Menu

What books would you recommend to a new hser (NOT curriculum)?

There have been a few books mentioned here lately that I was totally clueless about. Like Cathy Duffy's book that helps you learn your child learning style and your teaching style. Also, I had NO idea that there was The Well Trained Mind book before I joined this forum. I was directed here because it was a very active hsing board, not by anyone trying to get me into classical educating. I really would like to read it now! Anyways, things like Discovering Your Child's Learning Style and such. TIA!

Beside WTM, I would encourage a new hs'er to pick up a book from a more relaxed standpoint - any of Linda Dobson's books would be a good fit, particularly The Homeschooling Handbook or The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child. I also enjoyed reading Rebecca Rupp's books when we were first considering homeschooling.

The Original Homeschooling Series by Charlotte Mason -- you can get the books (there are 6 in the series), and it can also be found online here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html

For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley

A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Sally Clarkson

Teaching the Trivium by Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn

Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell

I love any book by Carol Barnier. Her first book is called How To Get Your Child Off The Refrigerator And On To Learning. It's wonderful for someone with a wiggly guy that scorns the thought of getting "into the box", like my 6 year old.

I've enjoyed these: (in addition to WTM)

And the Skylark Sings With Me - Adventures in Homeschooling and Community-Based Education (David H. Albert)

Dumbing Us Down - The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (John Taylor Gatto)

Charlotte Mason Companion (Karen Andreola)

A Thomas Jefferson Education (Oliver Van DeMille)

Homeschooling for Excellence (Colfax)

Maria Montessori's books

Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days by Nancy Lande. Not a How-To book; simply a look into a day in the life of 30 different homeschool families. Great examples of how there are multiple ways to homeschool, with each family having their own unique school experience.

My favorites:

For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay...My biggest paradigm shift for what "education" is, or can be, resulted from reading this book.

The Well-Trained Mind by SWB

100 Top Picks by Cathy Duffy

Others I enjoyed:

Educating the Whole-Hearted Child by Clarkson

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully, Grades 4-8 by Ruth Beechick

Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson

A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

I know you didn't want curriculum, but I learned a lot about the writing process by reading "Writing With Ease: Strong Fundamentals". It really did change my perspective on how to teach my children how to write and how important narration is in the writing process.

Not about homeschooling, but one of the most valuable things I ever read as far as improving my homeschool goes is Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics.

:iagree:

That was what I was going to add, so I'll just second. It really explains how and why to teach math understanding and not just "ours is not to wonder why, just invert and multiply."

So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Welchel (Best book I've found for giving a starting point for researching homeschooling. I bought a copy just to loan out.)

Five Love Languages of Children by Chapman

Last Child in the Woods by Louv

The Well Trained Mind by Wise/Bauer

Endangered Minds and Failure to Connect by Healy

Some of these are homeschool books and some of them just inspire me to do better with my kids.

Also:

Understood Betsy

The Year of Miss Agnes

Pocketful of Pinecones

These last three just remind me of how wonderful kids really can be and how much of a joy it is to be entrusted with teaching them about the world.

So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Welchel (Best book I've found for giving a starting point for researching homeschooling. I bought a copy just to loan out.)

Also:

Understood Betsy

The Year of Miss Agnes

Pocketful of Pinecones

These last three just remind me of how wonderful kids really can be and how much of a joy it is to be entrusted with teaching them about the world.

I wholeheartedly agree with these. Understood Betsy is the book which helped me to *see* the way the Montessori method would be used at home, and also made me very aware of how I needed to implement those things in our homeschool more.

For me--

The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

Marva Collins' Way by Marva Collins

I know these three books are all over the spectrum, but I have gleaned ideas from them and enjoyed every single page. Highly recommended!

Not about homeschooling, but one of the most valuable things I ever read as far as improving my homeschool goes is Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics.

Many of the books recommend on "homeschooling" I'd approach with great caution (given the extremism of some of the authors), but this work is a "must read" IMO.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Many of the books recommend on "homeschooling" I'd approach with great caution (given the extremism of some of the authors), but this work is a "must read" IMO.

Bill

I keep seeing this book recommended over and over, but a lot of people comment that it is a "read-one-time" type book. Our library doesn't have it, nor does the nearest big city. Is it really worth spending the money to buy from Amazon ($28)?

I keep seeing this book recommended over and over, but a lot of people comment that it is a "read-one-time" type book. Our library doesn't have it, nor does the nearest big city. Is it really worth spending the money to buy from Amazon ($28)?

I may have been the one who suggested it can be a "library book". I've checked it out multiple times.

But it is worth owning, and when I read (as I do) about forum members who've marked their copies up with notes, and I think: Why don't I have my own copy?

And I looked in the past few days and saw many of the original version for around $10, and some for $8. It is certainly worth having.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley

A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison

Todd Wilson's cartoon books on homeschooling. You have to have a sense of humor in this homeschooling life.

-crystal

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe and Help, I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom, are HILARIOUS!

Bill

I agree with Bill on approaching/ recommending books with caution. When I started homeschooling, everyone loaned me all of the Maxwell books, the Clarkson books and Mary Pride. They made me feel inadequate and really hindered me in teaching my children the way they needed to be taught. The Clarksons also have some really strong opinions on curriculum, and basically insinuate if you use X, you're ruining your child. Mary Pride sprinkles a lot of other doctrine into her books that I'm not aligned with, as do the Maxwells. Now, when new moms ask me what to read, I give them neutral, informative suggestions. TWTM, A Charlotte Mason Education, etc. Then, if they WANT Christian encouragement, I recommend Todd Wilson.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I'm a John Taylor Gatto fan. I really enjoyed:

The Underground History of American Education and ...

Weapons of Mass Instruction

They are more focussed on why you don't want your child in school, rather than why you'd want to homeschool but I found them very helpful as reminders of why I chose to homeschool (certain days the reason can elude me! ;) )

And I looked in the past few days and saw many of the original version for around $10, and some for $8. It is certainly worth having.

Bill

Has anybody seen both the original version & the new version? Are they significantly different? If so, which would you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I third or fourth home learning year by year by Rupp. Also the everything homeschooling book by Linda Dobson. That one helped me to understand the different theories, and what spoke to me. The read aloud handbook is good, but also Honey for a child's heart that I saw someone else recommended. It is wonderful.

Well Trained Mind ( SWB, of course):)

Latin Centered Curriculum (Campbell)

Einstein Never Used Flashcards (sorry, can't remember the authors)

The Knowledge Deficit (Hirsch)

Failure to Connect (Healy)

Why Gender Matters (Sax)

The last four books have helped me understand more about learning in general, and have helped how I teach; the top two have helped with the what to teach and when.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Thirding the recommendation for Nancy Lande's Homeschooling: A Patchwork for Days, as well as her follow-up book, Homeschool Open House.

I also recently read and enjoyed Love in the Time of Homeschooling, by Laura Brodie, which is about a mother and daughter who homeschooled for one 'sabbatical' fifth grade year. I found it a rather more balanced look at homeschooling than many other books on the subject, which tend to be too booster-ish for my taste.

WTM, of course!

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola. I wish I had read this years ago!

Homeschooling Methods:Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles by Paul and Gena Suarez and Ruth Beechick. I saw this one at our library and thought it was really well-put together. If I was new to hsing, this is a book that would help me make sense of all the STUFF that is out there and available to homeschoolers.

I also recently read and enjoyed Love in the Time of Homeschooling, by Laura Brodie, which is about a mother and daughter who homeschooled for one 'sabbatical' fifth grade year. I found it a rather more balanced look at homeschooling than many other books on the subject, which tend to be too booster-ish for my taste.

:iagree: I read this recently, too, and liked it. Gives a very good idea of what day to day homeschooling can look like.