys our read alouds. :)

Daughter's reading Stephen King's Insomnia, and son's reading HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban; they both just finished some "serious" reading.

We're reading aloud My Family and Other Animals and loving it.

I don't have a book right now, and feel very... odd.

Me: Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka & The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

DS: Magic Treehouse #24: Earthquake in the Early Morning AGAIN...

Read-aloud: Just finished Aesop's Fables and we'll begin Mr. Popper's Penguins tonight.

I am reading The Time-traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century, Mortimer.

Ds is currently reading various children's editions of Shakespeare's works, books about Shakespeare and the Globe, etc.

I am reading aloud from Lamb's version of Shakespeare; The King's Fifth, O'Dell; and The Perilous Gard, Pope.....

Right now I'm reading Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield. It's on my oldest's reading list for next year. I'm not familiar with all the stories in it so I'm trying to get a headstart.

Current read alouds are Charlotte's Web for the little ones, and Eragon for the older two. Usually we pick one in the middle of the road for everyone, but the big kids' and hub's top pick (Eragon) is a bit much for the younger crew.

My upstairs book is I, Elizbeth by Rosalind Miles. My downstairs book is Three Cups of Tea which I'm re-reading.

Our current read alouds, aside from picture books, are one of the Bunnicula books and The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. I like the Penderwicks a lot.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler
spelling

I'm reading Hold on to Your Kids - Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers. Excellent book.

DS is reading Surprise Island (second in The Boxcar Children) as well as Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House #10).

Re-aloud at night is The Pirate Uncle.

Mom is reading Bleak House by Dickens. I am *determined* to make it through this one on summer break.

I love Bleak House! A truly fascinating story in typical Dickensian style.

I'm re-reading The Dark is Rising because I was enthralled by the whole series and I haven't revisited them since I was about 14.

I'm reading aloud The Wizard of Oz.

I am reading The Time-traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century, Mortimer.

I'm reading this, too!! I'm actually almost to the last chapter;I'm reading about the jousting tournaments right now -egads! were people extra crazy back then or what?

If you see this post, let me know what you think of it!

I love these threads!

I am currently reading In Like Flynn by Rhys Bouwen, The Six Great Ideas by Mortimer Adler, Disciplined By Grace by Jerry Bridges and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Our read alouds are: Oliver Twist (w. oldest,) Winds in the Willows (with middle child,) The BFG (w. the youngest,) By the Great Horn Spoon and Listening for the Lions (family read alouds.)