Menu

AWESOME cheap digital microscope/camera!

We just bought a Zorb digital microscope for $35 from Amazon. This is the coolest thing EVER! http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Optical-Orange/dp/B001GIJZX8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268334600&sr=8-2

It captures photos like a digital camera and works by plugging into a USB port. If you plug it into a laptop, you can take it anywhere (no electrical outlet needed ~ powered through the USB port). It's 35x power, and has 4 LED lights. Here are some pix we took with it yesterday (we had to use bugs from our dead bug collection, since it's too cold to get "fresh" ones, so they're a little dusty).

Cicada Killer face:

CicadaKillerFace.jpg

Junebug face:

JuneBugFace.jpg

Just hatched katydid (we think ~ it's barely visible to the naked eye):

Hatchling2.jpg

We had soooo much fun with this yesterday and took dozens of pictures. I'll spare you the photos the kids took up their noses, inside their ears, scabs, boogers, etc. :lol:

Jackie

• 1 year later...

Wanted to bump this up. Amazon has the green zorbs for 19.28 right now. There aren't many in stock, but I figured it might help someone. It's going in our gift closet--if I can keep it under wraps til Christmas.

Orange and blue are at regular price only Safari green is cheaper.

Mine came today! We played with it for, oh, about TWO HOURS!!! We even called my mother and had her come over to see its awesomeness. Now, though, I am so thoroughly disgusted my the state of my filthy ears and toes that I may never venture outside again.

Now, though, I am so thoroughly disgusted my the state of my filthy ears and toes that I may never venture outside again.

Did you check your bellybutton? Ours came today and we had a blast playing with it, but the inside of bellybuttons are nasty. We are doing some targeted special scrubbing tonight :001_smile:

Wanted to bump this up. Amazon has the green zorbs for 19.28 right now. There aren't many in stock, but I figured it might help someone. It's going in our gift closet--if I can keep it under wraps til Christmas.

Orange and blue are at regular price only Safari green is cheaper.

that's awesome thank you I just bought 1 for my son and 1 for me too! you can't beat It for 20 bucks!

Looks like they pulled the sale. :001_huh:

I just (as in 6:20 am Eastern time) ordered the green one for $19'ish. Now why green is $20 cheaper than orange or blue, I can't imagine. It does say the stock is low but that more are on the way. No idea whether the new stock would also be $19.

Thanks to whomever posted about this--my 8 yo will be in heaven at Christmas.

Terri

We just bought a Zorb digital microscope for $35 from Amazon. This is the coolest thing EVER! http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Optical-Orange/dp/B001GIJZX8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268334600&sr=8-2

It captures photos like a digital camera and works by plugging into a USB port. If you plug it into a laptop, you can take it anywhere (no electrical outlet needed ~ powered through the USB port). It's 35x power, and has 4 LED lights. Here are some pix we took with it yesterday (we had to use bugs from our dead bug collection, since it's too cold to get "fresh" ones, so they're a little dusty).

We had soooo much fun with this yesterday and took dozens of pictures. I'll spare you the photos the kids took up their noses, inside their ears, scabs, boogers, etc. :lol:

Jackie

Amazing pix -- and a great bug collection! I didn't realize how much I needed this until I saw the post -- seems perfect for lukewarm about nature, techie ds.

Oh no, the Amazon reviews are very negative about Zorb + Mac OS. Anyone using this on a Mac?

I just (as in 6:20 am Eastern time) ordered the green one for $19'ish. Now why green is $20 cheaper than orange or blue, I can't imagine. It does say the stock is low but that more are on the way. No idea whether the new stock would also be $19.

Thanks to whomever posted about this--my 8 yo will be in heaven at Christmas.

Terri

Glad it's back on again! I ordered one at the sale price, but then went back and checked and the green one was regular price. I checked a few more times before posting it here.

I'm waiting on an Amazon gift card I earned to come. This is what I'm buying with it! Thanks for posting it, maybe it will get used more than the expensive Sonlight microscope that is sitting out and collecting dust (despite my encouragement for the little people to use it). :tongue_smilie:

Cool! I just ordered a green one for $17.32. It wasn't the default price when I clicked the link. I had to click the "16 new from:" link to see the direct from amazon offer at the best price. I guess it wasn't showing as the default since it estimates 2 to 4 weeks to ship.