Menu

s/o Have You Been To A Grateful Dead Concert?

Have you been to a Grateful Dead concert?  

1. 1. Have you been to a Grateful Dead concert?

• Oh yes I have!
    • Not a â??Grateful Deadâ? show, but Jerry Garcia Band, Ratdog, Phil & Friends, etc
    • Never in person, but I have a collection of live shows.
    • Iâ??ve seen Phish. Do I get half credit? (Answer:No)
    • Would you accept String Cheese?
    • No. Not in this lifetime.

I have never been to a Dead concert, but, then again, I haven't been to many concerts in my lifetime. I have, however, worn a Dead sweatshirt, with pearls no less. My nephew, who spent a few summers following them across the country thought it was quite a hilarious combination - his super straight-laced aunt wearing a Dead shirt - with pearls.

I did! :hurray:

I'm not a huge Dead fan - a friend had an extra ticket - I was supposed to meet up w/her there, but never found her, so I was more like an observer. A Deadhead in the parking lot offered to trade a peanut butter-nana sandwich for my ticket, but...naaaah.

It was in Ohio - late 80's - early 90's? When would the last tour have been?

I like the Old and In the Way stuff better!

d00d, I had my own bus. And I made jewelry to finance my trips. We're in Joisey.

I remember a few. ;)

Lol, I just had them playing while I was finishing up the last of math with the kids. Dancing, too. :D We've moved onto to Led Zep.

My cousin is a graphic artist that makes some of Phish's posters.

I'm wonderful, you?

Edited by justamouse
pfftt. Spelling, of course.

I live in the PNW, am 39, was once invited to a show (in Hapmpton Rds VA) by a creepy boy so did not go.

Have been to a tribute show, where the guys re-created a recorded concert as perfectly as they could.

Considering that where I live is the pinnacle of hippie-ness, I have to keep my stance on the Dead (uneducated) very secret. There are some moments when a Dead song is the perfect background, though I think most of them I like were written by others. I do like "Shady Grove"... does that sort of count?

Dennis Miller: "My favorite Dead song? The short one."

(He said it, not me)

I don't consider myself a Deadhead, but I did dance on the wall in my bathing suit at the Venture shows at the beach. I saw 'em in a small theaters in Long Beach and Winterland in S.F. too. I also saw Jerry solo a lot of times mostly in the S.F. Bay Area. I never attached myself to music or the scene enough to follow them from city to city.

My neighbors are some downright serious Deadheads who went on numerous tours. They have tapes of almost every show the Dead did, and they have their picture in some glossy book of Deadhead followers.

Who are you? WildIris

Where are you? Northern California

How are you? Just fine, and you?

Edited by Wildiris
oh, who me?

Just got out of the Bob Marshall after an 18 day hike. I was more concerned about the hamburger into which I was going to shortly sink my teeth. :001_smile:

Wow, that's cool! Charbroiled cow after camp food does that to a person. ;)

I've always wanted to do an outward bound-just to see if I could. Maybe for my 45th birthday, I'll try it.

I went to a show about 15 (maybe 20?!) years ago in Eugene,which is where I was living at the time. I'm not really a fan, but I thought I ought to go as a cultural experience -- and I was an Indigo Girls fan, and they opened the show. I only have very, very vague memories of the show.

Edited by Momling

Many times. I was pretty bummed when Jerry died.

To this day I remember exactly where I was when I heard that he died; same with SRV.

That was a sad day in this house too. Love, love, love SRV.

4 concerts

Lisa (who has a vintage Dead poster hanging over the cat box-no offense meant, Jerry)

the beautiful PNW

Lovely, just lovely!

Bill, if I hadn't told you this, you wouldn't have guessed because it seems totally out of character, right?:D

Never seen the Dead, my bil was a dead head, do I get points for that.

Who are you?

Thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head!

I'm Paula

Where are you?

I'm in the classroom.

How are you?

I've been sick for two days, strung out on cold medicine. I could have been to a concert this week and not realized it. Tylenol severe cold can give you some funky dreams.

I was going to put "Would you accept string cheese?" thinking that was a pretty funny, random response.

But then I paused and thought "Wait a minute, maybe string cheese in this context is some band I never heard of and then my answer wouldn't really be relevant."

So. Uh. Is it? :D

High school drop out who toured.

I sold "ice-cold veggie Mountain Dews" for $1.00. I don't know why I called it that, but it was hilarious to me at the time.

I moved back to my home town after summer tour 1995 and I met my dh. NOT a dead head. Hated the Grateful Dead, in fact. Total metal-rocker dude. He constantly joked about the Dead in a negative way, so I totally didn't believe him when he told me Jerry died.

Never liked Bobby. Still don't.

All that said, I rarely, rarely listen to the Dead anymore.

Who are you?

a mom of 2 kids and an aspiring author

Where are you?

The bible belt.

How are you?

OK. I actually drove my college bf to the concert. I was the designated driver. It was crazy. You couldn't understand any of the words because everytime they sang everyone screamed. I enjoyed watching the people who did that special little dance. It was my only concert beside Kenny Rogers. Pretty pitiful, huh?

This was in the early 90's before Jerry Garcia died.

I actually attended one concert. They played the outdoor concert theater in my hometown every summer. We could hear the concerts from our neighborhood playground, so I heard them many times. The Dead Heads would move into town and take over the Mall and Symphony Woods and people's yards and the lobby of the Interfaith Center and, well everywhere.

I am Caroline. I am in the ballroom with the candlestick (don't tell Col. Mustard). I saw the Dead in Columbia, MD. And I'm fine.

Yes. While in college in the mid-80s. Blew off studying for a Communications test. When the prof saw my grade (low C), he asked what happened. I told him I'd had dinner at the Chinese place across from the Hartford Civic Center. Afterwards, we checked to see if there were any tickets to the Dead concert that was starting in a few minutes. There was. We went.

Prof ripped up my exam, and told me my final would count as my final grade and also as my replacement grade for the exam.

I received an A in the course. Draw any conclusion you want from that! :)

OK I've been to 7 or 8 shows. I had a boyfriend who was a true deadhead. He would go to 30 or more shows a year. He'd follow them with a group of friends for a few months at a time. When the Dead played Hampton, the group would swing by W&M and pick me up. I'd spend a few days in an alternate universe going to the shows. Before and after the shows I'd sell bumper stickers in the parking lots which my boyfriend and friends had designed and printed before the trip. I never did drugs, but everyone else did and they were all OK with me not. And overnight we'd cram 8 people in a cheap hotel room--the Dead usually came to Hampton during cold and rainy weather, so we didn't camp, but I know the group usually did camp out. I have great memories of those shows.

Sarah

Mid-Atlantic Coast

Living the dream:) Life is great...if you choose!

I would think the name of my blog would clue in fellow Deadheads...My parents started taking me to the Dead when I was 12...saw about 25 shows....Sure do miss Jerry.

This a Public Poll.

Who are you?

Where are you?

How are you?

Bill

Yes, I've been once.

I'm a 42 year old witch and all around bodacious babe.

I'm in the Great White North.

I'm just fine, thank you for asking.

Not my fave concert ever, but it was fun. I think. Mostly I remember that the hash was really, really good. :D

Edited by Audrey