Menu

What vet care is necessary for your dogs?

I am not wanting to start a fight. I love my dogs. I want to take care of them. But our budget is tight and we are trying desperately to get out of debt. We are trying to stretch every food dollar and buy everything used/clearance . . .

I went yesterday to purchase the dogs' flea/heartworm prevention medicine. I figure the cost will be nearly $200. But we got our tax refund, so we're good.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten they were due their check-ups last month. I can't get the medicine until they've had their heartworm check. I understand this. I want to do what's right. So I make the appointments to take them in.

It will be $215 per dog. Ouch. This covers rabies, parvo, distemper, and the heartworm check. Maybe something else -- I was figuring in my head and stopped paying attention.

Now the bill we're facing is over $600.

Do my dogs need all this? They live in and out of our house -- fenced in yard that backs up to neighbors' fenced in yards. There are gray squirrels and birds around . . .

Is there any discounted way to care for dogs? Should I shop around? Can I put off any of these vaccinations?

I do not mean to neglect them. I'm borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and trying to figure out what is necessary and what is reasonable. I'm trying to pay our dental bills and just found out my student loan is due NOW (I was hoping to defer until I finished school but didn't get into the last class I needed this term . . . ) Our oven works when it wants to and the washer is hit-or-miss. I was waiting for the tax refund to make these repairs and get caught up a little . . .

Please be gentle. :(

Edited by BamaTanya

This is one of those threads where I'm gonna get into trouble.........

Pets are pets,they come second. If you live in an area where heartworm is really bad, go for it. I personally do not think its healthy for pets to get all the shots every year, I'm more of a every 2 years type of person. I do not come into contact with a lot of other pets to be exposed, my dog almost never gets out of her yard. I did know someone who was a nurse who got the meds somehow and did shots for all the pets in the neighborhood. See if your vet (or another) can do just a shot clinic (no exam). In this economy they will understand. I have no problem stating that my children need to be fed before the dog gets parvo shots. I find most vets good at riding the fence b/t what is best for the pet, and what is best for the human family. Ask what he feel can be left off until later (one month, 6 months, 1 yr).

Lara

my mom takes her dogs in only every few years for check ups and what not, they are very healthy dogs and the vet understand why she can only bring them in that often. My cat hasn't been to a vet in 5 years, just don't see the need to do it, she is mainly an indoor cat and is also very healthy.

I love my pets. For us necessary animal care is to keep them flea free, thats it. I buy flea stuff at the pet store or walmart. I am not the person who does the preventives or yearly check ups. They are well fed, healthy, and loved. My dogs are all inside dogs, I have a doggy door so that they can go when the urge strikes them. I expect to have to dodge some paper balls for not doing more but in the end they are animals and to spend more than your budget allows is silly imo. I am sorry that you have to choose though, that is truely crumby.:glare:

I would say if you have to prioritize - the Rabies is a must.

All other shots are optional. Is your dog around other dogs a lot? If not - I wouldn't worry too much about parvo or distemper. Also - did you know that YOU can give those shots - except for the rabies which a vet must give (and you should get a certificate.) It is legal - and most breeders vaccinate their own pups. Our local Fleet Farm store sells dog vaccines - or you can search online.

I'm squeemish of needles so I could never do it...but I know many people who do (breeders/farmers, etc.)

There are other ways to save.

You could also call your local pet store/shelter to see if they have any vaccination clinics, as they often have discount vaccines.

We buy our heartworm and flea meds online (You can even check Ebay)

First of all...I'm sorry you are dealing with this. No one ever invests in a pet (financially and emotionally) and expects to be in these circumstances. So you won't get any judging from me on this.

I know where I live that Walgreens has a traveling pet van that offers vaccinations for like $10. I haven't gone to one yet, but the next time I see one, I'm going. I'm not sure if it's a local thing or not. You can contact your local Humane Society for some advice on this too. They would much rather help you find cheap shots/preventative care than to take your animal because you can no longer afford it.

HTH.

I spend a fair bit on vet care on my pets. My cat has arthritis and chronic renal failure - both these conditions cost us a fair chunk of change. My setter has an eye problem which requires ongoing treatment. Both he & my other dog are on joint preventatives etc etc etc.

BUT, I do not really do 'wellness' visits & I do not do routine vax.

Rabies is not mandatory here as an annual shot. Once they've had their puppy series, I consider them done. I titred my female for several things a year ago & boosted the one that came back low & that's it. I consider her DONE for the rest of her life as far as shots go.

I would question the need for the shots. It depends on what's the law in your area but immunity for many shots is considered lifelong once the basic series is done. There is research ongoing on this issue & be aware that it is highly controversial as for many years the annual shots & exam is how many vets made the bulk of their $.

I deworm my guys myself with panacur.

I do not do heartworm meds because it is not really common here. We're geographically out of bounds for it & though the occasional case pops up, it's always been an imported one. If it's a problem in your area, and you've been giving heartworm meds with no interruption then I don't see why you should need to retest. If they insist (which I've heard some vets do because if you've missed a month etc & the dog did pick it up, then it needs to be treated first & the flea/heartworm meds can really hurt the animal if they're hearworm+), well a test should be about 15-40$.

I do flea/tick topicals only when I absolutely need to & I buy them online from 1800petmeds which has great prices. If you want to use the ones which also prevent heartworm, you'll need a prescription from your vet which you're legally entitled to when you have your office visit btw. Check the prices and see if you can get a better deal ordering online.

I do fairly regular blood work on two of my animals due to their underlying health conditions but I don't consider that 'routine'.

Also, a vet consult & exam costs me 50-65 depending on which vet I see. Shots are about 20.

I'd consider calling around & comparing some prices for services. Vets are a business - they set their own prices.

I don't seem to have a problem with fleas since I treat my yard....those yearly shots are not at all necessary if you ask me (Oh wait....did you? LOL). I agree with the other poster who said all those shots every year can't be a good thing.....

Find out what is required by law first. My pets don't go every year except for rabies. We treat the yard for ticks and fleas though. I would also recommend you call around to other vets. When we had ot have the cats updated for our homestudy, we found a great vet that did everything for $100 less per cat. She now has all of our business.

If you don't want to give the shots, you can also call rescue organizations. Here they often have rabies and other vacs available a few times a year at a discount. It is a fund raiser for them.

They can tell you if they know of a low-cost vaccination clinic in your area.

It was $50 each for my BIG dogs to get their yearly vaccinations.

Heartworm test (we had missed a month or two) was $10 each.

Their heartworm meds were also discounted--you can also get a script from them or a vet and buy these online.

Heartworm tabs alone are inexpensive... it is the fancy flea stuff that costs--it depends on how bad your flea population is...

So my dogs got taken care of for $60 plus heartworm/flea meds. Our local vet (whom I love but have alread paid for his child's college...) would have charged about $175 for the exam plus the shots--not including the heartworm meds! This saved us over $200!!!!!!

Some shelters will also do the shots for a nominal charge.

I have two older JRT's and they only get their rabies shots. They go out in our little fenced in "backyard" and come right back in! They don't hang out with other dogs or anything. Just us. Now, our horse is a different story. She gets everything she needs each spring and fall and that is NOT cheap!

I live in the country and have four dogs. I do rabies every couple of years and a topical flea/tick medication for the one inside/outside dog. That's it. My dogs are happy, healthy creatures!

If I was in your situation I'd get the absolute bare minimum that you need - usually rabies and call it good.

I encourage you to check on your local law. Our city requires rabies shots every year for all pets...which imo is ridiculous. But it's the law, and heaven forbid a pet should ever bite anyone, even in your own family.

This happened to me--my elderly sick cat gave me a deep puncture bite on the thumb last year during a visit from the mobile vet--I was trying to secure her while he tried to draw blood--she drew mine instead. Her decline in health was sudden and rapid, or else I would have had her seen sooner. Still probably would not have gotten a rabies shot.

I had to go to urgent care b/c it was getting infected even after a couple hours, they had to report it to animal control. Our cat had not been to the vet or had shots in years. She was placed under quarantine at home for 10 days. Had she lived, I would have just had to pay a fine. As it was, she was so sick we had to put her down before the quarantine was over and pay for a rabies test (clearly not rabid-- stupid law) AND pay the fine.

We have a new kitten now who had all her shots. I don't know what to do about future vet care. Probably we will not get her shots every year, I think it's just so hard on the animal, and not necessary. But if they bite someone (not to say yours will!)...it could get tricky. It's a gamble either way. I would definitely check for low-cost shot clinics--the local animal shelter should know about some.

Look for a low cost vaccination clinic. Is Tractor Supply Company in your area? At ours they do a low cost clinic once a month; that's where we take our cats. In Alabama, I would definitely, definitely do heartworm. We're in GA; my mom fosters cocker spaniels, and it's crazy how many of them come to her with heartworms....I would say at least 10-15%. The treatment is really expensive, and one of her fosters died from heartworm a couple of months ago. You can get the preventative cheaper ordering it online than from your vet, though....you just have to get a prescription from the vet.

Check what the laws are in your area. Where I live, rabies is given every 3 years rather than every year. Several of the other vax are spaced out more than one year apart after the puppy series.

Since we live in an area that has very bad mosquitos and is at-risk for fleas and ticks year-round, we keep up with Frontline and Interceptor every month.

One of our dogs did end up with heartworm before we started doing heartworm medication. She recovered completely, but it was very expensive.

I am not wanting to start a fight. I love my dogs. I want to take care of them. But our budget is tight and we are trying desperately to get out of debt. We are trying to stretch every food dollar and buy everything used/clearance . . .

I went yesterday to purchase the dogs' flea/heartworm prevention medicine. I figure the cost will be nearly $200. But we got our tax refund, so we're good.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten they were due their check-ups last month. I can't get the medicine until they've had their heartworm check. I understand this. I want to do what's right. So I make the appointments to take them in.

It will be $215 per dog. Ouch. This covers rabies, parvo, distemper, and the heartworm check. Maybe something else -- I was figuring in my head and stopped paying attention.

Now the bill we're facing is over $600.

Do my dogs need all this? They live in and out of our house -- fenced in yard that backs up to neighbors' fenced in yards. There are gray squirrels and birds around . . .

Is there any discounted way to care for dogs? Should I shop around? Can I put off any of these vaccinations?

I do not mean to neglect them. I'm borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and trying to figure out what is necessary and what is reasonable. I'm trying to pay our dental bills and just found out my student loan is due NOW (I was hoping to defer until I finished school but didn't get into the last class I needed this term . . . ) Our oven works when it wants to and the washer is hit-or-miss. I was waiting for the tax refund to make these repairs and get caught up a little . . .

Please be gentle. :(

Where we live, keeping rabies up to date is the only way to get dog licensed. It is #1 priority.

#2 priority - anything they may actually get that would be life threatening. Is heartworm prevalent where you live? Have you been giving it year round? I don't see the point in testing yearly if you give it year round.

In our area, there are no mosquitoes half the year. My dog is supposed to go to the vet last month too, but I have medications left. I hope she'll be reasonable and realize the chances of our (indoor) dog actually having it while receiving meds since last year, are slim to none.

If all else fails, have you asked if you can get some of the vaxes and administer them yourself? Rabies (I think) needs to be given intramuscularly, most just go under the skin. Do you have a friend who can do it? I'd do it for you if I lived closer. Injections are no big deal. I've stuck horses, sheep, goats, rabbits, dogs, cats (the worst!!) you name it, I've probably given it a shot or pills.

Call around and find a cheaper vet! Those prices are ridiculous. I have large dogs and pay half of what you are being told. For us, rabies vacc is required every 2 years and that is all my vet will give it :). Heartworm is a huge problem here, but if you keep the dog on preventative all the time, again my vet only test every other year. He is all about keeping prices reasonable. His office visit charge is $30, and when I bring 2 dogs in at the same time, he only charges that once. I could find vets that charge much more, but I have a pre-vet degree myself and I really like my vet. He's great. Expensive doesn't equal high quality.

Talk to your vet about the other vaccines. See what is high risk for your dogs. It may be that none are needed. It may be that there is a real epidemic of distemper in the area. He/she should be willing to talk to you and do only what you want.

I called the SPCA and found a low-cost clinic ($8 for rabies vax -- required -- and $12.50 for heartworm test). What a relief!

I know we need to prevent fleas since our infestation last year was awful. And heartworms are a concern in our area. I'll check to see what the cost is at this clinic or see if I can get a scrip from them.

I appreciate your input!

Our vet clinic does $9 shot deals, and that's usually when I take my dogs in. Actually one of my dogs needs a rabies vax but I am going to let my husband deal with it when he gets home because I dislike going to the vet because they seem to look for every way to gouge you. I still remember my husband's expression when he found out they'd talked me into a "necessary" dental cleaning, but to do the cleaning they had to sedate my dog, but before they could do the sedation they had to do a blood test. So to clean the teeth of my dog who has no dental problems it ended up costing at least a couple hundred. They really push all the optional shots and treatments. Oh and of course they think every dog needs prescription food. The flea treatments they sell (Frontline) are ineffective against the fleas here and ended up killing one of my cats. Now I buy K9 Advantix at Costco (cheaper and much more effective).

I am very skeptical about the vaccine schedule. I do remember reading from a vet that the booster shots were a racket, and that immunity to most of the diseases is much longer than the schedule allows.

So in a nutshell, I get my dogs the required shots when I get around to it, but I don't do preventive health. My dogs stay in our large yard so they are not exposed to other dogs, and they are healthy and hardy.

I give my dogs their shots myself. I buy them at the farmers co-op. They are only $4 each. Giving the shot is outrageously easy. All you would have to do is read about it online and you could do it.

Our dogs get:

Combo "distemper" - given by me. If I'm strapped for cash- I skip it.

Rabies : Given by me. This is a must.

Spot on flea & tic treatment monthly (Not Frontline - too expensive, I use the cheap stuff and it works just fine.)

Flea colar, new each spring

Heart worm treatment. I give mine .1 ml per 10 lbs. of body weight, once per month, orally of 1% cattle Ivermectin injectible. I do not test for heartworm.

I only test a dog for worms if they seem "wormy" (loose stool, rough coat, thin). Otherwise, once a year I give them a worming dose of ivermectin which is more then the heartworm dose. (They are never "wormy".)

Edited by katemary63

We are in a rabies/heartworm area, so both of those are must-do's for us. The rest.... I do once in a while when we can afford it. The local shelter does $5 rabies shots. Rabies lasts 3 years (though there is a kind that lasts 1 year.) The heartworm blood test shouldn't cost all that much. The heartworm pills--argh. I'm convinced they are a racket. There was a vet around here who would prescribe the liquid kind. That's what they give horses apparently. It is cheap, cheap, cheap. So the pills shouldn't be as expensive as they are. Anyway, perhaps there is a vet in your area who would prescribe the liquid kind. Your dog will hate it, but give her or him something nice tasting afterward.

The heartworm pills--argh. I'm convinced they are a racket. There was a vet around here who would prescribe the liquid kind. That's what they give horses apparently. It is cheap, cheap, cheap. So the pills shouldn't be as expensive as they are. Anyway, perhaps there is a vet in your area who would prescribe the liquid kind. Your dog will hate it, but give her or him something nice tasting afterward.

It IS a racket. The drug I mentioned in my post above is what you are talking about. It is called ivermectin. For horses, it comes in paste form. For cattle and hogs, in liquid as a pour on or injectable. It is the EXACT SAME DRUG that is in your Heartguard. It is MUCH cheaper to give the cattle injectable (orally) then to buy the pills or chewables for dogs - pennies on the dollar. It is true that the dogs don't like the flavor, but you just squirt in down their throats with a syringe and it's over in two seconds. (no needle of course!) Then give a dog treat. They are all used to it since we do it every month.

It depends on the dog and the living environment, I think. I have a cocker spaniel who literally leaves my house on a leash about 3 times a day to poo and pee in my sight line and trots back inside. He stays away from home (at a boarding kennel) about 1 time a year and before that, we get his Kennel Cough shot.

He has had 5 years of the main shots. We stopped those this year. He gets rabies every 3 years (as is legal in our state) and I am pretty adamant about that one (even if it wasn't the law, we live up in the mtns and we see wild animals DAILY here. Even though he is not outside without me, I just wouldn't take a chance like that...what if the kids run outside and leave the door open, ya know?).

I do give Rosco heartworm/flea meds in the summer as well. Again...we live in the mtns and we have a creek in our backyard. Lots of deer abound - most of the time, right in the front yard. We have to be careful with ticks and such here. The creek draws mosquitos and I wouldn't want to take a chance there either.

I haven't read any of the replies.

I don't do this anymore. I use a vet when my dogs NEED a vet. Other than that, we go to Petco for the rabies clinic. They offer all shots but it's cheaper to order them through Fosters and Smith and do them yourself. I am comfortable with this as I've given humans shots, horses, llamas, pigs, dogs, cats. I get the heartworm and 3 year rabies and am good to go. I think it's $68 per animal and the clinics, offered by Love My Pet, are also offered at some local animal rescue leagues. They do a small exam.

I want to check into the local town offering of rabies. It used to be dirt cheap. Then I could do that and only to go the clinic for a heartworm test. I don't understand why you have to be tested every year even if you're on meds year round.

I do have vets I use regularly, but only for medical reasons. I don't do annual check-ups anymore as we have our own self funded rescue with 37 animals.

I give my dogs their shots myself. I buy them at the farmers co-op. They are only $4 each. Giving the shot is outrageously easy. All you would have to do is read about it online and you could do it.

Our dogs get:

Combo "distemper" - given by me. If I'm strapped for cash- I skip it.

Rabies : Given by me. This is a must.

Spot on flea & tic treatment monthly (Not Frontline - too expensive, I use the cheap stuff and it works just fine.)

Flea colar, new each spring

Heart worm treatment. I give mine .1 ml per lb of body weight, once per month, orally of 1% cattle Ivermectin injectible. I do not test for heartworm.

I only test a dog for worms if they seem "wormy" (loose stool, rough coat, thin). Otherwise, once a year I give them a worming dose of ivermectin which is more then the heartworm dose. (They are never "wormy".)

You have GOT to be kidding me. How much do you give for the dogs? I can't believe I've never figured this out for my dogs. I have it on hand year round for my farm animals!!! But I have a 65 pound dog, a 10 pound dog, and a 13 pound dog. How would you figure doses for the littles? Do you give it to your cats? Can you buy rabies shots anywhere?

You have GOT to be kidding me. How much do you give for the dogs? I can't believe I've never figured this out for my dogs. I have it on hand year round for my farm animals!!! But I have a 65 pound dog, a 10 pound dog, and a 13 pound dog. How would you figure doses for the littles? Do you give it to your cats? Can you buy rabies shots anywhere?

You cannot give ivermectin to cats. You can search the internet and find dosages online for dogs for heartworm prevention and for deworming dosages. Even mange has a different dosage. (Ivermectin does not treat tapeworms in dogs, just as it does not in cattle or horses.) I give all my dogs .1 ml/ 10 lb. of body weight. So a 100 lb. dog would get 1 ml. A 10 lb. dog would only get .1 ml. You can use an insulin syringe in order to get the dosage right. However, I am not a vet and recommend you research this and come to your own conclusion. FYI: This is how almost all goat and sheep ranchers treat their livestock guardian dogs. I've been doing it for years and so have many that I know. ( I am talking about 1% ivermectin cattle injectable - not any other formulation of ivermectin of which there are several.)

I buy rabies vaccine in 10 dose vials and give it to all my horses, dogs and cats. (not cattle or goats but I'm sure you could). It is the same vaccine for all species and is less than $2 / dose when purchased in the 10 dose vial. I get mine at the farmer's co-op. You can order from Jeffers online if you live in certain states. The only think with giving the rabies yourself is that if your dog does bite someone, you would still have to have it quarantined. The dog is only legally considered vaccinated if a vet gives the shot. But, I am in the country and don't have to lisence my dogs and none of them would ever in a million years bite a human, so I'm good. :001_smile:

Please note: the dosage I stated in my original post had a typo and was copied in a quote. I corrected it in the original post. The dosage I use is .1 ml. / 10 lbs body weight. NOT .1 ml. / lb. body weight. Sorry for the error and again, research your own dosages if you decide to give this to your dog.

I have two friends who are vet techs. Neither vac their dogs against anything other than rabies. According to them, other diseases are rarely contracted and easily treated.

Fwiw, my grandma had many dogs who lived outside in all weather in upstate NY, were never vac'd and lived healthy lives into their late teens. There's a huge part of me that thinks all these shots and checkups are simply money-makers for the vets.

Flea treatment and worm treatment as needed, including regular heartworm treatment.

Shots as puppies- none since.

BIL is a vet...handy but we've only ever used him for puppy shots. Ideally I would get distemper shorts every few years, but I dont.

No rabies in Australia.

As far as I am concerned, vets and dentists need to make a living, so they set up check-up schedules that keep the money pouring in. Takes a lot of money to pay off those student loans! Excuse my cycnicism but I took my rabbit to the vet because I was concerned about her and $200 later, I was none the wiser, and the vet wanted me to spend hundreds of $ more. She did die shortly after, but honestly, if I had spent all that money, I think she would have died anyway, and as much as I love my rabbits, I am not spening $1000 on one, particularly a fairly old one.

And dentists- don't get me started.

These people run businesses. They need to make money, and they charge ridiculousy high fees for often very basic tasks. Its their bread and butter. Don't fall for feeling guilty that you don't do what they say. I am not saying that many or most dont have integrity, but its the same with doctors- they are educated institutionally, and fed the information they are fed, often by vested interests. Do your own research, look up natural health care for dogs, give them the best diet you can afford (which will be raw rather than processed and cooked) and go from there.

Re the rabies - I strongly urge everyone to not vaccinate more frequently than the law mandates in your area. In some areas - like mine - there is NO requirement for annual or 3 yrs etc rabies vax.

There is a large push right now to fund the rabies challenge project, in which research is being conducted to test duration of immunity. Read up on it here:

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

There is a lot of info there but basically, repeat unnecessary booster are risky for the animal.

vaccination against rabies virus is occasionally associated with debilitating adverse effects. According to the CDC domestic animals account for less than 10% of the reported rabies cases, with cats, cattle, and dogs most often reported rabid. Scientific data indicate that vaccinating dogs against rabies every three years, as most states require, is unnecessary.

(from the education section of the RCF site)

Of course you need to follow your regional laws but don't go into the 'better safe than sorry' mode without understanding the risks of rabies vax.

Ella Bella just had her yearly checkup.

Here's what we got:

1 Bordetella vaccination 18.00

1 DAPP vaccination 15.00

1 Fecal flotation test 15.00

2 Frontline -6 month supply 77.50

1 heartworm/erlichia/lyme/anaplasm 25.00

1 Lepto-4 vaccination 15.00

1 User fee 2.00

1 Wellness screening 10.00

2 Boxes interceptor-1 year supply 78.00

Total 255.50 --she will not need anything except more Frontline for the year.

We travel to other countries and so this is necessary as well as the Bordetella for boarding when she can't come along.

edited to add: her rabies vaccine is good another year, so she didn't need that.

I wish I had realized about the heartworm preventable before I bought a year's worth for two dogs.:glare: I don't think my vet's office will take it back.

We used our tax refund for the vet for both dogs and the heartworm preventative was the most expensive part! The regular checkup, heartworm check, rabies, and other vaccine (can't remember which one) was less than $200 for both dogs combined. However, one of my dogs has ehrlichia, so he had a blood panel done to check for complications (he also needed to have his thyroid checked.) That was another $94. Then added the heartworm medication on top of that!

When I added up how much I had spent at the vet's and for the flea/tick treatments at the pet store, it was insane. Why in the world did I spend that much on my DOGS?!?! The food my mother insists I need to feed them is a crazy amount, too.

I think in the future I will just take them to get rabies shots at a clinic and skip the vet. For food, they are going to get some plain old dog food. It's ridiculous! My dogs are getting older (8 yrs., large labs) and, well, they are going to die someday.

It IS a racket. The drug I mentioned in my post above is what you are talking about. It is called ivermectin.

Doh! I did realize it was the same thing. I don't know why we've been buying the dog stuff. I knew better! We used horse wormer paste for pretty much all our critters (except cats) when I was a kid.

Heartworm - yes. Rabies - of course.

I pay $22 a month for pet insurance - it pays for itself as it reimburses part of each shot, and covers a big hunk of the emergency stuff Captain seems to encounter (pit bull attack, stick lodged in throat, deep cut in paw from glass in the river...)

Vets have as much schooling as people docs (and the student loans to prove it ;) ) so they charge what they have to. Seems a lot to us as we are paying 100% out of pocket (then filing for reimbursement if we have bought the insurance) vs. a co=pay for a people doc.

We do all the puppy/kitten shots, the rabies vax only as required by law (for us, three years), a monthly heartworm/dewormer pill for the dog, and topical flea/tick stuff for the dog in the summer months (cats are indoor). We don't do well visits and our animals are all very healthy and happy.

We recently changed vets from one I'd been going to for almost 20 years because they were getting outrageously expensive. They wanted a ridiculous amount of money to spay our kitten so I got recommendations from friends and made some calls. The vet we wound up having her spayed at is closer and the procedure was half the cost! I do wish I could find a vet, though, who wouldn't keep pressuring me about getting routine vaccinations. :glare:

How are you able to do the rabies shot at home? Any state I have been in states that rabies must be done by a licensed vet.

I explained in a later post. In order to license your dog in a city and have it considered legally vaccinated by the city or state, you would have to have a vet give the rabies shot. However, in the country, we do not have to license our dogs. Also, if my dog bites someone, they would not take my word for it that he had his rabies shot and I would have to have him quarantined for 10 days.

MY goal is simply to protect my dogs from rabies since they are farm dogs and often encounter skunks and racoons. I am not worried about compliance with any city or state regulations. It is not illegal to vaccinate your own dog for rabies. But if you do, the dog is not considered vaccinated by the city or state government and that fact just doesn't effect me.

None of my dogs would ever in a million years bite a human, so I'm not worried about that aspect either. The minute risk that it could happen and I would have to quarantine my dog is not a worry for me. I KNOW they have been vaccinated and are fine.

You cannot give ivermectin to cats. You can search the internet and find dosages online for dogs for heartworm prevention and for deworming dosages. Even mange has a different dosage. (Ivermectin does not treat tapeworms in dogs, just as it does not in cattle or horses.) I give all my dogs .1 ml/ 10 lb. of body weight. So a 100 lb. dog would get 1 ml. A 10 lb. dog would only get .1 ml. You can use an insulin syringe in order to get the dosage right. However, I am not a vet and recommend you research this and come to your own conclusion. FYI: This is how almost all goat and sheep ranchers treat their livestock guardian dogs. I've been doing it for years and so have many that I know. ( I am talking about 1% ivermectin cattle injectable - not any other formulation of ivermectin of which there are several.)

I buy rabies vaccine in 10 dose vials and give it to all my horses, dogs and cats. (not cattle or goats but I'm sure you could). It is the same vaccine for all species and is less than $2 / dose when purchased in the 10 dose vial. I get mine at the farmer's co-op. You can order from Jeffers online if you live in certain states. The only think with giving the rabies yourself is that if your dog does bite someone, you would still have to have it quarantined. The dog is only legally considered vaccinated if a vet gives the shot. But, I am in the country and don't have to lisence my dogs and none of them would ever in a million years bite a human, so I'm good. :001_smile:

this is EXCELLENT!!! Thank you! I had no idea!

I do believe we need to do rabies for the town, even though we live in the country. Drats! But I'll buy it for the cats, two of whom just showed up and never left!

I called the SPCA and found a low-cost clinic ($8 for rabies vax -- required -- and $12.50 for heartworm test). What a relief!

I know we need to prevent fleas since our infestation last year was awful. And heartworms are a concern in our area. I'll check to see what the cost is at this clinic or see if I can get a scrip from them.

I appreciate your input!

If you get a chance, could you PM me with the name and city of the low-cost clinic? I'm in Alabama, too:)

Rabies is required yearly where I am. Even though the vaccine is a 2-year vaccine. No other boosters. No annual testing. Monthly heartworm preventative is done year round and I use horse paste or cattle injectable that I calculate the proper dosage. (I'm a peds nurse and accustomed to calculating and handling very small doses of medications.)

You know what they say - it's not the getting, it's the keeping. Pets are expensive. (So are children for that matter. LOL). Isn't that why Soph the Vet says she has no pets?

I do like to consider what is actually medically necessary v. what is fluff or 'nice to have' but not a necessity. But I would not recommend truly skimping on medical expenses for our pets.

Eventually you need blood panels & urine cultures and sometimes xrays. Vets can only tell so much from palpating and eyeballing and unlike us or our kids, pets don't say 'my bladder hurts' or 'I always get a sore stomach for an hour after eating' or 'I feel really sick'. They stoically carry on, wagging their tails and pleasing us. They hide pain really well but it doesn't mean they don't have pain. And I don't think it excuses us from caring for them.

And vets are highly trained, have big overheads and are still giving us a good deal compared to what it costs to treat people for the same conditions.

My dogs are getting older (8 yrs., large labs) and, well, they are going to die someday

:svengo:

We're ALL going to die. So what? We still need medical care, preventative care, early diagnosis which perhaps allows for reasonable $ treatment, pain relief etc etc etc.

I don't disagree that it's tough knowing where to draw lines. Most of us don't have the luxury of bottomless bank accounts. But IMO we are talking basics here. Those costs need to be considered as baseline annual costs,

I posted about the online supplies (or yeah, you can buy the horse stuff in bulk etc) because it's one small way people can save $. I'd rather people spent that $ on a thorough vet exam or blood work (a full panel, not a heartworm test etc) or imaging etc. Or put it in a bank acct & save it for when Fido gets sick.

I've got a foster dog here who is incurring huge vet bills for the charity which rescued him from a really bad situation. He's already had dental surgery, blood work, abdominal ultrasound, prescription medicines, some expensive supplements, & now he's up for a consult with specialist surgeons and internal med specialists. Not once has anyone at the charity said $ is the issue. It's his quality of life that's the concern. Can he survive the very complicated surgery he needs, what will his prognosis be, can the surgery even be done at this stage (it should have been done a long long time ago) or is it too late, is he much too sick to even consider it. I'm going for a consult with a surgeon at a specialist hospital today about this dog. I hope we get some answers for the poor guy. In the meantime, volunteers will fundraise their butts off to fill up the bank accounts to pay his bills. I've got to say I like these people. :thumbup: